Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Maccabiah Games to feature hockey

2013 Maccabiah Games to feature hockey

For the first time since 1997 and the second time ever, the Maccabiah Games (i.e., the international Jewish Olympics held in Israel) will, in 2013, feature hockey.

Israel will compete with the USA, Canada and France, as it did in the two World Jewish Cups held in 2007 and 2009.

Coaching Canada will be NHL coaching legend Mike Keenan, who, among other things during his long career, led the NY Rangers to the 1994 Stanley Cup championship, as well as leading both the Chicago Blackhawks and Philadelphia Flyers to the Stanley Cup finals.

Here is an article I randomly came across in the Canadian Jewish News by Paul Lungen, reprinted here for educational purposes:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Paul Lungen, Staff Reporter, Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Stanley Cup winner Mike Keenan has agreed to coach Maccabi Canada’s hockey entry at the 2013 Maccabiah Games in Israel.

Keenan will lead a team that is expected to include pros from the AHL and ECHL, as well as NCAA and junior-calibre players. They will face opposition from the United States, France and Israel as Canada tries to repeat its gold-medal performance from 1997 – the only time hockey has been a Maccabiah sport.

“I’m really excited about it. It’s a place I’ve never been,” Keenan told The CJN. “It will be a new experience, a new opportunity to learn about [Israel] first hand. It will be very interesting.”

The addition of Keenan gives Maccabi Canada’s hockey program instant credibility, said Alex Voihanski, general manager of the team and the primary person charged with finding players.

Keenan is a highly respected hockey man whose experience in pressure-cooker situations is second to none. In addition to winning the Stanley Cup with the New York Rangers in 1994, he coached in the finals two other times and was behind the Canadian bench in the 1987 Canada Cup. That was a team that featured superstars Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux and Mark Messier in their prime – arguably the best Canadian team of all time, Voihanski said.

“It is tremendous for us to be led by a coaching legend,” said Team Canada hockey chair Mark Goodman. “Mike has all of the attributes that we were looking for when we started this process, and the players will benefit greatly by having him around.”

Voihanski, who also serves as director of hockey operations for International Scouting Services (ISS), learned of Keenan’s availability through the Rangers. ISS has a relationship with the team, and Keenan is part of the MSG Network’s broadcast crew for Rangers games.

Keenan was contacted and became interested in the Maccabiah Games position as he learned more about the event.

“To get somebody like Mike is off the charts,” Voihanski said. Not only does it enhance the event’s stature, but “it tells young guys it’s a huge event.”

Keenan said visiting Israel is something he has long intended to do. He was a close friend and colleague of Roger Neilson, who for years ran a summer hockey school at the Canada Centre rink in Metulla. “I was asked to go to Israel and participate in the camp with Roger Neilson, but I didn’t have the time,” Keenan said.

Both Neilson and Keenan coached the Peterborough Petes in the OHL at different times and worked together for the St. Louis Blues in the mid ’90s. “We had a longstanding relationship and friendship, and we talked quite a bit about Israel,” Keenan said.

Keenan said he has had ties to the Jewish community since the 1970s. He coached at Toronto’s Forest Hill Collegiate for five years, and made contacts with members of the Jewish community. He remains friends with many. His first wife is Jewish, and his daughter was raised in the Jewish faith.

Keenan’s former mother-in-law was a Holocaust survivor. He said he travelled to Poland in the 1970s and visited the Warsaw Ghetto and Auschwitz after hearing so many of his mother-in-law’s stories about her wartime experiences.

Taking on the coaching position “is an opportunity to give back to a people I’ve been linked to for many years,” he said.

Voihanski believes Keenan’s presence will make it easier to recruit high-end talent. Keenan has lots of contacts in the NHL, and his recommendation about players could make the difference is some careers. “If I want to get noticed, being coached by a legend could open doors,” Voihanski suggested.

Tryouts for the team will be held in Toronto, Montreal and probably Winnipeg, some time in June. The tryouts will be open to anyone, but it appears that successful candidates will have to be something more than good beer league players.

Voihanski has already compiled a list of 72 skaters playing in Europe, as well as in the AHL, ECHL, divisions 1 and 3 in the NCAA, and major junior and tier II junior players.

There’s a wealth of hockey talent in the Jewish community, Voihanski said. “If I’m a player, young or old, I’d be chomping at the bit to become part of the team.”

Some are the 72 who might expect invitations are the likes of the Henrich brothers, Michael and Adam, who are playing professionally in Italy; David Nemirovsky, who retired this year after a career in Moscow playing in the KHL; Jacob Micflikier, one of the leading scorers in the AHL with the Hershey Bears, and a couple of NHLers.

Voihanski believes it will be difficult to recruit NHL players because of insurance issues, but Trevor Smith (Tampa Bay) and Mike Cammalleri (Calgary) will likely be invited, he said.

In 1997 Canada sent a stacked team consisting of pro and major junior players. Coached by Stanley Cup winner Jacques Demers (who won in 1993 with the Montreal Canadiens), it defeated the United States in the gold-medal game.

Voihanski expects the Americans will once again ice a strong team of NCAA players. They’ll be even stronger if several NHLers agree to play, among them Jeff Halpern (Washington), Mike Brown (Toronto) and Dylan Reese (New York Islanders). Mathieu Schneider, who’s been retired for a couple of years, could be enticed to play for the Americans, he suggested.

