Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Israeli National Team

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    Israel lost the second game in Vienna 5:7 against HC Breclav who played with mostly U20 players and a handful of seniors. Game was way more intense than yesterday, plenty of penalties, a fight and a good deal of hitting. The Sherbatov line carried Israel while the Czechs had 3 quite equal lines.good test for Israeln, especially for the more physical side of the game.
    RexKramer, Is it possible to get the score sheets from both games?

Also, in the HC Brecalv game, Israel had a Penalty Kill for 10 minutes in the 3rd penalty where every thing seemed to be called against them. Amazingly, Breclav only got one goal during that time, which they scored with only 20 seconds left of the final penalty. The team looks good and Team Spirit is very high at this point. The team is hoping for big things in Bulgaria. Will be fun to watch.

IHF Staff
    The Israelis have the game sheets, I will make copies when I meet them in 30' to take them to the airport and then make them available. Concerning the penalties in the games against Breclav, they were basically well called. When things massed up we lost track of who would get back in when (no one of us who administered the game has too much experience in that, we're just players) which caused some confusion unfortunately. Israel defenseman Ron Oz then had his second highlight of the game (after the fight in the first break ;-) when he was the only one who still saw through how to correctly resolve the penalties. We didn't listen to him however ;-)

Is Dan Bochner playing for Israel this tournament?

No

Why not?

Even so, we have a decent top six on 'D' for this level.

And we have three lines that can score at this level as well.

The IIHF site shows only Amromin as being on our roster in goal.

Yep and maybe just maybe Gusin

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?uzcvzj

IHF Member
    So no Daniel Erlich?

Gusin is coming Monday

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?vwbvcm

What about Avihu?

He is our #1 goalie and was just in Austria.......what the heck is going on?

Not at liberty to talk sorry...text me

I am so disappointed and angry right now that I just can't even talk anymore.

IHF Member
    Israel opens up big time - two goals in just over three minutes.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taldu View Post
    Israel opens up big time - two goals in just over three minutes.
    and China closes up big time... two goals in the last two minutes of the first period, and China takes a 3-2 lead.

IHF Prospect
    firs game CHN - ISR 9 - 5

Guys, there is a whole thread devoted to the Sofia tournament; please feel free to participate in it:

http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...ia-2nd-8th-Apr

IHF Prospect
    OK, other Totonka guy here to answer questions to the best of his ability, and to save Rex some work maybe :)

1) Breclav was a last minute addition, based on some Totonka contacts (hockey world is a small world, you know)

2) VU reinforcements were what I would classify as semi-pro (maybe they get sticks and tape or something, but they have other jobs from what I understand)

Final score for Israel vs VU: 8 to 5 win for Israel.

Breclav beat Israel, it was really close until the end. I forget the exact score though, but it was within 3 if I remember correctly.

Also, Sherbatov is at least AHL fast. I had a shift against him (I play D), and it was great fun. We were happy to have the Israeli team here, and it was probably the most difficult game of the year any of the actual Totonka players had. I never thought playing hobby league in Vienna for 9 games while studying abroad would turn into playing against a national team. I am very impressed with what the Israeli team has done given their political/financial/ whatever disadvantaged situation they have. Great group of guys, and I wish them the best. I hope Israeli hockey continues to surprise people, and I look forward to the day when I can tell the story of our game against them without hearing the question "Israel has a hockey team?"

IHF Prospect
    sorry guys, forgot to read the rest of the thread. dumb american here :P

IHF Prospect
    [QUOTE=David;222532]Wölfie u r not a small man yourself either!

He has chicken legs though! haha

i knew that

IHF Staff
    [QUOTE=dw91;222965]
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Wölfie u r not a small man yourself either!

He has chicken legs though! haha
    Storch legs...as a kayak racer you don't develop these fatty legs. And anyway, in our sprint competition they carried me faster than you my son ;-)

IHF Member
    Not that it matters, but no gamesheets from Austria?

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hckeyguy25 View Post
    Not that it matters, but no gamesheets from Austria?
    I have them at home but I'm gone for the Easter weekend...will be back at my place on Monday and then scan & upload them.

