Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 2011 U20 WC - Buffalo, USA

Quote Originally Posted by cagney View Post
    I watched them play the US (in exhibition) and Canada and they didn't look as bad as the scores would indicate to me. The Slovaks should beat them, and they could do it by 4 or 5 goals as you expect, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them win.

To be honest, being relegated for a year might not be the worst thing for them. Maybe it'll shake up the system they've got in place. Things sometimes have to get worse before they can get better.
    One of the problems for nations like Norway/Austria/Denmark when they reach Elite is that in most cases their "golden" generation promoted them from D1 and due to low player base they can't ice the same quality team year in and year out.

You do realise that you're arguing goaltending, in one game that you admittedly didn't even watch, and that you're arguing WITH A TALENTED AND EXPERIENCED GOALTENDER, right?

Your arguments are lacking. Campbell might have only faced 26 shots, but he made some rather difficult saves in some very dangerous scoring chances.
    From the weak goals that both Roy and Lehner allowed on the same day, it's safe to extrapolate that those two goaltenders would probably not have been in the form necessary to make those same saves.

Swiss might not have had the same number of shots, but the quality of their scoring chances was equal to that of the Swedes, and against a much stronger defense.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMaul View Post
    That's not asburd at all! I mean WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW Campbell saved 25 of only 26 shoots against the most lowscoring team among the remaining ones. Sorry but I just think that's not very impressive.

So many blame Roy. But what about Canada's real problem - THE DEFENSE!!!!! You can't allow 42 shoots against one of the other top teams and except a win.

Seriously do you think Campbell should do as well as he did against Swiss if he get 42 shoots from Sweden? Or would I say Canada?? Say if Campbell should get 42 shoots against Canada in a SF. If he only let in one goal at 42 shoots then we can talk about impressive.

I mean 26 shoots from Swiss and 42 shoots from sweden: which is harder to face?

Roy get all blame but come on 42 shoots from an another top team. Roy wasn't at his best but only to blame him is ridiculous! Its hard to play goalie when you got NO help from your teams defense!

Quote Originally Posted by SLAJA View Post
    Canada is nothing but a lucky hockey nation. they think they are so good but they just get so many lucky breaks its unfair. Canada has a few good players yes, but over all they rely on chance to win games. Sweden today showed the weakness of the Canadian plan, which is just to go out and play individual roles, not a team one.

ie. almost every time the puck was in the defensive zone for Canada, if there is a struggle on the boards to win the puck, instead of keeping a strong defensive zone the canadian players move towards the puck to try to "help out" and win it. then it comes free, everybody is out of position and sweden can get a good scoring shot.

Canada is not going to win any major international competitons for quite some time, because there lucky streak can only last so long.
    Canada was down to 10 offensive people. Four people were injured. I'm sure you know what that means right.

I have to agree with you though, Canada has no skill. We are very, very lucky to win everything.
    Last edited by kun; 02-01-2011 at 23:59.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by filip cro View Post
    One of the problems for nations like Norway/Austria/Denmark when they reach Elite is that in most cases their "golden" generation promoted them from D1 and due to low player base they can't ice the same quality team year in and year out.
    I was actually talking about Slovakia in the paragraph you highlighted.

I was actually talking about Slovakia in the paragraph you highlighted.
    Ah, my mistake then :D :)

IHF Member
    2-1 Canada after 2 periods....since allowing the first goal 69 seconds into
    the game, Visentin has made 16 saves.
    Conz has faced twice as many shots, but 23 came in the first period.
    I can understand why the US was so hard pressed to beat this team.
    Very frustrating team to play.
    With almost any other goaltender in the Swiss net, Canada would be up at least three.
    Why this kid hasn't been drafted already just blows my mind.
    I mean seriously, Conz single handedly beat Russia last year...outright larceny.
    The Swiss have produced a number of goalies who have played in the NHL, but Conz might
    be better than any of them...if he's given a decent chance.

IHF Member
    Sorry but anyone tell me what's all hype around Swiss is about??? This game against Canada is totally slow. No one of these team has the speed and energy Sweden had against Canada.

Did Swiss had quality chances against USA as Sweden had against Canada? Wow the Swiss must have played their best game against USA. So far I don't see that many goal chances as Sweden had against Canada. And the Swiss goal was totally weak and soft.

