5 10.00%
  • BLR vs FIN, Finland will win

42 84.00%
  • SWE vs NOR, Sweden will win

45 90.00%
  • SWE vs NOR, Norway will win

2 4.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Day 1 (USA vs FRA, GER vs ITA, CAN vs SVK, CZE vs DEN, BLR vs FIN, SWE vs NOR)

Mens IHWC Day 1 (USA vs FRA, GER vs ITA, CAN vs SVK, CZE vs DEN, BLR vs FIN, SWE vs NOR)

Vote for each of the 6 results above

Note: First time CET (Stockholm time), second EET (Helsinki time)
    04.05.2012, 11:15/12:15, USA - France (Helsinki)
    04.05.2012, 12:15/13:15, Germany - Italy (Stockholm)
    04.05.2012, 15:15/16:15, Canada - Slovakia (Helsinki)
    04.05.2012, 16:15/17:15, Czech Republic - Denmark (Stockholm)
    04.05.2012, 19:15/20:15, Belarus - Finland (Helsinki)
    04.05.2012, 20:15/21:15, Sweden - Norway (Stockholm)

Use this thread for the games of Day 1

Post your predictions, comments, post-game reactions etc.....
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

I don't see any upsets happening this day... Maybe Denmark can surprise the Czechs, but not enough to win it.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

IHF Member
    Same. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if France surprised the US. Well, a little, but being the opening day and all I don't think the US will have much chemistry. Otherwise, the favorites are pretty clear.

The French gave the Americans a hard time in their Qualifying match last year, first match of tournament, French have played together, Americans havent, could see it happening. Other then that, I have all the favourites winning.

I am not figuring on any surprises here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    I don't see any upsets happening this day... Maybe Denmark can surprise the Czechs, but not enough to win it.
    2 weeks ago, I would have said that Denmark could maybe have pulled an upset... But then all the Czech NHL'ers came to camp, so now im not so possitive.. Although DenmarK does have a good team this year.

We recently just lost our 2nd line RW, Mads Christensen, (Eisbären Berlin) to concussion like symptoms.. That really made for some line shuffling for yesterdays game against Italy.

The Danish Team also havent played much together.. Many of the players from NA and SEL, SM and DEL have only just recently joined the team. They looked like they needed to get to know each other.
    ”Hockey's the only place where a guy can go nowadays and watch two white guys fight.”

Italy, Belarus and Danes (in this order) can potentially upset their respective opponents, other than that don't see upsets in other games. Though Sweden has felt kinda shaky recently, then again Norway doesn't look that good too despite a good roster.

Americans will be good this year. Maybe still not 1/2 final good but good. And Canada, with the problems with Russians and Swedes at the moment, looks like could be the champion this year. But we'll see. In any case I expect the North Americans to be better this year.

No game where you can guess the results this year?

Thanks a lot, WHawks.

What are the ticket prices in Sweden? Watching that first game was pretty sad, IIHF says attendance was 1,000 but I find that very hard to believe. I know its the early match and its a work day, but Helsinki was able to draw a much better crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by DHKStarkovs View Post
    What are the ticket prices in Sweden? Watching that first game was pretty sad, IIHF says attendance was 1,000 but I find that very hard to believe. I know its the early match and its a work day, but Helsinki was able to draw a much better crowd.
    Globen looked almost completely empty so I guess the numbers are correct. Maybe it was a mistake to have a WC in Sweden.
    RIP Pavol Demitra, Karel Rachunek, Robert Dietrich and all the other Loko players and staff that died Sept. 7 2011 !

Quote Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
    Globen looked almost completely empty so I guess the numbers are correct. Maybe it was a mistake to have a WC in Sweden.
    I was actually finding it hard to believe it made it to 1,000, not over, I was expecting to see, 400-500, if that. I wouldnt say having it in Sweden was a mistake (they do host again next year after all), Im just wondering if they priced their tickets too high or packaged them terribly because Helsinki didnt have much trouble on a Friday afternoon match. From reading around, seems Finland started selling US v. France down to 5€, perhaps Sweden needs to rethink their ticket plans.

Doesn´t sound that much different from what happened last year in Košice with the attendance. And the only reason it was different in Bratislava was because if people wanted to secure SK games tickets they had to buy group package. The people organizing the WCs need to learn that people won´t pay big money for the games except the home team and the POs. Since it would be logical to have more people who payed less money than less people who payed more money...

