Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,400 of 1435

Thread: KHL Expansion?

IHF Member
    Would this be to replace Lev?

Quote Originally Posted by shefpie View Post
    Would this be to replace Lev?
    Nobody confirms Sparta joining KHL..now.

Sparta celebrates its 110 anniversary these days. Veterans of Sparta will play against Gazprom Export, so Medvedev. Therefore there is this rumour. Sparta and Lev have the same owner.
    http://webhokej24.sk/index.php twitter: @vorkywh24

IHF Member
    Malmo RedHawks owner said they wish to join KHL in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by JankS View Post
    Malmo RedHawks owner said they wish to join KHL in the future.
    According to this article it was the General Manager, Patrik Sylvegård, who was commenting on meetings between KHL representatives and Percy Nilsson who owns the Malmö Arena and has been heavily involved with the hockey team.

The article states that Malmö is an interesting location for KHL and that Percy Nilsson has an excellent arena that he wants to fill. He is quoted: "Jag säger så här: Det är stor chans att KHL finns i Malmö. Sen om det är Redhawks eller något annat lag låter jag vara osagt." (Let me put it like this: There is a big chance that KHL is in Malmö. If it is Redhawks or another team is left unsaid.)
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

Han sitter på ett stort hus och ja, vill de köpa hans arena så...äh, jag vet inte.
    Is there written that they/Russians-Arena Events want to buy his arena??? Malmo arena?

MrMadhawk writes in Expressen about the Malmö audience's interest in international games. He doesn't think much people there would be interested in attending KHL games.

Quote Originally Posted by vorky View Post
    Is there written that they/Russians-Arena Events want to buy his arena??? Malmo arena?
    The full quote is about happens if KHL comes to Malmö and it is not Redhawks.

"Det skulle inte förvåna mig om han har dialog med dem. Han sitter på ett stort hus och ja, vill de köpa hans arena så...äh, jag vet inte.
    ... Då får vi spela på gamla Isstadion igen. Då kan vi bli farmarlag till KHL, säger Sylvegård skämtsamt."

(My translation)
    It wouldn't surprise me if he has a dialogue with them. He has a large house and, well if they want to buy his arena so... I don't know. ... We'll have to play at the old Isstadion again. We can be a farm team for KHL, Sylvegård says jokingly."

thx.

IHF Member
    Has this already been posted here? The name of the new team in Sochi will be Delfin (Dolphin) and it is expected to join the league next season.

Medvedev mentions also that there will be up to 4 new teams: Lada, Jokerit, Dolphin and "one more team possibly from Sweden or Norway".

http://en.rsport.ru/hockey/20131226/710979599.html

As always with these KHL expansion stories, it means close to nothing before the teams are officially accepted (usually in May or June) and one can only be absolutely sure once the season has started with the new teams (see Poprad's first attempt to join).

Dolphin eh, will be interesting to see what logos they come up with! Aslong as it's an angry dolphin I'll be happy
    Dinamo Riga, Manchester Storm

I haven't been keeping track of it, but whatever happened to Milan's goal of joining the KHL?
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    I haven't been keeping track of it, but whatever happened to Milan's goal of joining the KHL?
    Its still there, they are just working towards it. Their Chairman gave an interview with a Belarussian newspaper last month when he visited Minsk, he says he is still in talks with Medvedev, working to join but its not so simple. They asked him about joining this season (13/14) but they never had a target year to join the league. He seems to have his head on straight, knows the budget he wants to enter the league in, how much of the sponsorships money to spend, says he is working with Lomborghini to become one of the clubs sponsor.

However, at the current moment, they have been linked to joining the EBEL.

Quote Originally Posted by Starkovs View Post
    Its still there, they are just working towards it. Their Chairman gave an interview with a Belarussian newspaper last month when he visited Minsk, he says he is still in talks with Medvedev, working to join but its not so simple. They asked him about joining this season (13/14) but they never had a target year to join the league. He seems to have his head on straight, knows the budget he wants to enter the league in, how much of the sponsorships money to spend, says he is working with Lomborghini to become one of the clubs sponsor.

However, at the current moment, they have been linked to joining the EBEL.
    Joining the EBEL would probably be a better step for them, see how that works out and move from there. Lamborghini would be a cool sponsor though haha! I wonder if they'd put cars next to the ice like Skoda do!