Sorry but anyone tell me what's all hype around Swiss is about??? This game against Canada is totally slow. No one of these team has the speed and energy Sweden had against Canada.

Did Swiss had quality chances against USA as Sweden had against Canada? Wow the Swiss must have played their best game against USA. So far I don't see that many goal chances as Sweden had against Canada. And the Swiss goal was totally weak and soft.
    You mean the energy where Sweden was losing 5-4 at 14th min in the 3rd period?
    You mean those soft weak goals by Sweden?

Switizerland has a good team, pay a little more attention, please, give them credit where credit is due. They have played well the last two games.

Actually, yes, they did play better against USA.

For the rest, please refer to kun's post.

IHF Member
    Panik 4 - Norway 0

Pánik 2 - Norway 0
    Pánik- Empty Net 2-0
    Corrected.

It seems that just like last year the Swiss are getting better from game to game, but I´m really intrigued how they´ll do next year once Conz´s not there anymore.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

Relegation Round; Game 3

Slovakia - Norway 5:0 (2:0, 0:0, 3:0)
    1:0 - 12.25 Richard Panik (Preisinger, Janosik) PP1
    2:0 - 13.03 Richard Panik(2) (Bortnak, Janosik) PP2
    3:0 - 51.01 Juraj Majdan (Panik, Bortnak)
    4:0 - 53.29 Richard Panik(3) EN
    5:0 - 55.05 Richard Panik(4) (Majdan) EN
    PIM: 4x2 - 4x2+1x10 SOG: 31-37 Att: 1189
    Goalkeepers: Juraj Holly 37/37 - Lars Volden 26/29
    Refs: Bauer Stephan (Ger), Claesson Pehr (Swe) Linesmen: Brown David (Usa), Morrison Johnathan (Usa)
    SVK: Holly Juraj; Janosik Adam, Jabornik Henrich, Majdan Juraj, Bortnak Dalibor, Panik Richard +C, Ceresnak Peter, Stastny Andrej +A, Vandas Michael, Hrivik Marek, Preisinger Miroslav +A, Kozak Lukas, Trska Peter, Sisovsky Peter, Jurco Tomas, Kudrna Andrej, Jokel Oliver, Simcak Dominik, Matousek
    NOR: Volden Lars; Bryhnisveen Nicolai, Skaarberg Tobias, Stene Andreas +C, Olden Sondre, Oppoyen Jonas, Madso Kenneth +A, Rokseth Daniel, Borresen Eirik, Weberg Nicholas, Rosseli Olsen Mats, Danielsen Adrian, Andersen Robin, Juell Rasmus, Haga Michael, Brekke Simen, Bacher Jens Ulrik, Lindahl Magnus, Roste Fossen Pertter, Hollstedt Hans Kristian +A, Sundelius Joacim

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kun View Post
    You mean the energy where Sweden was losing 5-4 at 14th min in the 3rd period?
    You mean those soft weak goals by Sweden?

Switizerland has a good team, pay a little more attention, please, give them credit where credit is due. They have played well the last two games.

Loool, none of the Swedish goals were weaker than the Swiss one against Canada. And 17 shoots for Swiss against Canada. Sweden had 42 shoots against Canada. But of course the Swiss offense is MUCH better than Sweden's right?

What do you mean with Sweden was losing 5-4 in 3rd period? We did won!

I guess none of you saw that amazing speed and energy Sweden had just one day after the game against Czech Rep.

Sorry but some people should give Sweden some credit!
    Last edited by DarthMaul; 03-01-2011 at 01:13.