Sweden should not host these kind of events, not enough interest. Remeber WJC 2007? Same thing half empty arena, will be the same in 2014 in Malmö.

Canada barely eked by Slovakia, 3-2
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Canada 3, Slovakia 2
    I know this is only the first game, but I was not impressed with my country's play. They looked disorganized, a little slow, and their transition game was no where to be found. They were fortunate to win IMO. Lucky there is still plenty of time and games to get better, which I think they will.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolpskott View Post
    Sweden should not host these kind of events, not enough interest. Remeber WJC 2007? Same thing half empty arena, will be the same in 2014 in Malmö.
    WJC is empty everywhere in Europe. Except for the games of the home team.

Slovakia was better than I expected tongiht, though they were lucky too. And Tatar and Hudáček well proving my point all game long...

Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    not sure about Ufa.. IMO it will be sold out all the time
    http://webhokej24.sk/index.php twitter: @vorkywh24

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ref72 View Post
    Canada 3, Slovakia 2
    I know this is only the first game, but I was not impressed with my country's play. They looked disorganized, a little slow, and their transition game was no where to be found. They were fortunate to win IMO. Lucky there is still plenty of time and games to get better, which I think they will.
    Well, isn't that par for the course?
    It's rare that any Canadian team competing at this event gets off to a flying start.
    The players have had hardly anytime to get introduced to each other, let alone develop cohesiveness
    and transition.
    The important thing is Canada started against a quality opponent and got the win.
    The key is how quickly Canada will improve from game to game.

IHF Member
    Impressive to see Denmark`s improvements in their hockey over the last years, they could`ve won against Cze today, very good game.

I think DEN will be Germany`s closest contender for the fourth QF spot, and with their possible NHL reinforcements they might even be a favorite there.

It will be interesting to see if Denmark or Germany will have their nose ahead in the years to come, both are constantly improving and fighting for Top 8 spots.

Czechs can most certainly count their blessings they won, they didnt look very good at all today. Denmark looked good though, need to start producing quality chances, they always seem to fizzle before they get real dangerous.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post

Slovakia was better than I expected tongiht, though they were lucky too. And Tatar and Hudáček well proving my point all game long...
    Thought Hudacek would not be there at all?

Damn about Denmark - finally we had the chance to beat the Czechs - but did not have the luck and refereeing.

1st goal was offside in the goal area and 2nd goal was elbowing before he passed it into the guy that made the goal.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptajnen22 View Post

Damn about Denmark - finally we had the chance to beat the Czechs - but did not have the luck and refereeing.

1st goal was offside in the goal area and 2nd goal was elbowing before he passed it into the guy that made the goal.
    Yeah, Denmark was better. I didn`t see the offside with the first goal though, but then again i didn`t watch out for it. With the second goal, Denmark seemed to wait for the refs to stop the game, which is a mistake imho. You always have to expect not getting the call, you can`t just stop playing before you hear the whistle.

kaptajnen there is no such thing as offside in the goal crease anymore by default if a player is inside it while the puck crosses the line. The rules today state: "If an attacking player being in the goal crease at the moment the puck crosses a goal line and in NO WAY affect the goalkeeper´s ability to make a save"...it's a goal (470 - DEFINITION OF A GOAL)
    The danish commentry was wrong (as usual?). It was a good goal.

Vujtek has had some changes of heart regarding to Hudáček - first he didn´t want to call him at all after the league finals and then he said he would not be on the roster once in Finland, but it´s a good thing he changed his mind.

Now I only keep wishing that he has a change of heart regarding an another Slovak player on the team...

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHawks View Post
    kaptajnen there is no such thing as offside in the goal crease anymore by default if a player is inside it while the puck crosses the line. The rules today state: "If an attacking player being in the goal crease at the moment the puck crosses a goal line and in NO WAY affect the goalkeeper´s ability to make a save"...it's a goal (470 - DEFINITION OF A GOAL)
    The danish commentry was wrong (as usual?). It was a good goal.
    Ok, i was not aware of that - but i am sure that we play after that rule in the AL-Bank liga?

