Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Federal Hockey League 2011-12

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyfan 88 View Post
    that's cool.

I have always wanted to play Hockey since I was a kid but medical problems pretty much dashed those dreams.
    anyway are there any good players in FHL who could play in the AHL or Elite European leagues? I know the chances seem really small if not impossible but if Alexandre Burrows could make to the NHL than anyone could
    Two things. Pierre Dagenais and Carter Trevisani were two examples of guys who had played at higher levels who came to the league and did very well in it. Dagenais was a former NHL player who had been playing in the KHL before going over to the FHL. Trevisani had played for the Italian national team. As for your comment about anybody from the league being able to play in the AHL or in Europe, the best of these guys are probably middle of the pack ECHL players, and the rest really have no realistic chances of making it far in the other hockey leagues.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

IHF Member
    The whole Lewiston thing is a test for the market place to see if they like the FHL... If not, then it's a no go.

Cain still wants Jr. hockey, but knows that can only happens if eastward expansion happens.

Federal Hockey League to test Lewiston market
    Published on: 26th July, 2011 by Chris Roy

The Federal Hockey League is coming to Lewiston.

Well… It’s not an expansion franchise, but it’s a chance for hockey fans in Lewiston to voice their opinion with their wallets on a potential future expansion team at Colisee.
    Link>>>>

The league released its schedule on Friday and one thing that stands out is Danville's terrible schedule. Here is the schedule for the month of November:
    Sat, Nov 05, 7:05 pm -Akwesasne @ Danville
    Sun, Nov 06, 2:05 pm - Akwesasne @ Danville
    Wed, Nov 09, 7:05 pm - Danville @ Akwesasne
    Thu, Nov 10, 7:05 pm - Danville @ 1000 Islands
    Fri, Nov 11, 7:05 pm - Danville @ Green Mountain
    Sat, Nov 12 , 8:05 pm - Danville @ Green Mountain
    Wed, Nov 16, 7:05 pm - Danville @ Cape Cod
    Thu, Nov 17, 7:00 pm - Danbury @ Danville (Lewiston, Maine)
    Fri, Nov 18, 7:35 pm - Danville @ New Jersey
    Sat, Nov 19 , 7:05 pm - Danville @ Brooklyn
    Wed, Nov 23, 7:05 pm - Danville @ Green Mountain
    Thu, Nov 24, 7:05 pm - Danville @ Akwesasne
    Fri, Nov 25, 7:05 pm - Danville @ 1000 Islands
    Sat, Nov 26, 8:05 pm - Danville @ Green Mountain

That is a month of living on the road and in hotels!

In case people don't know, here is the league map, notice Danville way out west, all alone.

Man, if I was a Danville player, I'd have a few choice words for whomever came up with their schedule. Nobody deserves to have that rough of a schedule.
    Last edited by Conesy; 01-08-2011 at 04:18. Reason: wrong name

You mean Danville? Or is Danbury's really bad as well?

Also noticed the FHL has merged Delaware and New Jersey into one state.

Danville is too much of an outlier... If they`re looking at a move to Lewiston, I can see it happening partway through the season. That might be a reason why they`re starting on the road early, so that if they end up making the move that the other teams don`t have to spend the extra money to drive all the way out there.
    I think it`s far better for the league to have a smaller geographic footprint, especially at this level, where budgets are small and travel can truly break a team.
    Lewiston, Maine is not a terrible idea. It`s within the geographic region of the league (certainly moreso than Danville), and the city has a history of competitive hockey (MAINEiacs), so if the team is properly promoted it could be successful.
    Likewise the other idea I had, about Brockville, Ontario, is one I still like. The town has one competitive sports team: the Junior A Braves, and it seems to me that in a city of 20,000 you could market an FHL team as a senior affiliate of the Braves, which would look even better if you were able to sign some Braves *graduates in the first couple seasons. The town is big enough and supportive enough of the Braves that I think it would support a senior team as well if it were marketed properly.
    Then again marketing still appears to be the biggest problem of the FHL, with teams moving or folding mid-season, or drawing 200 fans per game. If the league can get a decent marketing team together, there`s no reason they couldn`t be successful in the markets they`ve chosen.. But that appears to be a very big if.