Quater-final #1

Canada - Switzerland 4:1 (1:1, 1:0, 2:0)
    0:1 - 01.09 Inti Pestoni (Bartschi)
    1:1 - 15.06 Ryan Johansen (Schenn, Ellis) PP1
    2:1 - 37.28 Casey Cizikas (Ashton, Despres)
    3:1 - 44.17 Louis Leblanc (Eakin, Schenn)
    4:1 - 58.01 Zack Kassian (Olsen) EN
    PIM: 2x2 - 6x2+2x10 SOG: 50-22 Att: 14.890
    Goalkeepers: Mark Visentin 21/22 - Benjamin Conz 46/49
    Refs: Boman Antti (Fin), Kaval Keith (Usa) Linesmen: Kaspar Christian (Aut), Kekalainen Mikko (Fin)
    CAN: Visentin Mark; Olsen Dylan, Ellis Ryan +C, Schenn Brayden +A, Hamilton Curtis, Johansen Ryan, Cowen Jared +A, Barrie Tyson, Cizikas Casey, Eakin Cody, Ashton Carter, Despres Simon, Gudbranson Erik, Kassian Zack, Foligno Marcus, Leblanc Louis, de Haan Calvin, Couturier Sean, Howden Quinton, Connolly Brett
    SUI: Conz Benjamin; Loeffel Romain, Steiner Nicholas, Schappi Reto +A, Scherwey Tristan +A, Niederreiter Nino +C, Camperchioli Luca, Trutmann Dario, Hofmann Gregory, Bartschi Sven, Pestoni Inti, Guerra Samuel, Untersander Ramon, Engler Renato, Walser Samuel, Herren Yannick, Schlumpf Dominik, Haas Gaetan, McGregor Ryan, Antonietti Benjamin, Vermin Joel

Just as you gave credit to Swiss team
    Hokej u Hrvatskoj ima svijetlu budućnost SAMO AKO mjerodavni ljudi rade svoj posao kako treba - Pršljen
    Hockey in Croatia has a bright future ONLY IF relevant people do their job right - Pršljen

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pršljen View Post
    Just as you gave credit to Swiss team
    Well they were pretty good mostly because Conz. They as team isn't good enough to take any medals. Now they are out from the medal round.

The problem is that some people seems to think they are more impressive than Sweden. "Ohh, Sweden makes soft goals, ohhh swiss has quality chances as Sweden, Swiss goalie is better than Sweden's".

The truth is that Swiss aren't even close Sweden in offense even some people seems to think so.

Why were Canada so "nice" against the Swiss? Damn they hitting Sweden hard, but against the Swiss not so much. Why?

Sweden, Sweden, Sweden, Sweden.

You know what Sweden can do ?

They can kiss my ***
    Suomi !

Well they were pretty good mostly because Conz. They as team isn't good enough to take any medals. Now they are out from the medal round.

The problem is that some people seems to think they are more impressive than Sweden. "Ohh, Sweden makes soft goals, ohhh swiss has quality chances as Sweden, Swiss goalie is better than Sweden's".

The truth is that Swiss aren't even close Sweden in offense even some people seems to think so.

Why were Canada so "nice" against the Swiss? Damn they hitting Sweden hard, but against the Swiss not so much. Why?
    Its more fun to hit the Swedes :)

IHF Member
    Loool, none of the Swedish goals were weaker than the Swiss one against Canada. And 17 shoots for Swiss against Canada. Sweden had 42 shoots against Canada. But of course the Swiss offense is MUCH better than Sweden's right?

What do you mean with Sweden was losing 5-4 in 3rd period? We did won!

I guess none of you saw that amazing speed and energy Sweden had just one day after the game against Czech Rep.

Yeah, them Czechs just knocked the stuffing out of Sweden....it's a wonder
    your poor, beleaguered team was able to answer the bell the following day.
    Gimme a break.
    The way the Czechs played, Sweden could have played them Friday morning and it
    wouldn't have made a lick of difference.
    NOBODY was claiming the Swiss were better than the Swedes, especially on offense...
    It's absolutely amazing how your deranged mind processes words written on a page.
    And people will "give Sweden some credit" when they finally win this damn tournament!

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatleysucks View Post
    Yeah, them Czechs just knocked the stuffing out of Sweden....it's a wonder
    your poor, beleaguered team was able to answer the bell the following day.
    Gimme a break.
    The way the Czechs played, Sweden could have played them Friday morning and it
    wouldn't have made a lick of difference.
    NOBODY was claiming the Swiss were better than the Swedes, especially on offense...
    It's absolutely amazing how your deranged mind processes words written on a page.
    And people will "give Sweden some credit" when they finally win this damn tournament!
    Really?? Then why all credit for the Swiss then??

