View Poll Results: Predict the 4 individual results of the Day 6 games

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • DEN vs LAT - Denmark will win

    8 25.81%
  • DEN vs LAT - Latvia will win

    23 74.19%
  • AUT vs NOR - Austria will win

    3 9.68%
  • AUT vs NOR - Norway will win

    27 87.10%
  • CZE vs FIN - Czech Republic will win

    15 48.39%
  • CZE vs FIN - Finland will win

    15 48.39%
  • SWE vs USA - Sweden will win

    21 67.74%
  • SWE vs USA - USA will win

    9 29.03%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: Day 6, Wednesday May 4th (DEN vs LAT, AUT vs NOR, FIN vs CZE, SWE vs USA)

  1. #1
    IHF Staff Jazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Southern Canada
    Posts
    6,449

    Mens IHWC Day 6, Wednesday May 4th (DEN vs LAT, AUT vs NOR, FIN vs CZE, SWE vs USA)

    Vote for each of the 4 results above

    04.05.2011, 16:15, Denmark - Latvia (Bratislava)
    04.05.2011, 16:15, Austria - Norway (Košice)
    04.05.2011, 20:15, Finland - Czech Republic (Bratislava)
    04.05.2011, 20:15, Sweden - USA (Košice)

    Use this thread for the games of Day 6

    Post your predictions, comments, post-game reactions etc.....

  2. #2
    IHF Prospect Popiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Herlev, Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    34

    Frustration

    04.05.2011, 16:15, Denmark - Latvia (Bratislava)

    Hi Guys,

    Have been trolling these forums since 2005, and thought I would finally become a member:)

    Am I the only one who is VERY dissapointed with what Denmark has shown so far?
    I mean, I know that we have a team that is ALOT weaker than last year.
    But I did not think they would suck so bad????

    We have done better before with worse teams than this!!!
    At the same time, teams with the same player material as we have, are playing well.
    (Norway, Slovenia, Austria, France (Except for the Canada loss) Belarus, Latvia, and to some extend Germany).

    Im really dissapointed, and I do NOT see us beating Latvia. I think they will win comfortably.
    And I see us strugling in relegation, to teams that have played better than us.

    Man, this WC is depressing...
    Last edited by Popiel; 03-05-2011 at 15:42. Reason: Fine tuning

  3. #3
    IHF Member Bennison's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hagestad, Sweden
    Posts
    3,183
    Welcome and good to have you here. Denmark has certainly played below par so far this tournament, but that can change. I expect Denmark, Austria, Slovenia and Belarus to play in the relegation round, and if Denmark gets their team in working order they should be able to dismiss Austria and Slovenia and play equal to Belarus.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

  4. #4
    IHF Member welmu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    -
    Posts
    621
    they could pull a miracle against Latvia, two almost evenly matched teams, altough latvians has more skill in the offense. I think though that denmark have better goalie and better system. And i'm sure thaht danish players are dissapointed also and are trying twice as hard in this game. Could be a tight game.

  5. #5
    IHF Staff Marc Brunengraber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Islip, New York
    Posts
    9,944
    Welcome, Popiel. I echo Bennison's post.

  6. #6
    IHF Prospect Popiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Herlev, Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    Welcome and good to have you here. Denmark has certainly played below par so far this tournament, but that can change. I expect Denmark, Austria, Slovenia and Belarus to play in the relegation round, and if Denmark gets their team in working order they should be able to dismiss Austria and Slovenia and play equal to Belarus.
    Hi Bennison, Marc & welmu

    And thanks :)
    I reeeally hope you are right. I must admit I have my doubts and I am not as optimistic as you.
    What we have seen so far, has been very frustrating imo.

    But, we can make it:)
    ”Hockey's the only place where a guy can go nowadays and watch two white guys fight.”

  7. #7
    IHF Member rusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rezekne
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by Popiel View Post
    0
    At the same time, teams with the same player material as we have, are playing well.
    (Norway, Slovenia, Austria, France (Except for the Canada loss) Belarus, Latvia, and to some extend Germany).
    I'd say Latvia's player material is better than all the mentioned, except Belarus and Germany ;)

  8. #8
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Gentofte, Denmark
    Posts
    4,588
    Having now watched both the Den-Finland and the Den-Czech Republic game twice I don’t understand all the fuss about Denmark being a disappointment and its players being a complete joke. We played a reasonable first period against Finland but end up losing 5-1 after a less impressive second period. But look at the roster, 13 of 21 players that suited up for that game are from the Danish Elite League and several of them haven’t played at this level before. Besides back in 09 we also lost 5-1 to Finland.

    For the first 30,35 minutes against the Czech Republic, Denmark played much better, but against a team superior in every aspect of the game, you can't make a lot of mistakes and allowing 4 goals in 3 minutes didn’t exactly make things easier. Back in 09 we also played against the Czech Republic and lost 5-0, in 08 we lost 5-2 so it’s not like there’s anything unusual with this year’s results. And wherever you buy into the current roster or not, we can’t really use last years’ results as a bench mark, since it was a completely different team. Plus looking at the respective rosters, there’s no way that Denmark should be able to compete with Czech Republic or Finland over 60 minutes.

    Denmark might end up in the relegation round it seems very likely at this point and relegation to the B pool could be the end result. It obviously would be less ideal, but with all our top players playing in the NHL/NA, it simply was a matter of time before we got ourselves into this mess.

  9. #9
    IHF Member rusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rezekne
    Posts
    875
    Denmark makes a lot of mistakes and, if they don't do something about that, they'll cost them much... I'd say that you should fear our counter attacks as that's where our bread and butter is in KHL and guys know (as you saw against the Czechs) how to execute a classic counter attack... a long pass from deep into our zone to the blue line and we're already in front of the net. There are young players on this roster of Latvia who can outskate almost everyone (they have to be able, in order to play successfully in the KHL). Even if we'll mostly play in Danish zone (I expect) we'll still counter at every opportunity.

  10. #10
    IHF Staff Starkovs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Jūrmala, Latvia
    Posts
    21,272
    Latvia over Denmark, I havent watched much of Denmark matches but I believe our skill, speed and counter-attacks will be just too much for the Danish. Not expecting us to blow away Denmark but most certainly am not expecting it to be even matched and a comfortable margin of victory.

    I go Austrians over Norwegians, despite the level of play the Norwegians have put up in their two matches, I just feel like Norway has used up too much energy trying to surprise the Americans. If Austria can hold on for about a period and half, they should be able to take it to Norway in later half of match. Then again, who knows, perhaps Norwegians will be ready to go and jump all over Austria, should be interesting match.

  11. #11
    IHF Member itry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Seoul
    Posts
    1,144
    I've been watching Denmark play these games and there are certain things that I like. First of all it seemed for Czechs that the first long pass goes through quite well and Denmark forwards don't get back in their own end on time. This might be crucial against Latvia as that is exactly how we always play. Other thing is they don't play that close to the guy with a puck thus giving the opponent a bit more time and space. Latvia always has problems with teams that play close so that might be a good thing. Also Denmark seemed to be a bit slower so that is a good thing for us. I don't mean to bash that team, these are just the observations I've made. Also it seemed that Latvia won a bit more faceoffs than Denmark, but I'm not sure about this one cuz I haven't looked at the stats. I don't expect our players to be in the Danish zone all the time, and it's probably not gonna be a one sided game, but I do expect us to show some skill and overcome the opposing team with a safe margin. But if they play strictly from defense or are able to lock down the middle of the ice, we might see some trouble.
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

  12. #12
    IHF Prospect Popiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Herlev, Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by rusher View Post
    I'd say Latvia's player material is better than all the mentioned, except Belarus and Germany ;)
    I will to some extent agree with you!
    If we only take the current WC rosters in to account then YES Lat, Bel, and Ger have better teams than the forementioned teams.

    But If we take all players "available" for the teams I would say that Denmark, Latvia and Germany are on par!! With Belarus just behind.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marras View Post
    Having now watched both the Den-Finland and the Den-Czech Republic game twice I don’t understand all the fuss about Denmark being a disappointment and its players being a complete joke. We played a reasonable first period against Finland but end up losing 5-1 after a less impressive second period. But look at the roster, 13 of 21 players that suited up for that game are from the Danish Elite League and several of them haven’t played at this level before. Besides back in 09 we also lost 5-1 to Finland.

    For the first 30,35 minutes against the Czech Republic, Denmark played much better, but against a team superior in every aspect of the game, you can't make a lot of mistakes and allowing 4 goals in 3 minutes didn’t exactly make things easier. Back in 09 we also played against the Czech Republic and lost 5-0, in 08 we lost 5-2 so it’s not like there’s anything unusual with this year’s results. And wherever you buy into the current roster or not, we can’t really use last years’ results as a bench mark, since it was a completely different team. Plus looking at the respective rosters, there’s no way that Denmark should be able to compete with Czech Republic or Finland over 60 minutes.

    Denmark might end up in the relegation round it seems very likely at this point and relegation to the B pool could be the end result. It obviously would be less ideal, but with all our top players playing in the NHL/NA, it simply was a matter of time before we got ourselves into this mess.
    Well, I know that we cannot use last years performance as a benchmark, and I do not believe that is what im doing.
    I know that FIN and CZE are icing much much much better teams than we are.
    And I do not mind us loosing!! At all! it is the way we are loosing that is frustrating me.
    Especially when watching how hard teams like Norway and Slovenia are fighting.

