Thread: AAHL 2010-2011, Alive for another season!

AAHL 2010-2011, Alive for another season!

The All American Hockey League is still hanging around (my friends and I refer to this league as the Anyone Allowed Hockey League). I would classify this league as a Tier 3 Single 'A' professional team. FHL would be Tier 2 Single 'A' and the SPHL would be Tier 1 Single 'A'.

Teams for the Season:

Battle Creek Revolution - Battle Creek, Michigan
    Indiana Blizzard (Relocated Western Michigan Blizzard franchise) - Dyer, Indiana
    Lapeer Loggers (Expansion) - Lapeer, Michigan
    Queen City Storm (Expansion) - Sharonville, Ohio
    Troy Bruins (Expansion) - Troy, Ohio
    Wooster Korn Kings (Relocated Madison Ice Muskies) - Wooster, Ohio

AAHL player saves lives from building on fire.

It may be a low level league, but it does have a hero.

By: Will Kowalski
    Battle Creek Enquirer

Being a professional hockey player takes courage.

And so does stepping up off the ice when life-and-death emergencies occur.

Ky Moje, a second-year forward on the Battle Creek Revolution hockey team, was one of several people who offered assistance to those trying to escape a fire early Sunday morning that ravaged an apartment building at the Pines of Pennfield.

It was a blaze that left two people dead, several others injured and many homeless.

Moje, along with most of the rest of the Revolution players, live at the Pines complex during the season.

And a few hours after the team arrived back home from a 9-3 road win at the Indiana Blizzard on Saturday night, Moje said he was just getting ready to go to bed following a couple of hours of winding down from the game when the tragic situation occurred just after 5:30 a.m.

"We (the Revs players) live in one of the buildings at the top of the hill at the complex ... and just as I was about ready to turn in and get some sleep when I heard a girl screaming,'' Moje said after the Revs' practice at Revolution Arena on Tuesday afternoon.

"Because of my viewpoint at the top of the hill area, I could see down to where the apartment building below us was on fire. In about a second, I put on my shoes, ran out the door and started running toward that building.''

Moje said that when he got to the scene, he immediately heard a woman screaming on a third-floor balcony of an apartment while clutching her baby - pleading with someone to help her and her child find safety.

"And a few seconds later, after another guy who lived in the complex wound up standing next to me just below that balcony area, the lady felt confident that we would catch her child if she threw the baby down to us. And that's just what happened. She tossed the baby in the air, the guy I was with caught most of the child while I was kind of there spotting him ... and a few minutes later she jumped, too.

"I was ready to try to help and catch or break her fall after she jumped, but she wound up falling onto the second-floor balcony instead - where I think she broke her leg - and then she wound up coming down from that second-floor balcony. Hurt but alive.''

Moje, a 23-year-old right-handed shot from Minneapolis who rooms with first-year Rev player Matt Kopke, said that moments later he then kicked in a window of a ground-floor apartment to help a man escape from the blaze -seconds after the apartment's light went on and he saw somebody inside the apartment moving around in a panic.

"It was just an unreal situation, something I'd never seen before in real life. It was like the movie 'Backdraft' or something,'' recalled Moje, who said several of his Revolution teammates were there on the scene as well within minutes of when the blaze started, "even before the fire department and everybody else got there.''

"I mean, like in that movie, it seemed like there was an air pouch in the building, and everything seemed like it was ready to blow,'' he said. "And the heat from that fire, man, one of the metal doors to get out of that building was hot like coal. It was just all red.

"It was really, really scary.''

Moje downplayed any notion that he was a "hero'' during the situation.

"Hey, I just did what I thought had to be done. I just tried to help. Any of our boys (Rev teammates) could have been the one who was there first. I just happened to be the one who was still up at the time.''

Rick Williams, one of the Revs' owners, said: "Ky Moje in my mind is a hero. He helped save people's lives. And that's what I love about the players we have on our team. We get players who yes, can play very good hockey, but who are great people off the ice, too. People who care about others and care about the community.''

Revs head coach Bobby Clouston concurred.

"The way I understand it, Ky did what the 'average' person would do. But in this case, the 'average' person didn't do. I heard a lot of people we're just standing around watching and not helping.

"Did what Ky do make him a hero? I don't know. But is Ky Moje a pretty remarkable person. Yes. Fifteen years from now, that lady and her baby are going to look back and still realize that what Ky did helped save their lives.

"I'm proud of all of my players ... and what Ky did, I'm really proud of.''

The Revs, 2-1 on the season, play two home games this weekend: At 7:30 p.m. Friday against Troy, and at 7 p.m. Saturday against Lapeer.

Will Kowalski/Battle Creek Enquirer

Wooster Korn Kings folded yesterday. Now the league has 5 teams.

This 'pro' league looks like it could be having another tough season.

Indiana Blizzard have folded. League has 4 teams, again. Just like last season, started with 6 ended with 4.

http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/a...e-leaving-AAHL

1 gone, another 1 back

Well, the Blizzard may have left, but the league has brought back another franchise from the grave... The Chi-Town Shooters are back!

