Thread: End of Yunost era?

Belarus End of Yunost era?

Yunost Minsk won all the possible trophy last season (League, Cup and Continental) and submit apply for kHl but BLR federation refused, so it seems there is an exodus of players from club...Also coach Mikhail Zakharov said he is looking for a club in Russia, probably in VHL...
    What is happening in Minsk? Is this the end of Yunost?
    Here list of players having left club in last weeks: http://eurohockey.com/transfers.html...to=&id_country=

How would they play in the KHL with an arena that only holds fewer than 1,000 people?

With that said, they have done very well in the BOL & Continental Cup........why not continue that way?

Or perhaps join the VHL?

If they were granted permission to play, they would move away from Minsk and play in either Bobruisk or Soligorsk.

Why continue to play at a level sub pair to what you could be playing at? If they have the structure and the finances to play at a much higher level, then move up. If the Federation declined them permission to join KHL, why would they allow them to play in VHL, joining either league still drops the level of play in the BOL, which is why the BLR Federation is against it.

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    How would they play in the KHL with an arena that only holds fewer than 1,000 people?
    Well, in case I think they'd rent Arena-Minsk
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

I guess the VHL really wouldn't be an improvement over the BOL.....basically the same level of play, so why bother? Unless for some reason Yunost fans find VHL teams more attractive than BOL teams, which I doubt. OK, bad idea.

If they moved to another city, how would that impact their hockey school? Would they lose most of the youth they currently are training there?

As for the Belarussian Federation, I'm surprised that they wouldn't jump at the chance to have 2 teams in the KHL.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    I guess the VHL really wouldn't be an improvement over the BOL.....basically the same level of play, so why bother? Unless for some reason Yunost fans find VHL teams more attractive than BOL teams, which I doubt. OK, bad idea.

If they moved to another city, how would that impact their hockey school? Would they lose most of the youth they currently are training there?

As for the Belarussian Federation, I'm surprised that they wouldn't jump at the chance to have 2 teams in the KHL.
    They used to claim they wanted four teams. Who knows what's going on in Belarus these days anyway. Maybe they're re-examining the state of their national league and realizing it would probably drop to a 3rd rate league with more KHL teams.

You're right in that joining the VHL would at best be a lateral move.

Quote Originally Posted by saskhab View Post
    They used to claim they wanted four teams. Who knows what's going on in Belarus these days anyway. Maybe they're re-examining the state of their national league and realizing it would probably drop to a 3rd rate league with more KHL teams.

You're right in that joining the VHL would at best be a lateral move.
    As far as I've read this is exactly what it is. They don't want to allow for instance Yunost to leave BOL for KHL so that the level of BOL would not drop.
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itry View Post
    As far as I've read this is exactly what it is. They don't want to allow for instance Yunost to leave BOL for KHL so that the level of BOL would not drop.
    Further on this, I don't know how familiar any of you are with the concept of league equivalencies... it essentially looks at players who have moved from one league to the next, and averages how much offence they carry forward to the next league. So far, most of the work has been concentrated on the NHL (for example, AHL is a 0.44 while Elitserien is 0.78; major junior leagues are 0.30), but I didn't think it was an accurate measurement of league quality, since the NHL will only poach the top Elitserien or Czech league players, while the guys they take from the AHL could be of varying quality due to injuries, could be goons, etc.

Anyways, long story short, I'm running these numbers for the KHL. A lot of the leagues don't have enough players moving back and forth to make a comprehensive guess, but I had enough from the Belarussian League, and found this interesting:

In 07/08 to 08/09 (last year of Dinamo Minsk in Belarus' league and first year of KHL), the Belarusian league had a 0.49 KHL equivelancy, essentially was half as good. For every year after that, it is 0.30. So the Belarusian league's quality has dropped significantly with the arrival of the KHL.

In theory, that means that a 50 point scorer in the BOL in 2007-08 would have been expected to put up 25 points in the KHL in 2008-09. The next year, a 50 point scorer in the BOL would have been a 15 point scorer in the KHL.

Any updates on Yunost?

The club is qualified for this year's Continental Cup super-final.......

IHF Member
    Belarus 1.league or High league begun it´s season and I found there was a new team named "RCOP" Anybody knows?

Banned
    I have on question for those who now something more about the league.
    What is the main mode of transportation for the clubs in Belarus league, is it bus, train or plain. Especially when the teams goes to Latvia and Ukraine?

Quote Originally Posted by BALBOA View Post
    I have on question for those who now something more about the league.
    What is the main mode of transportation for the clubs in Belarus league, is it bus, train or plain. Especially when the teams goes to Latvia and Ukraine?
    Bus. Haven't heard of any teams flying as it would cost too much. They might use the train if necessary within the Belarus but as far as I understand every club has their own bus and they use it as their transport.
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

IHF Member
    Did Yunost gain membership into the KHL? and would the league be weaker without them if they did leave

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyfan 88 View Post
    Did Yunost gain membership into the KHL? and would the league be weaker without them if they did leave
    Does it look like Yunost joined the KHL and if you would of read the thread, you would know the answer to your second question is yes.

Banned
    who is the main favorit for the title this year?
    I dont think that it will be Yunost becouse there are a lot of players who left the club, for me, Neman is the first favorite...
    Any other opinions?

Thread Information