IHF Member
    Because they have played very well and exceeded expectations. Just like people have given Sweden credit; unless I'm mistaken there were numerous people on this forum (including a number of Canadians) who congratulated Sweden on their play against Canada. I seem to remember telling you this previously but discussions operate best when you make an effort to read what other people have posted before you respond.

I'm sure if the Swedes win the tournament people will recognise them as such, however, the fact is that people aren't going to roll over and declare Sweden the greatest on the basis of a shootout victory in the round robin. They will wait until the gold medal game and the same is true for people's evaluation of Canada and the USA.
    Melbourne Ice - Chicago Blackhawks - HK Gladiators Trnava - Dukla Trencin - Újpesti TE - Ak Bars Kazan

IHF Member
    Sigh....

I give up...
    I mean...wow.
    It's like...I don't know....arguing with someone who only says "I know you are but what am I?".
    It's an utterly pointless exercise, trying to verbally joust with someone who apparently has no sense of humour and certainly no sense of irony.
    OK Darth, you win.
    You are completely impervious to everything I can throw at you....like water off a duck's back.
    How can I turn on your stove when the pilot light is out?

I can see Germans beating Czech's. Germans played two good games against Swiss and Slovakia and went little bit unlucky there. Now it is time for them to repeat result from 2007. (U18) when they beat CZE and sent them in D1.

Go Germany !

Sigh....

I give up...
    I mean...wow.
    It's like...I don't know....arguing with someone who only says "I know you are but what am I?".
    It's an utterly pointless exercise, trying to verbally joust with someone who apparently has no sense of humour and certainly no sense of irony.
    OK Darth, you win.
    You are completely impervious to everything I can throw at you....like water off a duck's back.
    How can I turn on your stove when the pilot light is out?
    Your sense of humor and irony is as underappreciated as much as the Swedes are
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

just because I don't like team Canada doesn't mean I can't make judgements about them.

I said they have talent but its not a blowout like some people say it is. Canada is NOT the most talented hockey nation on earth. AND THIS EVOLVES OVER TIME!

what I was saying is this tactics of coming in with mindset of best players is why canada will LOSE a lot in the future. this is what I call "chance".

with that said,

SLAVA ROSSSSIYAA!!!!
    ***СЛАЯ***

Canada is NOT the most talented hockey nation on earth. AND THIS EVOLVES OVER TIME!
    I think Canada has come a long way in terms of skill of individual players since the early 1990's and even mid 1980's. I think the NHL top scoring leaders shows this.

I don't agree with this old notion, that we play like we did back in the 1970's.

IHF Member
    just because I don't like team Canada doesn't mean I can't make judgements about them.

I said they have talent but its not a blowout like some people say it is. Canada is NOT the most talented hockey nation on earth. AND THIS EVOLVES OVER TIME!

what I was saying is this tactics of coming in with mindset of best players is why canada will LOSE a lot in the future. this is what I call "chance".

with that said,

SLAVA ROSSSSIYAA!!!!
    Darth's soul mate....

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by filip cro View Post
    I can see Germans beating Czech's. Germans played two good games against Swiss and Slovakia and went little bit unlucky there. Now it is time for them to repeat result from 2007. (U18) when they beat CZE and sent them in D1.

Go Germany !
    It's going to be very close, that's for sure.

Darth-

If you actually read what I wrote, I said that Sweden is a favorite to win gold along with Canada and the USA, and that Lehner is an excellent goalie who just had a bad night - which he did.

Lehner is almost ready for an NHL job.......he's that good. He's arguably the only goalie in the tournament ready for the NHL right now.

What I wrote is that if Sweden plays like they did against Canada - and if Canada plays like they did against Sweden - then I believe that the USA becomes the favorite to win the tournament.

As I said, I expect both Canada and Sweden to play significantly better the rest of the way, which means that any of Sweden, Canada or the USA are capable of winning gold.

One last thought, for Slaja -

How can you honestly say that Canada isn't the most talented hockey nation? In terms of top end skill, depth of talent, and quality of facilities (as well as, arguably, quality of coaching), it is far and away the best there is, and nobody else comes close.

