Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: European Champions Cup - Discussion

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIN
    Will ya go there in January during the ECC???
    Ya, sure. We'll see a very interesting city and (I hope) a very amazing tournament :023:

Dynamo Moscow players have received ECC winners rings!!!

Today players of Dynamo, Moscow have received the RINGS of the ECC '2006 WINNERS!!! :023: Personal rings, made of white gold with diamonds were presented on the Dynamo training base in Novogorsk.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Keep nothing in your house that you can't use or don't find beautiful" W.Morris :smart:

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grazza
    I think the European Champions Cup should be decided upon by the standard of the top 7 leagues in Europe and not just world rankings of national teams.

Current by far in my opinion that is:
    Russia, Sweden, Finland, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Germany, Slovakia

I think the final 8th placed team should go to the Continental cup winners. Also I would not allow any of the above 7 nations to have a team in the continental cup. The best of the rest would join these 7 teams making 8 and there could be 2 groups of 4.

Ideally I would like the host to be rotated ever year. So say in russia one year then in germany the next and so on. having it in St Petersberg every year gives Russian teams an advantage and is quite a trek for all the other teams.
    I like this idea, it is similar to what I was thinking about. It would expand the ECC and give the Conti Cup more meaning. I also believe the round robin should be played at the home team's arenas. It would raise more interest and probably get better attendance that way. Then have the final knockout stage in a predetermind arena. (Such as St. Petersburg.)

This has great potential, and I wish the IIHF would recognize it. Maybe you should send them your ideas. :smart:

I like the idea, the only problem could be that you won't be playing over just one extended weekend. The teams might not take too kindly towards extra intrusions into their league schedule. Maybe they could have the format grazza devised, just playing the tournament so it ends a week before the regular seasons begin?
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHWC Draw for the ECC 2008

Results of the draw for the last edition of the European Champions Cup:

Alexander Ragulin Division (A)
    Metallurg Magnitogorsk
    Slovan Bratislava
    MODO Örnsköldsvik

Ivan Hlinka Division (B)
    Kärpät Oulu
    HC Davos
    Sparta Prague

The winner of the tournament will meet an NHL team in the new Victoria Cup in fall 2008. The prize sum for the ECC 2008 will be 850,000 Swiss francs.
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

IHWC The winner takes it all!!!

MoDo has serious plans for ECC, but I hope good tradition for russian teams will continue, and we'll see TRADITIONAL Final: Kärpät vs Russian team!!! :)

This Tournament will be held from January, 10 till January, 13 2008. The winner will play with Montreal Canadians on Victoria Cup in September 2008.
    "Keep nothing in your house that you can't use or don't find beautiful" W.Morris :smart:

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    Go Metallurg go!!!!!
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

Quote Originally Posted by DIN View Post
    MoDo has serious plans for ECC, but I hope good tradition for russian teams will continue, and we'll see TRADITIONAL Final: Kärpät vs Russian team!!! :)

This Tournament will be held from January, 10 till January, 13 2008. The winner will play with Montreal Canadians on Victoria Cup in September 2008.
    I too hope for a traditional final but also for an untraditional outcome from it! :-)

In the draw conference Kärpät's GM Juha Junno made a proposition that according to the original plan both of the finalists would get to play in the Victoria Cup. A lenghty conversation ensued between the club leaders and IIHF. No decisions were made but IIHF is going look into it.

Anyway, I have heard a rumor that the Victoria Cup is going to be played in Bern, Switzerland. I find this a bad decision. It should be clear that to get the best out of the game (minitourney?), it should be played in the ECC winners home arena. If that arena is not suitable (too small), the closest big arena should be used. If for example Kärpät would win and play in Victoria Cup, the game could be organized in Hartwall Areena if the Oulu arena wasn't big enough. Thousands of Kärpät fans would travel to Helsinki to watch the game as opposed to a couple of hundred that would travel to Switzerland. It would be better for media exposure, fans and the participating European club that the game was played in their home country. I am sure the NHL team doesn't care where in Europe they play.

BTW. is it certain now that Montréal Canadiens is going to be the NHL team? A good pick, IMO.
    "Only if we lose."

IHWC

Quote Originally Posted by Shardik View Post
    I too hope for a traditional final but also for an untraditional outcome from it! :-)
    Let's wait!!! Will you visit St. Petersburg? I wanna go there!!!

... Anyway, I have heard a rumor that the Victoria Cup is going to be played in Bern, Switzerland. I find this a bad decision. It should be clear that to get the best out of the game (minitourney?), it should be played in the ECC winners home arena. If that arena is not suitable (too small), the closest big arena should be used...
    I don't think it'll be good, 'cos it's not a simple tour or game, but the FIRST Inter-Continental GAME that will start good tradition, so I think Bern is a good decision!!!

BTW. is it certain now that Montréal Canadiens is going to be the NHL team? A good pick, IMO.
    Yes, it was selected!!! I also think it's a good choice!!!

Preliminary rosters announced for the upcoming ECC

IIHF.com has published the preliminary rosters of max 30 players that the ECC squads have to be compiled of.

Alexander Ragulin Division (A)
    Metallurg Magnitogorsk
    Slovan Bratislava
    MODO Örnsköldsvik

Ivan Hlinka Division (B)
    Kärpät Oulu
    HC Davos
    Sparta Prague
    "Only if we lose."

Switzerland

Davos participation becames questionable - the flu epidemic.

Here is the short article from IIHF:

Quote Originally Posted by IIHF.com
    DAVOS, Switzerland - Swiss champion HC Davos is suffering a flu epidemic just a few days before its team’s travel to the IIHF European Champions Cup in St. Petersburg, Russia. While Davos could play the home game against Lugano (1-2 overtime loss) on Friday, today’s road game against HC Fribourg-Gottéron has been cancelled by the league.

A big part of the team is already down with influenza and more diseases are to expect according to Davos’ doctor Gregor Niedermaier and the league’s medical examiner Jean-Claude Kuttel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information