Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Israeli National Team

IHF Member

2012 Israeli National Team

The Israeli Ice Hockey Federation is having a training camp for the Israeli National Team.
    The Training camp will be From February 3-4. 4 Practices are scheduled. I don't know
    have the roster for the training camp.
    Last edited by Hckeyguy25; 23-01-2012 at 16:17. Reason: Update

Stanley Cup winning coach Jean Perron, who led Israel to its greatest heights in 2005 and 2006 (i.e., an IIHF Division II championship and an appearance in the IIHF Division I championship), has agreed to return!

Perron will coach the men's 2012 Israeli National Team in its upcoming IIHF Division II (Group B) tournament.

Welcome back, Mr. Perron!

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Stanley Cup winning coach Jean Perron, who led Israel to its greatest heights in 2005 and 2006 (i.e., an IIHF Division II championship and an appearance in the IIHF Division I championship), has agreed to return!

Perron will coach the men's 2012 Israeli National Team in its upcoming IIHF Division II (Group B) tournament.

Welcome back, Mr. Perron!
    And some IHF members are currently working on bringing the ISR team to Vienna/AUT for a short training camp before the tournament in Bulgaria. Preparations are quite advanced, hope we can finalize the deal soon.

As always, the question will be what kind of roster they can ice.....last year's roster from South Africa would possibly be good enough to stay up; I wish the Eizenmans would return to the fold now that the federation has new leadership. Alon and especially Oren would be a giant boost. Getting Erlich would be huge as well. Get all three and they would compete for D.I, though I still think Sorotzky would greatly improve his game by going to a goaltending camp for a week or two in Canada......it would be a worthy investment of funds by the federation that would pay dividends for years to come.

I'm unfamiliar with the plans to bring the team to Austria, though it is certainly welcome news. David hasn't been in contact with me for a couple of months, so I am a bit out of the loop. Any exhibition games planned?

IHF Staff
    Felix approached me in December to help him organize a camp in Austria. I have some contacts in the hockey scene in Vienna and I know a high ranking person in the jewish sports community here. Put these two things together and it's a good starting point. The plan is to have two games, one against a Vienna Hockey Federation selects team and one against my team (Vienna University Totonka probably with some reinforcements). In the days after the weekend we should get to see if it will happen.

Outstanding! I hope it happens......the Israeli men never get exhibition games in before the IIHF events, so that would be a huge help for them.....it would give Perron a chance to get familiarized with players he hasn't coached before, a chance to correct mistakes being made before the tournament starts, and a chance for the players to develop some chemistry and familiarity with each other.

And you playing against the Israeli men's nats?

I expect video.

Of course, when the U18's come to New York this year, I told David I will devote some time to offering goaltending instruction to their keepers, and maybe I'll step in between the pipes for a period or two of one of their exhibition tilts. I can pass for 17, right?

IHF Staff
    Well, I'm in contact with the Vienna Hockey Federation and suggested to put up a Vienna selects team to play against ISR. If they get the best guys from the top Vienna city league it will certainly be a good test for Israel. As a second game I want my team (Vienna University Totonka) to play them. We have 2 quite decent lines with players that have reasonable junior hockey experience but probably we won't stand a chance. Our third line would most likely struggle a lot and if at all I would put myself on the fouth line with a few shifts but I think I would rather do the announcer job ;-)
    And if the game will really happen we will make a video, no worry! As soon as things get more definitive I will keep you updated here.

IHF Member
    Get all three and they would compete for D.I,
    I believe you mean - compete for D.II group A... the system has changed this year. D.II-B is below D.II-A, not parallel to it.

It will only cost tons of money ...

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.691988,-73.978801

If they had all of those guys playing for them for two straight years, they would have a fair chance of advancing to D.I.

Mark they'll be lucky to remain in division ii-b

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.648567,-73.782904

With the roster that played in South Africa last year, yes. It will be a battle between them and South Africa to avoid relegation.

If Sherbatov and/or Mazur don't come, they will be relegated, in my view.

If they had Oren & Alon Eizenman, a healthy Birbraer, Sherbatov, Daniel Erlich & mazur, they would fight for D.I promotion within 2 years.

Of course, if my aunt had b***s, she'd be my uncle.

The last statement invokes general consensus :))
    If, then, what if.... It will be a tough road ahead, Sherbatov is likely, Mazur idk, ehrlich might happen under right circumstances

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.690501,-73.977337

IHF Member
    Unfortunately Max is out for season
    http://www.cardiffdevils.com/news/bi...ut-for-season/

Yeah, I had mentioned Max got hurt in the EIHL thread over in the UK/Great Britain section here at the forums around the time it happened.

Like I said there, it's very unfortunate, and I certainly wish him a speedy and full recovery.

He's a hard-nosed, gritty player with some good scoring touch and it's a shame that he's been hurt so often. He also happens to be a very nice guy and has been a trooper for Israeli hockey in the past when he's been healthy.

Hopefully he can resume his career; he's still only 31 years old.

IHF Member
    Article Up on israhockey.co.il about national team goal Avihu Sorotzky:

http://israhockey.co.il/index.php?op...mid=68&lang=en

IHF Member
    Israel has applied for the 2014 Olympic games in Sochi:

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=92369d68e4

That's a good one

Who's gonna pay for them to go to qualification games???

I hope the hockey program is still there by 2014

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Who's gonna pay for them to go to qualification games???

I hope the hockey program is still there by 2014
    why would they apply if they weren't going to make the qualifying tournament?

My suggestions have been heard - Avihu Sorotzky will attend a week-long goaltending camp in Canada, run by ex-NHL goaltender Kay Whitmore, prior to playing in Bulgaria.

Great news!

Just that short week will really improve his game from a technical standpoint (general positioning, balance, angle coverage, challenging the shooter but getting quickly back into position, stick handling, reading plays as they develop) and make him a better goaltender.

He already has good size and is blessed with a good amount of natural ability and talent, so combine that with the training and I told him I expect him to play like Henrik Lundqvist in Bulgaria.

He promised to try his best to do so.

The biggest thing is, no matter what, to keep your confidence......approach every game like you are going to dominate it, every shooter as if you are going to stop him. And when you do get scored on, forget about it, bounce back, and get ready to make the next save. Keep your confidence high no matter if you are winning by 20 goals, down by 20 goals, or in a tight tie game with 2 minutes left to play.

Good luck to Avihu and the boys in Bulgaria!

IHF Member
    Is the training camp in Austria off?

Its on!!

Sorry giuys , but even I now became skeptical about excistence of Israeli hockey in the future, this season went on pure enthusiasm and sponsor money..

That's every season.

Don't be so negative......we are turning the corner on the down years of 2008-2010.

Unlike most small hockey nations, Israel has an active diaspora that supports the program.

There is virtually no funding from diaspora, I'll call u with details as to why I think this year is so terrible

David, you have to realise that having enthusiastic support for the hockey community in-country is better than some nations have it, and actually having sponsorship is better than many. It could be a lot worse.

So we don't have a Maislin or Greenberg this season.......we will survive.

Again, don't be so negative.

As for the team's fortunes in Bulgaria, it will depend as usual upon who can show up. I am confident that they can stay in Division II and even pull off several wins if they get last year's roster back in its entirety.

You want to know what the real potential problem is? Looming war with Iran, and its proxy sitting just beyond the Metulla fence.....the rink is right in the line of fire. G-d willing it will make it through unscathed.

IHF Member
    So we don't have a Maislin or Greenberg this season.......we will survive.

Again, don't be so negative.

As for the team's fortunes in Bulgaria, it will depend as usual upon who can show up. I am confident that they can stay in Division II and even pull off several wins if they get last year's roster back in its entirety.

You want to know what the real potential problem is? Looming war with Iran, and its proxy sitting just beyond the Metulla fence.....the rink is right in the line of fire. G-d willing it will make it through unscathed.
    That would be the end of Hockey in Israel for a while.

It's not that and war with Iran is the least of conerns, anyway it's internal things, both Maislin and Greenberg are there but the future is very bleak

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.593479,-73.942996

It's always shoestring budgets and internal dissension, David.

It's no different than most of the small hockey countries.

I prefer to stay positive about the program and its prospects for the future.

Its very bad now, very very bad

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.593526,-73.942984

IHF Member
    Israel National Team preliminary roster, no word on final roster announcement:

http://israhockey.co.il/index.php?op...mid=56&lang=en

David, you know I love and respect you tremendously, and count you as a real friend.

With that said, I'm not going to join you in giving in to despair - should we both quit helping? Hell, you do an ENORMOUS amount of work for the federation - it would probably collapse without you - and I help where I can with a tiny bit of money and helping you out over here when invited to do so, plus I use these forums as a worldwide promotional tool for Israeli hockey, as you know.

Should I shut the Israeli forum here down?

Seriously - tighten your skate laces, and don't give up.

As for the preliminary roster, it looks pretty solid.

If they could actually get Oren Eizenman, Sherbatov, Erlich, Mazour, Frenkel and Geller, that's a very solid top six on offense.

As for goal, who will start? Gussin or Sorotzky? Not sure Gussin can do it anymore at nearly 44 years of age.

We should be OK on defense as well if we get Spivak, Bochner, and Oz.

IHF Staff
    Guys, pls give me an idea how realistic it is to that the big guns on this roster will actually show up in Vienna for the 3 day training camp I am organizing. I need to know what caliber of team we can expect here in order to put together an appropriate "Vienna selects" squad for the first test game. Let your expertise flow!

David, if you know, please either answer Wolfgang here in this thread or via PM.

Wolfgang, you may also want to PM Ben Chernie - he posts here as TheSwoosh101 and is listed on the Israeli preliminary roster.

About Polar Bear strength at best

Which players are coming to Austria? Any of the top guys?

IHF Member
    Which players are coming to Austria? Any of the top guys?
    and what are the dates for Austria?

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hckeyguy25 View Post
    and what are the dates for Austria?

Team arrives on Fri March 30. and plays a "Vienna Selects" team in the evening. Practice on Saturday morning, Sat evening (19:30) games against Vienna University Totonka. Sunday morning practice and then off to Bulgaria.

Vienna Selects team will be put together by the Vienna Hockey Federation and consist of players from various teams of the Vienna City League and players from the Silver Capitals (farm team of the Vienna Capitals).

Is it true Daniel Erlich no longer holds an Israeli citizenship?

I have not heard anything about it. If true, it would be a surprise to me.

It's Werek not Erlich

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.593526,-73.943007

Eliteprospects.com claims that Erlich is only a Canadian citizen now.

Again, I have heard nothing to substantiate that.

IHF Staff
    Should anyone be around Vienna this weekend drop by ;-)

isr_flyer_small1.jpg

So a Czech team is now one of the opponents, and the Vienna City Selects are out?

What happened, and what level is this Czech team? Pro? Semi-pro? Amateur?

IHF Staff
    Vienna selects are out (long and frustrating story)...Breclav plays in the 2nd division in CZE (3rd level) but they will mainly use junior players and just a couple of the seniors. Totonka got half a dozen players from 1 or 2 leagues above our level as reinforcement and I hope we will be a good test for the Israelis. But the big challenge is without doubt HC Breclav.

Well, this forum is for story time.

How did Breclav get involved? Are the reinforcements for the VU team amateurs or semi-pros?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information