Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2011 World U18 Championship - Crimmitschau/Dresden, Germany, 14-24.Apr.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    To have some more opinions about what happend in the SWE-RUS game, although only from a Czech online live report, but described by a person that was there nonetheless:
    1. Swedish 2-1 goal- Vasiljevskij got hit to his mask and the referee didn´t stop the game as he should have and the Swedish goal followed right after that
    2. The Yakupov situation- it says that Yakupov got a great scoring opprtunity, but was stopped by Lundstrom and then Yakupov knocked down Lundstrom, which got him the goalie interference call. Doesn´t mention anything about any of the Swedes doing something that should earn the Russians a PS, but maybe the person writing the report just missed it or their opinion was that it was clean..
    Thank you.

The point is Russia didn't do enough to win. Sometimes the team have the referees with them and sometimes not. Remember the WJC semi between Russia and Sweden? Russia scored a goal that should have been called for an icing. The point is the reason Russia didn't won this semi is that the weren't good enough, not because the referees. also all Sweden's goals came in EQ. I know one is a empty netter but none of the goals were scored in PP.

Now we have heard two different opinions.

Here's the opinion from HF:

The US victory sets up a re-match of the 2010 final. Earlier in the day, Sweden beat Russia 3-1 to advance to the gold-medal game.

That one was tied 1-1 with under 15 minutes to play when Sweden's Gustav Bjorklund converted on a rebound after it had hit the mask of Russian goaltender Andrei Vasilievsky. The outraged Russian team thought that play should have been stopped when the puck hit Vasilievsky's mask, and they seemed to come unglued at that point. Nail Yakupov, a top prospect for the 2012 Draft, ran Swedish goaltender Niklas Lundstrom, cutting the goaltender's lip. The game nearly degenerated into a brawl, and Sweden had to be careful not to lose anybody for the gold medal game.

“We told all our guys that we've gotta be careful,” Sweden's Mika Zibanejad said about the situation. “They were getting pretty mad because they were going to lose and we didn't want to lose anybody for the next game.”
    The thing is the Russians aren't any angels. Also the HF didn't mention anything about a PS should have been called in favour for russia.

But let me guess, Russia didn't deserved the WJC gold?? After all they got some help from the referees in the semi too.

IHF Member
    russia won the bronze with 6-4 against Canada.

What's shame about Russia and the referees in the Sweden game? It's Russia's problem that they only scored ONE goal against Sweden. all russias goals today were scored in EQ or even Shorthanded. Only one was scored in PP. It's RUSSIAS fault that they couldn't do this against Sweden, not the referees.

Bronze medal match

Canada - Russia 4:6 (1:1, 2:4, 1:1)
    0:1 - 11.36 Nikita Kucherov
    1:1 - 18.47 Ryan Murphy (Ritchie, Quine) PP1
    2:1 - 23.07 Alan Quine (Scheifele, Murphy) PP2
    2:2 - 27.40 Nail Yakupov (Konkov)
    2:3 - 28.24 Vladimir Tkachev (Yakupov)
    2:4 - 30.25 Nail Yakupov(2) (Tkachev) SH1
    2:5 - 35.42 Nikita Kucherov(2) (Grigorenko, Yarullin) PP1
    3:5 - 37.59 Ryan Murray (Murphy, Locke) PP1
    4:5 - 58.20 Brett Ritchie (Murphy)
    4:6 - 59.56 Nail Yakupov(3) (Kucherov) EN
    PIM: 3x2 - 5x2 SOG: 42-33 Att: 2024
    Refs: Johansson Morgan (Swe), Stricker Daniel (Sui) Linesmen: Dahmen Jimmy (Swe), Muller Joris (Sui)
    Goalkeepers: Andrew D'Agostini 28/33 - Andrei Vasilevski 38/42
    CAN: D'Agostini Andrew; Murray Ryan +C, Ceci Cody, Locke Eric, Quine Alan, Scheiefe Mark, Harrington Scott +A, Murphy Ryan, Cousns Nick, Ritchie Brett +A, McNeill Mark, Koekkoek Slater, Rielly Morgan, Andrews Brent, Smith Colin, Ewanyk Travis, Scarlett Reece, Catenacci Daniel, Brassard Austen, Hudon Charles, Griffith Seth
    RUS: Vasilevski Andrei; Yarullin Albert +C, Saveliev Anton, Konkov Roman, Kucherov Nikita, Grigorenko Mikhail, Vasilevski Alexei, Nesterov Nikita, Yakupov Nail +A, Smurov Sergei, Tkachev Vladimir, Vorshev Konstantin +A, Shuvalov Maxim, Ivanyuzhenkov Anton, Slepyshev Anton, Yakimov Bogdan, Sabinin Gennadi, Shalunov Maxim, Kuvayev Alexander