I'm curious to see how the Helvetics project is evolving, is evolving at all...
    I think I'd be happy to have a new KHL team in Switzerland, but that would be mostly to see all the russian teams more easily :P
    I wonder If a mail sent to the adress on their so-called website whould work or be a good idea...

They can't possibly be much advanced in the project, since the town designed to host the team has no rink and nothing in construction...

Moreover, anybody which will be the teams confirmed to be added next year ?
    http://www.thepetrochemist.info == Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk english blog. Fun times !

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P&H View Post
    I think I'd be happy to have a new KHL team in Switzerland, but that would be mostly to see all the russian teams more easily :P
    I wonder If a mail sent to the adress on their so-called website whould work or be a good idea...

They can't possibly be much advanced in the project, since the town designed to host the team has no rink and nothing in construction...

Moreover, anybody which will be the teams confirmed to be added next year ?
    Jokerit (Helsinki, Finland) and Delfin (Sochi, Russia).
    I don't believe in this Helvetics project and will prefer more traditional team from Switzerland if one decides to join KHL.

Well,i don't like the concept of taking traditional teams out of their country's championship to add them to the KHL.. so for me, no swiss team other than a new one…

Jokerit leaving the Liiga is already a scandal in itself, in my opinion… i'm completely fine with new teams or teams without proper league (i.e Milano).. But dammit, the swiss championship is a great one, amongst the best in the world, so nobody touches the teams :P
    http://www.thepetrochemist.info == Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk english blog. Fun times !

Quote Originally Posted by P&H View Post

Imho HELVETICS are dead it was just an angry reaction of a frustrated millionaire against League.

MARKUS BÓSIGER was behind HELVETICS in the Swiss part of business. Self made millionaire,ex side-car world champion, truck racing etc and owner of HUTTWIL FALCONS who were denied promotion in NLB for supposed delay in paperwork delivery to the League. Everybody knows that this was just an excuse not to admit FALCONS for whatever (not very clear)reason they had against BOSIGER.Because on the ice they had no match in first Liga
    Later MB came up with HELVETICS project joint with some Russians(I dont recall who) with quiet some movement in the press.
    But there were just a few big problems. They have no location,no arena,no fans just a project and a teamlogo. Which by the way I like a lot.

Since then dead calm. That's why I think nothing will happen. MB is a small fish, too small for a KHL bussness in Switzerland.

Actually.. I wouldn't mind seeing Berne leaving for KHL... I recognise their historical status and worldwide recognition, but I really hate them in the swiss championship... too powerful within the league so yeah, let them go to KHL :D

IHF Member
    If we compare Lev and Slovan - two teams ( new team Lev and traditional team Slovan) which joined KHL recently then Slovan joining story definately was much better way.
    The same way if Bern decides to join KHL then this most likely will be much more sucessful project than Helvetics one.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JankS View Post
    If we compare Lev and Slovan - two teams ( new team Lev and traditional team Slovan) which joined KHL recently then Slovan joining story definately was much better way.
    I think this is debatable, it depends on how you evaluate:

Slovan:
    + excellent attendance in first season.
    + good first season on ice with reaching play-offs
    - bad second season, with current budget probably little chance of reaching play-offs regularly or even progressing further
    - attendance stil very high, but no longer sell-outs for every game

Lev:
    + big enough budget to be competitve
    - lots of competition with two established teams in same city
    - attendance figures very low so far
    (+) games against famous opponents (Slovan, SKA) show the potential. Just need to get those spectators to come also for "regular" games
    (+) a succesful play-off campaign (2nd or 3rd round) could make them more famous, get more fans.

Quote Originally Posted by wildboar View Post
    I think this is debatable, it depends on how you evaluate:

Slovan:

- attendance stil very high, but no longer sell-outs for every game
    Not to argue, but which games have had low attendance or not a sell-out? They even sold out against Neftekhimik!

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
    Not to argue, but which games have had low attendance or not a sell-out? They even sold out against Neftekhimik!
    I could only find 3 games that were not sold out: Ak Bars (21 Sep), Magnitogorsk (9 Oct) and Yugra (13 Nov). As far as I remember, there was only 1 such game last year (vs Riga). But last year, demand for seats was very high, so they could auction the ticktes. Now they now longer see a need for that.

So, as I was writing, it is still very good, and I hope that it remains that way. Maybe last season was just extraordinary, because of the NHL lockout and also because it all was new.