Rounding out the tournament will be France, which should be able to put together a team with two good lines, as well as Israel.

Also on tap will be a masters tournament for players over 40 and a competition for kids 18 and under. Gary Kalk is in charge of the juniors, while Farrell Miller will put together the masters team, Goodman said.
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 11-03-2012 at 07:01.

Cool!

IHF Prospect

Jewish Hockey Players Unite!!

The 19th International Maccabiah Games will be taking place July, 2013 in Israel.

• 7000 athletes
    • 60 countries
    • 35 sports
    • World’s third largest international sporting competition

The US Men’s National Masters Ice Hockey Team
    is looking for players to join Team USA.

Tryouts are ongoing and the next opportunity will be held March, 2013 in Philadelphia. You must be Jewish, American and 40 or over as of December 31, 2013.

Currently, most of the Masters team’s slots have been selected but there are a few left. Some college hockey experience is expected along with currently playing on a team (e.g. adult hockey league).

This is highly competitive international hockey. Team Canada’s open team will be coached by former NHL Coach Mike Keenan and the Canada Masters team will be led by NHL coaching legend Jacques Demers.

The Maccabi USA Ice Hockey website is: http://www.maccabiusa.com/seclect-a-...ce-hockey.html

The Maccabi USA website is: http://www.maccabiusa.com/index.php

For further questions, feel free to email me at ematts (AT) aol.com

Thanks,
    Matt

This is apparently Canada's roster for the tournament.

I can see them absolutely destroying French team by a double digit margin. If Israel gets all of their top players, they may be competitive. If not, they'll get routed by double digit scores as well. As for the Americans, I can't comment until I see their roster.

Here’s Team Canada’s complete roster:

Centers:

Andrew Calof, Princeton University (NCAA D.I); Daniel Radke, Lake Superior State (NCAA D.I); Trevor Smith, Wilkes-Barre Penguins (AHL); Dylan Smoskowitz, Mississauga Steelheads (OHL).

Wingers:

Daniel Erlich, University of Western Ontario (CIS); David Friedmann, Robert Morris University (NCAA D.I); Adam Henrich, Alleghe HC (Italy Serie A); Michael Henrich, Dorbirn EC (EBEL); Zachary Hyman, University of Michigan (NCAA D.I); Cory Pecker, Sheffield Steelers (EIHL); Benjamin Rubin, Brest Albatros (France D.I); Eric Satim, Knoxville Ice Bears (SPHL); Noah Schwartz, London Nationals (Canada Junior A).

Defensemen:

Ori Abramson, Providence College (NCAA D.I); Casey Fazekas, Morrum Gois (Sweden - not sure which league); Matthew Herskovitz, Providence College (NCAA D.I); Spencer Hyman, Hamilton Red Wings (Canada Junior A); Oriel McHugh (retired pro player); Brendan Schwartz, London Nationals (Canada Junior A); Zach Sternberg, Lake Superior State (NCAA D.I).

Goalies:

Daniel Altshuller, Oshawa Generals (OHL); Cody Rosen, Clarkson University (NCAA D.I).

Wow, that roster would not even be totally out of place at the IHWC Division 1A.

Morrum Gois play in the Swedish Division 1 - just below Allsvenskan - by the way :-)

Eliteprospects has Casey Fazekas playing in the Dutch League though:
    http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=49702

Calof is Jewish? Didn't know (not that it mattered anyway). I remember watching him play for the Nepean Raiders in Junior A, he absolutely dominated games. By which I mean, he could have been a first-line guy in the OHL with the skills he had at the time. And moving on, I can only imagine his skillset has improved further.
    He's quite good not just with the puck, but without it as well. And a NCAA D1 better-than-point-per-game scorer, he's no slouch.

Erlich suiting up for Canada, eh? Marc, that's gotta smart a bit.

And Altschuller in goal for Canada... there's a Nepean Raiders connection here! I like it.

I'm not at all familiar with Calof......apparently he is a Canadian Jew. ;)

As for Erlich.......he's a dual nat; he can choose Canada or Israel in this event. I would of course have preferred him to play with the blue and white. It would have helped Israel enormously.

If the Israelis get Birbraer, Oren Eizenman, & Sherbatov, and if they can convince a still relatively young Alon Eizenman to play, and also get Spivak, Mazour, Frenkel, Avneri, Oz, Korotin, and perhaps convince Casey Russell to play, they could possibly be competitive enough to avoid getting blown out. That lineup would depend on the aforementioned guys really having a desire to compete in the Maccabiah Games, which is at least conceivable. If Israel ices the equivalent of an IIHF D.III or borderline D.IIB squad, it will quickly get ugly unless Iron Mike orders his players to make it look nice.

From the Canadian Maccabiah's team's blog:

The coaching staff for Maccabi Canada’s men’s hockey team is set.

Greg Gilbert and Mike Pelino have been named assistants to head coach Mike Keenan.

Gilbert won Stanley Cups as a player with the New York Islanders and New York Rangers. He has coached in the NHL with the Calgary Flames, and was recently named OHL Coach of the Year for his work with the Saginaw Spirit.

Pelino has coached in the NHL with Florida and New York, and is the current head coach of the Peterborough Petes in the Ontario Hockey League (OHL). Pelino has also coached Team Canada at the World Junior Championships and the World Championships, and was an assistant with the gold-medal-winning team at the 2002 Salt Lake Winter Olympics.

