Thread: IIHF 2011 book...

IHF Member

IIHF 2011 book...

When I first heard about this book, I couldnt wait to get my hands on it. I would check the website daily to place my order...

I purchased this book the day it showed for sale hoping it would provide me with stats and information of the lower division IIHF teams.I know there are sources on the internet , but I wanted a hard copy booklet with official information. But minutes after tearing open the box and flipping through the pages, I saw a heavy focus on the "top level nations".. Not even information on the Asian Oceanic games etc..

All in all Im happy I have it, but im quite disappointed. I was really hoping it would live up to its claim of having "every iihf player and tournament history"...

oh well, thats why I guess I have you guys. Did anyone else get this book or plan to purchase it?

http://www.iihf.com/de/home-of-hocke.../2011book.html

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xunearthhxcx View Post
    When I first heard about this book, I couldnt wait to get my hands on it. I would check the website daily to place my order...

I purchased this book the day it showed for sale hoping it would provide me with stats and information of the lower division IIHF teams.I know there are sources on the internet , but I wanted a hard copy booklet with official information. But minutes after tearing open the box and flipping through the pages, I saw a heavy focus on the "top level nations".. Not even information on the Asian Oceanic games etc..

All in all Im happy I have it, but im quite disappointed. I was really hoping it would live up to its claim of having "every iihf player and tournament history"...

oh well, thats why I guess I have you guys. Did anyone else get this book or plan to purchase it?

http://www.iihf.com/de/home-of-hocke.../2011book.html
    well, I've ordered the book too. I'm living 15 miles away from Zurich, where the IIHF-Headquarter is. But - I've to order the book in the States..... and have to pay more for shipping & handling, as for the book himself....

It is not suprising for me, what you wrote. Nobody by the IIHF is responsible for "statistics" (well, except some outsourced people like Birger Nordmark or Patrik Houda. But they're not realy working for the IIHF.... they're more freelancer...).

And believe me...... I've more statistics at home (OFFICIAL!!!), than the IIHF....
    Cheers, Franco

IHF Member
    I ordered last week.Guess I may be a little disappointed since I was hoping it would have stats for B and C pools.But like you it is nice to have everything in hardcover.

I do know that some other people are coming out with a huge book or volumes of books hopefully next year that will have everything you and I want.

IHF Member
    I have recieved the book. It is the best book the IIHF has ever published as far as statistics are concerned, although it only covers the top level of IIHF tournaments.
    I was also hoping it would include information on the lower levels, such as the old B and C Pools of the World Championships, but it does not.
    The book was printed in Canada, and is being sold out of the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto, Canada, so that is why the postage to Europe is higher than in North America.

IHF Member
    I have ordered it and received it as well, it was a disappointment, but I really didn't expect much coming from the IIHF. It has standings and rosters from top pools only, no stats at
    all included. The record book portion is nice. Completely ignoring the lower pools is typical
    of the IIHF, I was looking for some help with rosters as well. The Historical Player register was
    a disappointment as well. Nearly everything in the book can be found on the web, maybe everything.

Someday someone will do what researchers want and need!

Regards,
    David
    Please help.

At the U19/U18 Level
    1969 EJC Pool A
    1969 EJC Pool B
    1970 EJC Pool B
    1971 EJC Pool A
    and more!

At the U20 Level
    1994 WJC Pool C
    1995 WJC Pool B
    1995 WJC Pool D
    1996 WJC Pool B
    1996 WJC Pool D
    1997 WJC Pool B
    1997 WJC Pool C
    2000 WJC Pool B
    2000 WJC Pool D
    2001 WJC Div 2

Games sums, final documentation.

What do you need?

Thank you!

IHF Member
    How long did it take for you to receive the book? I ordered a copy on November 18 and have not received it yet. It is my understanding that the book was to be sent from Canada and I expected to have received it by now. I contacted the e-mail address associated with the PayPal account to which payment was sent (Martin Merk from the IIHF), but have not received a reply to my inquiry requesting an update on the status of my order.

Thanks,

kharlamov
    Last edited by kharlamov; 23-12-2010 at 15:41.

IHF Member
    I ordered mine on November 12th and still have not received.I did email the IIHF last week and they did respond and said I should be receiving soon.Hopefully by soon it will be this year.

IHF Member
    I ordered mine the day it was available and it got here in about a week and a half.. and im all the way in Arizona..

So, a question to those, who already have the book - is it worth the price?

Cause I'm considering purchasing it, however, if I do, it will happen only after Christmas, so that the postage wouldn't take as long as it might do during this time of the year.

IHF Member
    well.. I like the lower IIHF divisions.. and its bare bones in that dept...

If I got to look at it before spending my money. I personally wouldnt have got it.