Other nations can come close in terms of their very best facing off against Canada's very best, but Canada's depth of talent blows everybody else away.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Darth-

If you actually read what I wrote, I said that Sweden is a favorite to win gold along with Canada and the USA, and that Lehner is an excellent goalie who just had a bad night - which he did.

Lehner is almost ready for an NHL job.......he's that good. He's arguably the only goalie in the tournament ready for the NHL right now.

What I wrote is that if Sweden plays like they did against Canada - and if Canada plays like they did against Sweden - then I believe that the USA becomes the favorite to win the tournament.

As I said, I expect both Canada and Sweden to play significantly better the rest of the way, which means that any of Sweden, Canada or the USA are capable of winning gold.

One last thought, for Slaja -

How can you honestly say that Canada isn't the most talented hockey nation? In terms of top end skill, depth of talent, and quality of facilities (as well as, arguably, quality of coaching), it is far and away the best there is, and nobody else comes close.

Other nations can come close in terms of their very best facing off against Canada's very best, but Canada's depth of talent blows everybody else away.
    I keep having the same recurring nightmare, where I'm back in the college dorm.
    sharing a room with Slaja and Darth.....EEK!

SLAJA- Think about how many other players Canada has that are playing prominent roles with their respective NHL clubs that are still eligible to play in this tourney.

Canada could Ice 3 teams that can be competitve for god's sake.

The depth Canada has to me is mind blowing and you must be foolish not to think likewise.
    Suomi !

Quote Originally Posted by S_Berish90 View Post
    SLAJA- Think about how many other players Canada has that are playing prominent roles with there respective NHL clubs that are still eligible to play in this tourney.

Canada could Ice 3 teams that can be competitve for god's sake.

The depth Canada has to me is mind blowing and you must be foolish not to think likewise.

O'Reilly, Duchene, Hall...to just name a few...With that three players they would demolish all teams here by large margine.

Relegation Round; Game 4

Czech Republic - Germany 3:2 (0:0, 1:1, 2:1)
    0:1 - 22.54 Norman Hauner (Brandl, Ohmann)
    1:1 - 28.04 Michal Hlinka (Jerabek, Frk) PP1
    1:2 - 46.21 Marius Mochel (Keil)
    2:2 - 50.44 Ondrej Palat (Horak, Jerabek)
    3:2 - 59.00 Ondrej Palat(2) (Straka)
    PIM: 2x2 - 3xx2 SOG: 40-31 Att: 1171
    Goalkeepers: Filip Novotny 29/31 - Philipp Grubauer 37/40
    Refs: Kadyrov Rafail (Rus), Konc Daniel (Svk) Linesmen: Tvrdon Jozef (Svk), Winge Daniel (Swe)
    CZE: Novotny Filip; Reznicek Dalibor, Jerabek Jakub +C, Palat Ondrej, Straka Petr, Horak Roman, Senkerik Petr, Planek Martin, Frk Martin, Rachunek Tomas, Honejsek Antonin, Horak Oldrich, Sedlak Adam, Hlinka Michal +A, Nestrasil Andrej +A, Orsava Jakub, Culek Jakub, Holik Petr, Soudek Robin, Tuma David
    GER: Grubauer Philipp; Abeltshauser Konrad +A, Woidtke Jannik, Kuhnhackl Tom, Noebels Marcel, Rieder Tobias, Lindlbauer Peter, Hufner Benjamin, Braun Laurin +C, Hofflin Mirko, Plachta Matthias, Bittner Dominik, Mapes Corey, Hauner Norman, Brandl Thomas, Ohmann Marcel, Orendorz Dieter, El-Sayed Marc +A, Keil Bernhard, Latta Nickolas, Mochel Marius

I keep having the same recurring nightmare, where I'm back in the college dorm.
    sharing a room with Slaja and Darth.....EEK!
    thats not a recurring nightmare.....its a terminal disease :)

Regardless of whthet Finland or Russia wins, I think Sweden will win the SF.
    1. Because Sweden has a superior team this year
    2. Because their opponents will run out of gas having played a tough game less then 24 housr before

IHF Member
    Well the Czechs and Slovaks avoid relegation with their wins today, so Tuesday's game is
    mostly for bragging rights....although there isn't really a lot either can brag about.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ref72 View Post
    Regardless of whthet Finland or Russia wins, I think Sweden will win the SF.
    1. Because Sweden has a superior team this year
    2. Because their opponents will run out of gas having played a tough game less then 24 housr before
    Finland and Russia are now in OT....in the playoff round do they play 5, 10 or 20 minutes sudden death?

wow, credit to Russia! Did the Fins pull a huge choke job? I mean 2 goals up with less then 4 minutes to go in regulation - no way you should lose!

