View Poll Results: Who will be the 2011 IIHF World Champion?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Finland (E2)

29 74.36%
  • Sweden (F2)

10 25.64%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GOLD MEDAL GAME, Finland vs Sweden

IHF Prospect
    Yes! YES! FINALLY! This is the first championship for Finland while I'm alive.

What is interesting is that Swedish goal was scored by player with Finnish surname

It's been a tough tournament, so I suppose even the members of the team are allowed a little rest...
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Laho View Post

It's been a tough tournament, so I suppose even the members of the team are allowed a little rest...
    Who's the fallen hero...

Pasi Nurminen (goalie coach, ex-Thrasher)

Quote Originally Posted by SharksAttack View Post
    Pasi Nurminen (goalie coach, ex-Thrasher)
    And Pasi isn't drunk at all, he's simply displaying his incredible coaching skills by imitating Dominik Hasek.
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

And Pasi isn't drunk at all, he's simply displaying his incredible coaching skills by imitating Dominik Hasek.

... and showing he still remembers how to make the ultimate save.

Yep, he certainly still remembers how to jump on the puck.

EDIT:

Last edited by Laho; 16-05-2011 at 22:59.

Anssi Salmela sums up the game

To tell you what he says, well... first he tries to sum up the game in very broken Swedish, then he switches to Finnish (after spitting some snus out of his lip) and keeps on explaining how he got a flower because some pretty girl mistook him for Mikael Granlund, and finally tells that they couldn't have won gold without Niko Hovinen (number #3 goalie) and Jesse Joensuu (reserve forward).
    Last edited by Laho; 16-05-2011 at 19:37.

Anssi really made it crystal clear to us all!

The best part comes actually after Salmela has finished, the interviewer and his colleague have a little discussion also caught on tape...

"Hey, we're not going to run this out anywhere, got it?"
    "We have just one problem... we were on live."
    "Shit, really?"

And I'm not joking.

Close one, Ossi

Also, you can clearly see a big dent on the face of the trophy... IIHF must actually be happy we don't win that often.

In regards to the trophy, at least you guys didn't pull a Real Madrid or even what the goalie for Ajax (he dropped it off the back of the bus) with the trophy
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Ooops, that was a close call for Ossi. Had he failed that, it would have been the end of that trophy. I mean the bus was high!

I wonder if it's a coincidence that they introduced that particular cup for the 1996 worlds...

I wonder if it's a coincidence that they introduced that particular cup for the 1996 worlds...
    Lol, probably not! We Finns sure know how to give 'the boy' the ride of it's life... literally!

The Stanley Cup has still seen much worse in its lifetime, you guys in Finland should come to Canada for lessons on what (not) to do with a trophy after winning it!

Have to say one thing... after seeing all this, can ANYONE truly say they feel bad about Finland winning it?

IHF Prospect
    Have to say one thing... after seeing all this, can ANYONE truly say they feel bad about Finland winning it?
    Andreas Jämtin?

Guys, chill, if the people from Czech TV are right than that is just a copy of the trophy....the players only get the trophy for some little time after the game and have to take the copy home afterwards......would really suck for Finland to lose it, but definitely wouldn´t be a tragedy for the IIHF....

Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    Guys, chill, if the people from Czech TV are right than that is just a copy of the trophy....the players only get the trophy for some little time after the game and have to take the copy home afterwards......would really suck for Finland to lose it, but definitely wouldn´t be a tragedy for the IIHF....
    SHHH!!

Maker, some people just get kicks out of spoiling the punchline...

SHHH!!

Maker, some people just get kicks out of spoiling the punchline...
    ahh, what can I say? I suck......

To tell you what he says, well... first he tries to sum up the game in very broken Swedish, then he switches to Finnish (after spitting some snus out of his lip) and keeps on explaining how he got a flower because some pretty girl mistook him for Mikael Granlund, and finally tells that they couldn't have won gold without Niko Hovinen (number #3 goalie) and Jesse Joensuu (reserve forward).
    They certainly could have won at least the final game, relying only on a stationary pole as a goalie and pinball game flippers in the corners of the rink. lol!

Let's add a coupla more images...

"MIKKE, RAVISH ME ...here and now!"

