Thread: European Trophy wants to play in the national team breaks

European Trophy wants to play in the national team breaks

Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet today reports that the pre-season tournament European Trophy plans to grow from 18 to 30 teams and possibly to 45 teams the year after that.

The article quotes the president of Hockey Invest Europe as saying that it would be a more interesting product if it was not a pre-season tournament and that removing an international break and holding the ET playoff in that period is an option they are looking at.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

I wonder how much truth there is to it considering Aftonbladet published it?

If its true, Im not sure Im too happy about it, not that Im overly eager to get my Slovakia-Switzerland fix every other NT break, but at least it gives the fans of every team something to watch. Not trying to say that the current NT break system is any great and it could use some serious reshuffling, but this just feels wrong.

Also, Im not sure how this would work with the teams? IMo would they really wanna have all their players play additional games during the break and get tired and risk consequences playing the other rested teams from their league after the break is over?
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

I would love to see the European Trophy take the place of the Champions League, running in international breaks throughout the season (or even on a given day every week throughout), to make it really seem like the league play it seems to want to become.
    My only issue is with where the additional teams will come from, and whether they will really be representative of the spread of European hockey (or whether it will just be more teams from the top nations).
    I'd love to see 3 or 4 top teams from the top nations (Sweden, Finland, Russia, Germany, Switzerland, Czech, Slovak), but then add teams in from other nations to get that real champions league feel (Belarus, Latvia, Austria, Slovenia, France, Italy, etc etc)..

Then again, who knows what they're really planning.

Swedish federation president was (not surprisingly) completely against any infringement on the national team breaks by club tournaments.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

What is condition to join ET ? I see that Valerenga played it, so I would love to see one team from other three EBEL nations in it...
    2011/2012. - 50th Anniversary of KHL Medvečak Zagreb !

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouellette View Post
    What is condition to join ET ? I see that Valerenga played it, so I would love to see one team from other three EBEL nations in it...
    I think the only condition is to have money. Valerenga has a popular football team to draw funds from.

Thread Information