Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Continental Cup 2012/2013 - news and draws

Continental Cup 2012/2013 - news and draws

In a press conference today, Landshut Cannibals, the Champions of 2.Bundesliga have announced they will be taking part of the Continental Cup for this season.
    http://www.la-cannibals.com/cannibal...id=22&Itemid=2

Banned
    HSC Csikszereda's opponents in the 1st round (Group A --> 28-30 September) will be C.H. Jaca (Spain), HC Vitez Belgrade (Serbia) and Baskent Yildizlari (Turkey)
    http://www.hsccsikszereda.com/2012/0...-cup-news.html

What about other groups?

Group A (28-30 September): HSC Csikszereda (Romania), C.H. Jaca (Spain), HC Vitez Beograd (Serbia), Baskent Yildizlari (Turkey)

Group B (19-21 October): Landshut Cannibals (Germany-2), Belfast Giants (Great Britain?), Eaters Geleen (Netherlands), winner of Group A
    Group C (19-21 October I guess): Beibarys Atyrau (Kazakhstan), Liepajas Metalurgs (Latvia), Vaasan Sport (Finland-2), Miskolci JJSE (Hungary)

I don't know which two teams are in the finals group, but we will know more (venues etc.) on the 23rd of June

It seems there are no estonia and lithuania teams this year.

IHF Member
    . Would imagine the Erste banke league will have a least one of team as there are teams from Austria, Slovenia and Croatia which do no yet have a team in this. The MOL Liga has 2 teams in this one from Romania an done from Hungary so precedent for more than one team from a league if they are from different countries. Good to see clusb from German and Finish 2nd leagues in this.

Sad to see no teams from Estonia or Lithuania. With only 2 spots left there will be someone absent from Austria, Croatia, Belarus, Ukraine, Denmark, France, Norway, Italy. Perhaps there is a semi final round stage as there are too many big absentees.

Quote Originally Posted by grazza View Post
    Sad to see no teams from Estonia or Lithuania. With only 2 spots left there will be someone absent from Austria, Croatia, Belarus, Ukraine, Denmark, France, Norway, Italy. Perhaps there is a semi final round stage as there are too many big absentees.
    You are forgetting about both the Third Round (Groups D and E) which includes three starting clubs plus the Super Final which includes two starting clubs. Belarus, Ukraine, Denmark, and Italy entries usually always start in the Third Round, Norway hasnt sent a club to the tournament since 2005 so its unlikely to expect them to join now and France Champion Rouen is the current Continental Champions so they wont be in the tournament till the Super Final

Editor of www.hsccsikszereda.com (HSC Csikszereda's English blog)

Of course when I point out how long its been since Norway has been in the tournament, they return again. Group E should be fun to see the battle between Zhlobin and Stavanger, the winner from Group C to join that Group should be pretty interesting as well. The Super Final should be very, very good again this year, love it.

I checked out that IIHF link; looks like a very interesting event this year.

Groups B, C and D look particularly strong compared to prior years.

Disappointed to see that Israeli champs Maccabi Metula are not playing. They would be the strongest Israeli entry since the 1990's in my opinion, and I think they could have beaten Baskent and possibly even Vitez.

Not a chance at beating anyone, they were waitlisted

IHF Member
    anyone know why the top leagues (Elitserin, NLA, SM-Liga, etc) don't send teams to the Continental Cup?

I know the CC was created for leagues not represented in the European Cup/League, but now that there's no more ECC or CHL shouldn't the CC be the de facto European championship?

They repeatdely said aren't interesting in CC. I Think European Trophy is much more lucrative for them...
    Quote Originally Posted by -Helix- View Post
    anyone know why the top leagues (Elitserin, NLA, SM-Liga, etc) don't send teams to the Continental Cup?

I know the CC was created for leagues not represented in the European Cup/League, but now that there's no more ECC or CHL shouldn't the CC be the de facto European championship?

