Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: European Trophy 2011

17.December - Semi-finals

Jokerit - Luleå HF 3:2/OT (0:1, 2:0, 0:1, 1:0)
    0:1 - 13.38 Simon Hjalmarsson PP
    1:1 - 36.40 Ossi Väänänen (Eronen, Filppula) PP
    2:1 - 39.12 Jani Rita
    2:2 - 47.04 Ville Viitaluoma (Gunnarsson, Vihko)
    3:2 - 64.00 Markus Nordlund (Dehner, Eronen) PP

Linköpings HC - EC Red Bull Salzburg 3:4/SO (1:0, 1:3, 1:0, 0:0-0:1)
    1:0 - 07.29 Pär Arlbrandt (Hullström) PP2
    1:1 - 24.04 Brent Aubin (Abid) PP1
    1:2 - 25.16 Danny Bois (Glenn, Aubin) PP1
    2:2 - 29.19 Johan Akerman (Lindhagen, Hlinka) PP1
    2:3 - 38.06 Scott Barney (Williams, Schlacher) PP1
    3:3 - 53.46 Erik Andersson (Arlbrandt, Akerman) PP1
    3:4 - 65.00 Scott Barney
    PIM: 8x2 - 9x2

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHKStarkovs View Post
    Jokerit - Luleå HF 3:2/OT (0:1, 2:0, 0:1, 1:0)
    0:1 - 13.38 Simon Hjalmarsson PP
    1:1 - 36.40 Ossi Väänänen (Eronen, Filppula) PP
    2:1 - 39.12 Jani Rita
    2:2 - 47.04 Ville Viitaluoma (Gunnarsson, Vihko)
    3:2 - 64.00 Markus Nordlund (Dehner, Eronen) PP

Linköpings HC - EC Red Bull Salzburg 3:4/SO (1:0, 1:3, 1:0, 0:0-0:1)
    1:0 - 07.29 Pär Arlbrandt (Hullström) PP2
    1:1 - 24.04 Brent Aubin (Abid) PP1
    1:2 - 25.16 Danny Bois (Glenn, Aubin) PP1
    2:2 - 29.19 Johan Akerman (Lindhagen, Hlinka) PP1
    2:3 - 38.06 Scott Barney (Williams, Schlacher) PP1
    3:3 - 53.46 Erik Andersson (Arlbrandt, Akerman) PP1
    3:4 - 65.00 Scott Barney
    PIM: 8x2 - 9x2
    Fantastic performance by Red Bull, Linkoping was clearly better in game, but PP of Red Bull there just deadly and of course their new GK Marty Turco made the result for them...

Let's see how it will go in final, I think Jokerit currently is one of the best teams in Europe.

Its fun reading other peoples comments about the tournament, Group stage treated like a true European Championship, the Championship tournament treated as if this was a pre-season/holiday tournament. Cant qualify during the Group stage but you have a free ride, treat it like its the Spengler Cup and bring in players who wont even be with you after tonight. ET proved this year its nothing more then a glorified pre-season tournament with a joke of a Championship, as much as I have enjoyed this tournament, like many others will never respect it until they fix the major problems surrounding it.

IHF Member
    ET is just that it is now - basically pre-season tournament with final part heavily depending from main sponsor BUT there is really nothing better for European hockey clubs - European Champion hockey league is dead, KHL can' t really be called European league yet, continental cup - this is mainly for teams outside Top 7... so we come to conclusion that ET is the best european hockey club tournament we currently have!