IHF Member
    Does anyone have this book and would it be worth purchasing?

1908-1978 70 Years of LIHG/IIHF (Hockey). [Hardcover]
    Karl Adolf. Scherer (Author)

IHF Member
    Jeff,

It's a decent book, small and handy, not sure if it has the complete data you are looking for. It does have some great photos and some nice write ups through the years. If the price is right, I would recommend it.

David
    Please help.

At the U19/U18 Level
    1969 EJC Pool A
    1969 EJC Pool B
    1970 EJC Pool B
    1971 EJC Pool A
    and more!

At the U20 Level
    1994 WJC Pool C
    1995 WJC Pool B
    1995 WJC Pool D
    1996 WJC Pool B
    1996 WJC Pool D
    1997 WJC Pool B
    1997 WJC Pool C
    2000 WJC Pool B
    2000 WJC Pool D
    2001 WJC Div 2

What do you need?

Thank you!

IHF Member
    Thanks David.

The price is steep.Think I will keep watching until it comes down.Right now I would be very happy if the IIHF 2011 book I ordered over 2 month's ago would get here.

IHF Member
    Jeff,

Two months? Wow. I ordered mine the first day or so, it took about 2 weeks or so to arrive, it's coming from Toronto, so really you should have received it by now. A friend told me it would be opened when it arrived, and about 1/3 of the packaging was gone when got it.

Regards,
    David
    Please help.

At the U19/U18 Level
    1969 EJC Pool A
    1969 EJC Pool B
    1970 EJC Pool B
    1971 EJC Pool A
    and more!

At the U20 Level
    1994 WJC Pool C
    1995 WJC Pool B
    1995 WJC Pool D
    1996 WJC Pool B
    1996 WJC Pool D
    1997 WJC Pool B
    1997 WJC Pool C
    2000 WJC Pool B
    2000 WJC Pool D
    2001 WJC Div 2

What do you need?

Thank you!

IHF Member
    I ordered my book in mid November and did not receive it until early January. I contacted Martin Merk from the IIHF about the matter. He originally told me that my book had been sent out on December 1, but later acknowledged that the people in Toronto had never sent the book. I suspect the same thing happened to your order. I would recommend that you contact Mr. Merk.

IHF Member
    oh i guess that has happened to my order. I ordered mid-November also, waited a while and then emailed Merk who said Canada post takes up to six weeks. Now mid-January so it looks like might have to email them again. Sounds like its not very organised

IHF Member
    Finally received book today.Very disappointed with stats and no mention of lower pools.Other than that I like what I have read so far.Yes you probaly can find everything in it on the internet but I still like the old fashioned way of reading from book.

Hopefully Karsten and Bobby Orr and whoever else are working on books will get there's out soon.

IHF Prospect
    Ordered mine 16/November - Still waiting

IHF Member
    Jeff,

Yes somewhat of a disappointment, but it does act as an easy reference book, the lower pools seem to have more interest than the IIHF thinks, I would guess. Glad you got the book though, it is frustrating waiting. I am guessing the IIHF does not have a clear handle on the lower pools, like rosters, coaches and such.

Regards,
    David
    Please help.

At the U19/U18 Level
    1969 EJC Pool A
    1969 EJC Pool B
    1970 EJC Pool B
    1971 EJC Pool A
    and more!

At the U20 Level
    1994 WJC Pool C
    1995 WJC Pool B
    1995 WJC Pool D
    1996 WJC Pool B
    1996 WJC Pool D
    1997 WJC Pool B
    1997 WJC Pool C
    2000 WJC Pool B
    2000 WJC Pool D
    2001 WJC Div 2

What do you need?

Thank you!

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salavat View Post
    oh i guess that has happened to my order. I ordered mid-November also, waited a while and then emailed Merk who said Canada post takes up to six weeks. Now mid-January so it looks like might have to email them again. Sounds like its not very organised
    I ordered my copy on November 6th and recieved the book on November 12th. I live in Canada (Regina, Saskatchewan), and the books are shipped from the HHOF in Toronto. I also work for Canada Post and get very frustrated when people blame slow shipments on Canada Post.
    I suspect the delay for shipments sent out of Canada cannot be blamed on Canada Post, but are likely due to delays at the Customs and Excise offices at the various border crossings.
    That said, I was satisfied with the book. Based on the promotion information I saw before I bought the book, I would have been surprised to find any significant details on the lower levels. I would like to see a book that offers the same details for the older Pool B, C and D tournaments.
    Maybe someday.

IHF Member
    After reading the whole book I am pretty satisfied with it.

Would still like to see a book come out with complete stats for every level and every tournament including European cup,Spengler cup etc.