Im just happy Russia-Finland ended in overtime and wasnt ruined by going to a shoot-out. I know for tournaments you cant have unlimited overtimes but play-off matches determined by a shoot-out ruins the match for me.

SF predictions:
    Sweden 4, Russia 2
    Canada 4, USA 3

Finland and Russia are now in OT....in the playoff round do they play 5, 10 or 20 minutes sudden death?
    Every round but the Gold medal match plays 10 minute overtime followed by a shoot-out. For the gold medal match, I dont know if they do two 20 minute overtime or just one follow by shoot-out.

Maybe you can understand this better than me...from IIHF
    # In the Gold Medal game there will be a 20-minute sudden-death overtime period, following a 15-minute intermission during which the ice will be resurfaced.
    # The teams will change ends.
    # The team which scores a goal during this period is declared winner.
    # If no goal is scored during the sudden-death overtime, there will be Game Winning Shot (GWS) competition ("shootout") according to the Game Winning Shots Procedure.
    Or do they mean, they take 15 minute break then the overtime period follow by shoot-out?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ref72 View Post
    wow, credit to Russia! Did the Fins pull a huge choke job? I mean 2 goals up with less then 4 minutes to go in regulation - no way you should lose!
    I don't know cuz I don't get TSN 2 and I can't stream on this machine I have.
    I followed the game on Live Stats and I too thought Finland had it.
    Behind every great comeback there is a tank job....just ask the Houston Oilers.

Quater-final #2

Finland - Russia 3:4/OT (1:1, 1:0, 1:2, 0:1)
    0:1 - 10.10 Yuri Urychev (Sobchenko, Tarasenko)
    1:1 - 12.32 Teemu Pulkkinen (Pakarinen)
    2:1 - 37.26 Julius Junttila (Salomaki)
    3:1 - 42.24 Joonas Donskoi (Pulkkinen, Vatanen) PP1
    3:2 - 56.19 Yevgeni Kuznetsov (Kitsyn) PP1
    3:3 - 58.22 Maxim Kitsyn (Kuznetsov, Kalinin)
    3:4 - 66.44 Yevgeni Kuznetsov(2) (Kitsyn)
    PIM: 5x2 - 6x2 SOG: 37-45 Att: 13.471
    Goalkeepers: Joni Ortio 41/45 - Dmitri Shikin 34/37
    Refs: Kirk Matt (Can), Smith Pat (Can) Linesmen: Blaha Jaromir (Cze), Wilmot Jesse (Can)
    FIN: Ortio Joni; Jokipakka Jyrki, Vatanen Sami +C, Pulkkinen Teemu, Haula Erik, Pakarinen Iiro +A, Manelius Nico +A, Rissanen Rasmus, Armia Joel, Rajala Toni, Nattinen Joonas, Kivisto Tommi, Virtanen Jesse, Salomaki Miikka, Junttila Julius, Donskoi Joonas, Maatta Olli, Tuominen, Virkkunen Valtteri, Tallberg Teemu, Turtiainen Jaakko
    RUS: Shikin Dmitri; Orlov Dmitri +A, Urychev Yuri, Valuiski Semyon, Tarasenko Vladimir +C, Sobchenko Danil, Zaitsev Nikita, Berezin Maxim, Kitsyn Maxim, Kalinin Sergei, Kuznetsov Yevgeni, Pivtsakin Nikita, Berdyukov Georgi, Burdasov Anton, Voronin Artyom, Dvurechenski Nikita +A, Ignatovich Maxim, Sergeyev Andrei, Bocharov Stanislav, Panarin Artemi, Golubev Denis

Finland is a very good team that simply collapsed in the final five minutes.

Russia showed the heart and courage that everyone has been saying they've been missing for a long time.

Both Shikin and Ortio played really well.

I do believe that Sweden will beat Russia, though.