18.December - Classification

7th place match

Frölunda HC - HC Mountfield České Budějovice 4:2 (2:1, 1:0, 1:1)
    1:0 - 12.20 Victor Backman (Sjöström, Lasu)
    1:1 - 15.44 Jiri Simanek (Martynek)
    2:1 - 18.27 Mikael Johansson (Axelsson, Lundqvist)
    3:1 - 32.11 Henrik Tömmernes (Johansson, Olimb)
    4:1 - 46.24 Fredrik Pettersson (Olimb, Persson)
    4:2 - 52.12 David Kuchejda (Mertl, Psurny)

5th place match

HC ČSOB Pojišťovna Pardubice - HC Plzeň 1929 5:3 (2:1, 3:0, 0:2)

1:0 - 16.25 Petr Koukal SH2
    1:1 - 17.31 Tomas Piule (Vykoukal, Marusak) PP1
    2:1 - 19.46 Casey Borer (Stary)
    3:1 - 32.37 Tomas Zohorna (Kolar, Stary)
    4:1 - 33.29 Martin Sagt (Borer)
    5:1 - 57.36 Tomas Zohorna(2) (Semorad, Benak)
    5:2 - 47.36 Jan Kovar (Kinrade)
    5:3 - 48.10 Pavel Mirna (Dresler, Mazanec)
    PIM: 5x2 - 3x2

Quote Originally Posted by JankS View Post
    ET is just that it is now - basically pre-season tournament with final part heavily depending from main sponsor BUT there is really nothing better for European hockey clubs - European Champion hockey league is dead, KHL can' t really be called European league yet, continental cup - this is mainly for teams outside Top 7... so we come to conclusion that ET is the best european hockey club tournament we currently have!
    Yeah, but it's dead only because clubs and/or federations have shown that they'd rather play in a glorified preseason tournament than in a true European Championship.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Yeah, but it's dead only because clubs and/or federations have shown that they'd rather play in a glorified preseason tournament than in a true European Championship.
    Is it really known which federations and/or clubs denied idea of champions hockey league next season and which supported it?

Finals

3rd place match

Luleå HF - Linköpings HC 3:2/OT (0:1, 1:1, 1:0, 1:0)
    0:1 - 19.07 Jan Hlavac (Albrandt)
    0:2 - 23.08 Dahlbeck (Ottosson, Laumann-Ylven)
    1:2 - 29.14 Hjalmarsson (Sandström, Sandell) PP1
    2:2 - 51.59 John Fransson
    3:2 - 64.58 Jan Sandrström
    PIM: 3x2 - 5x2+1x10 SOG: 28-39

Championship

Jokerit - EC Red Bull Salzburg 2:3 (1:0, 1:1, 0:2)
    1:0 - 00.08 Nichlas Hardt (Filppula)
    2:0 - 26.56 Alexander Ruutu (Hardt) PP1
    2:1 - 33.49 Danny Bois (Abid, Glenn) PP1
    2:2 - 41.11 Danny Bois(2) (Regier, Aubin)
    2:3 - 47.36 Akim Aliu (Schiechl)
    PIM: 4x2+1x4 - 4x2 SOG: 34-28
    Last edited by Starkovs; 18-12-2011 at 23:20.

Only thing that really bothers me about the result of this ET tournament is that a team won that has not qualified on the ice but just because they were the hosts...
    RIP Pavol Demitra, Karel Rachunek, Robert Dietrich and all the other Loko players and staff that died Sept. 7 2011 !

IHF Prospect
    Next year's ET will consist of 32 teams.

The new teams are JYP from Finland, Brynäs from Sweden, Bern, Zürich, Zug, and Fribourg-Gottéron from Switzerland, and Hamburg and Ingolstadt from Germany.

Nice! Remains to be seen if they take the tournament further into the season the next time.

Lennartsson was pleased with Red Bull Salute....uhh really, because the fans of this tournament sure dont seem pleased what so ever with the result. Good job Lennartsson, perhaps over the summer you tell RBS to not bring in players, if you dont have the skill, dont enter, and its clear Salzburg isnt close to being skilled enough to compete with the best of Europe.