The Shooters will take on the Blizzards schedule as well as current record.

RIP Lapeer Loggers?

Lapeer has had some serious issues this season! First all the Canadian players had immigration issues (team not paying fees?) and left the country; then the players refused to play before a game until they got paid money that was owed to them; then the coach resigned for not getting paid; and now the league will be taking over the franchise to settle debts after being locked out from their rink!

Here is an article by Brendan Savage of the Flint Journal who has been covering the team, about the owner and how he is owning up to mistakes.

Among the problems Harrison cited was being an absentee owner.
    When he was awarded the franchise in August, Harrison said he had no intention of being a hands-on owner. Instead, he hired his 23-year-old son Tyler — a recent college graduate with a degree in sports management — to be the general manager while his brother Chuck was also part of the front-office crew.
    The financial problems started about a month ago when box-office receipts began to dry up and money because tight because sponsorships the Loggers were counting on didn't materialize and attendance wasn't as strong as originally expected.

Harrison admitted that the size of some crowds was exaggerated and that bills added up quickly once the season started.

He estimated it cost $1,000 every time the Loggers played a road game.
    “You have $8.50 tickets and $6.50 tickets and with a $3,000 (per week) salary cap, that money evaporates pretty fast,” he said. “You have to pay a coach and when you go on the road, it's a G-note every game.

Little update on this league. All the teams have folded!
    Only real team left is Battle Creek Revolution and they are currently playing the Chi-Town Shooters in the Davidson Cup playoffs.

Chi-Town was brought back after the Indiana Blizzard folded. I expect this will be the last season of the AAHL (Anyone Allowed Hockey League )

Anyone Allowed Hockey League - almost done

If anyone still cares, the playoffs are almost finished in this comedy of a league. Can you call a league with 2 teams a league?

Battle Creek Revolution lead the series against the Chi-Town Shooters 3-2. Rev's can win the Davidson Cup on Saturday in Chi-Town.

Aahl - fold

If anyone cares, the league announced that it is 'suspending' operations for 2011-12 season.
    http://aahl.pointstreaksites.com/vie...box/news_27777
    Battle Creek, MI - The All American Hockey League announces today that the league will suspend operations for the 2011-2012 season.

The All American Hockey League saw three seasons between 2008-2011 and three different Champions. The league also sent many players up to the next level.

For more information about the All American Hockey League and a hopeful 2012-2013 season, contact us at info@aahlhockey.com
    I will just say what everyone is thinking, this league is dead. It died during this season when they only had 2 teams left!

The league had an interesting short history and was more of a beer league than a pro league. It was called the All-American Hockey League, but to me and many others it will be remembered as the Anyone Allowed Hockey League.

RIP AAHL

Regarding your last message... are you saying that there was only 2 teams in the league?

Quote Originally Posted by Viperdan View Post
    Regarding your last message... are you saying that there was only 2 teams in the league?
    Yes, all the teams folded during the season except 2. So league decided to start playoffs since there were only 2 teams left. It was a comical league to say the least with many relocation's and teams folding.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCanuck View Post
    Yes, all the teams folded during the season except 2. So league decided to start playoffs since there were only 2 teams left. It was a comical league to say the least with many relocation's and teams folding.
    I'm surprised they didnt just close it totally. You cannot participate with only 2 teams. That would be fun actually. 28 home games and 28 away. All at the same place haha.

That announcement only confirmed what anybody who paid attention already knew.

This league lived a quiet life and died a quiet death, with very few people around to notice...

Remember when they brought in a junior team just to play out a schedule? 20+ goal losses were normal...
    Just wait for next year when the same inept management starts a new league with new teams in the same locations.

IHF Member
    Thank god this league is dead and it was a joke to continue the league with only two teams left

There's been a few leagues like this eh? If I remember correctly there was the EPHL, the MAHL, and the MidwestHL? All within the past few years. Some existing simultaneously with the remaining unfolded teams merging into the AAHL.

Why would anyone think this was a good idea? "Let's start a shotty pro ice hockey league in markets that we have no business trying to compete in." I can just see it. Chi Town has the Hawks, Steel, and Wolves to compete with. Granted they are all in seperate parts of Chicago, but Come on now!

Quote Originally Posted by eelliott View Post
    There's been a few leagues like this eh? If I remember correctly there was the EPHL, the MAHL, and the MidwestHL? All within the past few years. Some existing simultaneously with the remaining unfolded teams merging into the AAHL.

Why would anyone think this was a good idea? "Let's start a shotty pro ice hockey league in markets that we have no business trying to compete in." I can just see it. Chi Town has the Hawks, Steel, and Wolves to compete with. Granted they are all in seperate parts of Chicago, but Come on now!
    Don't forget the new ECHL team in Chicago for next season too. But yeah, you'd think that despite the large potential for hockey in Chicago that any low level minor league teams would have to realize that not too many fans would come to their games given the other teams available to watch.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Thread Information