Actually, I wasn´t really siding with you, DarthMaul. Point No.1 clearly shows that the Swedish 2-1 goal shouldn´t have been approved. And nope, I´m not against Sweden, I like them much more than Russia.

IHF Member
    Actually, I wasn´t really siding with you, DarthMaul. Point No.1 clearly shows that the Swedish 2-1 goal shouldn´t have been approved. And nope, I´m not against Sweden, I like them much more than Russia.
    I know that! And it'd probably true.

But the icing goal against Sweden in the WJC semi shouldn't been allowed either. Actually it was called icing before an another referee changed the call.

The point is, this happens in everytime. So the referees aren't to blame. Russia weren't good enough against Sweden. Look except the two major penalties for Russia at 60 min, they had 10 minutes as they had today against Canada. also Canada had only one more penalty than Sweden. Still russia scored 6 goals against Canada but not against Sweden. It's Russia fault that they lost against Sweden not the referees.

IHF Member
    Pedan is a little crazy looking though I have to admit. When he did that headbutt...yikes

USA in overtime, 4-3 win. Congrats to the USA Hockey U18 NTDP on another great showing.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthMaul View Post
    Is he a neutral observer?? What if Russia is one of his favorites teams???

no, what I have read about this game, the Russians was bad for example they run into the swedish goalie and cut his lips. also it's their problem if they only made one goal.

But yeah, try to put down Sweden if that make you feel better. I feel American fear here. Looool!
    I have wondered where you have been this tournament - good to see you back after you qualified for the final.

A shame that Sweden as always blew it, when it got really serious.

IHF Member
    Congrats to USA.

Can we change the name of Sweden to the " country of chokers" or something like that? This is embrassing!!!
    Last edited by DarthMaul; 24-04-2011 at 23:03.

Hmmmm.......American fear? Not quite.....though I didn't think Sweden would blow a 3-1 lead heading into the third period.

The USA now has established a dynasty at this event........three in a row!

That warrants the good old U-S-A, U-S-A chant!

Why be embarrassed? Sweden is a threat to win gold at any international hockey event.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Why be embarrassed? Sweden is a threat to win gold at any international hockey event.
    Yeah, but it seems they are nothing more than a threat to do that........

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    ¨

WCH semi 2010, Czech tied with 8s left of the 3rd period. They won in the shootout.

WJC 2011 semi, Russia ties with less than 2min left. They won in the shootout.

and now this... blow a 3-1 lead. USA ties in the last minutes and win it in OT.

EMBRASSING is the word. The Swedes are mental weak..