Thanks Wolfgang. And thank you for having Marc (your teammate) contact me....much appreciated.

Any video of the games? Many of us are anxious to see the games if possible.

Especially your shift vs. Sherbatov.

Happy Easter to you and all who celebrate, and Happy Passover to all of our Jewish forum members.

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Thanks Wolfgang. And thank you for having Marc (your teammate) contact me....much appreciated.

Any video of the games? Many of us are anxious to see the games if possible.

Especially your shift vs. Sherbatov.

Happy Easter to you and all who celebrate, and Happy Passover to all of our Jewish forum members.
    Totonka Marc had to get in touch with you as you two share being crazy (playing net I mean), being attorneys and having the same first name ;-) thats too much to be ignored.

The Israelis taped (at least parts) of the games in Vienna, I will try to get some footage. My shift against Sherbatov should be on the tape, you could almost touch his fear when he was skating towards me...looool

IHF Member
    Felix Kozak here, the GM of Israel National Ice Hockey team. I want to thank RexKramer(Wolfgang) for his help in organizing the training Camp for Israel National Team in Vienna. Wolfie put in an enormous effort to organize this, he is a wonderful, caring person who made this possible and I am proud that he and I were able to do this together.
    There are some other people to thank who helped us alot. In Vienna its John Donahue and Nick Deforest.
    In New York, well, I was the biggest sponsor of this training camp, but we also received great help from Dr.Shmerkovich(David), Anatoly Gutman, Igor Moisseenko, Dr Viktor Katz and Leon Golden. Thank you all for your help!!

IHF Member
    I also must regretfully say we received 0 help from the Jewish Communities in Vienna and New York, except for one sponsor, all of the people in New York are part of the Russian community. While there were fliers and advertisements on Israel Consulate web site. Not a single member of Vienna Jewish community and not a single Jewish Organization in Vienna cared enough to attend the games or help financially.

As usual there is an exception our own Marc Brunengraber is one of very few American Jews who donated his money and pr support for this trip and many other causes. This time he made Avihu's trip to goalie camp possible . Thank u Marc!

After trying to ask Jews for donation it's hard not to become anti-Semite - just my opinion formed in the past two years

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?4das2k

Felix likes to forget me for whatever reason. :)

Felix, why aren't you posting under your Felix Kozak account name?

IHF Member
    Marc Brunengraber and David(Dr. Shmerkovich) should be thanked for helping one of the Israel's best goalies prepare for the World Championship and contributing to his ticket purchase. Thank you very much.

IHF Member
    Marc.I lost my login info and reregistered.I sent in a request for a reminder of password many times but didnt get one

OK, I have watched all of the world championship games now except for the Bulgaria game.

The biggest things the team needs to work on are being a little bit more physical, and skating harder, especially backchecking and cycling down low in the offensive zone.

They seem afraid to throw checks and to accept being checked.

But the biggest thing that needs changing is that they coast FAR too much. The offense, with very few exceptions, just floats back, watching from behind the play, as the opposition rushes from their side of the ice into the Israeli zone. That is unacceptable, and can be changed with some simple effort and commitment to backchecking.

Perron should really work on, and stress, backchecking. They need to constantly harass the opposition puck carrier, and cover the other opposition forwards while making sure the opposition defensemen don't sneak in. It's all about skating hard, backchecking, and smart positioning.

The good news is that these things can be taught, and with enough commitment and repetition, can and do become second nature and do not require natural talent.....just hard work and effort. The effort is worth it, though, as constant strong backchecking will seriously cut down on the goals against.

They also need to practice cycling from behind the opposition goal and creating offense from there and in the high slot.

Felix, Wolfgang:

Many of our forum members, myself included, would love to see the videos of the preparation games.

Can you please post it, or post it on YouTube?

