Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2018 Olympics

My understanding is that Canada, USA, Russia, Sweden, Finland and Czech Republic are effectively safe and qualified already.
    Switzerland can be overtaken by Latvia if LAT finish 5 spots higher than SUI.... not impossible but I expect SUI to show up in a big way this year to clinch that spot.
    LAT can overtake SVK if they finish 4 places ahead of SVK. This isn't quite so impossible to imagine.
    While NOR, BLR and FRA can technically still overtake SVK, I'm not counting chances here. They will be fighting for home ice advantage in the final qualification tournaments.

I've no doubt that most of the usual suspects don't have to sweat about it - just send a team and do what they usually do. I was simply curious which countries have already qualified even in the most unlikely of scenarios - as in can't fall lower than 8th seed no matter what. I simply couldn't bother with the math required to count all those scenarios and was trying to see if anybody else had got any further.

Most likely said permutations will extend to at least Russia and Canada as well.
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

I think the only change you could consider possible (not likely, but possible) would be Latvia getting into the 8th spot at the expense of Slovakia. It really depends on SVK showing up and doing well at the Worlds this year, which from one year to the next is not always a certainty in recent years.

While Latvia beating out Slovakia (or even Switzerland) is not out of the realms of possibility, it does seem extremely unlikely at this moment as they would need a combination of both them doing exceptionally well and Slovakia (or Switzerland) doing exceptionally badly.

While as Steigs has put it Slovakia might not have exactly shown up at the Worlds (worst finished being 13th in Quebec and 12th in Cologne), except for those two years they have never finished worse than 10th. And in the past three years the worst finish is 9th last year (2nd in 12, 8th in 13 and 9th in 14). I think it's therefore pretty realistic to expect Slovakia not to finish worse than 10th. As I'd dare to say that the worst times of Slovak hockey (which were among many other things caused by the lack of top end players born in the classes of mid to late 80s as well as most of the prospects born in the mid 80s not turning out as well as one would hope) as slowly players born from 1989 onwards are taking centre stage both overseas and in European leagues. While there were only 13 Slovak players who have played in the NHL this season, 5 of them were born in 1990 or later, furthermore there were the players of this age group doing really well in the Czech league (and Viedensky in Finland) and then the younger players Like Reway, Cehlarik or Jaros who also played in top European league. Furthermore looking at the younger classes it seems like the trend of recent years where Slovakia is able to produce 1-2 top players (by that I mean solid NHL prospects) and a few solid Euro players each year will continue.

I mean last year Slovakia was either a few seconds (without Jagr's goal in first game) or one blown away period against France away from making the QF with a team made up mostly out of players from this generation (16 players born in 1988 or later).

Anyway, that's kinda getting widely off topic. Saying that Slovakia finishes no worse than 10th this year (which seems pretty likly considering most recent history as well as the home ice advantage they'll pretty much get in Ostrava, without the off ice drama of Bratislava 2011), Latvia would have finished in 6th place or better in order to surpass Slovakia in the rankings. Which to date they have never done.

Even if we counted with the possibility that Slovakia finishes 12th, Latvia would have finished at least 8th, which they have done only once since 2004 (7th in 2009, and even that year SVK finished 10th). With the exception of 2009 and 2011 Latvia generally finished 10th or 11th at the WC in recent memory, which means they would need Slovakia to finish 14th or 15th. It's kinda hard to see that happening.

As for Switzerland (who by the way in most recent memory actually have a worse WC record than Slovakia, finishing 11th in 2012, 2nd in 2013 and 10th in 2014), since they joined elite in 1998 their worst finish was the affore mentioned 11th place, generally they have finished 8th-9th. Even if they once again finished 11th, Latvia would need to finish 6th or better. And it does seem extremely unlikely that they would. Although I don't really share Steigs believe that they will show up big this year tbh, not for the lack of quality of players, but because I have learned not to trust in Glen Hanlon.

If we were talking about a best of 7 series between Latvia and Slovakia or beween Latvia and Switzerland (with the WC rosters), I could kinda see Latvia stealing that one spot. In the WC considering all the outside factors, I have hard times seeing it happening. I hope I just didn't jinx our guys, haha.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

Is there any way that slovaks miss Olympics directly and that they need to go to qualifications ? So I can cheer for that...

