View Poll Results: Who will be the 2012 IIHF World Champion?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Slovakia (H4) will win

4 33.33%
  • Russia (S1) will win

8 66.67%

Thread: GOLD MEDAL GAME, Slovakia (H4) vs Russia (S1)

Mens IHWC GOLD MEDAL GAME, Slovakia (H4) vs Russia (S1)

Sun May 20th, 2011. 7:30pm CET @ Helsinki, Finland

Slovakia 5-0-0-2, 15pts
    vs
    Russia 7-0-0-0, 21pts

Post your predictions, comments before after and during the games etc....
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

IHF Member
    I voted for Slovakia because...well.... somebody should!
    I just hope it is a good close game and not a rollover for Russia.

This is not about who will win it...this is about how much Russia will win it and how much points Malkin will have. Go Russia, don't embarras yoursefl. Bring GOLD home, where it belongs. Go Russia go Russia !!!! Always with Russia !!!

Kinda a reversed situation to 2002, it was an underdog Russian team making a cinderella run facing offensively star ladden Slovakia back then. Hopefully the game is at least as interesting as back then.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

Wonders how long Slovakia can keep upsetting opponents or if Russia is just going to run them out of the building. I voted Russia as they have really seemed to get everything to click, however the Slovaks continue to impress me time and time again. Dont really care who wins though I will pull a little for Slovakia in favour of jaaa, just a great match is all I ask.

Russia is a giant favorite in this game.....they almost have their 'A' team here, whereas Slovakia has essentially its 'B' team.

I think Russia will win big, though I am hoping for a close, tense, dramatic game the entire time.

No preference for me as to who wins....good luck to both squads and hope it is a great game.

I feel that Russia's been too much on a roll in this tournament to be stopped. Who knows, maybe Slovakia upsets them, but I just honestly don't see that happening.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

IHF Member
    This is a tough one for me. On one hand - I'm a Russia fan without a doubt. On the other - The Slovakian run is amazing, a real Cinderella story, waiting 10 years for another final and who knows - when will there be the next one. And I do realize that many Slovakian hearts will be broken to smithereens if they lose the final. I know it is not possible in such a situation - but I would vote for gold medals to be handed out to both teams, I really don't see any other fair option.

Since I'm from Yaroslavl its gonna be a bit of bitter in that Gold coz a piece of my heart is always with Slovakia and Pavol.. Besides, there's V.Vujtek sr, he's almost Yaroslavl guy.

Well, no question who was the best country in the tournament was, after a little slow start they roll over opponents, so huge congrats to them for winning Gold and being Champions.

congratz to russia :)
    Per aspera ad Astra. [42]

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHKStarkovs View Post
    Well, no question who was the best country in the tournament was, after a little slow start they roll over opponents, so huge congrats to them for winning Gold and being Champions.
    Slovakia can't be too disappointed with their silver.
    Their second best finish ever I think it is safe to say was expected by no one.

Quote Originally Posted by Heatleysucks View Post
    Slovakia can't be too disappointed with their silver.
    Their second best finish ever I think it is safe to say was expected by no one.
    agree
    Per aspera ad Astra. [42]

Every loss hurts, and this one is no different. For a while our boys might be sad and above all they will be sorry about the mistakes they made today. But I hope that when they come out of the plane tomorrow in Bratislava that they will hold their heads high, because what they did in Helsinki is just so amazing and incredible. When we will look at this after some time, we will realize that despite the sad finish this showing is most probably one of the biggest upsets in the recent history of this tourney. BOYS, BIG THANK YOU, WE ARE PROUD OF YOU. I have just two wishes:
    1. I hope that the competent people will use this victory (because this is a HUGE VICTORY for our hockey right now) to give Slovak hockey the restart that it desperately needs AND
    2. That the casual Slovak fan won´t expect the team to be at least in semifinals next year and if they somehow don´t make it to the quarterfinal (because with the concurrence that there is it´s very well possible) that this years´ heroes won´t become the biggest idiots next year!

Congrats to Russia on a well deserved win! We all knew that you had amazing players, who love to show up to play for mother Russia, but it was incredible to see them play with such team spirit (unlike in 2010 for example). Hats off, Сборная!
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

Congrats to Russia! 10 straight wins, by far the class of the tournament.

Was cheering for Slovakia, they have been my '2nd' team to cheer for after Canada since 1994, especially after the Olympic tournament format debacles of 1998 & 2002, and think that Demitra would be proud of the tournament showing by his countrymen.
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

Slovakia has every reason to be proud of their team ! To finish second just behind one of the best Russian post-soviet teams is just amazing !! I am really happy for them, especially as no body expected that. :)
    RIP Pavol Demitra, Karel Rachunek, Robert Dietrich and all the other Loko players and staff that died Sept. 7 2011 !

Congrats to Russia on a dominant performance throughout the tournament, and on a well-deserved, well-earned gold medal.

Congrats also to Slovakia on a very unexpected, but also well-deserved and well-earned silver medal.

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Dex View Post
    This is not about who will win it...this is about how much Russia will win it and how much points Malkin will have. Go Russia, don't embarras yoursefl. Bring GOLD home, where it belongs. Go Russia go Russia !!!! Always with Russia !!!
    And that's exactly how it went. Malkin ruled the ice. Go Geno!
    http://www.sun-i.com/illustrations/evgeni-malkin.html

IHF Member
    Very intresting, you are calling Russian team as Team A without -Kovalchuk,Radulov,Anisimov,Markov,Kulikov,Volchenk ov,Bryzgalov,Tyutin,Bobrovsky..but team Slovakia as team B without 6 missing players?

Thread Information