“There are NHL teams that would be envious of a coaching staff like this,” said Team Canada hockey chair Mark Goodman. “I can’t say enough about the staff that Mike Keenan and GM Alex Voihanski have put together.”

Also from the same blog, here are excerpts from an article written by Lester Glantz, reprinted here for educational use:

When ‘Iron Mike’ (Keenan), Canada’s newly minted head coach for the 2013 Maccabiah, marches alongside his new Maccabi Canada teammates, coaches and personnel into a jam-packed Teddy Kollek Stadium in Jerusalem on July 18, 2013, the emotion of the moment will be etched into a career filled with successes and memories.

Keenan, currently an analyst for the New York Rangers on MSG Network, was very reflective as he summarized his decision to coach a Jewish hockey team in what has been called the third largest gathering of athletes, behind the Olympic Games and the World Student Games.

Though not Jewish himself, the Bowmanville, Ontario native’s first wife is Jewish, as is his daughter and grandchild. And his exposure to Jewish culture through family ties has given Keenan more than just a cursory overview of Jewish life.

A visit with extended family to Poland in the early ‘70s was an eye-opener for Keenan as they explored the sites and history of the Warsaw Ghetto and Auschwitz. He was very close with his mother-in-law, a Holocaust survivor, and, while she usually didn’t say much about those unforgettable years in the war-ravaged country, she spoke at length with Keenan about it during their trip. “It really had an impact on me,” he intimated.

When Keenan touches down in Israel for the 19th Maccabiah, it will be his first trip to the Holy Land, a chance to see where many of the Jewish diaspora called home after statehood in 1948, and a chance to give back to a community he has been part of for many years.

Though Keenan had some knowledge of the Maccabi movement, it was Keenan’s long-time involvement with the hockey fraternity that led Alex Voihanski, general manager of the Maccabi Canada men’s hockey team, to put forward the proposal.

“I had no prior relationship with Mike,” said Voihanski, who also serves as Managing Director of JCC Chai Sports and director of hockey operations for International Scouting Services (ISS). He said good contacts, through former Israel Ice Hockey Chairman Alan Maislin, ISS, and good timing were key to Keenan accepting the position.

As for preparation and familiarity with the other competing teams and players from Israel, France and the United States, Keenan added, “We’ll do our homework. We’re not going into this blind.”

“It’s a short tournament. You have to concentrate on your own team.”

The first and last time hockey was included in the Maccabiah was in 1997 when Canada sent a team coached by Jacques Demers (Montreal Canadiens) and took the gold medal against the United States.

Keenan’s credentials speak volumes about the international experience he brings: As National Team Head Coach in 1987 and in his dual role as General Manager and Head Coach in 1991, Keenan led Team Canada to two Canada Cup victories. His international career also includes head coaching jobs with Team Canada at the 1980 World Junior Championships and the World Championships in 1993.

Voihanski expects there will be a short training camp before the team packs its bags for Israel. As for the pre-camp that will allow most other Canadian athletes and coaches to experience Israeli culture prior to the start of competition, just how much exposure remains up in the air for the hockey team.

With the Metulla Canada Centre situated in Northern Israel, boasting a breathtaking view of the Upper Galilee, and roughly three hours from Jerusalem, Keenan said he wasn’t sure about how much time there will actually be to take in the sights and sounds. “We will have an orientation camp and hopefully some time for travelling,” he said.

“I am looking forward to it,” added Keenan about the Maccabiah, which, for some participants, will be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. “It’s an exciting event. I am hoping that players get an exceptional cultural experience.”

He also follows a trail blazed by many big-name NHLers, such as Jacques Demers, Jean Beliveau, Jean Perron and the late Roger Neilson. All have visited Metulla to coach and promote the sport. Future involvement after the games is something that Keenan has thought about as well. “If I can help out I would be glad to,” he said. “Hockey has been good to me.”

Speaking from a New York City hotel just prior to the start of the Senators – Rangers playoff series, Keenan said the Maple Leaf is always close to his heart. “You’re always proud to represent your country,” he said.

When asked about the chances of Maccabi Canada winning, he responded in a soft, but telling tone, “Not to be bold, but it’s fair to say it’s not an unrealistic expectation (to win).”

IHF Member
    I wouldn't be surprised if Gary Kalk (Junior team organizer)'s son Corey isn't on Canada if they have an extra spot. Kid had a great year in Tier II this past season and is committed to Darmouth in D1.

IHF Member
    Any News on US roster? How many teams?

I have looked and looked but can't seem to find final rosters for the Canadians or the Americans. I did see a preliminary roster for the USA a while back (can't remember where), but I didn't recognize any of the names, and it appeared very weak.

Israel, from what I understand, will be icing a weak roster......much like their Olympic qualifying roster from this past year.

I have absolutely no idea about the French roster.

Sad that an event of this prestige would get such weak rosters (except for Canada, it seems). The Maccabiah gets a huge amount of attention in Israel, and if the teams all sent top quality rosters (as they did in the first World Jewish Hockey Championship, a/k/a the World Jewish Cup, back in 2007), the sport might get a really good amount of publicity amongst the Israeli public. Even American and Israeli rosters of the strength they each offered in the second World Jewish Cup from 2009 would be great.