IHF Member
    What do you think the first qualifying tournaments in November will look like? Too early to tell?

We'll have a better idea of who will compete once the teams trying to qualify are announced.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    We'll have a better idea of who will compete once the teams trying to qualify are announced.
    So there's a chance some teams won't accept the invites?

Example of potential group:
    Romania
    Israel
    Mexico
    China

With results of just finished world championships, would these pairings be correct and any of the teams wouldn't go?

Great Britain didn't attempt to qualify for 2010 if I recall, something along the lines of "we have no chance, so why take players away from the league for nothing" was the reasoning given.
    Lower-ranked nations often don't have the funds to pay for their players' travel, the players pay their own way, and if their Olympic Committee doesn't believe they have a chance to qualify they won't fund the team's travel either. That's why you might see one or two low-ranked teams play pre-qual tournaments but other higher-ranked teams will decide not to.

90% chance China won't for the men's tournament. 90% chance China will for the women's side. World Rankings entirely the reasoning.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member
    Seems like this can be a guide for the groups:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hoc..._qualification

By reaching definitely the quarter final today SWITZERLAND is officially qualified for Olympic tournament.
    The best eight after this WC qualifie directly for South Korea.

http://www.planetehockey.com/news-cm...ale,52369.html

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trim View Post
    90% chance China won't for the men's tournament. 90% chance China will for the women's side. World Rankings entirely the reasoning.
    China got a great group, perfect preparation for next year's world championship

Group "K" seems to be highly unbalanced. Estonia will execute these teams with 5+ goals (even without best players), the others will only compete for the second place.
    Group "L" much more balanced, at least three team is quite on a same level, some exciting game can be there.

With the 2015 WC complete, the groups for the 2018 Olympic Games are taking a more complete shape:
    Group A: Canada, Czech Rep, Switzerland, Korea
    Group B: Russia, USA, Slovakia, Qualifier 3
    Group C: Sweden, Finland, Qualifier 1, Qualifier 2

Let's hope the IIHF, the IOC, and the NHL can find a way to let the best players in the World represent their countries. It would be such a shame to let this go after 5 Olympic Games in a row with it.

Qualification changes already. The game between Bulgaria and Georgia has been temporarily rescheduled to 10 October. The bigger news is Serbia won't host Group L which Spain have taken over with location to be determined.

IHF Member
    The IIHF released the 2016 Women's World Ranking which will serve as the base for women's qualifications. USA, Canada, Finland, Russia and Sweden join South Korea as automatically qualified. Bronze medallist in Sochi, Switzerland will have to go through a qualification tournament.

Considering the format presented by the IIHF, we can have an idea how the Qualification rounds will look like.

Final Olympic Qualification
    Group C: Switzerland (host), Czech Republic, Denmark, Qualifier 4
    Group D: Japan (host), Germany, Austria, Qualifier 3

Olympic Pre-Qualification
    Group E: France (host), Latvia, China, Qualifier 6
    Group F: Norway (host), Slovakia, Hungary, Qualifier 5

Olympic Preliminary Qualification
    Group G: Kazakhstan (host), Great Britain, Poland, Spain
    Group H: Netherlands (host), Italy, Slovenia, Croatia

I assume North Korea who should be in place of Spain won't participate.

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/c.../2016-ranking/
    http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/c...hips/olympics/

Yahoo's Puck Daddy blog just talked about how Korea is naturalizing more North Americans to prepare for 2018: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...204320376.html
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Saw article on IOC decision not to pay insurance and travel costs for NHL player participation as has been the case the past few Olympics. IIHF President Fasel commented this decision will make it even more difficult to get an agreement with the NHL to participate in 2018. Difficult to envision NHL owners forking out this money with no perceived benefit in return.

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    I am sure in the end they'll be in. Players want to, coaches want to, federations want to. It sucks to have all these mind games, but they'll find a compromise.
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
    I am sure in the end they'll be in. Players want to, coaches want to, federations want to. It sucks to have all these mind games, but they'll find a compromise.
    Gary Bettman of the NHL had a news conference yesterday as tradition dictates before game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final. The topic of NHL participation came up of course, and it continues to sound bleak for NHL participation. Gary emphasized that lack of IOC consideration to pay insurance and travel expenses in the many millions is a show stopper for the NHL owners. He stated a final decision needs to be made by around September 2016. At this stage, I firmly believe we will not see NHL players at the 2018 Olympic Games which is a shame.

