Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Vitali Smolyaninov

  1. #1
    IHF Member Oz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ragaciems, Latvia
    Posts
    740

    Kazakhstan Vitali Smolyaninov

    Can our Kazakh members or anybody with better Russian help me find out Vitali Smolyaninov's birthplace? Wikipedia and Eurohockey.net states that it is Nizhnekamsk, Russia. But if that really is the case I wonder how was he eligible for Kazakhstan's U20 national team in 2003 when he supposedly joined his first Kazakh club in the very same season and thus didn't have 2 consecutive years played in Kazakhstan? His current club's webpage and some Kazakh hockey webpage gives info on his (first?), I guess, hockey school (Школа) as Karaganda, Kazakhstan which would actually make sense and would explain his eligibility as he probably spent at least two years with local hockey team in Kazakhstan before joining Nizhnekamsk. Thanks in advance for any kind of help.

    Here are the links:
    http://shaiba.kz/player/232
    http://www.hcrubin.ru/hcrubin/rubinroster.html

  2. #2
    IHF Member Oz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ragaciems, Latvia
    Posts
    740
    Artem Lakiza is similiar case. Can anybody help me?

  3. #3
    IHF Member GX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    1,451
    Quote Originally Posted by Oz View Post
    But if that really is the case I wonder how was he eligible for Kazakhstan's U20 national team in 2003 when he supposedly joined his first Kazakh club in the very same season and thus didn't have 2 consecutive years played in Kazakhstan?
    I might be wrong, but was the IIHF's 2-year/4-year eligibility rule already passed by then? I thought it was relatively new.

  4. #4
    IHF Member Oz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ragaciems, Latvia
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by GX View Post
    I might be wrong, but was the IIHF's 2-year/4-year eligibility rule already passed by then? I thought it was relatively new.
    Well, Nabokov was ruled ineligible for Russia before 2002 Olympics because of this rule, wasn't he?

  5. #5
    IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Turin, Italy
    Posts
    2,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Oz View Post
    Artem Lakiza is similiar case. Can anybody help me?
    I don't know the specifical situation, but most likely he was born in Nizhnekamsk, then his family moved to Kazakhstan, then they retained Kz citizenship after the fall of the union.
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

  6. #6
    IHF Member Oz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ragaciems, Latvia
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
    I don't know the specifical situation, but most likely he was born in Nizhnekamsk, then his family moved to Kazakhstan, then they retained Kz citizenship after the fall of the union.
    Yet his first career history entry comes in Khabarovsk at the age of 16. I guess he could have played two seasons in Kaz already because bare citizenship isn't enough.

  7. #7
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    280
    I think the Kazakhs bought him. It's the same with the goalie Poloshkov. However, if my memory serves me right then players born before 1991 can choose which ex-Soviet country to play for.

  8. #8
    IHF Member IbragimKZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Almaty
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Oz View Post
    Artem Lakiza is similiar case. Can anybody help me?
    http://shaiba.kz/player/27

    not sure about birth place, Khabarovsk or Barnaul or even Nizhnekamsk, but it says that he's from Barnaul hockey school

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •