View Poll Results: Who will win between Slovakia and Canada?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Slovakia (H4) will win

4 16.67%
  • Canada (H1) will win

20 83.33%

Thread: QF: Canada (H1) vs Slovakia (H4) game thread

Mens IHWC QF: Canada (H1) vs Slovakia (H4) game thread

Wed May 17th, 2011. 12:00pm CET @ Helsinki, Finland

Slovakia 5-0-0-2, 15pts
    vs
    Canada 6-0-1-0, 19pts

Post your predictions, comments before after and during the games etc....
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

Usually I cheer for euro nations, but in this case I will make pleasent exception. GO CANADA ! :)

IHF Member
    Canada struggled to beat Slovakia in their group game but I feel the Canadians are
    a much better team now then they were then.
    There is much more cohesion, much more familiarity with each other now.
    In other words, Canada is evolving into a real team and at precisely the right time.
    I say 5-2 Canada.

I don't see Canada dropping this... Slovakia has out-done themselves by reaching QF.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WrBrkN-kcE
    10 years is a charm... :D :D
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

I'd like Slovakia to win, but Canada will win comfortably, I'm afraid.

Canada is playing better then at the beginning of the tournament, but then so is Slovakia. I figure this to be a tight one, 4-2 Canada with an empty net goal

Quote Originally Posted by Ref72 View Post
    Canada is playing better then at the beginning of the tournament, but then so is Slovakia. I figure this to be a tight one, 4-2 Canada with an empty net goal
    Well, I don t really consider barely beating France to be playing better than at the beginning of the tourney ;)

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    Well, I don t really consider barely beating France to be playing better than at the beginning of the tourney ;)
    You were outplayed in the 2nd and 3rd period against France. I see an tired slovakian team getting in big trouble agaianst Canada and i dont see you have many chances, unless the one day restitution has become your old team well :-)

Quote Originally Posted by kaptajnen22 View Post
    You were outplayed in the 2nd and 3rd period against France. I see an tired slovakian team getting in big trouble agaianst Canada and i dont see you have many chances, unless the one day restitution has become your old team well :-)
    I don´t think it was primarily about being tired. Fact is that we just don´t know how to play against the teams that are supposed to be weaker on paper (that´s not just recently, the 02 gold winning team for example barely beat Ukraine 5:4 I think). This year it is also harder because Vujtek´s system is based on deffense first (not that we saw too much of it yesterday). Our players kinda enter this kind of games thinking that the opponent will defeat themselves and in the end they float for most of the 60 minutes out there. But it was no news in the game against France, they already did this against the Kazakhs. But in the end they did manage to win both those games. And after struggling in the game against Kazakhstan they came out and beat Belarus 5-1. As for being tired the fact is that they actually played better in those games that they did not have any rest - winning against US day after playing Finland and against Swiss day after the game against Belarus, while the two worst games of the tourney were actually after they had rest.

Still, I don´t think we have much or any chance to win it I actually see two scenarios - depending on which Slovak team will skate out there - if it´s the better one then it´s probably a one goal loss (or a very slim possibility of winning if Laco absolutely stands on his head and if we´re lucky) or if it´s the other it will be a comfortable win for Canada and it could even get ugly.

Wow. Just wow!

Congrats Slovakia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C'mon Jaaa, give your countrymen some credit.....they deserve it!

Second time in my life I cheer for Canada (first time was against Slovaks in prelimiray stage) and they lose. Jesus...

Really hope that someone will finish off Slovaks in semis

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Wow. Just wow!

Oh, but I´m not taking anything away from them. I actually even bet on them to win it, haha. :D :D

But they do deserve it as they were a TEAM, Canada wasn´t...at least not as much...

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Wow. Just wow!

Disappointingly premature end for Canada.
    Canada got into a 2-0 hole early but when they climbed out of it to lead 3-2 after two
    periods I thought the momentum had gone Canada's way.
    But it slipped away late and Getzlaf's 5 min kneeing penalty was a killer.
    Slovakia deserves all the credit though...a tough out in the semis for whoever they face.

Ouuuhh, Getzlaf, what the..
    Cogratulations Slovakia, well done.

Hope Mikúš will be alright though. I mean we´ve had enough injury trouble already...

IHF Member
    Hope Mikúš will be alright though. I mean we´ve had enough injury trouble already...
    Maybe WC schould be played in Scandinavia every year?

Chara is maybe 50% of this result - what a warrior he is. He played almost every minute in the penalty killing in the 2nd period.

And the coaching - cant believe how it would have been if you have had this czech coach instead of Hanlon last year. It is amazing results you have made this year. I hope your team will not be to dead before the semifinale.

Amazing performance and results and nice to see my favourite Tatar play such a nice match.

Maybe WC schould be played in Scandinavia every year?

Chara is maybe 50% of this result - what a warrior he is. He played almost every minute in the penalty killing in the 2nd period.

And the coaching - cant believe how it would have been if you have had this czech coach instead of Hanlon last year. It is amazing results you have made this year. I hope your team will not be to dead before the semifinale.

Amazing performance and results and nice to see my favourite Tatar play such a nice match.
    Haha, yeah, Nordic countries seem to be our lucky charm :D

As for last year, it was not only about the coach, it was a wrongly built team (which was not only the coachś fault) with not the best chemistry inside. That´s not to take anything away from Vujtek obviously, one has to admire his skill in making a Slovak team play a system.

Also, before this season the new SZĽH leadership had three goals for the national teams:
    Men´s team to make QF and Sochi DONE and OUTDONE
    U20 team to make QF DONE
    U18 team to make it out of Div IA DONE and OUTDONE (cruising over Norway 7-2)

so props to not only Vujtek, Sykora, but also Bokroš and everybody else involved

IHF Member
    Haha, yeah, Nordic countries seem to be our lucky charm :D

As for last year, it was not only about the coach, it was a wrongly built team (which was not only the coachś fault) with not the best chemistry inside. That´s not to take anything away from Vujtek obviously, one has to admire his skill in making a Slovak team play a system.

Also, before this season the new SZĽH leadership had three goals for the national teams:
    U20 team to make QF DONE

so props to not only Vujtek, Sykora, but also Bokroš and everybody else involved
    Maybe it is the many blonde girls in this part of the world, making it easier to focuse :-) I hope you can keep the progess.

In DK we had 3 goals which ended opposite:

WC: QF
    U20: Stay up
    U18: Stay up

U20 team to make QF DONE

I'm so happy because of this, Slovakia is obviously fighting back all the predictions that their hockey is going downwards. They now have chance against anyone, maybe even Russia.
    Hokej u Hrvatskoj ima svijetlu budućnost SAMO AKO mjerodavni ljudi rade svoj posao kako treba - Pršljen
    Hockey in Croatia has a bright future ONLY IF relevant people do their job right - Pršljen

Wow, huge congrats to Slovakia! They're definitely on a roll right now!
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Wow, huge congrats to Slovakia! They're definitely on a roll right now!
    Just checked the match stats and Chara actually played less time on the ice than the three top canadian D-men. It surprices me a bit

Congrats to Slovakia!
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

Just checked the match stats and Chara actually played less time on the ice than the three top canadian D-men. It surprices me a bit
    He still played much more than any other Slovak. And he was on there for the whole 5-3 PK and for a time after that, must have been like 3 full minutes. What surprises me more though is the fact that both Baranka and Sersen have had more TOI than Sekera. Especially Sersen was pretty bad against France. But I guess it can´t be helped since we lost Graňák...

Thread Information