Yes... that's dead-drunk Anssi Salmela... with the President of Finland.

So in the end, he got the best piece of cooch, not Granlund.

Two days... and they broke it.

The circumstances are a bit unclear however.

But let's add something nicer as well...

The story behind this pic goes apparently so that the kid in question had been on a drive with his dad when they'd happened to stop on a street by two guys who turned out to be Anssi Salmela and Juhamatti Aaltonen. Salmela had apparently approached them and said: "Nice car." After the dad had said thanks, Salmela suddenly handed his medal to the kid and told him: "Here, try this on." Cue the picture. The boy was flabbergasted and had only been able to comment on how heavy the medal is.

So yeah, he may be a badmouthed drunkard who randomly gropes the president, but he also apprantely knows how to be a class act.

To be honest I have been far from impressed by the public behaviour of some of the members of the sqaud. I know it's a big deal and all winning the WC and the players have every right to celebrate but they also have to keep in mind that many young budding hockey players look up to them as professional athletes and role models. There's every chance that these young people could start mimicing some of their idols.

I know this is the first time in 16 years and all but IMO the partying went overboard.
    Suomi !

Eh, there's been some debate about the behavior of the squad in these parts as well. The general consensus seems to be that the players are allowed to celebrate, but they should have worked harder to keep those who obviously have taken too much out of the eyes of the ever-preying media.

But that's not so easy I suppose, when even half of the team management is completely shitfaced. It's not enough our goalie coach is now a YouTube star. I mean, we had Timo Jutila, the team leader give an interview on the airport after descending and it didn't take a genius to be able to tell he was drunk like a pig. Later on, he even caused a small scandal by disappearing completely from the official celebrations. First somebody tried to explain that he had some kind of stroke. Second it was corrected as a bad strike of gout that apparently prevented him from walking. But you shouldn't lie, as it didn't take long from the newshounds to figure out that he was simply lying passed out in the team bus.

And yeah, he should get sacked after that kind of mess methinks, especially since there's been earlier rumors about him being completely incompetent to handle his duties. But he's apparently real buddy-buddy with the FIHA chairman so will he actually? Something tells me they're simply going to belittle it as a minor mishap and then sweep it under the rug.

Eh, there's been some debate about the behavior of the squad in these parts as well. The general consensus seems to be that the players are allowed to celebrate, but they should have worked harder to keep those who obviously have taken too much out of the eyes of the ever-preying media.

But that's not so easy I suppose, when even half of the team management is completely shitfaced. It's not enough our goalie coach is now a YouTube star. I mean, we had Timo Jutila, the team leader give an interview on the airport after descending and it didn't take a genius to be able to tell he was drunk like a pig. Later on, he even caused a small scandal by disappearing completely from the official celebrations. First somebody tried to explain that he had some kind of stroke. Second it was corrected as a bad strike of gout that apparently prevented him from walking. But you shouldn't lie, as it didn't take long from the newshounds to figure out that he was simply lying passed out in the team bus.

And yeah, he should get sacked after that kind of mess methinks, especially since there's been earlier rumors about him being completely incompetent to handle his duties. But he's apparently real buddy-buddy with the FIHA chairman so will he actually? Something tells me they're simply going to belittle it as a minor mishap and then sweep it under the rug.
    LOL! @ people expecting a team to behave like Bieber on stage after winning a championship. How often do we hear or see the cup being broken after a win ? lol, if you ask me.. That's totally metal and just the way to celebrate!

I'll be looking forward to next year, hoping we'll send something better to the tournament than transvestites. lol.

Well, I certainly don't mind a hockey player that celebrates, especially after such an achievement. But at the very minimum, keep your shades on and only drink some soda when there are cameras around. Most of them did so and it's no big deal.

But when someone from the team management, a guy who's supposed to handle logistics & media and that kind of shtick incapacitates himself it's a different thing. His job certainly didn't end when the bell rang at 60 minutes on Sunday. Yet he was, if possible, even more out of this reality than majority of the players.

It's bit comparable to a school trip I guess. The kids may do silly things and are even expected to, but that's why there are some "adults" around who are supposed to keep their wits about them in all situations. Now that certainly didn't happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information