View Poll Results: Who will win the Stanley Cup in 2011?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vancouver in 4 games

1 4.00%
  • Vancouver in 5 games

4 16.00%
  • Vancouver in 6 games

15 60.00%
  • Vancouver in 7 games

0 0%
  • Boston in 4 games

0 0%
  • Boston in 5 games

0 0%
  • Boston in 6 games

2 8.00%
  • Boston in 7 games

3 12.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vancouver (W1) vs Boston (E3) - 2011 Stanley Cup Finals

Stanley Cup Vancouver (W1) vs Boston (E3) - 2011 Stanley Cup Finals

VANCOUVER CANUCKS vs. BOSTON BRUINS

vs

(W1) Vancouver 54-19-9 117pts
    vs. (E3) Boston 46-25-11 103pts

The Vancouver Canucks, in their 40th year of existence, have never won the Stanley Cup.

This season was the Canucks' first ever President's Trophy win (for finishing first overall in the regular season).

This marks the club's third trip to the Stanley Cup finals, having lost in a four game sweep to the then-dynastic New York Islanders in 1982, and after a seven game battle against the New York Rangers in 1994.

Boston, meanwhile, returns to the Stanley Cup finals for the first time since 1990, when they lost to the then-dynastic Edmonton Oilers for the second time in three years (having also lost to the Oilers in the 1988 finals).

The Bruins have not won the Stanley Cup since 1972.

Use this thread for all discussion, predictions, polls, video, and anything concerning the 2011 Stanley Cup finals.

2011 STANLEY CUP FINALS
    W#1 VANCOUVER CANUCKS vs E#3 BOSTON BRUINS
    Date - Time (ET = CET-6) - Location Network
    Wednesday, June 1 at Vancouver, 8 p.m. NBC, CBC, RDS
    Saturday, June 4 at Vancouver, 8 p.m. NBC, CBC, RDS
    Monday, June 6 at Boston, 8 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
    Wednesday, June 8 at Boston, 8 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
    *Friday, June 10 at Vancouver, 8 p.m. NBC, CBC, RDS
    *Monday, June 13 at Boston, 8 p.m. NBC, CBC, RDS
    *Wednesday, June 15 at Vancouver, 8 p.m. NBC, CBC, RDS
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 30-05-2011 at 06:02. Reason: Fixed Boston's seeding info. & schedule

Looking really forward to this, my prediction before the play-offs started was that it would come down to Vancouver and Philly with the Nucks taking the Cup. I was half right with that prediciton. I still beleive the Nucks will win the Cup, they just simply have more depth in their line-up. This series will be interesting to watch because Thomas and Luongo are both playing their best, should be a Goaltender showdown!
    Favourite Teams of the World (No Order): Toronto Maple Leafs, New York Rangers, Vancouver Canucks, Toronto Marlies, MODO Hockey, Timrå IK, Metallurg Magnitogorsk, Salavat Yulaev Ufa, HC Davos, Helsingin IFK, Red Bull Salzburg, Eisbären Berlin, HC Oceláři Třinec, Owen Sound Attack, Halifax Moosehead & Alliston Hornets <3

I'm pulling for the Bruins to win it all, but I think Vancouver has been on a roll lately, so the series has the potential to be fairly short IMO. Hopefully not but we'll see shortly.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Canucks in 6. Bruins might catch them a bit rusty with the long layoff and they may get a split in Vancouver. Then, I think a split again in Boston's first two home games. After that, the Canucks depth should let them prevail.

i think the bruins will win in 6 games but they need to come out of Vancouver with a split at least.
    Boston Bruins Stanley Cup Champions 2011

It has to be the Bruins, partly because I like them and also because Thomas will have the series of his life and dominate!
    Dinamo Riga | Manchester Phoenix | Boston Bruins | Lokomotiv 7th September 2011

Canucks in 6.

Bruins are a gritty, hard working team, but are too inconsistent. Because of that alone, that will give Vancouver momentum. Also, the Canucks have depth and Luongo has improved every round, where Thomas has shown brilliant saves, but has also let in soft ones... inconsistent.

I love Thomas and I think he will win the Vezina this year, but Luongo is playing like it is his year to win the Cup.

Either way, this is going to be an amazing series between two talented clubs. I haven't been this excited for a playoff series since Vancouver vs NY Rangers in 1994.

I think and hope that Canucks will win the cup. My take - Nucks in 5.

I picked the Canucks in 6 because (IMO) their goaltending is equal, their defense is slightly better as an overall unit of six compared to Boston's six, and their offense is slightly deeper than Boston's when you consider all four lines.

Vancouver won Game 1 (by a 1-0 score) in dramatic fashion.

The Canucks' Raffi Torres scored the game's only goal with 18.5 seconds left in the third period, taking a perfect pass from Jannik Hansen and beating Tim Thomas, who had no chance on the play, and sending the home fans into a frenzy.

The game was a hard-hitting, nasty affair that featured top-class goaltending from both Thomas and Roberto Luongo, who recorded 36 saves in Vancouver's shutout victory. Both goaltenders made multiple point blank, very difficult saves, and both teams were unable to convert lengthy 5-on-3 power play opportunities.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Vancouver top-liner Alexandre Burrows get suspended for a game or two, as he bit a Bruins player on the finger during a scrum and drew blood.

I'll take the win but I expected a better game from the Canucks... also, stupid Burrows. :<

If all the rest of the games will be like this, I'll either die of a heart attack, or have no arms left for chewing my nails /way/ down.

Marc, Marc, Marc... a suspension? In the finals?
    That's a laugh.

of course there will not be a suspension haha! no evidence, but Bergeron sure tried to get the ref's to notice it !!!
    Favourite Teams of the World (No Order): Toronto Maple Leafs, New York Rangers, Vancouver Canucks, Toronto Marlies, MODO Hockey, Timrå IK, Metallurg Magnitogorsk, Salavat Yulaev Ufa, HC Davos, Helsingin IFK, Red Bull Salzburg, Eisbären Berlin, HC Oceláři Třinec, Owen Sound Attack, Halifax Moosehead & Alliston Hornets <3

Honestly, he should have gotten one game, Finals or not.

It's completely against "the code" to bite a guy, not to mention deserving of a 2 minute unsportsmanlike conduct, a 10 minute misconduct, and a game misconduct.

Punch a guy if you don't like him facewashing you............drop the gloves. Don't bite him.

The tape clearly shows that he bit him.

Am I surprised at the lack of a suspension?

Sadly, I'm not.

I'd really love to hear Ref72 or Bob Langdon's opinions on this.

IHF Member
    What do you think about Burrows' penalty for tripping Thomas? It seemed to me that Burrows had no way of avoiding Thomas after been pushed by Boston's defenseman.

That was a missed call.....he was cross-checked into him and had no time or space to avoid him.

Referees are only human; I'll give them a pass for that one.

But the bite? Should have been called.

IHF Prospect
    The bite should have been a suspension. Let's hope Shanahan is more consistent than Mr. Campbell.

However, as a former referee myself, I called face washes unsportsmanlike conduct. There is no need for them. They aren't done during the play therefore 2 minutes. Simple as. In my playing days, I hated them but in truth they were the least of your worries because you were likely to be cross-checked in the back or in the head (in the 1970s and 1980s).

I'm expecting a Bruins win tonight....Tim Thomas will again stand on his head, the Bruins WILL NOT score on a powerplay, and Roberto Luongo will give up 1 goal. Bruins grab an empty netter to even the series at 1-1. Unfortunately, the Vancouver scored basically on a 2 on 1 where the defenseman (dont remember who it was) did not do a great job at covering the pass and should've committed more to the pass to shut down the passing lane and let Thomas focus on the shot. It's a shame the Bruins have a nagging tendency to allow goals in the last 1-2 minutes of a period.

Go Get 'Em B's!
    "By Soviet standards I'd always been considered an offensive centerman. Phil Esposito and Bobby Clarke forced me to play a more defensive style. The experience made me a better all around player," -Vladimir Petrov commenting after the 1972 Summit Series

MY BASKETBALL RESEARCH WEBSITE:
    http://92mensolympicbball.webs.com

RUGBY WORLD CUP 2015 QUALIFYING STATISTICS:
    http://www.freewebs.com/rugbystats/RWC2015Q.xlsx

I think it will be much like the first game with little goals, I agree with you Marc, they need to start calling the penalties correctly in this series. But still, I don't think that the Bruins offense can conquer Roberto and his solid Defence. We will have to see but overall I think the only way the Bruins can get somethig going at the moment is if they make a dratic roster change or Luongo has an off night.