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Danville is too much of an outlier... If they`re looking at a move to Lewiston, I can see it happening partway through the season. That might be a reason why they`re starting on the road early, so that if they end up making the move that the other teams don`t have to spend the extra money to drive all the way out there.
    I think it`s far better for the league to have a smaller geographic footprint, especially at this level, where budgets are small and travel can truly break a team.
    Lewiston, Maine is not a terrible idea. It`s within the geographic region of the league (certainly moreso than Danville), and the city has a history of competitive hockey (MAINEiacs), so if the team is properly promoted it could be successful.
    Likewise the other idea I had, about Brockville, Ontario, is one I still like. The town has one competitive sports team: the Junior A Braves, and it seems to me that in a city of 20,000 you could market an FHL team as a senior affiliate of the Braves, which would look even better if you were able to sign some Braves *graduates in the first couple seasons. The town is big enough and supportive enough of the Braves that I think it would support a senior team as well if it were marketed properly.
    Then again marketing still appears to be the biggest problem of the FHL, with teams moving or folding mid-season, or drawing 200 fans per game. If the league can get a decent marketing team together, there`s no reason they couldn`t be successful in the markets they`ve chosen.. But that appears to be a very big if.
    I wonder if that could work though with Danville signing a 2 year lease with the rink in Danville. The rink in Danville wouldn't give them a one year lease because of past teams folding mid-season and the rink losing out on some revenue. So the Dashers would have buy out of their lease agreement in order to move to Lewiston. So as of right now, it looks like the team will be in Danville unless they fold. I cannot see Danville making any profit this year and will probably lose thousands and thousands!

The owner of the rink in Lewiston and has stated that he prefers to have a junior hockey team in the facility, but is leaving it up to the FHL to see if they can draw some fans. Just wonder how the fans will react to a league full of old-timers and semi-pro players when last year they were watching future NHL stars.

Like you said, marketing will be the most important investment the FHL makes.

IHF Member
    It's seems that Danville doesn't stand a chance of making any profits and might be forced to fold during the season and having a team in Lewiston is not logical.

the Fans in Lewiston don't want this team and nether do the arena owners

It's seems that Danville doesn't stand a chance of making any profits and might be forced to fold during the season and having a team in Lewiston is not logical.

the Fans in Lewiston don't want this team and nether do the arena owners
    What concludes you to say that? The FHL is really based in the northeast, so geographically it works out for Lewiston

IHF Member
    the reason why I say it is because Lewiston already have had a Major Junior hockey team that was financially dissolved this year and the owner of the arena has stated that he would prefer a major junior hockey team to come and play at the rink not a FHL team.

Even if it is geographically possible for a FHL team to be placed there I highly doubt the population will care about it unless the FHL team is really successful at marketing and playing hockey.

the reason why I say it is because Lewiston already have had a Major Junior hockey team that was financially dissolved this year and the owner of the arena has stated that he would prefer a major junior hockey team to come and play at the rink not a FHL team.

Even if it is geographically possible for a FHL team to be placed there I highly doubt the population will care about it unless the FHL team is really successful at marketing and playing hockey.
    Prefer doesn't always mean that he wouldn't be against an FHL team, just that the ideal team would be a major junior team. And the MAINEiacs were dissolved when the league bought them, so it wasn't like they were totally unsalvageable.

Akwesasne has a new owner, and he is in jail

This league continues to lose credibility. The old owner, Mr. Awwad, sold the team because he lost a lot of money running the club in Akwesasne. The new President/owner was in the news recently.

From the Warriors Website:
    http://akwesasnewarriors.pointstreak...m/front-office
    Owner / Team President
    Darby "Buggo" Oakes
    In the news today:
    Hundreds of charges laid in major criminal investigation
    Raids carried out in Cornwall, Ottawa, Montreal, Akwesasne

The raids were a part of an 18-month joint forces investigation—dubbed "Project Cinderford"—targeting individuals and organized crime groups possessing and trafficking drugs, weapons and other contraband.

Beginning early Tuesday morning, police began executing search warrants in homes in the areas of Cornwall, Akwesasne Mohawk Territory, Ottawa and Montreal.
    Two AK-47 assault rifles were found in Akwesasne, police said.

The estimated street value of the drugs and contraband is $3.1 million.

Police said they have laid 300 charges, and arrested 30 individuals as a result of the seizures.
    Darby Oakes, 40, of New York has also been arrested on an outstanding search warrant for trafficking in illegal tobacco under the federal Excise Act.
    Last edited by BillyCanuck; 09-08-2011 at 16:18. Reason: not enough coffee

More news about it:
    30 ARRESTED, INCLUDING 2 AKWESASNE MEN, IN CRIME OPERATION
    Two Akwesasne men have been charged and a third is being sought in what Canadian authorities described as a cross-border drugs, weapons and contraband tobacco operation with ties to organized crime.

An 18-month undercover investigation ended this week with the arrests of 30 individuals after Canadian authorities conducted raids and seized firearms, ammunition as well as cocaine, marijuana, oxycodone tablets and contraband cigarettes.
    In all close to $4 million in goods were seized.
    Authorities charged 32 year old Bazil Lazore of Cornwall Island with trafficking in illegal tobacco, conspiracy to traffic marijuana and conspiracy to traffic cocaine.
    Officials also charged 36 year old Ryan Buckshot of Cornwall Island with conspiracy to traffic marijuana.
    An arrest warrant was issued for 40 year old Darby Oakes of Hogansburg for trafficking in illegal tobacco.