Quote Originally Posted by wildboar View Post
    I could only find 3 games that were not sold out: Ak Bars (21 Sep), Magnitogorsk (9 Oct) and Yugra (13 Nov). As far as I remember, there was only 1 such game last year (vs Riga). But last year, demand for seats was very high, so they could auction the ticktes. Now they now longer see a need for that.

So, as I was writing, it is still very good, and I hope that it remains that way. Maybe last season was just extraordinary, because of the NHL lockout and also because it all was new.
    Ah, thanks! I understand what you mean now :)

But yes, Hopefully it continues to be a popular team, regardless of results!

http://en.rsport.ru/hockey/20140319/736838748.html

From Medevdev himself: Jokerit, Dolphin Sochi and Lada are in for next season. It says they will run an expansion draft, for two teams wont that cut short the others? I guess it gives some of the rookies an extra chance BUT at the same time it also says Spartak are in trouble and could possibly be gone next year, so that leaves a full team of players to find a new job to ease the burden.

I would love to see Simferopol or Sevastopol in khl, and that would be a good political tactical move for the russians.

http://en.rsport.ru/hockey/20140319/736838748.html

From Medevdev himself: Jokerit, Dolphin Sochi and Lada are in for next season. It says they will run an expansion draft, for two teams wont that cut short the others? I guess it gives some of the rookies an extra chance BUT at the same time it also says Spartak are in trouble and could possibly be gone next year, so that leaves a full team of players to find a new job to ease the burden.
    There are also talks about the team from Norway as they have received application forms to participate in KHL and they said they will send them in till the end of March. However KHL remains skeptical about their chances of making it.
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

Quote Originally Posted by pedalinka View Post
    I would love to see Simferopol or Sevastopol in khl, and that would be a good political tactical move for the russians.
    Why? Two cities of population less than 350K with a very limited hockey infrastructure. Not to even mention the political implications of having a team from there when you have teams from Czech republic, Slovakia, Latvia, Ukraine, Finland. Doesn't seem like a smart move for KHL>
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

So - http://rt.com/business/oil-field-ast...discovery-948/

Basically 300 millions tons of Oil has been found in the Astrakhan region of Russia...

TASS article .... Why Medvedev left KHL? Because Timchenko did not agree with his conception/way of expansion. KHL has changed the attitude with Chernyshenko.

Medvedev - new clubs (Lev), russian money in euro clubs (Medvescak, Riga), non-hockey countries (Medvescak)

Timchenko (KHL future) - strong euro clubs without russian money (or with "help" at the start) which could be profitable in future (Jokerit as example), traditional russian clubs coming back (Spartak, KS)

5 clubs might leave KHL after season, Medvecsak is one of them.

My comments
    Chernyshenko is Timchenko´s guy, will do whatever Timchenko wants. KHL will expand to traditional hockey markets or economically strong countries (SUI, GER, maybe SWE with big IF). KHL will have max of 6-8 euro clubs but these clubs will be strong and famous. No mistakes anymore (Lev Poprad). From current euro clubs only Jokerit will stay for 100%, others who know.

Nothing said about Asia, but who knows Timchenko´s bussiness he knows that he works with Asia (China). I would not be suprised.

When we look at KHL expansion, we have to look at russian foreign policy at first. Europe is too stupid, so Russia is turning to Asia. It does not mean that Russia(KHL) is not interested in euro markets anymore... it is, but we are at point of no returs, bussiness as usual is not possible anymore.

IHF Member
    KHL will have max of 6-8 euro clubs but these clubs will be strong and famous. No mistakes anymore (Lev Poprad). From current euro clubs only Jokerit will stay for 100%, others who know.
    Slovan and DRG should stay too. Latvians are crazy about the sport and it just would be stupid to leave that market. Slovan sells out every game, so in that case I wouldn't mind if they stay.

Nothing said about Asia, but who knows Timchenko´s bussiness he knows that he works with Asia (China). I would not be suprised.
    You just mentioned that Timchenko wants to expand to Hockey countries. Is China (or even Asia) on Hockey? That would be the most stupid move ever by the KHL.
    #28 Jani Rita

IHF Member
    TASS article .... Why Medvedev left KHL? Because Timchenko did not agree with his conception/way of expansion. KHL has changed the attitude with Chernyshenko.

Medvedev - new clubs (Lev), russian money in euro clubs (Medvescak, Riga), non-hockey countries (Medvescak)

Timchenko (KHL future) - strong euro clubs without russian money (or with "help" at the start) which could be profitable in future (Jokerit as example), traditional russian clubs coming back (Spartak, KS)

5 clubs might leave KHL after season, Medvecsak is one of them.