"With the second goal, Denmark seemed to wait for the refs to stop the game, which is a mistake imho. You always have to expect not getting the call, you can`t just stop playing before you hear the whistle. "

I agree - it is not professional and lack of experience. But it is a shame for danish hockey. Would had been a great result with a point :-)

But we are getting closed - i am impressed about the play today, but also impressed with the danish AL-Bank liga team that won twice in Slovakia earlier this year.

IHF Member

But we are getting closed - i am impressed about the play today, but also impressed with the danish AL-Bank liga team that won twice in Slovakia earlier this year.
    Like i said, impressive how Denmark improved. Norway is on their way too and Germany has gotten better and better in the recent past.

I think that in the years to come, it will be a tough and close fight between Germany, Denmark, Switzerland, Slovakia and maybe even Norway for the "top of the middle class" :) The gap between the top nations and the middle becomes closer and closer. While all those teams are still miles away from the quality of the elite teams at least they`ve become good enough for some setups here and there, which makes the WC really interesting.

Ok, i was not aware of that - but i am sure that we play after that rule in the AL-Bank liga?
    Yes the rule is the same in Denmark, the rule book from IIHF is literally just translated directly, it is even the same rule number in the rule book on the DIU-site, 470/471 in that as well if you wanna read it there as well.
    Also danish league referee Jacob Grumsen has commented on facebook that it would also be a goal in Denmark.

In Germany attendance was about 4000 even for the games of the weakest teams aginst each other - for example in the relegation round. They should have known before if Swedes are interested in watching a WC or not. It clearly seems no one in Sweden cares about other NTs so they should not have such an event.

PS: Sweden has an All-Star team on the ice and not even half of their own arena is filled in a WC opener against their direct neighbours. Thats ridiculous.
    RIP Pavol Demitra, Karel Rachunek, Robert Dietrich and all the other Loko players and staff that died Sept. 7 2011 !

Weren´t prices even cheaper in Germany than in Slovakia 2011 though?

But I agree that the attendance for the Swedish team is a shame, no matter whom their playing as this kind of roster should attract people.

Yeah, the ticket prices are ridiculous in these games. There's been a lot of controversy over the issue out here. The average price for a round robin ticket is around 150 euros, which is about 200 dollars.

I don't blame people if they find better ways to waste that than a single night of hockey, unless the opposing team is something to write home about.

As far as Finland's opener goes, well... stellar goaltending, teamplay that oozes chemistry, struggles at scoring. Win regardless. So very... Finland.
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

This was the scene in Stockholm this afternoon and it most certainly wasnt that much better for the middle match or even the Swedish match. I would be more then happy to go over to Sweden to spend my money on not only hockey but other things in Stockholm but not for these prices. I really want this trend to continue, next year they can give more reasonable prices.

Oh I just saw the ticket prizes for both countries. Whoever thought this would be normal prizes must be mentally challenged. The prizes for games with Team Sweden look almost like the money you would have to pay for a Soccer WC final ticket...

Quote Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
    Whoever thought this would be normal prizes must be mentally challenged.
    I dunno. My personal vote goes to "greedy and obnoxius".
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by DHKStarkovs View Post
    This was the scene in Stockholm this afternoon and it most certainly wasnt that much better for the middle match or even the Swedish match.
    That's just depressing. If anybody wonders if the prices are too high, the two full sections at centre ice in the upper level and hardly anybody else says it all. I agree with jaaa that its better to have a lower ticket and larger crowd than high prices and nobody there. At least with that, you can get a return on concessions. 7770 is the official attendance of the Sweden-Norway match. The Swedish organisers should feel ashamed of that number in a building the size of Globen.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Ref72: were you watching the same game as I am right now (thank you, PVR)?

If it wasn't for the goalie Hamerlik (and the post), the game could have easily been 6-1 or 7-1 after two periods. Hamerlik was by far the busier goalie in the early part of the game, and made by far the bigger saves through the match. The game was more even in the third, but to say that Canada was lucky to come out of it is not giving them credit I think.
    Slovakia was better than I expected, but they were definitely outclassed in this game IMO.

That being said, Canada did try to get too fancy at times and if they continue that it will come back to bite them. They have to play a simple game, skating hard and playing hard.

Late to the party because I didn't want to know the USA-France score (watched it on tape delay at home tonight).