Anyways, enough with this year, moving forward to next season, tournament expands to 32 clubs including the returning Swiss. Clubs as followed....
    NLA: SC Bern, ZSC Lions, HC Fribourg-Gottéron and EV Zug
    DEL: ERC Ingolstadt and Hamburg Freezers
    SEL: Brynäs IF
    FEL: JYP Jyväskylä

Lennartsson was pleased with Red Bull Salute....uhh really, because the fans of this tournament sure dont seem pleased what so ever with the result. Good job Lennartsson, perhaps over the summer you tell RBS to not bring in players, if you dont have the skill, dont enter, and its clear Salzburg isnt close to being skilled enough to compete with the best of Europe.
    The problem is not with the team itself but that the European Trophy feels the need to use Red Bull's financial contribution via Red Bulls Salute. Without that, a final tournament wouldn't include an automatic Red Bull Salzburg entry and any team in the final would have played their way in - or only have the pre-season section of the event.

It also reeks of loophole that Red Bull was able to bring in players not skating in their EBEL roster but if the organisers have no rule against it, then its clever but unspirited interpretation of the rules. No matter what, they should have a mandate for the final that players must be on the regular season roster. Wasn't that something teams in the Continental Cup did in the past?
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

I agree with you Trim, it is a problem with European Trophy and I hope down the road they kick Red Bull to the curb. They seem to have the ability to be able to create pretty much a Champions League sort tournament and it would be great if they did this. Clever yes, but like you said very unspirited, you cant qualify, other clubs had players missing for International duties but they used players from their own system, no need to pull this crap. I really hope over the summer Lennartsson blocks this from now on.

Yeah, I believe last year a Turkish club brought in Swedish players to help them advance.

IHF Member
    As swiss teams returns I see only few issues still to be solved to make good European club tournament and replacement of Champions league:

A. Schedule changes to eliminate any free rides for any club in tournament. I also wish tournament to go on deeper into the season to avoid bigest part of games played in august. Also would like to see changes in final part of tournament - it's much better to use home/away system similar to champions hockey league instead of short weekend tournament just in one country;

B. Best KHL teams should participate;

C. There should be one-two places reserved for teams outside Top-seven leagues like BOL, France, Norway, Ukraine, Italy, Danmark, Latvia, maybe Continental cup winners could participate as well.

IHF Member
    i think they are expanding the tournament just to make money off of it and it might cause the quality of play during the tournament to suffer and does anyone think that teams form outside the top seven European leagues will be invited for next years tournament?

Next year tournament is already set, any "new" incomers are the Swiss again, see post 111 for the clubs added. As for the play to suffer, I suppose if they create some weird schedule were the clubs play so many matches really fast and all over the place but the clubs they are bringing in dont make the tournament any worse.

The Swiss clubs make the tournament better.

As for Salzburg, even their fans are smart enough to know that they would not have qualified for the finals but for an automatic berth, and would not have won without signing NHL veteran goaltender Marty Turco for the week.

IHF Member
    It looks like ET is making the next steps, at least in the direction of
    of a Champions League. More games will be moved into the
    season ( 6 games in preseason, 2 games in oktober/november during the regular season)
    The final tournament could take place in Viena/Bratislava or Berlin.
    Also it looks like there will be no free spot for any team.
    They are also looking for (or have already found) a league sponsor.

Groups:

West: ERC Ingolstadt, Adler Mannheim, Jokerit Helsinki, Helsinki IFK,
    Färjestads BK, Frölunda Indians, EV Zug, ZSC Lions

East: SC Bern, HC Fribourg Gotteron, Djurgardens IF, Brynäs IF,
    TPS Turku, JYP Jyväskylä, Bili Tygri Liberec, HC CSOB Pardubice

South: KalPa Kuopio,Tappara Tampere, HV71, Linköpings HC,
    Sparta Prag, Slavia Prag, Vienna Capitals, Slovan Bratislava

North: Kärpät Oulun, Lulea HF, Eisbären Berlin, Hamburg Freezers,
    Plzen HC, Kometa Brno, EC Red Bull Salzburg, HC Mountfield Budweis

http://www.berliner-zeitung.de/newst...,10948166.html

Looks very exciting, can't wait for it!

