Thread: RIP Derek Boogaard

Terrible, terrible news, at just 28 as well with his whole life in front of him. One of my favourite nicknamed players, so sad.

RIP :(

Wow, just wow. So shocked when I saw this on TSN. So sad.

Always remember when he tried to pick up a girl I was dating during his time in Minnesota. I told her to tell him that if he laid a finger on her he would regret it. Of course he just laughed. But then I saw a fight clip of his and decided I would regret it.

Condolences to the Boogaard family, his friends, and teammates.

Condolences to the Boogaard family, his friends, and teammates. R.I.P. :(

IHF Prospect
    Condolences to his family, friends and teammates. Gone away too soon.

Awful, awful news.

Obviously he was far too young to pass away.

Condolences to his family & friends.

So saddened to hear about the passing away of Boogard.

The 'Boogeyman' was a massive fan favourite amongst Wild fans.

The hockey world has lost a great person today.

Condolences to his family & friends. R.I.P :-(
    Suomi !

RIP. It's hard to fathom death of players in the NHL, let alone at the age of 28.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Condolences to Boogaard's friends and family.. this is just horrible news.

My condolences, I think I heard somewhere an anuerysm might have been involved ?

Very sad news, RIP, Derek. He sounded like a really nice guy off the ice by all acounts......:(

He was a good man by all accounts.

He did a lot for charities and the communities he was a part of, and also was a big supporter of U.S. troops and military personnel.

His family, while devastated, has donated his brain to medical researchers who are studying the effects of fights and concussions on NHL and other hockey enforcers.

Minnesota fans had an impromptu public memorial for him tonight, and apparently Boogaard's family was so touched by the gesture that they showed up.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=365811

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...ture%20Stories
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 16-05-2011 at 16:48. Reason: Added link to article from NHL.com

STATEMENT FROM THE FAMILY OF DEREK BOOGAARD

New York, May 20, 2011 – The family of Derek Boogaard issued the following statement today through the National Hockey League Players’ Association:

“We would like to express our appreciation for the outpouring of love and support for our family during this difficult period as we grieve the loss of Derek – our son and brother. We are deeply saddened by this unimaginable loss, but we are grateful for the expression of support that has given us strength as we go through this tragic time.

It is very comforting for our family to know that, while Derek’s life was far too short, he had a great impact on many people who he came into contact with. We are proud that Derek was able to live his boyhood dream to play in the National Hockey League. We are even more proud of the fact that Derek was dedicated to making a difference in his adopted communities of Minnesota and New York City, through his countless hours of charitable work.

Earlier today, we received the results of Derek’s toxicology report at the time of his accidental death. After repeated courageous attempts at rehabilitation and with the full support of the New York Rangers, the NHLPA, and the NHL, Derek had been showing tremendous improvement but was ultimately unable to beat this opponent. While he played and lived with pain for many years, his passion for the game, his teammates, and his community work was unstoppable.

Our family would like to like to thank the New York Rangers, the Minnesota Wild, the National Hockey League Players’ Association, and the National Hockey League for supporting Derek’s continued efforts in his battle.

Derek will be greatly missed and will never be forgotten by his fans, friends, and teammates, and especially by us – his family. We respectfully ask for continued privacy as we grieve the loss of Derek.”

To further expand on Marc's post, the coroner ruled that it was an accidental death from oxocondine (spelling?) and alcohol. Again, RIP Derek Boogaard.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

R.I.P Boogaard.
    Great person, on and off the ice... Will be missed by all.

NEW YORK, July 13, 2011 – To honor the legacy of former Rangers left wing Derek Boogaard, the New York Rangers have announced that they will present two scholarships annually for Rangers Summer Youth Hockey Camp to children from the Defending the Blue Line program. Defending the Blue Line is a nonprofit organization created by soldiers with the goal of making hockey accessible to children of our nation’s military heroes, a program Derek supported wholeheartedly throughout his hockey career. Throughout the 2010-11 Season, Boogaard donated four seats at every Rangers home game for military families to attend as part of a group which he dubbed “Boogaard’s Boogaardians.”

This year’s scholarship recipients are two 8-year old boys from New York City who each have family members currently serving in the military. The boys will be attending the week-long camp from July 18-22 at the Madison Square Garden Training Center in Tarrytown, NY. Current Blueshirt center Derek Stepan, also an advocate of Defending the Blue Line, and defenseman Michael Sauer will be visiting the camp on Friday, July 22nd.

Rangers Youth Hockey Camp provides children with top-level hockey instruction with a focus on team participation and personal development. The Derek Boogaard Youth Hockey Scholarship will be awarded annually to honor Boogaard’s memory and continue the Rangers mission to help grow the game of hockey by making it accessible to all.

[Reprinted from the SNY Rangers Blog for educational purposes]

Thread Information