2 7.41%
  • GER vs CZE, Czech Republic will win

24 88.89%
  • CAN vs SWE, Canada will win

16 59.26%
  • CAN vs SWE, Sweden will win

10 37.04%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Day 11-May 9 (SVK vs DEN, FRA vs NOR, RUS vs FIN, SUI vs USA, GER vs CZE, CAN vs SWE)

Mens IHWC Day 11-May 9 (SVK vs DEN, FRA vs NOR, RUS vs FIN, SUI vs USA, GER vs CZE, CAN vs SWE)

Vote for each of the 6 results above

09.05.2011, 12:15, Slovakia - Denmark (Bratislava)
    09.05.2011, 12:15, France - Norway (Košice)
    09.05.2011, 16:15, Russia - Finland (Bratislava)
    09.05.2011, 16:15, Switzerland - USA (Košice)
    09.05.2011, 20:15, Germany - Czech Republic (Bratislava)
    09.05.2011, 20:15, Canada - Sweden (Košice)

Use this thread for the games of Day 11

Post your predictions, comments, post-game reactions etc.....

Slovakia-they will want at least one victory. By 3 goals at least.
    Norway-what is France doing in top group anyway?
    Finland-still my favorite for the tourney
    USA-this one can get both ways but my prediction is still USA
    Czech Republic-as I said once... German miracle is over
    Sweden-Canada hasn't convinced me yet
    Have you tried turning it off and on again?
    Better now?

Denmark, Norway, Russia, Switzerland, Czech republic and Sweden...

09.05.2011, 12:15, Slovakia - Denmark (Bratislava) - Hoping for a Denmark Victory, but a close one.

09.05.2011, 12:15, France - Norway (Košice) - Norway, to strong for the french, who im sorry to say do not belong here. Id rather had seen Slovenia up here.

09.05.2011, 16:15, Russia - Finland (Bratislava) - Finland, no doubt! Russians have looked very arrogant and weak.

09.05.2011, 16:15, Switzerland - USA (Košice) - Hmm this one was the hardest IMO. I have no Idea about this one. An overtime win to USA maybe.

09.05.2011, 20:15, Germany - Czech Republic (Bratislava) - Go Czechs

09.05.2011, 20:15, Canada - Sweden (Košice) - Canada will take this one, But im still hoping for Sweden.
    ”Hockey's the only place where a guy can go nowadays and watch two white guys fight.”

IHF Prospect
    Slovakia
    Switzerland
    Russia (I actualy am preety sure of this and most likely will be with comfortable score)
    Norway

IHF Member
    Slovakia v. Denmark - Hope they use their last chance to impress the home crowd.

Russia v. Finland - Finland is waaaaay better than Russia this year.

Norway v. France - Should be easy fo them.

Switzerland v. USA - I`m betting on the US boys, the Swiss failed to impress me this year.

Canada v. Sweden - That`s the closest one imho. I`ll gamble and put my money on Canada.

Germany v. Czech Republic - Should be a clear victory for the Czechs. However, they are already set as the group winners and its their second game within 2 days, same situation as Germany had in the close games vs SLO and DEN. Germany could hope for the 2nd place spot and an "easier" QF opponent. Maybe Germany can fight for another upset here.

NOR vs FRA, RUS vs FIN and CAN vs SWE will be mine tomorrow's triple header.

How to describe today? Certainly not with words, the pictures will tell the story better:

Demitra's always been a classy player.

I'm glad he was able to experience the love, support & appreciation from his countrymen today.

I´d have some doubts about that classy and always part together, especially considering some things he might have done this year, but there´s no need to get into that anymore, for all the great games he played wearing the jersey with the double cross on the chest he deserved the thank you he got today.

A lot has been said about Hanlon and whether he should go or not, but just reading this one sentence: "We played good at the championship, but we didn´t do well" he needs to go, because if he really believes that he has absolutely no idea about hockey.....

The USA has played surprisingly well at this tournament, heading into today's game against the Swiss with a 3-1-1 record, and although they lost badly to Sweden, they outshot the Swedes and were victimized by a rare bad day from Montoya (which opened the door for Conklin, who has played since).