The tiny crowds are depressing. The IIHF should, as has been pointed out, drastically lower the ticket prices to get people through the doors, and then more money will be made selling food, drink and merchandise.

Great to see Denmark and Norway playing the big boys so closely.

The American team started slowly, but found their legs after the first period. They skated well, and were creative. The defense was very mobile and jumped into the offense nicely. However, their gap control was awful, and if they do not tighten it up immediately they will get eaten alive by the better teams, starting with Canada. Likewise, the forwards need to backcheck. Jimmy Howard looked rusty, but he will get better......he has not played in a few weeks.

France actually has a decent team. However, their biggest star let them down today....Huet gave up some really poor goals and just looked below average.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    The tiny crowds are depressing. The IIHF should, as has been pointed out, drastically lower the ticket prices to get people through the doors, and then more money will be made selling food, drink and merchandise.
    The IIHF dosnt set the ticket prices, the organizers do and looking at the Helsinki attendance compared to the Stockholm attendance, its clear the Finns made adjustments by lowering the prices or just giving the tickets away for free while the Swedes didnt.

Ok, then substitute the word 'organizers' for 'IIHF.'

Bottom line is that $200 per ticket for non-medal round games, and games that don't involve the home team, is insane.

I only saw the USA-France game in Helsinki, Finland, but I would doubt that there were really more than 1000 people in the stands, regardless of the reported attendance.

Ok, then substitute the word 'organizers' for 'IIHF.'

Bottom line is that $200 per ticket for non-medal round games, and games that don't involve the home team, is insane.

I only saw the USA-France game in Helsinki, Finland, but I would doubt that there were really more than 1000 people in the stands, regardless of the reported attendance.
    I'd say the official attendance for Helsinki games are either some kind of clever play with statistics (call out reserved seats or something) or simply put, blatant lies that would make Kim-Yong Fatso proud.

Even if I'm being gracious, I'd say the attendance for USA-FRA and CAN-SVK was perhaps half of the announced number at best. For Finland's game, perhaps two thirds of the arena was full... which is still a goddamn disgrace, considering how hockey nut and swooning over its NT this country is.

It's clear that the organizers have dropped the ball with these prices. No other way around it. Looks like the Swedish federation is already admitting its mistake and is taking steps to amend it. What I know of the Finnish one and the dinosaur that helms it, I'm not being as hopeful.

On top of it all, even the players seem to be noticing it, despite the heat of the game. Finland's D-man Anssi Salmela said after the game that compared to the hothouse the arena in Moscow was during the Gagarin Cup finals, this crowd was pretty quiet, even surprisingly so. And this was after the most attended game of the opening day. Can't even imagine how the players in those other games must have felt.

IHF Prospect
    About prices, they are talking about having the same prices for the whole tournament and adjust for next years WC..
    They are saying this cux they think it would be unfair to those who had already bought tickets to see other ppl buying them for less. How hard is it to just give the ones who bought tickets already the rest of the money back?

well well i will attend SWE-RUS and thats it this year.

IHF Member
    It is always good to admit you when you are wrong, but it is just to late for most of us to plan anything that involes going to either Sweden or Finland and support our country. Now I would have to pay tripple the airfare instead, because the departuredate is so close to the buying date.

I checked the ticket info now, and the iihf site (http://www.iihf.com/competition/272/...c/tickets.html) states that there is currently no plans to sell single tickets. For a package of four games you would pay €100-260 depending on seats.

However, if you click your way through to the next page (http://www.iihf.com/channels-12/iihf...stockholm.html) there are listed prices for individual games which can be purchased through ticnet.se. Prices for the Germany - Italy game ranged from SEK 125 to SEK 395 (€14-44), which I feel is pretty reasonably priced, and nowhere nere $200 that was claimed earlier. The most expensive games are Sweden's, where prices are SEK 395-1495 (€44-167) which is a bit steep. Other games fall in between.

But as a Swedish hockey fan I am ashamed at the bad attendance...
    Last edited by Bennison; 06-05-2012 at 02:03. Reason: steep - cheap, what's the difference.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

The tickets to Sweden´s games that originally cost 1295SEK have now been reduced to 395SEK.

http://www.swehockey.se/Startsidesny...forVM-lagren1/

Thread Information