So with owners like him, how long until the league folds?

IHF Member
    wow the FHL allowed a mobster to run a team didn't the FHL do background checks on the owner to see if they are related to any illegal activities

wow the FHL allowed a mobster to run a team didn't the FHL do background checks on the owner to see if they are related to any illegal activities
    I don't think the FHL mind who owns a team as long as they can own one, you know? The league doesn't exactly exude confidence about their competency and long-term survival

Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    I don't think the FHL mind who owns a team as long as they can own one, you know? The league doesn't exactly exude confidence about their competency and long-term survival
    Exactly. We are talking about a league that granted a franchise to an owner who didn't even have an tentative ice agreement for a rink (Niagara Nationals). The same league granted a franchise to an owner (Soskin) who has a shady business background in hockey (and also put them team way out west). I highly doubt they do any extensive background checks on their owners. Their "qualifications" probably go like this:

FHL: "Do you have the money?"
    Owner: "Yes."
    FHL: "Welcome to the FHL, try to make it to the end of the season please."

Barry Soskin (Danville's owner) doesn't exactly have a clean legal history either.

IHF Member
    Geoff what has Barry Soskin been accused of by the legal system?

He was kicked out of the NAHL for signing players to pay-for-play contracts. Players' who payed were guaranteed roster spots and the more you payed, the more ice time you got. I'm not sure if he ever personally faced charges or lawsuits but I know the team he owned had to post a $200,000 bond proving they had the funds to operate the team, be put on 3 years of probation, pay a $50,000 fine to the NAHL, refund all the money they received from the pay-for-play contracts, and cover the league's legal costs for the lawsuit that was filed against them by the parents who were the whistle blowers. All of this of fold the team. Source. The team was eventually sold after its second season (09-10) and the new owners set up shop in Amarillo, TX as the Amarillo Bulls.

You don't even have to search that hard to find info about it. Just search his name in Google and it comes right up.

IHF Member
    Soskin should be nowhere near a pro or junior hockey team after what he did.

Soskin only cares about money

Soskin should be nowhere near a pro or junior hockey team after what he did.

Soskin only cares about money
    This just kinda shows how badly run the FHL is if they allow these kind of owners. Sadly, as has been mentioned, their criteria for owning a team is just having the money to own a franchise, with a "good luck in trying to make it through the season".

IHF Member
    This league won't last another season

This league won't last another season
    To be honest, I kinda was surprised they made it through last season

IHF Member
    lol yeah your right about that from the start it seems this league was doomed to fail

IHF Member
    FHL preparing to open season in Lewiston
    By Chris Roy Published: 26th October 2011

The Federal Hockey League is getting ready to open their regular season at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee on Thursday with a rematch of last year’s league final between the Akwesasne Warriors and Brooklyn Aviators, in what will certainly be a test to see if Lewiston has the appetite for that style of hockey.
    Link>>>>

IHF Member
    I am hoping that this league survives. I would really like to see a Single A pro league like the SPHL around the New York area. I just don't see Danville lasting through the sesaon.

Quote Originally Posted by mlharris View Post
    I am hoping that this league survives. I would really like to see a Single A pro league like the SPHL around the New York area. I just don't see Danville lasting through the sesaon.
    Given all the turmoil with teams folding and the shoddy ownership, it will be a surprise to see the league lasting through this season, if not earlier

IHF Member
    Yea, I hear what you are saying. I think the league will survive but not all of the teams. Looking at the travel for some of these teams, I can't see them lasting the whole season. Who knows, I could be wrong.

IHF Member
    As the Colisee plans for the future, fans reflect on the past
    By Chris Roy Published: 28th October 2011

The popcorn was popped. The beer was flowing. The sights and sounds were very similar to those heard on many nights over the course of a long cold winter at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee.
    Link>>>>

Carpenter hoping to get his career off to a flying start with Brooklyn
    By Nathan Fournier Published: 28th October 2011

Lewiston, ME – Minot native Mike Carpenter’s journey, which started in Germany took a turn a little closer to home right back at the arena he grew up playing in, the Androscoggin Bank Colisee.

The 23-year old defenseman, who spent the last four years playing with the University of Southern Maine Huskies signed a contract with the Brooklyn Aviators of the Federal Hockey League and joined them in Lewiston for the season opener against the Akwesasne Warriors as part of the FHL’s Maine Event, which Aviators won 3-2.
    Link>>>>

IHF Member
    Did anyone go to any of the FHL games this week? Or planning to go see any games? I might go watch the Aviators play next weekend since they are close.

