Thread: History of Danish Eliteserien-Superisligaen

Denmark History of Danish Eliteserien-Superisligaen

Hi Danish folks,

eurohockey.com states, that the danish elite league was called:

from 1954 to 2005: Eliteserien
    from 2005 to 2007: Oddset Ligaen
    from 2007 to present: AL-Bank Ligaen

But if also found names like Superisligaen, Superligaen.
    Can somebody help me with these names?
    When was which one used? (Officially?)

Thanks

C.
    Dresdner Eislöwen - Buffalo Sabres - HC Davos - Dynamo Moscow - EC VSV

I am not 100% sure, but I believe that the leagues non-sponsor name is "Superisligaen". "Oddset Ligaen" and "AL-Bank Ligaen" where/are the leagues sponsor names.

I have never heard the league refered to as "Superligaen" though - that is the name of the top danish Football league.

IHF Member
    According to my father's old yearbook's from the early 1980s, the top tier league was called 1st Division. The earliest edition I have is from 1982 but in the 1987 edition, the top tier league is named Eliteserien. I do not know when the federation changed the name but it is somewhere between 1984 and 1987.

Sources: the annual yearbooks from the Danish Ice Hockey Federation (DIU), edition 1982/83, 1983/84 and 1987/88.

Thanks for your help,

so I suppose the following:
    * 1. division 1960 - 1986 (+/- 1 year)
    * Eliteserien 1986 - 199x
    * Superisserien 199x - today

I also contacted the danish federation (DIU), lets see if they respond.

C.

Denmark found the answer

Thanks to Mr. Henrik Hansen and a book I got the answer to my question:

According til the book Fra pionerånd til verdensklasse, published by the Danish Icehockey Association on occation of its 60th anniversary, the best Danish league was named "1. division" from 1960/61 until 1984/85. The first season of "Eliteserien" was 1985/86. In the seasons 1985/86 to 1991/92, the top 4 teams from "Eliteserien" progressed to the medal games, either a round-robin or semifinals and finals series.

From season 1992/93 the top six teams of the Eliteserien progressed to the post-season, consisting of a six team home-and-away round-robin (called "Superisligaen") followed by semifinals and so on for the top 4 teams of the Superisligaen. In 1994/95 the format of Superisligaen was changed to two groups of three teams instead of one group of six teams, from which the two group winners progressed to the final. Only two seasons later, the format of Superislagen was once again changed back to one group of six teams, where all six teams progress to the newly instated quaterfinals. This format also existed only two seasons. To sum up, from 1985/86 to 1997/98, the regular season was named Eliteserien, and the group play of the post-season was called Superisligaen.

In 1998/99 the elite icehockey league changed its name to "Codan Ligaen" (for sponsorship reasons), from which the top 8 teams progessed to the Codan Ligaen quaterfinal groups (two groups of four teams), from which the top two teams in each group qualified for the semifinals. This format continued for several seasons, although the name was changed for sponsorship reasons (from 2001/02: Sanistål Ligaen, from 2002/03: SuperBest Ligaen). In 2003/04 the quarterfinal groups were abandoned, and instead the top 8 teams from the SuperBest Ligaen qualified for the quaterfinals. From 2004/05, the league was called Oddset Ligaen, and since 2007/08 the name has been AL-Bank Ligaen. --Henrik Hansen 23:07, 29. Nov. 2011 (CET)
    Thanks a lot to Mr. Hansen!

Canyonero

Thread Information