IHF Member
    Hello all.
    I'm disappointed from buying book "IIHF Media Guide & Record Book 2011". Surprise, the IIHF can not find attendance in the Olympic 1988. This is not hockey prehistory. Also, the results of all tournaments are weak. I waited for the results of the periods and boxscores. Also information on the Pool B, C, D and U18 championships from 1968 to 1998. On the other side, the registry of players is an excellent.
    Sorry for my english.

IHF Member
    Hello Haniss,

You make good points, the IIHF puts on hockey tournaments, they are terrible at keeping track of the history. There are people on this board that have more information on the history of these international tournaments than the IIHF. The book is a good if not great idea, I believe they put in all the information they could. I do like both the player and goalie register, although there are some errors, they did what they could. The lower Pools have some interest in this group, I suspect the IIHF doesn't have the data and they think no one cares about this level. Many do. Someday there will be a book, or likely a website that contains more information.

Regards,
    David
    Please help.

At the U19/U18 Level
    1969 EJC Pool A
    1969 EJC Pool B
    1970 EJC Pool B
    1971 EJC Pool A
    and more!

At the U20 Level
    1994 WJC Pool C
    1995 WJC Pool B
    1995 WJC Pool D
    1996 WJC Pool B
    1996 WJC Pool D
    1997 WJC Pool B
    1997 WJC Pool C
    2000 WJC Pool B
    2000 WJC Pool D
    2001 WJC Div 2

What do you need?

Thank you!

IHF Member
    Hello davidmartinez.

WJC 1996 Pool A: I've got scorers (in minutes) in games CAN and CZE (Group A and B) and then the quarterfinals, semifinals and finals.
    Pool D in 2000 (Iceland): I've got only scorers, but in all games.
    Sorry for my english.

IHF Member
    Haniss,

Your english is fine, no worries. I will send you a PM.

Thanks!
    David
    Please help.

At the U19/U18 Level
    1969 EJC Pool A
    1969 EJC Pool B
    1970 EJC Pool B
    1971 EJC Pool A
    and more!

At the U20 Level
    1994 WJC Pool C
    1995 WJC Pool B
    1995 WJC Pool D
    1996 WJC Pool B
    1996 WJC Pool D
    1997 WJC Pool B
    1997 WJC Pool C
    2000 WJC Pool B
    2000 WJC Pool D
    2001 WJC Div 2

What do you need?

Thank you!

IHF Member
    So i finally recieved my copy of the book last week. Originally ordered mid-November, so about 10 to 11 weeks from Canada to Australia. Packaging was a paper envelope (not very smart for a reasonably weighty book) which had to be repaired by Australia Post with a fair bit of tape.

Complaining over, book is very interesting, may not have the lower divisions, but still well worth the expense.

IHF Prospect

Still waiting

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Marsh View Post
    Ordered mine 16/November - Still waiting
    Still waiting after 5 Months - Very shabby set up - Time to contact Paypal

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Marsh View Post
    Still waiting after 5 Months - Very shabby set up - Time to contact Paypal
    I ordered my book on 23th of April, so that mean the book is sent to me on 26th. I paied it with mastercard, hope I won't wait that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    I ordered my book on 23th of April, so that mean the book is sent to me on 26th. I paied it with mastercard, hope I won't wait that long.
    I got it !

IHF Member

Messaage to SPITFIRE

Hi my friend,

I cannot send you a private message..... got this back:

Spitfire has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

unquote

therefore, please find my answer to your question:

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire
    hello, I am the one you send your book about past season.

But I have one question for you. I know you are great statistic man, so question is. What is correct. In IIHF book I got it today it writes that Boris Mihkailov is all time IIHF leader at WC's with 164 points. IIHF page list also Mikhailov but with 169 points, while Eliteprospects list Kharlamov with 155 points ? Please help me. It would be the best if you have some correct iihf all time scoring list :)

Cheers, ;)
    ----> answer:

Hi there,

uuuhh.... that's a very good question, which I cannot answer you..... actual, I do not have all the stats from the Worldchampionship calculated. So, I don't know.... but this could be a good question for our Forum here!

The IIHF stats are not always to 100% correct... that's for sure...

Sorry, that I cannot give you for this no better answer.

Cheers, Franco
    Cheers, Franco

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    The IIHF stats are not always to 100% correct... that's for sure...
    And neither are eliteprospects stats correct. :) They miss his stats from the 1979 WC.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GX View Post
    And neither are eliteprospects stats correct. :) They miss his stats from the 1979 WC.
    ...give me some years (approx. 20....) and I can give you correct playerstats from the Top-Level to Div. III (or former "Group D")..... most stats I've at home. What I need now is, that every day has at least 40 hours....
    Cheers, Franco

Thread Information