Tough to beat anyone if you're not in the tournament for sure. A shame, as like I mentioned, this would be the Israeli club with the best shot to steal a win or two in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Tough to beat anyone if you're not in the tournament for sure. A shame, as like I mentioned, this would be the Israeli club with the best shot to steal a win or two in a long time.
    Marc it's all about money they and us (me and Felix) cannot afford two major trips in a year

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?me40dp

IMHO Israel has 0 chance of even tying a game at cc in concievable future

Sad that the Federation's (future) government funding is still tied up in a government investigation due to the selfish actions of he-who-shall-not-be-named.

Of course you and Felix cannot be expected to finance an Israeli club's trip to the Continental Cup......it's amazing you guys can afford to do what you do for the nats each year, and that you are willing to do it.

So yeah, they can't win - or tie - if they don't have money to play.

I'd be willing to bet that this year's Maccabi Metulla would beat Baskent and give Vitez a good game had they played each other.....oh well, we'll never know anytime soon.

According to HK Vitez website, IIHF announced forfait of CH Jaca from Continental Cup to due financial problems (Spainish club lost main sponsor and its partecipation at next domestic league is in jeopardy) and the replacement with Maccabi Metulla

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    According to HK Vitez website, IIHF announced forfait of CH Jaca from Continental Cup to due financial problems (Spainish club lost main sponsor and its partecipation at next domestic league is in jeopardy) and the replacement with Maccabi Metulla
    Wow, just saw this now. Great for Israeli Hockey. Let's see what they can do. Really sad about Jaca though, played at Jaca for 2010 Continental Cup

IHF Member
    Definately very interesting tournament this year and as there will be teams from VHL/KHL there is good chances to see tournament games in KHL TV channel.

IHF Member
    Will Donbass use their KHL roster or is this some kind of farm team?

Quote Originally Posted by -Helix- View Post
    Will Donbass use their KHL roster or is this some kind of farm team?
    I dont think they have said yet, both their KHL club and PHL club has those dates off so who knows. Seeing how its at home and Rouen embarrassed them last year, I bet they load up, however, in my opinion, they should send the PHL roster.

IHF Member
    I am getting ready to play for Vitez in the Continental Cup, should be fun, they are great bunch of guys. Played for Bat Yam in Jac in 2010, that was fun

IHF Member
    Marc, Metula will not have a very strong team and while I wish them well, I dont expect them to have any close games in Romania.

IHF Member
    By the way, Bashkent will have 7 foreign players, mostly from Slovakia

Felix -

Thanks for the info. & good luck to you.

I have to ask - how the heck did you hook up with Vitez?

As for Maccabi Metula, this drives me crazy......the level of competition is already above them, so why bother spending the time and money to go if you are not going to send your best possible roster? This is the same thing Herzliya did a few years back, when they brought 50% juniors. If nothing else, take the best two lines, and take other top Israeli league guys on loan to fill out the other two lines.

Disappointing; I was really looking to see how a top-strength Maccabi Metula team would have done.

Here's the Baskent roster for the CC: http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=5801

IHF Prospect
    Baskent will move onto the second round in october :)

IHF Member
    Thank you Marc. I am in Belgrade. Will skate for Vitez in an exhibition game tonight against Partizan. Will try to keep up although I am jet leged from today's flight. Met Bogdan, Dragan and some other teammates today. Wonderful guys, it's a pleasure to join them as a teammate. Don't judge Metula too harshly. It's tough for them to field an optimal team since funds are an issue and getting time off from work and army is also an issue. I am sure the players who come will have a good tournament especially my friends Korotin, Kniter, Buz, Levav

Oh, don't worry, I'm still rooting for Metula to pull off an upset or two (no offense). :)

Not sure if you practice, but if so, have an easy fast. I'll say a few prayers for you since I don't imagine you'll be anywhere close to a shul.

IHF Member
    Thank you for good wishes Marc. We scrimmaged against Partisan today. The score was 4:2 for Partizan

IHF Staff
    Go Felix!!!

I'd like to root for the uderdogs as much as the next guy, but anything but a Csikszereda win would be the upset of the year in Continental Cup hockey.

And whoever wins this round (i.e. Csikszereda) will play against my Smoke Eaters in Landshut! :-)
    You can be sincere and still be stupid - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ro Herregraven View Post
    I'd like to root for the uderdogs as much as the next guy, but anything but a Csikszereda win would be the upset of the year in Continental Cup hockey.

And whoever wins this round (i.e. Csikszereda) will play against my Smoke Eaters in Landshut! :-)
    Thank you Wolfie

IHF Member
    Yes Ro no doubt the hosts will win, why wouldn't they, they are professionals

IHF Member
    Thanks Wolfie

IHF Member
    any other rosters?

Serbian hockey
    Senior 2A - U20 2B - U18 2B

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hckeyguy25 View Post
    any other rosters?
    HSC Csíkszereda: http://eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=2759

HK Vitez Beograd: http://eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=11310

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ro Herregraven View Post

Yes, normally they shall be classes above Vitez and Metulla, and I also think that despite of the slovak and czech foreigners and the turkish-north american double citizens, they shall also give a solid beat to the turkish team. Anyway, HSC players already have 9 league matches plus some exhibition matches in their skates and sticks while for example Vitez have just started ice trainings.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Yes Ro no doubt the hosts will win, why wouldn't they, they are professionals
    Not all of them, many of their players are young, just finished the school or still students. But they are on ice since more than two months.

Any live streaming or so? I think I remember a couple a years ago that Czikszereda had some live-streaming on their web-site. I tried to figure it out on their web-site today but my hungarian is...zero.

So if anyone knows...

IHF Member
    Thanks for the links.

Looks like no streaming but any links to score updates?

Vitez - Maccabi 15-0

Ugh......that's awful. Who did Maccabi bring to this event? Who were they missing from their usual roster?

The IIHF site doesn't even show which rosters any of these teams brought, much less the scores.

I'm curious if Vitez borrowed any players from Partizan or other Serbian clubs for this event.

I would have expected a full strength Maccabi and a Vitez club with its usual roster to be a decent match up.

Can't really know what happened here until I see both clubs' rosters for this game.

I can only imagine the beating they're going to suffer against Sport Club.

I'm hoping at least that our good friend Felix Kozak played well for Vitez, and I wish Vitez luck in its remaining games.....would love to see them pull off an upset of Sport Club and make the second round.

Maccabi is all Juniors

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    Vitez - Maccabi 15-0
    Brtual....

Maybe Felix got a goal!!

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Maccabi is all Juniors
    No Chernie, or Tal, or Knitter?

Banned
    Ugh......that's awful. Who did Maccabi bring to this event? Who were they missing from their usual roster?

The IIHF site doesn't even show which rosters any of these teams brought, much less the scores.

I'm curious if Vitez borrowed any players from Partizan or other Serbian clubs for this event.

I would have expected a full strength Maccabi and a Vitez club with its usual roster to be a decent match up.

Can't really know what happened here until I see both clubs' rosters for this game.

I can only imagine the beating they're going to suffer against Sport Club.

I'm hoping at least that our good friend Felix Kozak played well for Vitez, and I wish Vitez luck in its remaining games.....would love to see them pull off an upset of Sport Club and make the second round.
    There is no way to happen that....Partizan won two games against Vitez and Partizan is not the same team like last year. Every result lower than 10 goals different will be great and offcourse Vitez will lose against Turkish team...

Vitez have just veteran players and some players who didnt have any serious competitions for years..

I heard from Felix. He said Maccabi iced a squad that was a few of their regulars, mixed with a bunch of juniors and guys borrowed from other clubs.

Herzliya did this a few years back with similar results.

Not sure why a club would bother to spend the time and money to travel all that way with that kind of lineup.

If you can't get a full team, it would make more sense to take two lines of regulars, plus two lines from the runner up club on loan (this season, Bat Yam), and keep the lines together so they have some familiarity with each other. It would be a more competitive venture. Or take one line from the second place club and one line from the third place club. If that can't be arranged, it doesn't make sense to go. Sending juniors to this tournament to get annihilated doesn't give them good experience or teach them anything, as the level of play is too far above them.

Not sure why a club would bother to spend the time and money to travel all that way with that kind of lineup.
    is exactly my though....plus, you spent money perfectly knowing you will be hammered by any other team....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information