    Team Denmark look as if they are complacent, and therefore not trying their best!
    Personally I just wanna see a bit more grit and courage and puck possession!

    If this style of play continues, we WILL be relegated, which would be a catastrophic event imo.

    I have seen worse danish teams play better and with more heart!! this is what frustrates me. I am in no way saying, that we should be able to beat teams like CZE and FIN.

    Ofcourse this is just my opinion, and you have the right to yours:)

    Quote Originally Posted by DHKStarkovs View Post
    Latvia over Denmark, I havent watched much of Denmark matches but I believe our skill, speed and counter-attacks will be just too much for the Danish. Not expecting us to blow away Denmark but most certainly am not expecting it to be even matched and a comfortable margin of victory.
    Sadly, I think you are right my friend!

    Quote Originally Posted by itry View Post
    I've been watching Denmark play these games and there are certain things that I like. First of all it seemed for Czechs that the first long pass goes through quite well and Denmark forwards don't get back in their own end on time. This might be crucial against Latvia as that is exactly how we always play. Other thing is they don't play that close to the guy with a puck thus giving the opponent a bit more time and space. Latvia always has problems with teams that play close so that might be a good thing. Also Denmark seemed to be a bit slower so that is a good thing for us. I don't mean to bash that team, these are just the observations I've made. Also it seemed that Latvia won a bit more faceoffs than Denmark, but I'm not sure about this one cuz I haven't looked at the stats. I don't expect our players to be in the Danish zone all the time, and it's probably not gonna be a one sided game, but I do expect us to show some skill and overcome the opposing team with a safe margin. But if they play strictly from defense or are able to lock down the middle of the ice, we might see some trouble.
    I share these thoughts and observations, and im danish! So you are not totally out there :)
    I see your goalie as your biggest weakness!

    And if he has a bad day, and our goalie a good one, it could maybe fall out to the danish side.
    Last edited by Popiel; 04-05-2011 at 11:31.
    ”Hockey's the only place where a guy can go nowadays and watch two white guys fight.”

  13. #13
    IHF Member Haxo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Klagenfurt
    Posts
    96
    I think I´ll spend the time to 4pm on buying beer...

  14. #14
    IHF Member dark+knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hrvatska
    Posts
    75
    I hope that Austria can finally play a good game and win some points.If Weinhandl/Penker will be good and if defense will play strong in front of him,they have a chance.

  15. #15
    IHF Member welmu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    -
    Posts
    621
    i think its very hard to predict the correct winners today. Very very evenly matched games today. Honestly can't say nothing, i have no clear favorites for today. Austria and Denmark has still very good chances to avoid relegation. Their biggest problem is goalscoring, and that could be a decisive factor.

  16. #16
    IHF Member rusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rezekne
    Posts
    875
    F************************************************* ********************************ck

  17. #17
    IHF Member rusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rezekne
    Posts
    875
    So... I didn't see the game... What did we do wrong? Or we have nothing to do with that and Denmark just played better?
    It's unfortunate but I thought I'll feel worse about that. I hope at least this (or possible relegation to Division 1) will make hockey people of our country think about how our hockey looks like without Dinamo Riga... or how it doesn't look like anything. I guess we were becoming a bit arrogant... and hoping that Dinamo will solve all our problems. Maybe this loss is just a loss and doesn't say anything but I sure hope something comes out of it.

  18. #18
    IHF Staff Starkovs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Jūrmala, Latvia
    Posts
    21,272
    Now that I have had time to cool down and a few drinks to ease the pain, what in the world is wrong with this unit. I dont understand how you can go from playing so strong against the Czechs and then again against the Finnish and turn out that type of performance. I seriously question Znaroks ability to lead a team who is now the favourite because there is no way we should of started the way we did, we had better starts against stronger opponents, I just dont get it. The second period was bettter but Im starting to get really annoyed with the way certain IIHF refs call the match, the slashing call against Ņiživijs that lead to the Danes second goal, come on, because the Danish player is holding the stick with one hand, anybody can easily knock the stick out of his hands the way he was holding it. Im tired of that type of slashing call being called. How was the kneeing at the end of the 3rd not called, because Latvia just came off a powerplay and it was close to going into the third, the refs today couldnt make up their damn mind and its annoying. If your going to call a tight match, call it, if your going to let things slide, let them play. Not to sound one sided, but the Nielsen slash that lead to the second Latvian goal was terrible as well.

    Next, whoever is in charge of our powerplay needs to be fired, Im so tired of watching our powerplay be the most passive thing in the world, just shoot the f**king puck. I just went from watching our U-18 squad firing the puck from everywhere and what happened, they ended up scoring powerplay goals, to this fancy, make it look like the former Soviets is really getting on my last nerves.

