View Poll Results: Who will win between Slovakia and Canada?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Slovakia (H4) will win

    4 16.67%
  • Canada (H1) will win

    20 83.33%
Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: QF: Canada (H1) vs Slovakia (H4) game thread

  1. #1
    IHF Staff Jazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Southern Canada
    Posts
    6,449

    Mens IHWC QF: Canada (H1) vs Slovakia (H4) game thread

    Wed May 17th, 2011. 12:00pm CET @ Helsinki, Finland

    Slovakia 5-0-0-2, 15pts
    vs
    Canada 6-0-1-0, 19pts

    Post your predictions, comments before after and during the games etc....
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

    International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

  2. #2
    IHF Member Dex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    152
    Usually I cheer for euro nations, but in this case I will make pleasent exception. GO CANADA ! :)

  3. #3
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    1,267
    Canada struggled to beat Slovakia in their group game but I feel the Canadians are
    a much better team now then they were then.
    There is much more cohesion, much more familiarity with each other now.
    In other words, Canada is evolving into a real team and at precisely the right time.
    I say 5-2 Canada.

  4. #4
    IHF Member Bennison's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hagestad, Sweden
    Posts
    3,183
    I don't see Canada dropping this... Slovakia has out-done themselves by reaching QF.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

  5. #5
    IHF Member jaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    EUSSR :(
    Posts
    2,968
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WrBrkN-kcE
    10 years is a charm... :D :D
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

    See you in 2019...perhaps...

  6. #6
    IHF Staff Marc Brunengraber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Islip, New York
    Posts
    9,944
    I'd like Slovakia to win, but Canada will win comfortably, I'm afraid.

  7. #7
    IHF Member Ref72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    945
    Canada is playing better then at the beginning of the tournament, but then so is Slovakia. I figure this to be a tight one, 4-2 Canada with an empty net goal

  8. #8
    IHF Member jaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    EUSSR :(
    Posts
    2,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Ref72 View Post
    Canada is playing better then at the beginning of the tournament, but then so is Slovakia. I figure this to be a tight one, 4-2 Canada with an empty net goal
    Well, I don t really consider barely beating France to be playing better than at the beginning of the tourney ;)
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

    See you in 2019...perhaps...

  9. #9
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    Well, I don t really consider barely beating France to be playing better than at the beginning of the tourney ;)
    You were outplayed in the 2nd and 3rd period against France. I see an tired slovakian team getting in big trouble agaianst Canada and i dont see you have many chances, unless the one day restitution has become your old team well :-)

  10. #10
    IHF Member jaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    EUSSR :(
    Posts
    2,968
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptajnen22 View Post
    You were outplayed in the 2nd and 3rd period against France. I see an tired slovakian team getting in big trouble agaianst Canada and i dont see you have many chances, unless the one day restitution has become your old team well :-)
    I don´t think it was primarily about being tired. Fact is that we just don´t know how to play against the teams that are supposed to be weaker on paper (that´s not just recently, the 02 gold winning team for example barely beat Ukraine 5:4 I think). This year it is also harder because Vujtek´s system is based on deffense first (not that we saw too much of it yesterday). Our players kinda enter this kind of games thinking that the opponent will defeat themselves and in the end they float for most of the 60 minutes out there. But it was no news in the game against France, they already did this against the Kazakhs. But in the end they did manage to win both those games. And after struggling in the game against Kazakhstan they came out and beat Belarus 5-1. As for being tired the fact is that they actually played better in those games that they did not have any rest - winning against US day after playing Finland and against Swiss day after the game against Belarus, while the two worst games of the tourney were actually after they had rest.

    Still, I don´t think we have much or any chance to win it I actually see two scenarios - depending on which Slovak team will skate out there - if it´s the better one then it´s probably a one goal loss (or a very slim possibility of winning if Laco absolutely stands on his head and if we´re lucky) or if it´s the other it will be a comfortable win for Canada and it could even get ugly.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

    See you in 2019...perhaps...

  11. #11
    IHF Staff Marc Brunengraber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Islip, New York
    Posts
    9,944
    Wow. Just wow!

    Congrats Slovakia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    C'mon Jaaa, give your countrymen some credit.....they deserve it!

  12. #12
    IHF Member Dex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    152
    Second time in my life I cheer for Canada (first time was against Slovaks in prelimiray stage) and they lose. Jesus...

    Really hope that someone will finish off Slovaks in semis

  13. #13
    IHF Member jaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    EUSSR :(
    Posts
    2,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Wow. Just wow!

    Congrats Slovakia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    C'mon Jaaa, give your countrymen some credit.....they deserve it!
    Oh, but I´m not taking anything away from them. I actually even bet on them to win it, haha. :D :D

    But they do deserve it as they were a TEAM, Canada wasn´t...at least not as much...
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

    See you in 2019...perhaps...

  14. #14
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Wow. Just wow!