IHF Member
    Marc. No one from the Israeli team made a video of exhibition games. Wolfie will know if someone taped it from his friends

IHF Member
    Marc. Its hard to teach hockey culture in three days. also conditioning was an issue for some players. The training camp was 2.5 days
    If you are not in a good shape, that will help some but only some. Chinese and Belgians are all semi or pro players who skate every day. The Bulgarians skated for one month together every day.

No disputing that, Felix. On the other hand, most of the Israelis have been playing for many years, so they should already know how to properly backcheck, or be able to learn with just one or two short practices after being shown the right way to do it by someone like Perron.

I don't think any of Wolfgang's friends taped the prep games....he was under the impression that you guys did it. If they weren't taped, even sharing the scoresheets and photos would be great. The Israeli federation site had a few photos of each game up, so there were obviously photos taken.

Whatever can be shared would be great and much appreciated. Again, all things considered, 2-2-1 at the tournament and 1-1 in the prep games is not so bad.

IHF Staff
    Unfortunately we (Totonka) didn't tape the games, there were no more resources left to take care about that. I know however that ass. coach Dimitri Gromkov taped at least some of the Totonka vs. Israel game. Maybe Felix can get in touch with him to retrieve some material. I have the scoresheets scanned in the meantime whoever wants them to get just pm me and I email them.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    Unfortunately we (Totonka) didn't tape the games, there were no more resources left to take care about that. I know however that ass. coach Dimitri Gromkov taped at least some of the Totonka vs. Israel game. Maybe Felix can get in touch with him to retrieve some material. I have the scoresheets scanned in the meantime whoever wants them to get just pm me and I email them.
    I can second that. Dima definitely had the totonka game taped.

Israel really missed Bochner at this tourney.

Keep this year's core guys, put Sorotzky in goal, and add Birbraer, Oren Eizenman, Alon Eizenman, Dan Erlich, Dan Bochner & Oren Zamir and you have a team that can go to Division I again.

IHF Member
    Israel really missed Bochner at this tourney.

Keep this year's core guys, put Sorotzky in goal, and add Birbraer, Oren Eizenman, Alon Eizenman, Dan Erlich, Dan Bochner & Oren Zamir and you have a team that can go to Division I again.
    O For sure. no question, but will they commit??? and also, how is the team really an Israeli team when over 75% of the team comes from outside of Israel?

As to whether they commit, some may, others probably won't, and others may not be invited.

Would it be a real Israeli team?

Of course.....all of them are real Israeli citizens. Unlike some countries, Israel does not hand out citizenship so imports that play in their national hockey league can play for the national team.

The Eizenmans have family in Israel, and their father spent half of his life there. Birbraer and his family lived there for years. Zamir lives there full time and always has, except for a few years spent in Canada. Not sure about Erlich and Bochner's families, but given that both players have dual citizenship, I bet both have family there. Erlich's dad emigrated to Canada from Israel, where he spent decades.

I said it before and I'll say it again future of Israeli hockey is division Iii at best or abyss, for various reasons which I cannot disclose in public but people close to hockey community know

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?tfoepk

The issues will get sorted out eventually, David. It will just take time, as all such matters do.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I said it before and I'll say it again future of Israeli hockey is division Iii at best or abyss, for various reasons which I cannot disclose in public but people close to hockey community know

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?tfoepk
    I know you can't say, but how serious are the problems? From what I know, the federation is making strides, and projects are being talked about in the center of the country (for a new rink). How bad is it?

IHF Member
    As to whether they commit, some may, others probably won't, and others may not be invited.

Would it be a real Israeli team?

Of course.....all of them are real Israeli citizens. Unlike some countries, Israel does not hand out citizenship so imports that play in their national hockey league can play for the national team.

The Eizenmans have family in Israel, and their father spent half of his life there. Birbraer and his family lived there for years. Zamir lives there full time and always has, except for a few years spent in Canada. Not sure about Erlich and Bochner's families, but given that both players have dual citizenship, I bet both have family there. Erlich's dad emigrated to Canada from Israel, where he spent decades.
    I guess, which is something I overlooked, as long as they have citzenship it doesn't matter if they are living in Israel currently or not. If we get half the players you mentioned for next years team, they will win the division.