Manny Malhotra reminds me kind of Bobby Baun how he broke his leg and came back and was just a huge motivation for the team...

Vancouver also won Game 2, and also in dramatic fashion.

The final score was 3-2 in overtime.

The Canucks led 1-0 at the end of the first period. The first period was really sloppily played by both teams - missed passes, choppy/sloppy stickhandling, clumsy plays. The goalies didn't have to be great.

After that, the game changed. The pace improved, the passing improved, the stickhandling improved, the creativity improved, the hitting picked up, and both goalies had to make some great saves. Boston scored twice to take a 2-1 lead.....their first goals, and lead, of the series. Boston took the 2-1 lead into the third period. Vancouver tied it 2-2 with about 10 minutes left.

Alex Burrows - who should have been suspended for this game, in my opinion, after biting Patrice Bergeron on the finger and drawing blood in Game 1 - scored only 11 seconds into OT on a wraparound after Tim Thomas overplayed his angle and his arc, and couldn't get back into position.

This was, in my opinion, the type of play and goal that is a "series-changer."

IMO, this is the goal that has broken the Bruins' backs - not only does it give the Canucks a 2-0 series lead, but it was scored by a guy who should have been suspended in the Bruins' view (and that of many others, including me), and came only 11 seconds into OT on an odd play, and capped a come from behind rally by Vancouver.

Vancouver leads the series 2-0.

Interesting sidenote - Alex Burrows is one of the comparatively small group of players who made the NHL after starting their pro careers in the ECHL.

GAME 1 VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS (in high-def quality):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0wBYQKvmSk

GAME 2 VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS (in high-def quality):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyUnoZdeo28

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Interesting sidenote - Alex Burrows is one of the comparatively small group of players who made the NHL after starting their pro careers in the ECHL.
    He is a quite interesting player actually. According to Wikipedia he also played ball hockey until 2006, and has won the World Championships twice with Canada. He was voted International Player of the Year in 2005, and the best player in Canada in 2006.

Sweet! I had no idea. I've played a TON of ball hockey (called 'dek hockey' here in the USA) over the years - even more than ice, because rink times are easier to get, cheaper to get, and the game times are more reasonable. Long Island, where I'm from, is one of the strongholds of the sport here in the USA (along with Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Massachusetts). I've actually played with and against quite a few guys who have played for Team USA over the years, and I've played in some USA club team regional championships, and actually won one and went to the finals another time. I've also played a ton of inline hockey. Did you know that Henrik Lundqvist apparently backstopped Sweden to some kind of international inline hockey title?

Here's Burrows scoring a ball hockey goal in 2003 at the Quebec Championships -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYgvqHrMErk

Crazy that this exists on Youtube, eh?
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 05-06-2011 at 16:19. Reason: Added Burrows ball hockey video

IHF Member
    Although I was struggling to keep myself awake (the game started at 2 am local time), I noticed the lack of offensive drive in Boston's game after they got the lead. Later I noticed how statistics backs this up. Boston fired only six shots at goal following Recchi's tip in. What were the Bruins thinking, that they can close the game at mid point?

Anyway, I was impressed by the number and intensity of the hits in the game. The players were throwing themselves like human cannon balls and I could not keep myself from thinking about IIHF referees and how many boarding and charging penalties would they have called.

I agree. Bruins so far have been disappointing, although scores have been tight, the Bruins are offering almost nothing offensively. PHI - CHI finals last year were much more entertaining in my eyes.

It's completely against "the code" to bite a guy, not to mention deserving of a 2 minute unsportsmanlike conduct, a 10 minute misconduct, and a game misconduct.

Punch a guy if you don't like him facewashing you............drop the gloves. Don't bite him.

Sadly, I'm not.

Marc
    Tough one to judge. Bob is a lot more qualified to provide an answer to what the NHL's policy is for a suspension of biting then I am. I can tell you that under Hockey Canada rules, biting is a match penalty, which would receive an automatic suspension of some type (pending a hearing with the appropriate parties). I happened to hear an interview this morning with the GM of the Leafs, Brian Burke, and he was asked about the alleged incident. You might recall he used to have the job as NHL disciplinarian. He says the league policy on such matters is that there has to be 100% certainty the infraction occurred and at least one of the on-ice officials would have to have seen it. If either of these conditions are not met, the benefit of the doubt is given to the player and no suspension is levied. In this case, thats what happened so he walks.

If you shove your finger into my mouth, it's almost an instinctive response to bite.

I think this was an elaborate "dive" by Bergeron - attempt to draw a penalty. You'd need dog jaws to bite through a hockey glove anyways...

IHF Member

Sadly, I'm not.

If you shove a finger into someone's mouth, you should accept the consequences.
    I am not saying Burrows was right in doing what he did by any means but I am getting
    sick and tired of this stupid face wash nonsense that goes on in these goal crease scrums.
    First man to put a glove in another player's face gets two and ten.
    Do that and this face wash crap will soon be a thing of the past.
    A stiff fine would suffice in Burrows case.
    Bergeron was not seriously injured in the incident except maybe for his dignity.
    I think the whole thing is getting seriously over blown.
    It's not like Claude Lemieux's chicken shit hit on Kris Draper.
    That was truly a cowardly act against ANY code of conduct.

Ref72 -

Thanks for the response/explanation....much appreciated.

HS -

I agree that this is nothing like a Clude Lemieux (or Dale Hunter, or Dave Brown, or Todd Bertuzzi) type situation.......not even close.

Taking both of your posts into account, I would have been OK with a 2 minute unsportsmanlike and a 5 minute major for attempt to injure, along with a 10 minute misconduct.

IHF Member
    What do you guys think of the hit on Horton a little while ago? Ws it really that lat of a hit? I have seen worse.

Quote Originally Posted by mlharris View Post
    What do you guys think of the hit on Horton a little while ago? Ws it really that lat of a hit? I have seen worse.
    It looked late enough to me, IMO. And for those who haven't seen it yet, here's the vid of it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUYqT...&feature=feedu
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

It was a late hit. I think the refs make the perfect call.

I don't think there should be a suspension. You have to look at the Chara hit from this season. Called a "Major Interference", that resulted in a injury, but no suspension.

Wasn't a deliberate hit to the head; shoulder to head. If Rome used his elbow, then yes, I would say suspend him and fine him.

My opinion is that it was a clean hit and Rome should not have been given a penalty.

Horton had just released the puck and was busy admiring his pass, and he got caught and punished for it. He was the last Bruin to have touched the puck, Rome used his shoulder, and, to my mind, did not purposely target Horton's head.

That hit was identical to several hundred thrown by Scott Stevens throughout his career, and he made the Hall of Fame because of throwing hits just like that.......remember the hit he crushed Lindros with? Same hit Rome hit Horton with.

My opinion is that it was a clean hit and Rome should not have been given a penalty.

Horton had just released the puck and was busy admiring his pass, and he got caught and punished for it. He was the last Bruin to have touched the puck, Rome used his shoulder, and, to my mind, did not purposely target Horton's head.

That hit was identical to several hundred thrown by Scott Stevens throughout his career, and he made the Hall of Fame because of throwing hits just like that.......remember the hit he crushed Lindros with? Same hit Rome hit Horton with.
    Very good point.

So, let's sum this up: Vancouver quit halfway through the third period, which is pretty much equivalent to walking into the Bruins' locker room, dropping your pants and leaving them a nice "surprise" on the floor for when they show up later in the day.
    Game 4 will be dirty, if this game was any indication, there is no love lost between the two teams.

Also, the only reason Boston won IMO is the fact that Thomas stymied Vancouver in the second half of the first period. If the Canucks had managed to score there, I don't see any possible way they would have lost that momentum, it would have been a totally different game.

Boston blew Vancouver away in Game 3, winning 8-1 at home, despite being outshot 41-38.

Tim Thomas again played extremely well.......he has a 1.56 GAA and a .953 save percentage through 3 games, despite only going 1-2 so far. He made some critical saves when the game was 0-0, and when his team led 1-0 and then 2-0.

Meanwhile, Roberto Luongo got strafed, including giving up 3 goals on Boston's final 3 shots in the final 2:23 of the game.

Both sides threw some heavy, heavy hits. There was also all kinds of nastiness being dished out by both sides - slashes, punches, facewashes, headlocks - you name it.

Boston played with the desperation that they needed to play with.

I'm surprised that Vigneault left Luongo in after Boston's 4th goal, which came late in the second period. The game was 0-0 after the first period.