Canada, if they come with the preliminary roster I posted, will beat everyone else (assuming they send weak rosters as it seems they will) by double digits in an ugly fashion if they bother to try.....which will make the tournament uninteresting. In my view, this is a major failure by the Israeli federation......a prime opportunity to really get the sport some attention in Israel being wasted.

Of course, all of my above commentary might be completely wrong........it all depends on the final rosters, which I haven't seen yet.

A couple of other notes:

The junior event will be a hybrid of true junior (U20) and U18..............it will be a U19 tournament.

There is also a masters tournament for players 40 years of age and older.

That means this year's Maccabiah will have three hockey tournaments.

Hockey Canada has given official sanction to the Canadian Maccabiah teams (unlike the 2007 & 2009 Canadian World Jewish Cup teams). This means that the Canadian teams will be able to wear the exact same jerseys that Canada's Olympic and national teams wear.

IHF Member
    Have the Russians ever sent a team to any of these tournaments?

There was only one Maccabiah that has previously featured hockey, back in 1997. The Russians did not participate.

They did send a team to the 2009 (i.e., second) World Jewish Cup, finishing in last place out of five teams.

The team mostly consisted of players in their mid to late forties.

See here: http://www.internationalhockey.net/f...etulla-Israel)

Here's an article from the Jerusalem Post, indicating that both Russia and Ukraine are sending teams, but not France......very confusing. Frustrating to not be able to get firm information with the tournament only two weeks away.

Anyway, this article states that the owners of six NHL teams, plus Gary Bettman, plus a philanthropist from Los Angeles all contributed money towards renovating the arena in Metula (I know, for example, that new boards were just installed) to help ensure that the Maccabiah ice hockey tournament became a reality. Big thanks to all of them.

http://www.jpost.com/Sports/NHL-owne...rnament-318817

To put this hockey tournament into the context of the Maccabiah Games as a whole, here is a link to a timeline, giving an overview of every Maccabiah since the event's conception in the early 1900's.

http://www.jewishsports.net/the_maccabiah_games.htm

The men's open division (the main event) will feature Israel, Canada, USA, and Ukraine.

The U19 event will be Israel, Canada and the USA.

The men's masters event (40+ years of age) will feature Israel, Canada, USA and Russia.

France was going to send teams but isn't doing so, though I am not sure as to why.
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 09-07-2013 at 04:59. Reason: Corrected age limits of masters event

IHF Prospect
    Will it be televised or live-streamed?

In Israel, the Maccabiah games are televised. Will the hockey games be? Not sure.

I don't believe they will be televised outside of Israel.

I have no idea about live streams. I tend to doubt it. However, I'm willing to bet the games will be taped.

Here is a link to the schedules for the three Maccabiah hockey tournaments (Open, U19, and Masters):

The hockey schedules are on page 34.

http://maccabiah.com/Data/Uploads/ga...le7.pdf#page34

Some news:

Mike Keenan cannot coach Canada, as he has signed on to be head coach of KHL Metallurg Magnitogorsk, and has already been required to start preparations for his new club's upcoming KHL campaign.

However, Canada has replaced him with Guy Carbonneau, the ex-NHL star and Stanley Cup winner, and former NHL coach.

The USA will be coached by NHL analyst and color commentator Billy Jaffe. Jaffe formerly was the captain of NCAA D.I Michigan, and captained the American silver medal winning 1997 Maccabiah hockey team. His assistant coach will be current NHL player Eric Nystrom, son of former Islander legend Bob Nystrom.

Meanwhile, the hockey tournaments....and much of the Maccabiah.....are in jeopardy. Workers in Israel's foreign ministry service are on strike, meaning that athletes from fourteen different countries who require visas to enter Israel cannot get them, as their paperwork cannot be processed due to the strike. This directly affects the Ukrainian and Russian delegations, which obviously would cripple the hockey tournaments. Hopefully this gets positively resolved soon.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/maccabi...lomats-strike/

Regardless of what becomes of the Maccabiah hockey events, one extremely positive thing has happened. The main Israeli hockey rink in Metula (Israel's only full size rink) has been completely refurbished, including new boards and glass imported from Scandinavia, due to the generosity of six NHL owners. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and a Los Angeles philanthropist also contributed out of their own pockets. Here is a rare round of applause for Mr. Bettman.

Link here:

http://www.jpost.com/Sports/NHL-owne...rnament-318817

Interesting 7+ minute video with Mike Keenan. He won't be behind Canada's bench as mentioned above, but he did select the Canadian team after evaluations and camp, so it will have his fingerprints in a sense.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B2UGfzEbJ_A

IHF Member
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1

American Junior team practicing in Holon this morning

IHF Member
    I've been looking for updates regarding the strikes, and who is and who isn't coming. Anyone hear of any news?

IHF Prospect
    Want to watch the ‪#‎Maccabiah‬ Opening Ceremony, but you're outside of Israel? Don't worry! You can live stream the ceremony here: http://www.jltv.tv/ or here: http://sites.one.co.il/maccabia/

Another great article by Paul Lungen of the Canadian Jewish News, reprinted here for educational & discussion purposes:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TORONTO — When Maccabi Canada announced that Mike Keenan would be coaching the Canadian hockey team at the Maccabiah Games this summer, it was expected his reputation would give the program instant credibility and attract top-notch players.