So I finally pick them to win a game, and now they trail Switzerland 3-1 in the second period.

This has been one crazy tournament this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    The USA has played surprisingly well at this tournament,
    I don't agree... it's still a very weak roster and they outshoot teams just because they shoot brainlessly at every opportunity and any team of good quality and brains (like Sweden) can use that to their advantage and make them pay. And, I guess, Swiss today does the same thing.

But I agree that they've played better than I thought they would.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rusher View Post
    I don't agree... it's still a very weak roster and they outshoot teams just because they shoot brainlessly at every opportunity and any team of good quality and brains (like Sweden) can use that to their advantage and make them pay. And, I guess, Swiss today does the same thing.

But I agree that they've played better than I thought they would.
    This American team is a long way from the Vancouver Olympic team but at least it made the QF's.
    Russia just lost 3-2 in a SO to Finland after leading 2-0...a 4th place finish means Sweden or Canada in the QF.

Ty Conklin couldn't replicate his performance against Canada and the US didn't pick up their game until it was too late, hence the loss
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Well, ultimately the game that matters is against the Czechs......get that one win and we'll be playing for a medal!

Go USA!

Demitra's always been a classy player.

I'm glad he was able to experience the love, support & appreciation from his countrymen today.
    yep, I have always liked Demitra and been his fan, very very classy guy. Very sad pictures, I almost shed a tear too...

i think i watch Ger-Cze this time, lets hope some interesting action, and go germany. heh

IHF Member
    Well, ultimately the game that matters is against the Czechs......get that one win and we'll be playing for a medal!

Go USA!
    2004 deja vu....hope we learned the lesson and will win this time

The sold out Steel Arena is liking what they´re seeing in Sweden_Canada game as the Slovak TV narrator put it.....as they should, they´re seeing the future of world hockey!:D

IHF Member
    Germany and the own goals... It`s a neverending story in this WC. But i guess the Czechs deserve the lead, i hope Germany will be able to put up a fight soon.

germany has almost scored more to their own net :D I think Germany is losing it, they look tired. This should be a 3rd loss in a row now... not looking good right now.

I agree that Germany is tired, and they'll fall easily to the Swedes in the QF's, I think.

Pejcha - welcome to the forums!

Sweden certainly did not look too eager to win in the 3rd period. They were pretty happy with the result, and Swedish TV-commentators speculated that the late penalties were a result of smart coaching so that we did not look too bad not fighting for the equaliser.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

HockeyExpressen reports that Canadian head coach Ken Hitchcock left the press conference after the game after facing questions from a Swedish reporter regarding Rick Nash's hit on Mikael Backlund in center ice.

After being pressed on the subject the response was "No more questions from this gentleman" and then they left the press conference.

The hit itself was border line, Backlund was not paying attention, but Nash looked like he jumped into the hit. Too me it certainly warrants no more than the minor penalty that was awarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    Sweden certainly did not look too eager to win in the 3rd period. They were pretty happy with the result, and Swedish TV-commentators speculated that the late penalties were a result of smart coaching so that we did not look too bad not fighting for the equaliser.
    Well, they did have the "home" crowd on their side, I thought it was pretty funny that around midway through the game when the game was tied they went: "Ka-na-da!, Švé-di!, Ka-na-da!, Švé-di!..." (Canada!, Swedes!, Canada!, Swedes!) and at the end of the game it was all Švé-di! Švé-di! Švé-di! and they even went as far as whistling during Canada´s PP. think you might be up to something with those penalties, wasn´t Petrasek who took the last one even awarded player of the game?

Pavol Demitra, Slovakia, Loko Yaroslavl.. whatta great heart.

IHF Member
    Pejcha - welcome to the forums!
    Thanks

HockeyExpressen reports that Canadian head coach Ken Hitchcock left the press conference after the game after facing questions from a Swedish reporter regarding Rick Nash's hit on Mikael Backlund in center ice.

After being pressed on the subject the response was "No more questions from this gentleman" and then they left the press conference.