Where will it be next year, china or New Zealand???

IHF Member
    If everyone comes there is a chance to win the Division. However chances of everyone coming are very slim. When was the last time that Birbraer or Erlich came?! Gusin was very strong in net. I am sure Sorotzki has good potential also. Only two or three Israeli based players were able to compete at this level. But its understandable the league that they play in is very weak. The Canadian based players compete at a much higher level of competition. The level of Israeli based and trained players is indeed third division. Its not their fault, they are good players and good people but they have one rink that is not very excessible, no proper funding and no competition. The league is very week. Look at the other countries! Turkey has multiple rinks, pays its players and pays import players. Israel can compete at a high level by using its foreign based and trained players and hope that all key players show up.
    Even if Israel will build three rinks in Tel Aviv tomorrow, it will take it 10 years to prep high level players for International Competition.

IHF Member
    Marc. Unfortunatly i dont have excess to any of the protocols of Vienna games. All I can tell you ALL THE GOALS WERE SCORED BY THE FIRST LINE except one was scored by Ron Oz

Even one world class hockey rink with seating for a couple of thousand people in Tel Aviv, where the league could hold its games, the teams could get practices (even once or twice per week each), and the national team could train, would revolutionize Israeli hockey for the better. The league could drastically improve its level in such a scenario, and between a Tel Aviv rink and the Metulla rink, you could have a 20-25 game season, and perhaps even attract sponsors and/or get the big multi-sport clubs involved. If that happens, you could conceivably attract Jewish semi-pro type players from Canada and the USA, who would help teach the local players, and further bring up the level of the league.

Now all we need is a few million dollars to make it happen.

Look, the reality is that the Israeli hockey community does the best that it can, year in and year out, with very limited resources.

Given the one rink in the entire country on the border with Lebanon in the far north that needs to be shared by all of the teams, and that is not even solely devoted to hockey, the resulting lack of available practice time and limited number of games, the lack of sponsors, and the recent internal dissention that is still being looked at by the government, and it is a wonder that the league exists at all, and that the level is as good as it is right now with the top six teams.

The level of the national team, with the dual Israeli-Canadians and dual Israeli-Americans joining the sabras from the Israeli league, is, under the circumstances, a pleasure to see. Make no mistake, the dual citizens are real Israelis, though they may live in Canada and/or the USA now. At least Israel does not hand out passports to every random foreigner with talent (but no true connection to Israel through family) who expresses an interest in playing for Israel, or comes to play in the Israeli league, in an effort to artificially strengthen the national team, like some countries do. The Israeli nats only use true Israelis, and that is a good thing.

While we all dream and pray for better days in the future, we need to take stock and realize that there is a lot to be thankful for. At least there is a thriving league in Israel that tries to improve with the limited ice time and resources available, and a national team program that takes the best of those guys, and combines them with the available dual-nats that are willing to play.
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 27-04-2012 at 06:00.

Marc unfortunately neither me mor Felix have a few mil to spare... Pretty much no one else will give..no donations will come . Literally this year national program survived on pittance given by less than 10 people one of them is you

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?t52v51

The national team program and the national league are both fragile things......but things to be cherished.

Again, David, all true supporters of Israeli hockey cannot thank you and Felix enough.....you are both tremendous, and without you guys, and of course all of the guys on the ground (and the ice) in Israel, there would be no Israeli hockey. My contributions are tiny, but I do what I can, and am proud to do so.

IHF Member
    Marc and David. Thank you so much for the kind words. I did my best and did all I could for the team. I took it upon myself to organize the training camp, the original plan was to do the camp in Sofia. But here came Wolfgang(Rex Kramer) with a proposal to do it in Vienna. I worked on this for months. Wolfgang organized things in Vienna. And we pulled it through. The team was able to play two exhibition games, something that to the best of my knowledge they never did before, before the worlds. We prepared as well as we could, but we came one penalty shot short of a medal and it feels incomplete. What can I say , we all did our best with the limited resources we had. If anyone is curious the cost of the whole training camp and associated expenses was $8,000

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information