Actually, I'm impressed by our juniors who consistently performs at these events. Sure, the big prize is still to be won, but I am not prepared to dismiss the team for something that really is a world class performance.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

Gold medal match

United States - Sweden 4:3/OT (1:1, 0:2, 2:0, 1:0)
    0:1 - 03.24 Filip Forsberg
    1:1 - 19.52 Jacob Trouba (Murphy, Boyd) PP1
    1:2 - 32.21 Albin Blomkvist (Bjorklund)
    1:3 - 37.50 Gustav Bjorklund (Karlsson, Johansson)
    2:3 - 41.20 Connor Murphy (Grimaldi, Miller)
    3:3 - 58.31 Reid Boucher (Miller)
    4:3 - 66.06 Connor Murphy(2) (Russo)
    PIM: 3x2 - 5x2 SOG: 41-31 Att: 5007
    Refs: Klein Devin (Can), Salminen Teemu (Fin) Linesmen: Dussureault Francois (Can), Suominen (Fin)
    Goalkeepers: John Gibson 28/31 - Niklas Lundstrom 37/41
    USA: Gibson John; Kaib Barrett, Reid Adam, Samuelsson Henrik, Haggerty Ryan, Carlson Dan, Trouba Jacob, Jones Seth, Kerdilies Nick, Biggs Tyler +A, Boyd Travis, Paliotta Michael, McCabe Jake, Miller JT, Boucher Reid, Grimaldi Rocco, Murphy Connor, Russo Robbie +C, Pietila Blake, Larraza Zach, Bardreau Cole +A
    SWE: Lundstrom Niklas; Brodin Jonas, Klefbom Oscar +C, Boyce-Rotevall Jeremy, Rask Viktor, Zibanejad Mika +A, Bengtsson Rasmus, Johansson Karl +A, Bjorklund Gustav, Karlsson William, Forsberg Filip, Nilsson Tom, Vikstrand Mikael, Arvidsson Viktor, Lilliestrom Karlsson David, Froberg Linus, Blomkvist Albin, Blomstrand Ludwig, Lundberg Emil, Wedin Anton

Relegation Table

RK Team GP W OTW OTL L GF:GA (GD) TP
    1Switzerland3300011:5 (6) 9
    2Czech Republic320019:9 (0) 6
    3Norway310029:9 (0) 3
    4Slovakia300037:13 (-6) 0

Final Rankings

RK Team
    1 United States
    2 Sweden
    3 Russia
    4 Canada
    5 Finland
    6 Germany
    7 Switzerland
    8 Czech Republic
    9 Norway
    10 Slovakia

Scoring leaders

PlayerGPGAPTS
    1Nikita Kucherov7111021
    2Mikhail Grigorenko741418
    3Nail Yakupov76713
    T4Joel Armia64913
    -JT Miller64913
    -Ryan Murphy74913
    7Albert Yarullin701111
    T8Reid Boucher68210
    -Ryan Murray73710
    10Markus Granlund62810

Leading Goalkeepers

PlayerGPGAASV%SO
    1Andrei Vasilevski62,6293,620
    2Steffen Soberg63,9093,060
    3John Gibson62,3492,590
    4Marvin Cupper43,4392,050
    5Luca Boltshauser62,8991,920
    6Malcolm Subban52,9891,281
    7Niklas Lundstrom62,1491,100
    8Matej Machovsky53,2089,680
    9Samu Perhonen43,5287,500
    10Patrik Rybar64,1086,301

Best players voted by Directorate
    Goalkeeper: John Gibson (USA)
    Defender: Ryan Murphy (CAN)
    Forward: Nikita Kucherov (RUS)

Best players per country voted by coaches
    CAN: Ryan Murray, Mark Scheifele, Ryan Murphy
    CZE: Matej Machovsky, David Musil, Lukas Sedlak
    FIN: Joel Armia, Miikka Salomaki, Olli Maatta
    GER: Marvin Cupper, Daniel Fischbuch, Tobias Rieder
    NOR: Steffen Soberg, Magnus Hoff, Sebastian Weberg
    RUS: Albert Yarullin, Anton Slepyshev, Bogdan Yakimov
    SUI: Luca Boltshauser, Jan Neuenschwander, Tanner Richard
    SVK: Vladimir Dolnik, Peter Boltun, Karol Korim
    SWE: Oscar Klefbom, Victor Rask, Joachim Nermark
    USA: JT Miller, Robbie Russo, John Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by DHKStarkovs View Post
    Relegation Table