My comments
    Chernyshenko is Timchenko´s guy, will do whatever Timchenko wants. KHL will expand to traditional hockey markets or economically strong countries (SUI, GER, maybe SWE with big IF). KHL will have max of 6-8 euro clubs but these clubs will be strong and famous. No mistakes anymore (Lev Poprad). From current euro clubs only Jokerit will stay for 100%, others who know.

When we look at KHL expansion, we have to look at russian foreign policy at first. Europe is too stupid, so Russia is turning to Asia. It does not mean that Russia(KHL) is not interested in euro markets anymore... it is, but we are at point of no returs, bussiness as usual is not possible anymore.
    Why do you think DRG is funded by russian money and Jokerit is not? How about other euro clubs such as Slovan and Barys? I believe all current euro clubs in KHL are mainly sponsored by companies connected with Russia.

I did not name all clubs, just examples. Jokerit is funded by russian money as well, but the article said that Jokerit is an example of KHL future expansion to Europe - a club which can be profitable in future. That was said by TASS, you can read it if you want on their site.

Asia - it is my point of view. There is an interview with Timchenko where he said that KHL might expand to Asia in future, not next yr of course.

"We talked with IIHF president Fasel a few days ago. He suggest us to look more carefuly on East for KHL expansion, because I work now on russian-chinese business relations. Now there is 500 people who plays hockey. It is too low for 1,5 mld country. If you carefully look at developing hockey in Asia, so after an appropriate time it is possible to create KHL division of clubs from China, S.Korea, Japan"

http://itar-tass.com/sport/1231589

I'd think Slovan, Riga, Barys quality as hockey countries so I wouldn't worry there. What about Donbass though? They want to come back next season but the Ukraine isn't really a hockey country? Would be sad to see them leave I think. I don't feel like Lev Prague will be back... unless there is new news about them? Surely the league would prefer one of the already established Prague teams instead, like with Jokerit.

It' is great news however about Spartak and Soviet Wings! I'd prefer the league to be more Russian based then trying to snatch up every Euro country for the sake of it *looks at Milan* Although I'm still waiting for an East German team (Berlin please!) to be interested.

Gunvor is sponsor of Servette Geneve (NLA), Timchenko´s company (he sold it due to sanctions) and owners of Lev and Volga Group (Timchenko) will sponsor Spartak

Medvescak should start negotiating with EBEL just now, because it is more and more obvious that they won't play in KHL next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Medvescak should start negotiating with EBEL just now, because it is more and more obvious that they won't play in KHL next season.
    I'm curious, but why do you say that?

I'm curious, but why do you say that?
    I think because the new KHL president has said they won't be in the league next season? He don't want Euro teams in 'non hockey countries' being funded with Russian money.

I think because the new KHL president has said they won't be in the league next season? He don't want Euro teams in 'non hockey countries' being funded with Russian money.
    It was not said by Chernyshenko but a source with knowledge of situation... but generally you are right.

Ah, gotcha. Haven't heard about that, so thanks for the update!

I have said many times that Timchenko is no.1 in KHL now. There is an interview with him from september 2014.

- there are problems due to sanctions, but we will solve it, KHL will exist in future. Talking about clubs, it is up to them to solve their financial problems.

- League can not force companies to sponsor hockey clubs. It is business. If a club is not able to find sponsors (money), then there is no room for such club/s.

- Lev was sponsored by russian companies. Lets be honest, why do we need this? We can help (financially) a club at the start. We had such deal (with Lev) to sponsor club at the start lets say from Czech rep or Sweden. When we talk about club´s future, I think, the club has to find sponsors in its country.

- I think that one of KHL problems is over-expansion. We accept too many clubs every year. No, I am not against new clubs in league but we have to look at their quality on ice. But our boss is/was Medvedev, so.....

- It was right decision to get Jokerit. It is club from hockey country with history. They play finnish hockey, it is intersting for KHL. I think that Jokerit will be good in season.

Conclusions

- It is time to get rid of poor/unperspective clubs, russian and nonrussian.
    - no russian money in euro clubs or only a help at the beginning
    - no more expansion for expansion, only rational in Russia/abroad
    - famous/strong euro clubs coming (not immidiatelly, depends on many factors)

I have said many times that Timchenko is no.1 in KHL now. There is an interview with him from september 2014.

- there are problems due to sanctions, but we will solve it, KHL will exist in future. Talking about clubs, it is up to them to solve their financial problems.