IHF Prospect
    Hi I have 19 tickets for each game. OL qualifier in Minsk, for games Poland-Belarus, Poland- Slovenia, Belarus-Slovenia. price 7 euro a piece, seating are in section H

oksun@worldonline.dk
    Last edited by OKS; 21-06-2016 at 12:59.

Games from Women's Group G Qualification are being live streamed.

Doesn't look good re: NHL participation
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-won...234341607.html

Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Doesn't look good re: NHL participation
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-won...234341607.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Wyshynski
    If NHL participation is coming at the cost of hockey development, Bettman doesn’t agree with it. “I have on some level, perhaps it’s emotional, a real problem with funding that would otherwise go to hockey development being used for this purpose,”
    Yeah, Gary really cares about that with all zero of his teams running in house development programs. His board of governors really cares about that too, you know, with not wanting to give national federations and clubs their due by signing away their star players and then crying about having to pay compensation.

Get real.

It's sadly official: no NHL at the Olympics, per their site. https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-will-no...cs/c-288385598

Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    It's sadly official: no NHL at the Olympics, per their site. https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-will-no...cs/c-288385598
    Sadly, such a short sighted decision by the NHL. Not surprised but extremely disappointing day. Lost opportunity to see a best vs best.

IHF Member
    Those people (Betmann and club owners) don't like hockey as sport but only as source of revenue. On the other hand, players could have had insisted that participation in Olympic games become a mandatory condition in any NHL - NHLPA negotiations. But they didn't. So in the end, it is the European fans that are predominantly at loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    So in the end, it is the European fans that are predominantly at loss.
    Though it arguably benefits them more, as far as medal chances go, as Canadian and American teams will be greatly weakened compared to the losses suffered by the European nations and Korea.

Fuck the NHL.

Quote Originally Posted by Trim View Post
    Though it arguably benefits them more, as far as medal chances go, as Canadian and American teams will be greatly weakened compared to the losses suffered by the European nations and Korea.

Fuck the NHL.
    Depending on who Canada and the US sends, it may get really ugly. I'm guessing Russia is licking its chops.

IHF Member
    maybe players should boycot the next world cup...

Quote Originally Posted by kerusz View Post
    maybe players should boycot the next world cup...
    "For fear of being injured for the NHL season."

IHF Member
    Top players should have negotiated with their clubs the right to play at the Olympics and then make NHLPA include such right for anyone. Unfortunately, many players decline invitations to play at the World Championships even when their clubs did not even play in the playoffs. They claim they were tired, injured or else only to avoid putting the national jersey. So, although the club owners are primary culprits, the players, individually and as collective, are not without the blame.

IHF Member
    I just wonder if the NBA will soon follow suit and pull out of Olympic participation.
    Even though the NBA has not been as seriously inconvenienced as the NHL has by allowing its players to participate, nevertheless, a number of owners,most notably Mark Cuban, have been very outspoken over their objections to being in the games.

IHF Member
    Basketball doesn't have the problem of interrupting the NBA season in order to play at Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    Basketball doesn't have the problem of interrupting the NBA season in order to play at Olympics.
    I don't think the NBA season is impacted. It's played in the off season

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ref72 View Post
    I don't think the NBA season is impacted. It's played in the off season
    That's true but nevertheless, there are a growing number of NBA owners who are disenchanted with the whole Olympic thing.
    Mark Cuban, as I mentioned previously, is the most vocal dissenter.
    They have basically the same two issues as the NHL owners.
    First, what are they getting in return for allowing their assets to play (not much in their view).
    Secondly, there is still the same risk of injury to the players.
    Indiana player Paul George suffered a severe leg injury while playing in a FIBA World Cup pre tournament game.
    That got the attention of several NBA owners.
    Like the NHL, the bloom is off the rose for Olympic participation for a number of owners, who are far less enthusiastic about it than the players.

IHF Member
    In the end, it's all about the money. If a player wants to play for his national team, he is going to put this into his contract and would most probably had to give something in return. Most of the players would rather skip playing for their countries in order to get more money from their contracts.

does anyone believe the rumors reported by TSN at the WC's that there is still an opening for the NHL to participate in 2018? My heart wants to say a definitive "yes" but my head is shaking "no".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information