It's tough for me to root for the Canucks, even though, as a New Yorker, I just cannot cheer for a Boston team in any sport (I'd cheer for the Bruins if they played the Devils, Flyers or Islanders, though). Why? Besides my distaste for the franchise stemming from its and its fans support of Todd Bertuzzi after the 2004 Steve Moore incident, Raffi Torres, Max Lapierre and Alex Burrows have all played really dirty in this series, and Torres has been dirty all playoffs. In Game 2, Lapierre mocked Patrice Bergeron about his having been bitten in Game 1on the finger by Lapierre's teammate Alex Burrows. Sorry, but they're not a likable team. Meanwhile, I like and respect a lot of the Bruins' players, especially Tim Thomas. If they didn't wear Boston jerseys, I'd openly cheer for them.

Milan Lucic was really funny at one point during a scrum, facewashing Burrows and challenging Burrows to bite him, and taunting him when he didn't. Another Bruin did the same to Lapierre.....and I don't blame the Bruins players one bit for doing it....Burrows and Lapierre brought this on themselves.

I will try and find video that conveys just how nasty this game was.

IHF Member

I saw this in different way. At the moment Horton released the puck, Rome was about three meters away and showed no inclination to go after Horton. Rome wasn't "finishing the check", he was deliberately going after player without a puck so in my opinion he deserved at least two minutes for interference.

Furthermore, he increased the possibility to hit his opponent into the head by jumping at the moment of impact. Yes, Horton wasn't looking in Rome's direction, but in my opinion Rome did this intentionally and got what he deserved.

I like the tough game but in this case Fassel's statement applies: "There's no such thing as clear hit into the head."

IHF Member
    Milan Lucic was really funny at one point during a scrum, facewashing Burrows and challenging Burrows to bite him, and taunting him when he didn't.
    I don't like Lucic but I must admit that he was right for going after Burrows after Vancouver's player slashed Thomas when goalie went to pick the puck. It was dirty move by Burrows and he deserved to get his ass kicked old fashioned way.

The hit to me looked a bit on the late side, on the other hand Rome hardly moved, Horton skated into where Rome was standing, without looking at that. Could be a 2 minute interference call to me.

How is Horton doing, it didn't look good on the ice?
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

Milan Lucic was really funny at one point during a scrum, facewashing Burrows and challenging Burrows to bite him, and taunting him when he didn't. Another Bruin did the same to Lapierre.....and I don't blame the Bruins players one bit for doing it....Burrows and Lapierre brought this on themselves.
    Interestingly though, after that incident in Game 2, Boston's coach pretty much went on camera and said "that was disgraceful (on the part of Lapierre) and my guys won't stoop to that level".
    Then in the first period Recchi does exactly that to Burrows, and Lucic follows suit in the third. So much for controlling his players, eh.

It's different, Steigs.....Lapierre was mocking the victim of the incident, not the perpetrator of it. They didn't stoop to Vancouver's level.

IHF Member

That was before 48.1 existed

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A lateral or blind side hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and/or the principal point of contact is not permitted.
    The "principal point of contact" extends beyond the targeting of the head, and imo gives the referees a little more leeway to call the major. The consistency which with this is applied reamains to be seen.

IHF Member
    It's different, Steigs.....Lapierre was mocking the victim of the incident, not the perpetrator of it. They didn't stoop to Vancouver's level.
    For the record Claude Julien was not at all pleased with his players.
    In his eyes, they DID stoop down to Laperriere's level.

Ref72 -

Thanks for the response/explanation....much appreciated.

HS -

I agree that this is nothing like a Clude Lemieux (or Dale Hunter, or Dave Brown, or Todd Bertuzzi) type situation.......not even close.

Taking both of your posts into account, I would have been OK with a 2 minute unsportsmanlike and a 5 minute major for attempt to injure, along with a 10 minute misconduct.
    Marc
    Just to clarify an NHL rule, he could not receive BOTH a 2-minute minor and 5-minute major for ONE infraction. Its one or the other. In the case of the 5-minute major, a game misconduct is AUTOMATICALLY applied (thats the case for 99% of 5-minute majors, save for fighting). So a 10-minute misconduct would not apply here in the case of the 5-minute penalty. With majors, one of the criteria for application is whether an injury was sustained by the victim. If yes, the minor is escalated to the major level

I think it was close but still a late hit by Rome on Horton. Some of you mentioned the appropriate penalty should have been a 2-minute minor. But once the ref called a penalty, and the player is deemed injured, the referee's hands are tied - He MUST call and apply the 5 minute major penalty and automatic game misconduct - it is not a discretionary call that the referee can change. (see my previous post on this)

