Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IIHF Junior Eligibility for Dual-Citizens

IHF Member
    It's been reported by a US media source that Stefan Matteau has been cleared by the IIHF to play for the US going forward. I don't have any additional details but it'll be interesting to see if any other cases are effected by this decision.

Quote Originally Posted by cagney View Post
    It's been reported by a US media source that Stefan Matteau has been cleared by the IIHF to play for the US going forward. I don't have any additional details but it'll be interesting to see if any other cases are effected by this decision.
    Also on note about another promising young US player, Alex Galchenyuk reputedly gave up his Russian passport. Sounds like the US will have some rising talent in years to come.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Also on note about another promising young US player, Alex Galchenyuk reputedly gave up his Russian passport. Sounds like the US will have some rising talent in years to come.
    Is this to get a higher draft seed? I can't really see any other reason for such a step since as far as I know nothing prohibits him to holding both passports.
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itry View Post
    Is this to get a higher draft seed? I can't really see any other reason for such a step since as far as I know nothing prohibits him to holding both passports.
    I think only Alex and those close to him would know the answer to your question for sure but for the past year or so he's gone on record a number of times saying he wants to play for the US. The issue has been whether or not he's eligible and after the initial Matteau ruling before the U18s Alex made a comment on Twitter that the IIHF deemed him ineligible to play for the US at the U18s. Giving up his Russian citizenship could conceiveably allow him to play for the US going forward as the IIHF rules regarding such cases are rather ambiguous. Given the new Matteau ruling it seems the IIHF might be reconsidering the hard line stance it seemed to be taking with eligibility so things are up in the air as far as Alex's eligibility is concerned.
    Last edited by cagney; 07-06-2012 at 17:30.

I see that Hungarian Norbert Hári is included in Hungarian junior national teams summer camps selections. Does this mean that the Hungarian federation has appealed against IIHF´s decision from last spring? (Which was that he wasn´t eligible for Hungary because he was too young when he played in Hungary). Is the appeal gonna succeed? It will be interesting to see as the ruling from last spring or the decision about the appeal could be a precedent for a number of kids from smaller hockey countries. I really hope that it does succeed as I really see no reason why Hári shouldn´t be allowed to play for Hungary.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    I see that Hungarian Norbert Hári is included in Hungarian junior national teams summer camps selections. Does this mean that the Hungarian federation has appealed against IIHF´s decision from last spring? (Which was that he wasn´t eligible for Hungary because he was too young when he played in Hungary). Is the appeal gonna succeed? It will be interesting to see as the ruling from last spring or the decision about the appeal could be a precedent for a number of kids from smaller hockey countries. I really hope that it does succeed as I really see no reason why Hári shouldn´t be allowed to play for Hungary.
    Given that his situation is very similar to Stefan Matteau's I'd imagine the Hungarian Federation could point to the Matteau reversal as a precedent for having the Hari ruling overturned as well. Hopefully that's the case as it wasn't a fair ruling for him or Hungarian hockey at all.

delete
    Last edited by Stolpskott; 02-11-2012 at 13:53.

IHF Prospect
    I have a question about eligibility for Team Japan myself. Born in Tokyo with dual Japanese and Canadian citizenship. Moved to Canada at age 8, picked up the game at age 9. Never played in Japan. I am doubtful about my eligibility for Japan but as I differ from the "two year rule" in a sense that while the two year rule states :"When a player has changed his citizenship or has acquired another citizenship and wants to participate", while in my case, I acquired both citizenship at the same.

Any input?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyre1 View Post
    I have a question about eligibility for Team Japan myself. Born in Tokyo with dual Japanese and Canadian citizenship. Moved to Canada at age 8, picked up the game at age 9. Never played in Japan. I am doubtful about my eligibility for Japan but as I differ from the "two year rule" in a sense that while the two year rule states :"When a player has changed his citizenship or has acquired another citizenship and wants to participate", while in my case, I acquired both citizenship at the same.

Any input?
    You fall under the 2-year rule as a dual-citizen that has never represented either country, and are seeking to represent a country for the first time.

IHF Prospect
    I apologize for responding to an old theme, but I have two questions.

1) What makes a player require the four year rule over the two year rule?
    2) Who are some examples of players from the past few seasons who belong to the four year rule?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey511 View Post
    I apologize for responding to an old theme, but I have two questions.

1) What makes a player require the four year rule over the two year rule?
    2) Who are some examples of players from the past few seasons who belong to the four year rule?

Thanks!
    1) If they have already played in IIHF competition for country A, they must spend four years to gain eligibility for country B.
    2) Geoff Platt, played U18 for Canada in 2003, gained citizenship in 2012 and eligibility to play in 2014 with Belarus.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Quote Originally Posted by Trim View Post
    2) Geoff Platt, played U18 for Canada in 2003, gained citizenship in 2012 and eligibility to play in 2014 with Belarus.
    And probably the most famous example, Evgeni Nabokov. Played for Kazakhstan in 1994. Played for Russia in 2006.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information