    Not going to take anything away from the Danes and Christensen though, they played well and in the end deserved the victory. Andersen made so many key saves, especially in the third when we were dominating the play. Wish you guys all the best of luck in Qualification round, as for us, somebody please make fake newspapers so our players believe they are the underdog going forward because they sure dont seem to play anywhere near where they did against Czechs and Finns as favourites.

  19. #19
    IHF Member itry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Seoul
    Posts
    1,144
    Denmark sure did their homework and did everything that I feared for. They locked down the middle of the ice and didn't let long passes through. Also they started playing close to the players which is always a good thing to do if you play Latvian squad. At the end of the day, I will not say that Denmark was the better team. Andersen was just the better goalie. He made some really crucial saves especially there at the end. And Pujacs... come on! Stop making those crappy diagonal passes! And seriously... just shoot the god damn puck from the f***ing blue line! It has worked before, and in a game where you can't get close to the net, that is probably the best option. Good thing that at least Cibuļskis does that.

    Anyways, kudos to Denmark. Congratulations and I wish you the best of luck in the next round.
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

  20. #20
    IHF Member rusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rezekne
    Posts
    875
    So... we were too passive again, entering the game. Anyway, thanks for the first two games and thanks in advance either for next 3 great games or WC in Riga and ability to see team Australia on the ice next year

  21. #21
    IHF Member dark+knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hrvatska
    Posts
    75
    Austria was bad,Denemark has beaten Latvia,Sweden is playing around with USA,great game between FIN-CZE,another great day in Slovakia.

  22. #22
    IHF Staff Marc Brunengraber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Islip, New York
    Posts
    9,944
    I didn't get to see the Sweden-USA game, but it was 1-1 after the first period, the US outshot them 32-30 for the game, and yet lost 6-2....seemingly a bad game from Montoya in the second and third periods? Anybody care to enlighten me of they happened to see it?

  23. #23
    IHF Member amoracing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    141
    You can find a good report over here.

  24. #24
    IHF Staff Marc Brunengraber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Islip, New York
    Posts
    9,944
    Thanks......so it seems Montoya was awful.

    Hopefully he and the team bounce back and have a big win against Canada in the QF's.

  25. #25
    IHF Member Bennison's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hagestad, Sweden
    Posts
    3,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Thanks......so it seems Montoya was awful.

    Hopefully he and the team bounce back and have a big win against Canada in the QF's.
    Montoya did look a bit awkward at times, and let a couple of the goals in between his legs. But USA seemed to not spend too much effort. Once it was 4-1, they seemed to be content to let the game go.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

  26. #26
    IHF Staff
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    5,144
    Few words on the AUT-NOR game. I have never seen such an embarrassing performance of an AUT NT before. This was miles away from being competitive in division I. Every single player underperformed and there was a complete lack of heart, tactical disciplin and spirit.
    The last three times on IHWC we had all sorts of troubles eventually being relegated in what was always a tight affair. This time we are the by far weakest team and look completely misplaced. Not that it is a world surprise that we lost that 3 games but how we lost them is absolutely shameful. Only against Sweden in the game where expectations were the lowest the team had at least one ok period, games against USA and NOR were byond good and evil. There is something seriously wrong in this team and perhaps they should not have argued about physio but about psycho therapists beforehand. The prospect for the relegation round with a team in this shape is clear cut: not a chance to prevail, not even close.

  27. #27
    IHF Staff Marc Brunengraber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Islip, New York
    Posts
    9,944
    I'm sorry to agree with you, but........I do. All EBEL players, basically - and they should be performing much better than they have so far.

  28. #28
    IHF Member Nameless one's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Brno, Czech Republic
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by DHKStarkovs View Post
    Now that I have had time to cool down and a few drinks to ease the pain, what in the world is wrong with this unit. I dont understand how you can go from playing so strong against the Czechs and then again against the Finnish and turn out that type of performance.
    Well... Welcome among the top teams of the world. Every team can struggle with paper underdog. Look around. France beating Belarus? Thats ridiculous!
    Have you tried turning it off and on again?
    Better now?

  29. #29
    IHF Prospect Popiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Herlev, Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless one View Post
    Well... Welcome among the top teams of the world. Every team can struggle with paper underdog. Look around. France beating Belarus? Thats ridiculous!
    Im actually a bit irritated by the fact, that so many latvian fans forget to give credit where credit is due!!!

    I for one do not see Latvia as a super power!
    I still think Denmark deserved the win, and I also think the ref made bad calls, but BOTH ways and not just the Latvian situations mentioned earlier.

    Also I still find Denmark on par or better than Latvia with a full roster..

    This is ofcourse just my opinion, so don't flame me :)
    ”Hockey's the only place where a guy can go nowadays and watch two white guys fight.”

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •