Thread: 1951 World Amateur Championships Research

IHF Member

1951 World Amateur Championships Research

Hi, I am researching the 1951 world amateur hockey championships held in Paris, France. It is the 60 anniversay of the Gold medal win by the Lethbridge Maple Leafs from Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada in 2011. I am putting the results of the research on this site:
    www.lethbridgemapleleafs.com

If you are interested in this aspect of international hockey history take a look at the site. Any feedback is apprecitaed.
    Last edited by Just Group; 14-11-2010 at 16:20.

IHF Member
    Hello Just Group!

There is one thing with this World Champ team, that has made me wonder;

Usually the Finnish sports reporters - especially in the old days, when Finland was "just" Finland - were very eager to mention any players with Finnish origins.

The name "Sorokoski" sounds pretty Finnish, but he has never been mentioned being a Finnish-Canadian. Do you know anything about this?!

All the best
    Jukka

IHF Member
    Yes, I'm interested.
    You can contact me at branchum@club-internet.fr if you didn't already do it

Marc
    http://www.hockeyarchives.info
    That's the way it crumbles, cookie-wise

IHF Member
    Hi Jukka,Thanks for your interest, Carl Sorokoski was also known as Karl. He was born March 17, 1921 in Red Deer, Alberta, Canada. He played for the Red Deer Buffalo Bisons, Lethbridge Maple Leafs and the The Great Falls Americans, in Great Falls Montana, USA in 1953/54.
    He was a goaltender. That's all the information I have on him.

IHF Member
    We just posted research about Lethbridge Maple Leaf player Stan Obodiac (1922-1984). Stan was best known for his later job as Public Relations Director for the Toronto Maple Leafs of the NHL.

Stan was the top scorer with 24 points (12+12) in the 1951 World Championship and his sweater from that series is in the Hockey Hall of Fame. He was fiercely loyal to the Toronto Maple Leaf organization and its owner Harold Ballard.

Stan was the designated reporter for the championship trip and wrote daily of the experiences of the Lethbridge Maple Leafs long journey to the world championship and home again. His reports were featured in the Lethbridge Herald during the trip. He wrote a number of hockey books including one about the trip.

For more go to: www.lethbridgemapleleafs.com

IHF Member
    Hello Just Group!

Thank you for the Sorokoski information.

I have the following note on my files; there was a clip about a pre-wc game Canada vs. Sweden from 1951 in a documentary about the history of Swedish television.

Unfortunately I wasn't fast enough to tape that, but hopefully our Swedish friends can tell something about it!

All the best
    Jukka

IHF Member
    New posts about the European Exhibition tour prior to worold championships including deplorabe ice conditions in Germany, and stories of the games in Holland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Belgium, Sweden and England.

IHF Member
    I'm still looking for film footage of the 1951 amateur hockey championship in Paris France. I have found some of the Lethbridge Maple Leaf's against Germany prior to the championships.
    If anyone knows of where to find it please let me know. Thanks

IHF Member
    New posts about the 6 games Canada played at the world championship in 1951. Including the opening ceromonies, and games against Finland, Norway, England, United States, Switzerland and Sweden.

IHF Member
    Hello JustGroup!

Thank you, especially for presenting Mr. Obodiac's book!

All the best
    Jukka

IHF Member
    Thanks, I have just posted about the first Winston Churchill Cup victory for the Leafs. I was able to see the Galt Museum archives of the artifacts from the trip and hope to post pictures soon, including the Cup and sweater. Also, I have found some film footage of the German games and a radio interview with the coach after the championship win. I hope to post these soon!

IHF Member
    The homecoming included a parade with 5000 school children in attendance, a dance with 2,500 people, a banquet and formal greeting at city hall. Pictures of the event are posted:

IHF Member
    We found photos of the trophy presentation of the Sir Winston Churchill Cup to the Lethbridge Maple Leafs in England in 1951. Posted at; www.lethbridgemapleleafs.com

IHF Member
    We have found pictures of the 1951 Championship Cup and Medals , the 1951 Winston Churchill Cup and medal along with the Lethbridge Laple Leaf international sweater coutesy of the Lethbridge Galt Museum and Archives at:

www. lethbridgemapleleafs.com

IHF Member
    We have pictures donated from a private collector of the 1951 World Amateur Hockey Championship opening ceremonies and Program posted on our site:

IHF Member
    We now have a 2001 letter of contratulations from René Fasel, President of International Ice Hockey Federation to the Lethbridge Maple Leafs on the 50th anniversary of their world amateur hockey championship in 1951. Part of the letter says:

Your performance was outstanding and the crowd admired your skills. As President of the International Ice Hockey Federation, I am also very proud to extend my wishes to your magnificent performance, your dedication to the sport we all love and to extend my appreciation for the development of ice hockey where you have contributed so much, so long.
    Rene Fasel, President, International Ice Hockey Federation

The entire letter and others from Hockey Canada, the Prime Minister of Canada, and the Hockey Hall of Fame are posted on www.lethbridgemapleleafs.com

IHF Member
    We now have the short film footage of the 1951 Lethbridge Maple Leafs playing in Germany during their tour prior to the Championship in France. www.lethbridgemapleleafs.com
    Footage includes players cleaning the ice on the outdoor rink.

IHF Member
    Hello Just Group!

Seeing old footage is always great! :)

A nice thing to see their alternate jerseys too! :)

All the best
    Jukka

IHF Member
    Thanks Jukka, we are hoping to find film footage of the championship- we just posted a audio tape of a 1951 Canadian Broadcasting Corp. interview with coach Dick Gray held when they arrived in Canada.

lethbridgemapleleafs.com

IHF Member
    We have just posted a number of original photos from the European tour and world championships in 1951 from a private collection. This includes the program of the Winston Churchill Cup in 1951. Some of the photos have been imbedded in the 34 part story contained in the blog. To read them in chronological order, scroll to the bottom of the blog and work your way up.

IHF Member
    World Champion 1951 Lethbridge Maple Leafs Replica Jerseys are Worn in the Western Hockey League Game and the Maple leaf's 60th anniversary is celebrated at the game. 2 original players, Tom Wood and Nap Milroy drop the ceremonial puck. We have pictures and a video of the replica jerseys and game at: lethbridgemapleleafs.com

Thread Information