The hit itself was border line, Backlund was not paying attention, but Nash looked like he jumped into the hit. Too me it certainly warrants no more than the minor penalty that was awarded.
    Backlund had his HEADturned (edited this), but the hit was, from the replay angle I saw, shoulder-on-shoulder. Nash is bigger though and was braced for the hit, so when Backlund "folded" under the hit, Nash just sort of flew over top of him.
    Not a pretty hit, maybe a little late, but Nash's feet were not moving, and the primary point of contact was the shoulder.
    I can't even say it was a blindside hit because if Backlund had been looking forward instead of admiring his nice pass he would have seen Nash coming. It was a late hit that Nash could have avoided though, so a minor penalty on the play is fine with me, but not more than that.

...also please note that while i AM Canadian, I'm trying to be as objective as possible in my views here.
    Last edited by Steigs; 11-05-2011 at 02:58. Reason: one small edit in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Backlund had his back turned, but the hit was, from the replay angle I saw, shoulder-on-shoulder.
    I completely agree, there was clearly no elbowing involved and he did not hit the head/neck area.

Still the Swedish coach was quoted after the game as saying the he wanted the hit looked at by the review board.

IHF Member
    http://tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/story/?id=365251

Nash is not getting another form of punishment, and I agree.

IHF Member

What I read is that the Swedish reporter, Leif Boork, wanted to argue about the hit with Hitchcock (contradicting the answers), instead of ask questions about it. If the quoted exchange that I read was accurate, it certainly does not seem like professional journalism. Compared to a lot of NHL coaches (especially Laviolette or Tortorella), Hitchcock is as gregarious, communicative and forthcoming as they come. It tells you something when he shrugs and walks away.

Quote Originally Posted by Hangblague View Post
    What I read is that the Swedish reporter, Leif Boork, wanted to argue about the hit with Hitchcock (contradicting the answers), instead of ask questions about it.
    In the transcript that I read he did indeed contradict Hitchcock's answers at first and then continued to ask if it was worthy of a Canadian team captain to make hits like that. When he persisted Hitchcock left.

But he is a columnist (and former Tre Kronor head coach) who likes to have opinions and he was indeed trying to make a statement.

IHF Member
    In the transcript that I read he did indeed contradict Hitchcock's answers at first and then continued to ask if it was worthy of a Canadian team captain to make hits like that. When he persisted Hitchcock left.

But he is a columnist (and former Tre Kronor head coach) who likes to have opinions and he was indeed trying to make a statement.
    From the Edmonton Journal (perhaps it comes across differently in translation):

Swedish newspaper columnist Leif Boork, a former high-level coach in his country and in Norway, began the testy exchange when he said Nash displayed a "bad attitude" on the play and the argument ensued. The whole spat took less than one minute.

"It was a good hit," Hitchcock said.

"It was a bad hit," said Boork.

"No, I don't think so," Hitchcock said.

"I think so," said Boork. "Isn't that a bad attitude for a captain of your team?"

"That's why you're the press and I'm the coach," said Hitchcock. "I thought it was a good hit, you thought it was a bad hit. Ask another question. I'm not going to debate it with you."

"Do you think discipline (commite) will look at it?" asked Boork.

"It was a two-minute penalty," said Hitchcock.

"Yes, but they can look at it," said Boork. "I think it was a bad attitude for your captain to do that."

Hockey Canada director of communications Andre Brin broke in, and rightly so, to reinforce that only questions be asked, not opinions offered by reporters.

"Should he do the same thing to Sidney Crosby?" Boork asked Hitchcock.

Brin then said: "Next question. These are opinions from this gentleman, not questions."

Boork wasn't having any of that, though.

"You don't put your question either. You be silent when I talk," he told Brin, who then identified himself as a member of Team Canada and called an end to the proceedings.

Hitchcock left the press conference in the media room after saying something to Swedish coach Par Marts. Hitchcock then met with three Canadian reporters in the mixed zone near the ice surface.

"I've done that before. I've had that before," said a smiling Hitchcock. "You get that when you come over here. It's part of the territory.

"They have no problem making commentary about the way we play. They really don't care about the answer. They want to make a statement."

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...#ixzz1LypB11qS

My opinion: Bad form by Boork to try and push his agenda with statements instead of legitimite questions. Equally bad form by Canada's coach to not be able to handle unwanted questions, even when they are meant to be inflammatory.

Thread Information