Well, that’s pretty much what happened, but in the last few weeks, Keenan, a 1994 Stanley Cup winner as coach of the New York Rangers, pulled out of the games, as did the rest of his coaching staff.

But the move, made for personal reasons and after Keenan signed to coach in the KHL, didn’t leave Maccabi Canada bereft.

Suspecting Keenan’s personal situation could be an issue – his daughter suffers from cancer – Maccabi Canada developed a back-up plan.

Enter Guy Carbonneau as head coach. A three-time Cup winner with the Montreal Canadiens (1986, 1993) and the Dallas Stars (1999) as a player, Carbonneau was also a coach with the storied Habs franchise from 2006 to 2009, including a stint as head coach.

Wayne Primeau has joined him as his assistant. Primeau played for a number of NHL teams from 1995 to 2010, including Buffalo, San Jose, Calgary, Boston and Pittsburgh. He ended his playing career in Toronto.

At a two-day mini-camp at York University’s Canlan Ice Sports facility earlier this week, Carbonneau got a chance to meet the players and prepare for the tournament. He admitted he’s at somewhat of a disadvantage, joining the team late and not being present at tryouts last year.

“We’ll try to keep things simple at the start, tweak it as we go on,” he said.

He’ll have to strategize for the Olympic-sized rink at the Canada Centre in Metulla, but he’s confident he has the personnel to do so.

“We have guys with good speed, good hands,” he said.

Carbonneau, who captained the Canadiens and was known as a defensive specialist, said, “I always want us to be sound defensively.”

Like the rest of the Maccabi hockey brain trust, Carbonneau is somewhat in the dark as to the level of competition they’ll face. The Americans have a lot of quality NCAA players to draw from, and they recently added Colby Cohen, a 215-pound defenceman who played a handful of games for the Colorado Avalanche and who was one of the Boston Bruins’ “Black Aces” the year they won the Cup.

The host Israelis recently won a gold medal in the International Ice Hockey Federation’s Division II B. Rounding out the tournament will be a team from Ukraine. Little is known about them, except that they replaced a team from France.

The Israeli team is coached by Jean Perron, the man behind the bench of the 1986 Stanley Cup-winning Habs. Carbonneau smiles at the prospect of going up against his old mentor.

“He’s a competitive guy. He always has been,” said Carbonneau. “But so am I.”

Montrealer Alan Maislin, who’s long been associated with hockey in Israel, recruited Carbonneau to Team Canada. He did the same with Perron 10 years ago, asking him to coach the Israeli national team – a task he’s assumed on several occasions.

Doing his due diligence, Carbonneau asked around and heard glowing reports about the Israel experience. One of the people he spoke to was Jacque Demers, who coached the Canadian team at the 1997 games – the only other time hockey was a Maccabiah sport. Demers was the Habs’ coach in 1993, when Carbonneau won his second Cup.

“Everyone had rave reviews about those Olympics,” he said, referring to the Maccabiah, which have been called the Jewish Olympics.

“I expect it to be a great experience for me and Wayne and all the players,” he said. “None of us has had the chance to win a gold medal, so we’re going to try.”

Alex Voihanski, the hockey guru who assembled the Canadian team, said it’s young, fast and skilled, with a sprinkling of veteran talent.

It features a number of professional players from the AHL, ECHL and European leagues, as well as NCAA Division I skaters, some Canadian college players and guys from the CHL.

“Our strength is at forward,” said Voihanski, who is general manager of ISS Hockey (International Scouting Services), in addition to running JCC Chai Sports.

“Our D is strong, but forward is where our strength is. We’re very, very deep and fast with a lot of skill. We’ll develop a lot of speed through the neutral zone.”

Among the forwards highlighted by Voihanski are Adam and Michael Henrich, a brother act who play professionally in Europe; Daniel Erlich, who played for Barrie and London in the OHL and who finished last season playing at the University of Western Ontario; Dylan Smoskowitz, who scored 33 goals for the OHL’s Mississauga Steelheads; Benjamin Rubin, who played in the French pro league with Chamonix; Daniel Radke, third in scoring at Lake Superior State University, and Andrew Calof, Princeton University’s leading scorer and Second-Team All-ECAC all-star.

The defence will be anchored by Olivier Malka, who played with Hamilton in the AHL in 2011-12 and in the ECHL last season, as well as Zach Sternberg from Lake Superior State and Casey Fazekas, who played in the Dutch pro league last season.

Mark Segal of McGill University and the Vancouver Giants, along with Cody Rosen, who played at Clarkson College, are the team’s goaltenders.

Matt Herskovitz, a 23-year-old defenceman from Montreal, said the Maccabiah will mark his second trip to Israel. Four years ago, he played in a hockey tournament in Metulla and loved it.

“It’s always a great opportunity to represent your country,” he said. “Ten years down the line, you may not get that opportunity. You have to appreciate it and not take it for granted.”

For Herskovitz, who played for Clarkson College in the NCAA before switching to Western, said “the guys have been welcoming. It’s a great group of guys.

Playing in the Maccabiah is “a no-brainer,” he added.

Even without Keenan as coach, motivation for the players remains high, Voihanski said.

“They want to represent their country, to play at a high level and be on Team Canada… and win a medal,” he said.

“A lot of these guys are very proud to be Jewish. None of them hide it. A lot of them embrace it.”

