Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 2012 Israeli National Team

Told you so....

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Told you so....
    To Which?

IHF Member
    No Korotin at first national team practice. 3 Goalies: Sorotzky, Aharanov, and Loginov. and 14 skaters

Who were the skaters?

IHF Member
    The main national team Israeli guys: Geller, Knitter, Lebedev, Butbol. Some of the younger players that were on the team in Bulgaria Treibochan, Yhoumashav, and Nosankov. some newer faces, some players from Maccabi Metula, 1 from Maa'alot. Been told that there will definitely be a few guys coming from North America, no confirmed named though

Getting close.....do we have a final roster yet?

IHF Member
    I know Korotin is In. And Mazour is In

IHF Member
    David, now I know what you mean by Romania.

First of all, I wish all of the Israeli guys a good tournament.

I will obviously be rooting for them to pull off a miracle.

The reality, though, is that with this roster, they will get routed even by Mexico (whom they beat 5-4 in OT at this year's Worlds with a significantly stronger roster).

This is basically an Israeli League selects team with Mazour and Spivak added to it.

Croatia will beat this roster by 20-25 goals, and Serbia will beat them by 15-20. Mexico will win by about 10.

The sad part is that if they got all of Sherbatov, Erlich, Werek, Birbraer, Oren Eizenman, Alon Eizenman to play, and had Bochner, Avneri and Oz to join Spivak on defense, and dropped Korotin back to defense, they would challenge to win the group.

Even with the roster from this past year's Worlds, or the 2011 Worlds roster from South Africa, they would beat Mexico and give Serbia a good game.

Nice to see IHF member Ben Chernie make his national team debut. I hope he plays well and has a great experience.

Avihu is going to need to play like Henrik Lundqvist to keep the scores within double digits.

Not sure why they are bothering with Olympic qualification if they can't send their top roster, or at least their roster from the past 2 years at the Worlds.
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 15-09-2012 at 07:27.

IHF Prospect
    the team is invited to play, and if they don't, they're fined about 40K-that's why they'll send even a weak team.

Quote Originally Posted by arthur View Post
    the team is invited to play, and if they don't, they're fined about 40K-that's why they'll send even a weak team.
    That's not exactly true. More accurately, nations must apply to participate in qualifications for Olympics, and are only fined if they back out after their application is accepted. There's no requirement for them to apply in the first place, and nobody is told they must participate in Olympic qualifications.

I agree with Steigs it's their initiative- I can't understand how a team who's budget last year was provided by 5 people and is now in DIRE financial situation can be so frivolous with money

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I agree with Steigs it's their initiative- I can't understand how a team who's budget last year was provided by 5 people and is now in DIRE financial situation can be so frivolous with money
    does anyone know when they applied for the Olympic qualification? maybe it was literally 1 or more years ago when they thought they'd have a stronger team?

We also have a discussion of the IIHF Olympic qualification tournament here:

http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...513#post232513

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arthur View Post
    does anyone know when they applied for the Olympic qualification? maybe it was literally 1 or more years ago when they thought they'd have a stronger team?
    That might be it, cause clearly the team needed 1 or 2 more of the better players. But the whole purpose of the tournament was to gain experience for the youth on the team and/or first time players on the national team.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information