Thread: Mangleurd Stars´ Youth Development

Mangleurd Stars´ Youth Development

I was wondering if someone could give me any info on Manglerud´s youth development and what it is that makes them so good at it, are they basically the Norwegian equiualent od Denmark´s Rodovre?

Just looking at this list of players, it would be pretty impressive even for teams from "better" hockey nations than Norway:

D Mats Trygg Hamburg/DEL

F Mads Hansen Brynäs/SEL

F Martin Roymark Timra/SEL
    F Mathis Olimb Rockford/AHL

F Mats Froshaug drafted in 08 by Canucks

F Ken Andre Olimb Leksand/SEL-2
    D Stefab Espeland Sundsvall/SEL-2

G Lars Volden Blues U20/FIN
    F Sondre Olden MODO U20/SWE drafted by Toronto in 10 3th round
    F Frederik Lovdahl HV71 U20/SWE

F Jonatan Wik AIK J18/SWE
    F Steffen Kent Soberg U18 WC performance
    F Jonas Knutsen Timra J18/U20/SWE

F Markus Soberg MODO J18
    F Sander Lunde Boroczky ST.Joseph´s Prep/USHS

F Mathias Emilio Pettersen youtube sensation

And I´m sure there are even more I´ve missed. So, basically, what I´m interested in is what is done differently by Manglerud compared to other Norwegian clubs, how does Manglerud compare to the Swedish or Finnish youth programmes and any names that I´ve missed ony my list whether it is already senior players or the kids that they have comming up. Thanks.

IHF Member
    Manglerud Star has created a great enviroment trough many years. One of the things that is special about Manglerud Star is that most of the guys that you have listed. The Trygg brothers (you forgot Marius), the Olimb brothers and Røymark for instance all have fathers that has played for Manglerud Stars senior team and Team Norway in the past.
    Most of the other players on that list also has dads who have played for Manglerud junior or senior teams before. Theese guys come back and get into coaching and other jobs around the teams. This imo creates a good enviroment and it creates consistency. I would not be surprised to see another couple of Trygg, Røymark, Olimb or Hansen kids on a Manglerud Youth team coached by their father in the future.

They also emphasize a lot on power-skating and skating tecknique with the kids from the get-go. For instance now they run power-skating practices on saturday evening for kids born 1993-2000. Espen Sæther (former senior team player) and Fleming Pettersen (dad to Mathias Emilio and also a former player) are running these practices on their own initative.

One of the most important factors to Manglerud Stars youth success is that this enviroment also atracts other ambitious players from other clubs in and around Oslo. They always have some of the top-teams in Norwegian youth hockey. Winning creates a winning enviroment.

Another important thing is that its a small club without any big financial muscles so they depend on their young kids to play on their senior team in the Elite League. A lot of young kids make their senior debut on M/S already as a first year junior player.

When the kids get to junior-age the best hockeyplayers in Norway apply to hockey-academies. Like the ones in Sweden and probably Finland(?). Theese schools are set up for top-athletes in many different sports as cross-country, soccer, handball and hockey. Here they practice with the school in the morning and practice and play with their club-teams in the evening. In Oslo they have the Wang system wich has players from the different Oslo clubs, Lørenskog, Furuset, Manglerud and Vålerenga. The Olimb brothers, Mathias Trygg, Martin Røymark, Aleksander Bonsaksen, Brede Czisar are some of the National team players that have been students at this school in the past. They also have the Wang school in Stavanger, Tønsberg and Fredrikstad now.

In Asker and Lillehammer they have the NTG system wich is funded by Olympiatoppen (Norwegian olympian federation). Skrøder, Zuccarello, Tollefsen and Lars Erik Spets are some of the guys that went to this school. Basically all of the guys under 30 that are playing for the Nowegian National team has gone trough some kind of hockey academy system. The development in Norwegian hockey is actually preety good, the problem is the recruiting.

IHF Member
    Two goalies from Manglerud Star was drafted in this years NHL draft. Now thats impressive. Too bad that they won`t get any money for either one of them. The could really used that as the club is basically run on goodwill and volunteer work.

This small club from Oslo now has 4 players drafted in the last 4 NHL drafts.

IHF Member
    3 Manglerud boys drafted in this years import draft aswell. Sondre Olden, Steffen Søberg and Jonas Knutsen.

For a club with such a fine development system, and great winning success at youth levels, they get pounded in the elite league......is this solely because they use a team stocked almost entirely with juniors? Is the elite league roster the same, or similar, to the team playing in the top junior league? How does the constantly losing record in the elite league affect the kids' morale?

IHF Member
    I have not been in here for a good while so I am sorry for my late response, but better late than never.

Manglerud Stars senior team is made up by a mix of homegrown talent, players that are not good enough for the other Oslo clubs and cheap and young foreign imports. This year 11 out of the 19 players in their senior team roster are homegrown, in addition to this they also have a couple of extra junior guys dressed for home games.

The last couple of years they have been fairly competitive despite having the smallest budget in the league by a wide margin. Two seasons ago they even made the playoffs, they were also only one late Rosenborg goal away from making it last year. Manglerud Star have been very good at bringing in young American guys straight from NCAA. Guys like Justin Bostrom, Kyle Sibley, Kevin DeVergilio and Travis Vermeulen have all been very good in Norway. This year they have Kory Falite and Jason Lawrence and judging by the first weeks of the season it looks like Manglerud have done it again. These guys are a lot cheaper than older guys with several years of AHL and ECHL experience, and in many cases they are hungrier and wants to spend a year in a small club to make a name for themselves. This is thanks to coach Dave Livingstone and his network. Livingstone accepted a position as head coach for Lørenskog earlier today.

I don`t think it affects the young guys in a negative way, I think most of these guys look at it as an opportunity to play big minutes in the top league. And its not like they are miles behind and losing with 10+ goals every time like they used to in the late 90`s, early 2000`s.

Thread Information