IHF Member

It was a different game when Scott Stevens played.
    Scott Stevens couldn't do that today just like Brad Marsh couldn't hook and hold to
    slow down faster opponents (which was virtually everybody) like he did in his day.
    It was officially a 5 minute major for interference with a game misconduct.
    Between the time Horton passed the puck until Rome made contact was just under a full second.
    The new standard for "finishing checks" is apparently about .5 seconds after point of release
    which is half the time Rome took to deliver the hit after Horton passed the puck.
    The "don't admire your pass" philosophy is old school hockey think and may well be on its way out.
    Instead, the onus is now being placed on the player delivering the hit.
    Delivering predatory 'kill shots' on unsuspecting players on the pretense 'they should have had their heads
    on a swivel' really doesn't cut it anymore.
    It's like the NFL rules protecting QB's from crippling blindside shots after throwing the ball.
    If the player has made the pass, ease up.
    If he can't see you. that's irrelevant.
    The whole idea of bodychecking is to separate the puck carrier from the puck...
    not to separate his head from the rest of his body.
    Curious that there still less outrage (among some) over this potentially career threatening hit
    as opposed to Alex Burrows' idea of finger food.

Breaking news! I pasted this from nhl.com

"Rome suspended for four games for late hitTuesday, 06.07.2011 / 12:46 PM / 2011 Stanley Cup Final - Canucks v Bruins NHL.com BOSTON -- The Vancouver Canucks will be without Aaron Rome for the rest of the Stanley Cup Final.

The National Hockey League on Tuesday suspended the defenseman four games for delivering a late hit to Boston Bruins forward Nathan Horton in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Final.

Rome was assessed a five-minute major penalty for interference and a game misconduct at 5:07 of the first period. Horton, who was stretchered off the ice after the hit at the Vancouver blue line, suffered a severe concussion on the hit. Earlier Tuesday, the Bruins announced that Horton will miss the remainder of the Stanley Cup Final.

"Two factors were considered in reaching this decision," said NHL Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations Mike Murphy. "The hit by Rome was clearly beyond what is acceptable in terms of how late it was delivered after Horton had released the puck and it caused a significant injury."

Rome will miss the remainder of the Stanley Cup Final series. If the Final ends before Game 7, the suspension will carry over to the start of the 2011-12 regular season".

wow- I bet few people expected a 4-game suspension. Maybe the NHL is taking a tougher stand on these infractions? For one, I think its about time.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ref72 View Post
    Breaking news! I pasted this from nhl.com

"Rome suspended for four games for late hitTuesday, 06.07.2011 / 12:46 PM / 2011 Stanley Cup Final - Canucks v Bruins NHL.com BOSTON -- The Vancouver Canucks will be without Aaron Rome for the rest of the Stanley Cup Final.

The National Hockey League on Tuesday suspended the defenseman four games for delivering a late hit to Boston Bruins forward Nathan Horton in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Final.

Rome was assessed a five-minute major penalty for interference and a game misconduct at 5:07 of the first period. Horton, who was stretchered off the ice after the hit at the Vancouver blue line, suffered a severe concussion on the hit. Earlier Tuesday, the Bruins announced that Horton will miss the remainder of the Stanley Cup Final.

"Two factors were considered in reaching this decision," said NHL Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations Mike Murphy. "The hit by Rome was clearly beyond what is acceptable in terms of how late it was delivered after Horton had released the puck and it caused a significant injury."

Rome will miss the remainder of the Stanley Cup Final series. If the Final ends before Game 7, the suspension will carry over to the start of the 2011-12 regular season".

wow- I bet few people expected a 4-game suspension. Maybe the NHL is taking a tougher stand on these infractions? For one, I think its about time.
    Perhaps just as well, for Rome's sake.
    If he were to return at some point in the series, he could...
    no, make that would be in for a world of hurt.

Brutal call on the suspension. The NHL had all season to send a message about hits to the head and now they decide to say something?

Bad call NHL. Refs made the perfect call on the ice. Where was the suspension call on the Chara hit this season that resulted in a concussion AND a fractured neck??

The NHL is lacking consistency regarding hits to the head.

I hate seeing players get concussions as they are life altering, but the NHL has been failing in regards to contact to the head.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information