RK Team GP W OTW OTL L GF:GA (GD) TP
    1Switzerland3300011:5 (6) 9
    2Czech Republic320019:9 (0) 6
    3Norway310029:9 (0) 3
    4Slovakia300037:13 (-6) 0

Final Rankings

RK Team
    1 United States
    2 Sweden
    3 Russia
    4 Canada
    5 Finland
    6 Germany
    7 Switzerland
    8 Czech Republic
    9 Norway
    10 Slovakia

Groups for 2012 shoud look like this

Group A

1. USA
    2. CAN
    3. FIN
    4. CZE
    5. LAT

Group B

1. SWE
    2. RUS
    3. GER
    4. SWI
    5. DEN

You couldnt have asked for a better group for Latvia, yes, amazing!!!

Here is to hoping the Czechs do terrible, we atleast take points off them and then we can beat the Danish and Swiss/Germans.

Gotta say congrats to the US boys for winning their 3rd straight gold, as well as Sweden for making it one heck of a game. That, and it must hurt for Slovakia getting both relegated and being beat by their fellow relegees Team Norway.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    Group B

1. SWE
    2. RUS
    3. GER
    4. SWI
    5. DEN
    If that is indeed the group I fancy our chances to stay up.

IHF Member
    I've watched the last three U18 finals and this was easily the most exciting. I thought the Swedes had us beat this time but the US '93 group has always seemed to have their number. This was actually the fourth OT game the US '93s have won against them in the past two years. I do have to say that I expect the Swedes will beat us sooner than later in a serious game like this. It seems odd to say that given I remember the days of their juniors from the turn of the century being a complete pushover all too well. I really respect the way they've turned their development program around.

I also have to give serious props to the German organizers and fans for this event. Even when the US '91 group won gold at this tournament two years ago in Fargo, North Dakota the crowd never came close to matching the atmosphere of this final. The light show, fireworks and confetti combined with a packed house and screaming crowd was amazing to watch. I'm drinking an Einbecker Mai Bock in honor of the great reception they gave to the US victory.

IHF Member
    I am proud of the Canadian team who was way worse on paper than the americans, but really pushed them; and was also worse than the Russians and pushed them. Canada had leads against the Swedes, Americans AND Russians, but could not hold them, but with the guys they had Im surprised Canada did this well.

Also I really liked what I saw from Ryan Murphy...kid could go top 10 and I wouldnt bat an eyelash.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    Groups for 2012 shoud look like this

Group A

1. USA
    2. CAN
    3. FIN
    4. CZE
    5. LAT
    WOW, just wow!

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHawks View Post
    If that is indeed the group I fancy our chances to stay up.
    Hmm, it is te easiest group - but the Swiss and Germans as improved greatly last few years at this level. We need a Frederik Andersen performance in the goal to have a chance.

IHF Prospect
    Nikita Kucherov set new scoring record of all U18 champs.

Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Gotta say congrats to the US boys for winning their 3rd straight gold, as well as Sweden for making it one heck of a game. That, and it must hurt for Slovakia getting both relegated and being beat by their fellow relegees Team Norway.
    Yep. I see a conspiracy somewhere deep- get the Norwegians to underrate us next year in Div IA and then surprise them! okay, maybe not.....

Yep. I see a conspiracy somewhere deep- get the Norwegians to underrate us next year in Div IA and then surprise them! okay, maybe not.....
    So how's the ambush-in-progress working out for you guys?
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Quote Originally Posted by kaptajnen22 View Post
    Hmm, it is te easiest group - but the Swiss and Germans as improved greatly last few years at this level. We need a Frederik Andersen performance in the goal to have a chance.
    That's the problem.... Latvia's 94 born wouldn't need any special performance to play on the same level as GER and SWI. This year for us is really good. But we have the worst group. I still hope we will beat the Czechs... if not, either way we'll have to face Denmark and some other team. But if we were in Denmark's place... seriously, we would have a real chance to fight for top6 finish.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information