That sounds great and if that is true I would love it but could you show me in that article where it says the Groups and Red Bull Salute is no longer the Championship host? That article is from August and I can only see the 24 clubs with Berlin schedule from this tournament. Perhaps I am reading it wrong so could you please quote it for me?

IHF Member
    That sounds great and if that is true I would love it but could you show me in that article where it says the Groups and Red Bull Salute is no longer the Championship host? That article is from August and I can only see the 24 clubs with Berlin schedule from this tournament. Perhaps I am reading it wrong so could you please quote it for me?
    The information is from different sources.

Concerning group alignment e.g.
    http://forum.erci-fanprojekt.de/view...t=288&start=10

Concerning final tournament e.g.
    http://www.morgenpost.de/sport/eisba...an-Trophy.html

It's interesting that everyone says that Salzburg are not worthy winners, but, hey, they beat their opponents in fair and square.

Cheers for the links, thank you. I really wish for this to come true, would really begin to make European Trophy a true competition. No more free rides with rosters more set, I love it.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    The information is from different sources.

Concerning group alignment e.g.
    http://forum.erci-fanprojekt.de/view...t=288&start=10

Concerning final tournament e.g.
    http://www.morgenpost.de/sport/eisba...an-Trophy.html
    And this one:
    http://www.scb.ch/news-content.aspx?id=2579

I read somewhere that there will be a meetiing of all the teams in mid january.

I really like there bottom-up approach. Don't start to ambitious (like chl which folded after one season)
    First create a demand by the fans and then step by step make it every season a little better.

How do you figure, Oz?

They played their regular roster in the group stage, and, had they not been given an automatic bid to the final stage as the hosts, would not have qualified.

Then they sign an NHL ringer goalie just for the week of the final stage, who has never played for their club before and won't be playing for their club in their own league competition after the tournament.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    How do you figure, Oz?

They played their regular roster in the group stage, and, had they not been given an automatic bid to the final stage as the hosts, would not have qualified.

Then they sign an NHL ringer goalie just for the week of the final stage, who has never played for their club before and won't be playing for their club in their own league competition after the tournament.
    We shouldn't be to rigorous. There are a lot of competitions where the host gets a free spot automatically (Fifa World Cup ..)
    They are the main sponsor and by the way they were fighting with heart and are worthy winners. On the other hand
    some players were missing due to a National Team Competition scheduled at the same time.

But i am sure in the future the organizers will fix this "problem".

Those countries also dont play in the Qualification/Group Stage so they are not taking away spots from clubs who earned the right to be in the tournament (Berlin this year, Sparta Praha last year). As well, dont host your tournament during the International break, you know you run the risk of losing players to National duties, dont use it as an excuse. Other clubs lost players and they used their own system, Salzburg has their own junior system, both their goalkeepers were able to play, no reason to accept loans or sign a short term deal with Turco.

But like you said, it looks like the organizers realized the backlash of this tournament and are working to fix it.

IHF Member
    Good news but still some issues to solve:
    1. Final tournament just in one/two place(s);
    2. No KHL and BOL teams.

I really wish that the ET included both KHL and BOL teams.

I also wish that the ET would be completely separated from the Red Bull Salute, which, incidentally, was a fun tournament in its own right prior to being combined with the ET.

IHF Member
    Well, it's a step forward, isn't it. KHL and others can still join later. I also like to see more games played in season, although this will create some conflicts with home league schedules, NT breaks, or arena stakeholders. Next big improvement to be made is qualification via home league not invitation tournament.

IHF Member
    The final tournament will be held in Vienna and Bratislava. Vienna Captals and Slovan get
    a free spot in case they don't qualify in group stage, which is pretty likely.
    That means only group winners will qualify! (and two runner ups)
    What a terrible format, if you start with two losses you are simply out. This means that
    most games of the last two rounds (which will be held during regualar season in oktober/november?) are
    completely meaningless, who wants to see those games?

The organizers did a good job the first two seasons, but this is a complete mess, how can they create such a
    stupid format!
    Very disappointing..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information