They also serve as terrific role models for kids in the Jewish community. A bunch of kids from the JCC Chai Sports hockey program came out on the weekend to watch the guys practice and then skate on the ice with them.

“To see the looks on their faces and the pride to be with these guys,” said Voihanski. “It is all about community.”

Here is a link to the American rosters for their Open, U19 & Masters teams:

http://www.maccabiusa.com/seclect-a-...formation.html

I haven't entered the names of the U19 or Masters players into eliteprospects or hockeydb, so I can't comment on their level of strength.

However, the USA men's (Open) roster looks pretty strong: a mix of current and former NCAA D.I, NCAA D.III, EJHL (American Tier III Jr. A) and ACHA players. The starting goaltender is the current starter for NCAA D.I's Air Force, and the team includes pro defenseman Colby Cohen, who has played in the AHL and has signed for next season with Assat Pori of the Finnish SM-Liiga. There were two or three names that aren't in the databases.

With that said, this team is significantly weaker than the 2007 and even the 2009 American gold medal winning World Jewish Cup rosters, and will likely lose soundly to Canada's entry.

Canada's Maccabiah roster, meanwhile, is much stronger than its 2007 and 2009 World Jewish Cup rosters, even despite not having Josh Tordjman in goal as they did in 2009. Incidentally, McGill University (CIS) goalie Marc Segal, an ex-WHL Major Jr. goalie with the Vancouver Giants, will be joining NCAA D.I goalie Cody Rosen in the Canadian goal from what I understand.

The Israeli team will actually be weaker than the squad that played in the Olympic qualifying tournament this past year. None of the Israeli pros are playing in the Maccabiah.......sad, considering this event gets much, much more coverage than the World Jewish Cups and even the IIHF tournaments in which Israel competes. The Maccabiah games are avidly followed by all of Israel and by Jewish communities worldwide. In fact, most of the Israeli amateur dual-nats are not playing, and Israeli resident and team captain Avishai Geller cannot play due to work commitments.

Israel will have Avihu Sorotzky in goal, but will have Alex Loginov as his partner instead of the ageless Evgeni Gussin.

Only five dual-nats are able to make the trip: Tal Avneri, Ron Soreanu, Isaac Levy, Shlomo Levy and Daniel Mazour. They will all be a huge help, but this Israeli roster is weaker overall than the already weak Olympic qualifying roster, and much, much weaker than Israel's 2011 IIHF D.3 roster and its 2012 and 2013 IIHF D.2B rosters. I am sure they will try their very best, considering the huge stage, but they are, barring divine intervention, going to get beaten soundly by the Americans and absolutely decimated by Canada. Daniel Erlich, a dual nat who made his long awaited return to the Israeli national team this past year in IIHF competition, is playing for Canada in this event. Hopefully they find a way to keep these games respectable, and beat the Ukrainian entry......which I know nothing about.

The U19 (Junior) tournament started today.

To nobody's surprise, Canada routed Israel by an 8-1 score.

I will post videos of each goal shortly, thanks to youtube user Marom99.

Video clips, Canada Jr. 8, Israel Jr. 1

1-0 Canada goal: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wnZJo4W40-I
    This clip shows some point blank saves as well by the Israeli goalie.

2-0 Canada goal: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WLMHRlnVrBE

3-0 Canada goal: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-YlpX8hX9v0

3-1 Israel goal: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7qzH6fSfTms

4-1 Canada goal: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TH_lhEZiBc8

5-1 Canada goal: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AuDJqHhIHOo

6-1 Canada goal: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TaUWj3xIrYM
    Canada got this one due to a bounce off of the referee.

7-1 Canada goal: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xwUJb4242W4

8-1 Canada goal: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N1dDUewetH4
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 20-07-2013 at 03:33.

Hey Marc,

Is it just me, or is the Maccabiah site not listing the athletes participating? Maybe I'm just not finding the right section, but the site seems a bit thin.

Also, since we know nothing of the Ukrainian roster in the Open division, here's an article from Maccabi Hockey Canada's website:

The Canadian boys are in for a real treat tonight when Oleksiy Mykolaiovych "Alexei" Zhitnik suits up for Team Ukraine. Zhitnik has played more games in the National Hockey League than any other Soviet-born defenceman and was a premier player in the NHL. Zhitnik played in 1085 NHL games amassing 471 points including 96 goals.

Wayne Primeau, the assistant coach of team Canada, knows Alexei very well since they were team mates when they played for the Buffalo Sabres.

When asked about Zhitnik, Primeau stated " Zee was a true professional and competitior who brought it each and every day. He had a quiet demeanor about him but was always a leader on the ice. His skating ability was his greatest asset and the boys will be able to see it first hand"

The game starts at 7pm Israel time and you can get the latest up to date scoring details here at www.maccabihockey.com.
    So while Ukraine might not be very deep (or maybe they are, we'll find out), they do have at least one guy who we know what he's capable of.
    Last edited by Steigs; 20-07-2013 at 15:46.

Marc, I looked up the USA Open team..

Colby Cohen is signed to play SM-Liiga next year. Other than that, there's some NCAA DI, DIII, ACHA, EJHL, MAHL, and a few guys who don't appear in Eliteprospects' database. Couple other guys have played minor pro though. I don't think you'll be competing with Canada, but should be strong enough still.
    Last edited by Steigs; 20-07-2013 at 16:15.

Steigs, I am guessing you didn't read post #28..... :)

It's Colby Cohen for the USA......he's signed for Assat next year.

Very interesting bit with Zhitnik; thanks for posting that. Not sure how he's playing since he isn't Jewish. Maybe he has a Jewish ancestor or ancestors?

Either that, or Ukraine just decided that they needed a big gun! Ha ha.

My bad, yeah it's Colby Cohen (I was typing a couple names in at the time... bad editing).

Here is video of the opening (hockey, of course) ceremony:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NfWPHPEEi_c

The renovations to the Metula rink (Israel's only full size rink) look terrific!

Israeli national anthem, opening ceremony:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=PGmB1iDppkQ

Steigs......yeah, I think the Maccabiah site is a bit thin as well. Odd considering just how big the entire enterprise is......all those sports, and all those national delegations. The Maccabi Canada and Maccabi USA sites and Facebook pages don't help either.

Maccabi Hockey Canada has Canada's roster up, but not the other ones.. I'm hoping once games are played they'll post the other teams.
    Of course even MHC have only the Open category (no junior or masters rosters)

IHF Member
    Marc and Steigs - thanks for doing such a great job keeping all of us up to date with Maccabi hockey. There were rumours about Zhitnik being Jewish ( along with a myriad of other Russian players) - but nothing was ever substantiated.

The last time Ukraine sent a team to the Maccabi games, it had no Jewish players. It was a last minute replacement for a Russian team that was supposed to be at there. Apparently a lot of money went unaccounted for in that one.

I guess the organizers thought that a four team hockey tournament made more sense and after the French withdrew, the Ukrainian option seemed the best way to go.

My son is playing fastball and they played a team from Cuba. There are only 1500 Jews in Cuba so the liklihood is that they filled their roster with a few guys that were not Jewish as well.

They do love their baseball out there though, so it IS possible to find enough players.

Apparently the Ukrainian men's hockey team is not Jewish, but were invited by the Maccabiah organizing committee to come to Israel and compete so that there would be at least four teams in the open tournament instead of only three, after Maccabi France had dropped out.

The Ukrainian roster has some big names on it. It is a very strong team.

Here is the Ukrainian roster:

Bernatski Oleksii 33 UKRAINE
    Grygoriev Oleg 19 UKRAINE
    Legorov Roman 11 UKRAINE
    Isaienko Denys 34 UKRAINE
    Isaiev Oleksandr 44 UKRAINE
    Karpenko Igor 20 UKRAINE
    Kazymyrov Igor 16 UKRAINE
    Kharchenko Sergiy 18 UKRAINE
    Klymentiev Sergii 3 UKRAINE
    Krylov Viacheslav 41 UKRAINE
    Lakhmatov Vitaly 10 UKRAINE
    Larionov Lvan 27 UKRAINE
    Maiko Mykola 8 UKRAINE
    Nimenko Dmytro 79 UKRAINE
    Razin Sergii 13 UKRAINE
    Sadii Serhii 82 UKRAINE
    Shafarenko Oleg 7 UKRAINE
    Sriubko Andrii 6 UKRAINE
    Svyrydov Ruslan 4 UKRAINE
    Timchenko Viacheslav 5 UKRAINE
    Zabludovskyi Denys 55 UKRAINE
    Zhitnik Alex 77 UKRAINE

The Israelis would need their 'A' team that just won this year's IIHF D.2B tournament, or at least the roster that won the 2011 IIHF D.3 tournament, to stand a chance of competing respectably in this event. All of Canada, the USA and Ukraine have far, far stronger teams than the skeleton crew that Israel has iced for this event, and that's a shame. Would have loved to see Israel's top roster, or at least something close to it, compete against teams this strong. That would have been a lot of fun. Instead, they are in for a long few days.

Men's Open Division scores:

CANADA 7, UKRAINE 1

An extremely impressive performance by the Canadian Jewish team against the Ukrainian entry, which contains a fair number of guys in their late thirties who have played for the Ukrainian national team.

USA 14, ISRAEL 0

This is what I was railing against in my earlier posts. I know for a fact that the Israelis tried hard and played their best after having spoken with a couple of the guys. But the fact remains that this American team, while strong, is far weaker than the 2009 and especially the 2007 gold-medal American World Jewish Cup teams.......and Israel, with nearly its top roster in 2007, played the Americans to a tight 2-1 loss, and played similarly against them in 2009 with an Israeli 'B' roster. Why Israel could only muster a 'D' roster for such an important event is a question that the Israeli federation really needs to be asking itself.

The Americans led 7-0 after the first period, and 11-0 after the second.
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 21-07-2013 at 14:35.

Fair point regarding the Israeli entry here.... we're talking about the Maccabiah Games, it's not "just" a World Jewish Cup for ice hockey... why guys wouldn't be able to take time off work to participate in the "Jewish Olympics" (not a fan of the term, but it does emphasize the importance of the event) is mind-boggling. So the question becomes: did the top players simply not wish to participate? And if so, that brings up some other questions as to why not.

Good show by Canada, I'll be interested to see a boxscore, see who did what.

I found out why the top Israeli guys are all missing.

Several of the pro players (Birbraer, Spivak) don't have a contract with a new team yet and can't risk injury.