Canada - USA is up for grabs.

I just am watching the Russia-Finland game delayed on TSN2. The tieing goal by Russia had to be one of the best individual moves / efforts by the Russian forward I have seen all year - junior or pro!!

Kuznetsov!!! ЯЯЯЯЯЯЯЯЯЯЯЯЯ what a play!

8:30 in the morning here in Narva and still celebrating! bring on the vikings!

and to mark, and berish,
    you have the typical view that north american hockey and NHL is for some reason best in the world. well its not! I don't care how many "nhl rights" have on canadian team it only shows they are good enough to play national senior level hockey. lions beat stanley cup champion blackhawks in 09-10, SKA beat karolinas.

just because you use a measure which YOU think is the best, dosnt make it the best. and also everybody knows that the NHL has a particular style of play and way of opertaions which usually descriminats against europeans.
    ***СЛАЯ***

IHF Prospect

Sweden

Wow, I'm actually embarrased. Why do you need all this acknowledgement for the swedish team?
    I'm confident in them and believe that we'll win over Russia, it won't be an easy win though. They (together with canada) have given us the toughest game so far.
    And cred to the Swiss (YEEES, Maul) for last nights game. Conz is a great goalie but going from a 8-1 loss to the game last night in just a couple of days is a good accomplishment.

Nice job Russia !
    Seems that Capitals got another Russian power forward - Evgeni Kuznetsov.
    Hokej u Hrvatskoj ima svijetlu budućnost SAMO AKO mjerodavni ljudi rade svoj posao kako treba - Pršljen
    Hockey in Croatia has a bright future ONLY IF relevant people do their job right - Pršljen

IHF Member

bla bla bla....as usual.......
    Cheers, Franco

Slaja -

That could be the funniest thing posted on this thread.

The NHL is clearly the world's top-level hockey league.

All of the world's top players say so........all of them. Name ONE top-flight professional player who says otherwise.

Mats Zuccarello-Aasen, last year's Elitserien leading scorer and MVP, says that the American Hockey League is as good as Elitserien, although different in style, and that the NHL is better than any hockey he has ever seen.

Dominik Hasek and Jaromir Jagr - legends of the sport, and both European, and who both have played NHL and KHL hockey - both say that to compare the NHL and KHL is ludicrous, and that the NHL is still much stronger.

I can give you 100 other examples if you wish.

Also, since the fall of the Soviet Union, the NHL vs. non-NHL head to head record is overwhelmingly in favor of the NHL. No surprise there - the very top North Americans AND Europeans play there, with VERY few exceptions.

Should we be surprised at several exhibition wins by non-NHL teams over NHL teams? Not at all. Europe's Top-7 leagues, and the AHL for that matter, are world-class, elite pro hockey, so the teams from those leagues can certainly knock off an NHL club on occasion.

Then again, I wouldn't be completely stunned if a top NCAA Division I team, a top EBEL team, a top Belarussian Open League team, or even one of the top teams from this tournament pulled the odd upset of an NHL club.

Hate the NHL all you want. I despise its leadership myself, for the most part. But there is a difference between hating it and refusing to acknowledge the obvious in terms of its skill level.

As for style, there are times I enjoy the NHL style of play more than the KHL style of play, and other times that my mood shifts and I enjoy the KHL style of play more. Again, though, that is irrelevant in tterms of discussing the leagues' levels of play.

Even the KHL is not what I want to see out of Russian hockey......I miss the Soviet-era, five man unit, puck possession style of Russian hockey from the 1970's and 1980's.

With all of that being said, the NHL vs. non-NHL discussion has nothing to do with Canada's status as the pre-eminent hockey nation.

Canada has the very top talent in the world, although Sweden, the USA, Russia, Finland, and perhaps the Czechs, Slovaks and Swiss can beat them on any given night. Any other nation beating them would be a HUGE upset.

As for depth of talent and the other factors I pointed out - well, it's simple fact. Canada has far more registered players, far more modern rinks, has hockey far more entrenched in its everyday culture, has far more qualified teachers and coaches, than ANY other nation.

Canadian players permeate and populate every single pro league in the world........they account for more foreigners in other leagues than any other nation's players...........ever wonder why?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information