I'd go watch the Aviators with you, though I'd rather tend goal for the Stingrays the next time you guys play against the Aviators in an exhibition game.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    I'd go watch the Aviators with you, though I'd rather tend goal for the Stingrays the next time you guys play against the Aviators in an exhibition game.
    Absolutely. Next time you will play goal for us!!

IHF Member
    Here are the standings so far for the FHL

Team GP W L OTL PTS
    New Jersey 5 4 1 0 12
    1000 Islands 3 3 0 0 9
    Brooklyn 4 2 1 1 7
    Akwesasne 3 2 1 0 6
    Danbury 3 1 2 0 3
    Cape Cod 3 1 2 0 2
    Danville 2 0 2 0 0
    Vermont 3 0 3 0 0
    Last edited by mlharris; 06-11-2011 at 02:45.

IHF Member
    Here is a right up on last week's Danville vs 1000 Iisland game.

http://finishyourcheck.com/topic/567...irst-fhl-game/

Here is a right up on last week's Danville vs 1000 Iisland game.

http://finishyourcheck.com/topic/567...irst-fhl-game/
    Sounds like there's a discrepancy between the caliber of players on teams in the league. Why does this not surprise me?

IHF Member
    Last nights FHL scores.
    Akwasasne 11 - Danville Dashers 7
    Cape Cod 5 - NY Aviators 4 OT
    Danville Whalers 4 - NJ Outlaws 2
    1000 Islands 4 - Vermont 0

IHF Member
    Here are last night's FHL scores

1000 Islands 4 - Danville Dashers 2
    Vermont Wild 6 -Aviators 5

IHF Member
    Here are the scores from Saturday's games and the standings
    Vermont 11 - Danville 8
    NJO 7 - CCB 5
    AKW 6 - 1000 Islands 5
    Danbury Whalers 3 - Aviators 2

1000 Islands 7 6 1
    Akwesasne 8 6 2
    New Jersey 8 6 2
    Brooklyn 8 3 2
    Danbury 6 3 3
    Cape Cod 6 2 4
    Danville 0 0 8

IHF Member
    Here are the scores from last night's FHL games

1000 Island 3 - Vermont Wild 2
    CCB 6 - Danville Dashers 1
    Danville Whalers 3 - Aviators 1

Danville's not doing too hot. I take it it's because of their travel schedule?

IHF Member
    They are 0 -4 at home. The first two losses were at home. Overall, looking at the scores they are gassing out in the third period. Even at home. Not sure what the problem is there. On the road I can understand, but not at home.

They are 0 -4 at home. The first two losses were at home. Overall, looking at the scores they are gassing out in the third period. Even at home. Not sure what the problem is there. On the road I can understand, but not at home.
    Okay then, I for some reason thought they were playing on the road; that might have been triggered by something I think I saw about this last year. Anyways, if they collapse in the third period, something seriously needs to be done, weary or not. Do you think it's because their players aren't fit and/or their mentality of closing out games isn't there?

IHF Member
    I do no think they are out of shape. They are not as fit as the other teams. They were tied 4-4 with Awkasasne in the second period in one of last weeks games. Then they ended up losing 8-4. I think overall they are a decent team team. The first line is pretty good averaging a point or two per game. I just think they lack the depth. I do not know too much about the goaltending situation.

IHF Member
    Danville Dashers have a new coach. Joe Pace, Sr. But still lost last night 11-3 to the Danbury Whalers in Maine. Dropping them to 0-10 on the season.

IHF Member
    Here aare the scores from last night's FHL games.

1000 Island 5 - Akwasasne 3
    Aviators 5 - Cape Cod 3
    New Jersey Outlaws 5 - Danville Dashers 1
    Danbury Whalers 6 - Vermont Wild 1

...I really gotta get to a Privateers game. Been wanting to for a while.

IHF Member
    Here are the standings after last weeks games

1000 Islands 9 1
    New Jersey 8 2
    Danbury 7 3
    Akwesasne 6 4
    Brooklyn 5 3 3
    Vermont 3 6 1
    Cape Cod 3 6 0
    Danville 0 12 0

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Okay then, I for some reason thought they were playing on the road; that might have been triggered by something I think I saw about this last year. Anyways, if they collapse in the third period, something seriously needs to be done, weary or not. Do you think it's because their players aren't fit and/or their mentality of closing out games isn't there?
    After last weeks games I am going to have to retract my statement. Yes, I think they aren't fit and mentally they cannot close out games. I think both Vermont and Danville need to close up shop.

I have a fealing one or both teams will be done by Christmas.
    Last edited by mlharris; 22-11-2011 at 21:25.

IHF Member
    You feeling will be correct.... *wink-wink*

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information