The federation runs on a very, very tight budget and spends practically all of its resources on grass roots programs in Israel, running the Israeli leagues, and operating the IIHF national team programs for the men and the U18's. There simply wasn't money left to fly the dual nationals to Israel, and get them hotels. In addition, they didn't have the money to arrange insurance for the pros like Birbraer, Oren Eizenman, Spivak, and Sherbatov. Dual-nat Daniel Erlich chose to play for Canada in this tournament; he was Israel's top player at this past year's IIHF D.2B event.

So they are missing all of their pros (Erlich, Birbraer, O. Eizenman, Spivak, Sherbatov), and didn't have the resources to bring ex-pro Alon Eizenman, or top dual-nat amateur players such as Daniel Bochner, Ron Oz, or Sergei Frenkel. In additon, team captain Avishai Geller couldn't play due to work issues, and Artiom Korotin isn't playing. So they basically are missing their top two available lines of offense, and four of their top six defensemen. Third line guys like the Levy brothers are forced into top line minutes; fourth line guys like Josh Greenberg and Evgeni Kniter are forced to play second line minutes or out of position back on defense; and guys who would normally never make the cut for the national team are playing on the third and fourth lines and on defense.

The guys who did come from overseas (Avneri, the Levy brothers, Mazour, & Soreanu) paid their own way, which is several thousand dollars each. That, and they were able to take off from work (and Mazour's school has not started back up yet). Most of the dual-nats use their available work vacation time to play in the yearly IIHF tournament, or cannot afford to pay their own way to Israel for the Maccabiah.

Israeli hockey has some very good talent........enough to play respectably against the formidable opposition in this tournament. We know that's true due to the 2007 & 2009 World Jewish Cup results against strong American and Canadian squads.

What Israeli hockey has basically none of is depth, and that is not uncommon for a developing hockey nation, especially one whose federation operates on a very small budget.

Kudos to the Israeli guys for putting on the jersey, representing the flag, and doing their best despite being severely outmatched.

Given the above situation, the results here are both understandable and expected.

The real hope is that one day the grassroots programs will develop strong, native Israeli players, improve the quality of the Israeli league, and improve the national team.

Amen, sir. Thanks for the update.

It at least explains what the heck is going on, since the score was a bit shocking.

And the Israelis are apparently running three lines, not four.

Here is a link to some of the American goals against the Israelis in the Open division game:

http://m.youtube.com/channel/UCpEsEwfbQYYSeoJY790vr_A

Men's Open Division scores:

CANADA 15, ISRAEL 0

USA 5, UKRAINE 3

Men's Masters (40+) Division scores:

RUSSIA 6, ISRAEL 3
    Israel blew a 2-0 lead, and the game was tied 3-3 before Russia pulled away for the win.

CANADA 6, USA 5

There was a U19 Junior game between the USA and Canada, but I can't find the score.

IHF Member
    Only 1500 members of the Tribe in Cuba. It appears that there are at least two Jewish players on the Cuban softball team.

Thanks once again to Marc for all the info and updates.

I know Canada's David Taveroff is officiating at the tournament - any word of the other officials and what countries they come from?
    Last edited by Ottawa national; 24-07-2013 at 05:52. Reason: correction

Ottawa National -

Great to see you back at the forums! Thank you for the kind words. This topic has over 3,500 views, so I know it is being watched, but it is always nice when someone take the time to post and say thank you, and/or otherwise contribute.

Off topic a bit, but I heard a couple of the Cubans were Jewish, though most were not. Perhaps that information was not correct?

Then again, the Maccabiah organizers invited the Ukrainians to compete in the Men's Open tournament, knowing that they weren't Jewish, in order to have a minimum four team field when Maccabi France's hockey team dropped out relatively late in the planning stages.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for Israel's plight in the Men's Open tournament, the details get starker and starker. Aside from Avneri and Soreanu on defense (who are national team regulars in that regard), the Israelis have sometime national team depth defenseman Nisan Botbol. Just to fill out the roster, they have a junior player and two Israeli men's Masters players (i.e., over 40 years of age) as the other three defensemen. They are, on defense, missing Dan Spivak (a pro player and by far their top defenseman), Bochner, Oz, Korotin (who sometimes plays defense), Mikhael Horowitz, Navot Kantor, & Kai Malachi, as well as a couple of others who sometimes play 'D' for the mens' nats.

Here is (for the most part) the Israeli lineup for this event:

Kniter-Mazour-I.Levy
    Greenberg-S. Levy-Lebedev
    Triebochan-Buz-D. Golodinsky
    (there is a 10th forward but I don't know his name)

Avneri-Soreanu
    Botbol-(junior player)
    (Masters player)-(Masters player)

Goal: Sorotzky, Loginov

With no disrespect to the players who are here and trying very, very hard under difficult circumstances, only Mazour, Avneri & arguably Soreanu are currently really capable of playing against the type of opposition that they face in this event, and even they are overmatched here.

Forgetting 2007 & 2009, let's get more recent. Compare this lineup to Israel's 2011, 2012, and especially its 2013 IIHF tournament lineups, and we are comparing apples & oranges.
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 22-07-2013 at 18:12.

Junior (U19) scores:

CANADA 4, USA 0 (7-21-13)

USA 13, ISRAEL 2 (7-22-13)
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 23-07-2013 at 03:25.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information