- League can not force companies to sponsor hockey clubs. It is business. If a club is not able to find sponsors (money), then there is no room for such club/s.

- Lev was sponsored by russian companies. Lets be honest, why do we need this? We can help (financially) a club at the start. We had such deal (with Lev) to sponsor club at the start lets say from Czech rep or Sweden. When we talk about club´s future, I think, the club has to find sponsors in its country.

- I think that one of KHL problems is over-expansion. We accept too many clubs every year. No, I am not against new clubs in league but we have to look at their quality on ice. But our boss is/was Medvedev, so.....

- It was right decision to get Jokerit. It is club from hockey country with history. They play finnish hockey, it is intersting for KHL. I think that Jokerit will be good in season.

Conclusions

- It is time to get rid of poor/unperspective clubs, russian and nonrussian.
    - no russian money in euro clubs or only a help at the beginning
    - no more expansion for expansion, only rational in Russia/abroad
    - famous/strong euro clubs coming (not immidiatelly, depends on many factors)
    Makes sense, yeah. Regarding Medvescak, how are their sponsors doing?

Makes sense, yeah. Regarding Medvescak, how are their sponsors doing?
    Gazprom + their sister company in Croatia (PPD) + some other croatian sponsors.

Honestly, as much as I am proud that Medvescak were part of KHL I won't be sad if they leave KHL, because I think EBEL is such more natural territory for Medvescak and much of fans thinks that way.

Ice hockey in Stockholm is currently in a bit of crisis. Djurgården is involved in the struggle at the bottom of SHL and in Hockeyallsvenskan AIK and Södertälje are in the bottom of the standings. All three teams has also lost 6 out of the last 7 games.

Johan Garpenlöv writes in a column in Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet that it is time to wake up the idea of a KHL team in Stockholm, to boost Stockholm's hockey interest and generate a boost to Swedish hockey in general. He points out that Jokerit could, so why not Stockholm...

I just note that the last time the idea of a Stockholm-based KHL team was up for discussion in Sweden, it was AIK who was desparately fighting to avoid bankruptcy and saw KHL as a way out...

Nice idea but too late IMO. KHL does not want brand new clubs from Europe anymore, if I understand KHL´s plans. KHL wants only famous clubs with fanbase as AIK. IMO russian business wont pay for euro KHL clubs anymore. Maybe "a help" at the start as Jokerit, but no more "Lev´s".

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    Johan Garpenlöv writes in a column in Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet that it is time to wake up the idea of a KHL team in Stockholm, to boost Stockholm's hockey interest and generate a boost to Swedish hockey in general. He points out that Jokerit could, so why not Stockholm...
    What is current opinion in Sweden about such possibility? Are there any changes since last time it was discussed?

They had a reader poll on Aftonbladet, and that showed 60-40 against a Stockholm based team in KHL. I think the biggest issue are the core of the fan base. AIK fans love to hate Djurgården fans and vice versa. A fresh team would start without that strong fan base and moving either of AIK and Djurgården to KHL is not something that core fans want.

I believe it could be a jump start for hockey interest in Stockholm, it has been waning for some years now. But long term I still believe it is bad for Swedish hockey in general.

President of the Russian Ice Hockey Federation (RIHF) Vladislav Tretyak, chairman of the KHL board of directors Gennady Timchenko and chairman of HC Red Star Kunlun (Beijing) board of directors Ngok Yan Yu have signed a protocol of intentions that agrees to participation of the Chinese ice hockey club in the 2016-17 KHL season.
    In accordance with protocol, in order to become a new KHL member from the next season, HC Red Star Kunlun needs to present financial guarantees by April 30th, 2016, comply with conditions imposed on clubs participants and adhere to the rules established by the KHL Regulations.
    In order to finalize the HC Red Star Kunlun accession, KHL and RIHF will conduct additional inspection of the Beijing club’s infrastructure. In case the club meets all of the KHL Regulations’ criteria, a final decision on its entrance will be made by the KHL Board of Directors.

http://en.khl.ru/news/2016/03/17/242215.html

IHF Prospect
    Anything on possible expansion team in Scandinavia (Sweden or Norway)?

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Becks View Post
    Anything on possible expansion team in Scandinavia (Sweden or Norway)?
    I've heard that at least couple teams from Sweden are interested to join KHL. Can't remember those teams but they talked about it on TV when KHL regulation season was still going.

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829 LastLast

Thread Information