    Congrats Slovakia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    C'mon Jaaa, give your countrymen some credit.....they deserve it!
    Disappointingly premature end for Canada.
    Canada got into a 2-0 hole early but when they climbed out of it to lead 3-2 after two
    periods I thought the momentum had gone Canada's way.
    But it slipped away late and Getzlaf's 5 min kneeing penalty was a killer.
    Slovakia deserves all the credit though...a tough out in the semis for whoever they face.

  15. #15
    IHF Member andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Yaroslavl, Russia
    Posts
    407
    Ouuuhh, Getzlaf, what the..
    Cogratulations Slovakia, well done.

  16. #16
    IHF Member jaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    EUSSR :(
    Posts
    2,968
    Hope Mikúš will be alright though. I mean we´ve had enough injury trouble already...
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

    See you in 2019...perhaps...

  17. #17
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    Hope Mikúš will be alright though. I mean we´ve had enough injury trouble already...
    Maybe WC schould be played in Scandinavia every year?

    Chara is maybe 50% of this result - what a warrior he is. He played almost every minute in the penalty killing in the 2nd period.

    And the coaching - cant believe how it would have been if you have had this czech coach instead of Hanlon last year. It is amazing results you have made this year. I hope your team will not be to dead before the semifinale.

    Amazing performance and results and nice to see my favourite Tatar play such a nice match.

  18. #18
    IHF Member jaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    EUSSR :(
    Posts
    2,968
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptajnen22 View Post
    Maybe WC schould be played in Scandinavia every year?

    Chara is maybe 50% of this result - what a warrior he is. He played almost every minute in the penalty killing in the 2nd period.

    And the coaching - cant believe how it would have been if you have had this czech coach instead of Hanlon last year. It is amazing results you have made this year. I hope your team will not be to dead before the semifinale.

    Amazing performance and results and nice to see my favourite Tatar play such a nice match.
    Haha, yeah, Nordic countries seem to be our lucky charm :D

    As for last year, it was not only about the coach, it was a wrongly built team (which was not only the coachś fault) with not the best chemistry inside. That´s not to take anything away from Vujtek obviously, one has to admire his skill in making a Slovak team play a system.

    Also, before this season the new SZĽH leadership had three goals for the national teams:
    Men´s team to make QF and Sochi DONE and OUTDONE
    U20 team to make QF DONE
    U18 team to make it out of Div IA DONE and OUTDONE (cruising over Norway 7-2)

    so props to not only Vujtek, Sykora, but also Bokroš and everybody else involved
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

    See you in 2019...perhaps...

  19. #19
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    Haha, yeah, Nordic countries seem to be our lucky charm :D

    As for last year, it was not only about the coach, it was a wrongly built team (which was not only the coachś fault) with not the best chemistry inside. That´s not to take anything away from Vujtek obviously, one has to admire his skill in making a Slovak team play a system.

    Also, before this season the new SZĽH leadership had three goals for the national teams:
    Men´s team to make QF and Sochi DONE and OUTDONE
    U20 team to make QF DONE
    U18 team to make it out of Div IA DONE and OUTDONE (cruising over Norway 7-2)

    so props to not only Vujtek, Sykora, but also Bokroš and everybody else involved
    Maybe it is the many blonde girls in this part of the world, making it easier to focuse :-) I hope you can keep the progess.

    In DK we had 3 goals which ended opposite:

    WC: QF
    U20: Stay up
    U18: Stay up

  20. #20
    IHF Member Pršljen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dubrovnik, Croatia
    Posts
    2,244
    Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    Also, before this season the new SZĽH leadership had three goals for the national teams:
    Men´s team to make QF and Sochi DONE and OUTDONE
    U20 team to make QF DONE
    U18 team to make it out of Div IA DONE and OUTDONE (cruising over Norway 7-2)

    so props to not only Vujtek, Sykora, but also Bokroš and everybody else involved
    I'm so happy because of this, Slovakia is obviously fighting back all the predictions that their hockey is going downwards. They now have chance against anyone, maybe even Russia.
    Hokej u Hrvatskoj ima svijetlu budućnost SAMO AKO mjerodavni ljudi rade svoj posao kako treba - Pršljen
    Hockey in Croatia has a bright future ONLY IF relevant people do their job right - Pršljen

  21. #21
    IHF Member Conesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Currently Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    2,329
    Wow, huge congrats to Slovakia! They're definitely on a roll right now!
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

  22. #22
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Wow, huge congrats to Slovakia! They're definitely on a roll right now!
    Just checked the match stats and Chara actually played less time on the ice than the three top canadian D-men. It surprices me a bit

  23. #23
    IHF Staff Jazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Southern Canada
    Posts
    6,449
    Congrats to Slovakia!
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

    International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

  24. #24
    IHF Member jaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    EUSSR :(
    Posts
    2,968
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptajnen22 View Post
    Just checked the match stats and Chara actually played less time on the ice than the three top canadian D-men. It surprices me a bit
    He still played much more than any other Slovak. And he was on there for the whole 5-3 PK and for a time after that, must have been like 3 full minutes. What surprises me more though is the fact that both Baranka and Sersen have had more TOI than Sekera. Especially Sersen was pretty bad against France. But I guess it can´t be helped since we lost Graňák...
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

    See you in 2019...perhaps...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •