Thread: Hockey on Premier Sports TV

Hockey on Premier Sports TV

People might already know but here is the deal with NHL on TV in the UK.

The rights was lost by ESPN and picked up by Premier Sports. You need a sky box but don't need a sky subscription to view it. The channel cost £7.99 per month and you can cancel after 2 payments. They have the rights for upto 15 live games per week aswell as all the 'as-live' repeats.

I cancelled ESPN and got Premier Sports as soon as it was announced. So far so good!
    Dinamo Riga | Manchester Phoenix | Boston Bruins | Lokomotiv 7th September 2011

IHF Prospect
    The only downfall is that the channel is not avaliable in HD.

No there is no HD but NHL Gamecentre which I decided to try and thus cancelled Premier Sports because of does. 'pricey' at £15 per month but you can watch EVERY game for your team which is nice. Now AHL hockey is shown live on ESPN America which is interesting to watch, that tells me there is call for hockey on the channel and NHL will probably return?
    Dinamo Riga | Manchester Phoenix | Boston Bruins | Lokomotiv 7th September 2011

IHF Prospect
    I dont think hockey will return to ESPN as they have sold the rights for something like the next 5 years or something like that.

Great Britain

The IIHF and Premier TV announced today that their deal has been extended to 2017

http://www.iihf.com/de/home-of-hocke...ash=a87146b11f

The renewed multi-platform agreement spans 2014 to 2017 and covers 15 games from the annual IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship, shown in full length on Premier Sports. In addition, all Great Britain’s national ice hockey team games at the IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship and/or Division I Group A and B will be aired in full length across the UK and Ireland. For 2014, Team Great Britain is competing in Division I Group B, which is held from 20 to 26 April in Vilnius, Lithuania.

Bruno Marty, Infront’s Executive Director Winter Sports, said: “It is a great sign of sustainable expansion that the IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship is now accessible in a European core market for the long-term. With the two-prong approach, fans will be able to follow both their British national team as well as the top games of the annual IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship.”
    Not being familiar with the UK TV scene, is this good news for hockey fans? Will this platform allow for growth of the game, or does this only help the hockey fans? I see that the HD issues brought up a couple of years ago is no longer an issue.

On a side note, how was hockey coverage during the Olympics?
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    Just saw this:
    http://onepuckshort.wordpress.com/20...chi/#more-1106

Basically, it seems that the many people were complaining about the BBC pulling away from the games early to show other British athletes (which is expected) but then not getting back to hockey.
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

The IIHF and Premier TV announced today that their deal has been extended to 2017

http://www.iihf.com/de/home-of-hocke...ash=a87146b11f

Not being familiar with the UK TV scene, is this good news for hockey fans? Will this platform allow for growth of the game, or does this only help the hockey fans? I see that the HD issues brought up a couple of years ago is no longer an issue.

Now you've read how the Hockey coverage was during the Olympics :P If you watched on the website/app it was fine, although some games had no commentary either.

Good news from Premier Sports though. They did state, during the NHL Lockout they would show all of the KHL "regardless if the NHL starts again" - that didn't happen, so it's nice to see them add the World Champs to their coverage. The channel is very niche. NHL, British Ice Hockey, NASCAR, Irish football, Rugby and so on but hopefully it will tempt more hockey fans to buy the channel and then in turn they might add even more hockey on there.

During the lockout NHL they did a poll on their facebook to ask which league should they should - KHL, Swiss, Swedish, Finnish or Czech I think, KHL would but if they have access to all them leagues games they should add some more.

Just saw this:
    http://onepuckshort.wordpress.com/20...chi/#more-1106

Basically, it seems that the many people were complaining about the BBC pulling away from the games early to show other British athletes (which is expected) but then not getting back to hockey.
    THIS was SO ANNOYING!! Yeah they showed all the final game, but they obviously would do! The BBC has to show hockey on TV once every 4 years and they still couldn't do it. One of the games I was watching switched to the Womans speed skating, fair enough it had a British woman in it, but it takes what 3 mins at most, then carried on with snowboarding or something. I ended up having to watch all the Hockey on the BBC Sport app - which is annoying!
    Dinamo Riga, Manchester Storm

IHF Prospect
    Premier sports are trying, it's now at 15 Nhl games a week (some are delayed broadcast) regular season.
    And they do as many play off matches as possible nearly them all.
    15 games of elite world champs and the five British games in division 1b
    EIHL and SHL gets a live broadcast every week if they can.squeeze them.among
    Their other sports. And the champions.hockey.league 25 games live including.
    All British teams games which will be eight games.

And BBC coverage of ice hockey has and will always be awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogaldorn View Post
    Premier sports are trying, it's now at 15 Nhl games a week (some are delayed broadcast) regular season.
    And they do as many play off matches as possible nearly them all.
    15 games of elite world champs and the five British games in division 1b
    EIHL and SHL gets a live broadcast every week if they can.squeeze them.among
    Their other sports. And the champions.hockey.league 25 games live including.
    All British teams games which will be eight games.

And BBC coverage of ice hockey has and will always be awful.
    I appreciate they are trying but they are still horrible at it, getting better each year though. Although they really need to either 1. replace murphy as commentator or 2. get somebody else to commentate with him. He can't pronounce anything that isn't a Canadian name!

IHF Prospect
    After first two games v Shl lose 19-3 outshot
    about 110-28.

Kinda wish premier didn't show our teams lol
    Hopefully the fact the tv channel is interested
    And we do fill our home games. Will offset these
    Lopsided scores. I'd hate to see them consider
    Elite league to be so poor on ice, that we simply lose
    The c license invites... I certainly doubt we will get two places with Belarus and Danish wins already in bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogaldorn View Post
    After first two games v Shl lose 19-3 outshot
    about 110-28.

Kinda wish premier didn't show our teams lol
    Hopefully the fact the tv channel is interested
    And we do fill our home games. Will offset these
    Lopsided scores. I'd hate to see them consider
    Elite league to be so poor on ice, that we simply lose
    The c license invites... I certainly doubt we will get two places with Belarus and Danish wins already in bag.
    I also hate it because a single game pass from the CHL website is like £5! I don't want to have to Sub to Prem Sports all the damn time!!

Thread Information