Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The future of Slovak hockey

So the latest rumour has it that "Pallfy's" candidate is Tibor Turan. So we might actually be sorry to see Nemecek go after all, LOL.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

It seems there will be only two candidates for the presidency and both of them are members of the current executive committee.

First one is above mentioned Tibor Turan, supported by Palffys' group (whomever that might be), the other one is Martin Kohut (who also works as a manager for an IT company in Slovakia). It seems that the latter one is supported both by Nemecek and Lintner.

It is worth noting that under the old statutes, the president chose the members of the executive committee, while under the new ones they will be elected by the Congress just as the president. So everything seems to suggest that there might be some kind of behind the scenes agreement to have one of Nemecek's people (who is also acceptable for the other group/striking players) as the president and to get the people from the other group onto the executive committee (where there is technically more power to make changes). /this is pure speculation at the moment of course/

Under the new statutes the committee will consist of 11 members:

- president
    - 1 representative of Extraliga teams
    - 1 representative of I.liga teams
    - 1 representative of II.liga teams
    - 2 representative of youth hockey
    - 1 representative of sport experts
    - 1 representative of national teams section
    - 1 representative of players
    - 2 representatives of newly created committees

The candidates for these positions also had to be nominated yesterday by the latest but unlike the ones for presidency were not announced yet. Some little info has been however published - Richard Lintner has been nominated to be the representative of Extraliga, Ľubomír Višňovský as a representative for the national teams section and NY Rangers scout Ján Gajdošík as a representative of youth hockey.

Most of the votes at the Congress will come from the clubs under the new statutes:

- 1 vote for a delegate of a registered member (i.e. association of inlne hockey, regional federations or clubs that didn't take part in any competition)
    - 1 vote for the delegate of sport experts
    - 1 vote for a delegate from players'association/reprseneting at least 50 players
    - 5 votes for a delegate of an Extraliga club
    - 3 votes for a delegate of a I. liga club
    - 1 vote for a delegate of a club playing other leagues
    - 1 vote for each youth team in the younger pupils/older pupils/cadets*/dorast/junior categories

This means in case that a club has an Extraliga team, a farm team in I. liga and teams in all youth categories they would get 13 votes all together (5 for Extraliga, 3 for I. liga and 5 for the youth teams)

*newly created nationwide competition for the u16 category

It's worth noting that most of the changes to the statutes are not a result of the players strike but of Slovakia's new sports law which decreed many of them in case that SZLH wants to continue receiving public funds.

The new executive committee will only be elected for a period of 3 years, the next period after that will also be 3 years in order to match with Slovakia hosting the Worlds in 2019 and with the 2022 Olympics.

More details about the changes to the statutes can be founder (in Slovak) HERE

I believe it's too early to draw any conclusions before we see who actually makes it to the executive committe. However it's generally believed among fans that Turan running for the position of SZLH president is a bad joke as he is best known for leaving the Extraliga team in Poprad in shambles and financial troubles (every year worrying whether they would even start the season). Funnily enough the Extraliga club from Poprad is atcually amongst those that nominated Kohut (together with clubs from Michalovce and Gelnica as well as several players including Extraliga legende from Poprad Arne Krotak and Lubo Visnovsky). That alone should send alarm bells to anyone who considers casting their vote for him on June 16th.
    Last edited by jaaa; 02-06-2016 at 19:01.

Last week 5 players founded SIHPA, an association of Slovak hockey players. The president is Rastislav Konecny, amabassador is Dusan Pasek Jr. and other members include Milan Kytnar, Marek Slovak, Erik Caladi and Adam Drgon. The association proposed Jozef Stumpel as the players' representative to the Executive Committee of SZLH.

Nominees to the Executive Committee and other positions for Thursday's elections

SZĽH President:
    1. Martin Kohút
    2. Tibor Turan

Extraliga:
    1. Richard Lintner
    2. František Sucharda

I. Liga:
    1. Róbert Lupták

II. Liga:
    1. Ladislav Gross

Youth clubs:
    1. Július Beňuš
    2. Viliam Čacho
    3. Ján Gajdošík
    4. Michal Longauer
    5. Peter Oremus
    6. Jaromír Šmátrala

National team:
    1. Róbert Švehla
    2. Ľubomír Višňovský

Players:
    1. Rastislav Pavlikovský
    2. Jozef Stümpel

Sports experts:
    1. Peter Országh
    2. Andrea Švrčková

Comittee for economy and marketing:
    N/A

Comittee for competitions:
    1. Eduard Hartmann
    2. Jaoslav Sabol
    3. Jaromír Šmátrala
    4. Roman Štamberský

Board of Supervisors chairman:
    1. Lukáš Machala
    2. Vadimír Polakovič
    3. Jaromír Šmátrala
    4. Rastislav Železník

Board of Supervisors members:
    1. Ivan Droppa
    2. Jozef Mitocha
    3. Jaromír Šmátrala
    4. Michal Taliga
    5. Ľubomír Vaic

Elections committee:
    N/a

Disciplinary committe chairman:
    1. Vladimí Palečka
    2. Jaromír Šmátrala

Disciplinary committe vice-chairman:
    1. Vladimí Palečka

Licence committee chairman:
    1. Olive Pravda

Licence committee vice- chairman:
    1.Juraj Titl

Appeals disciplinary committee vice-chairman:
    1. Mária Šišková

Appeals disciplinary committee chairman and members: N/A

Referee committee chairman:
    1. Vladimí Baluška
    2. Ľuboš Jakubec
    3. Peter Országh
    4. Jozef Vrábel

Referee committee vice-chairman:
    1. Vladimír Kontšek
    2. Milan Novák

Permanent Arbitration Court chairman:
    1. Juraj Koval
    2. Jaromír Šmátrala

Permanent Arbitration Court vice-chairman:
    Jozef Pukalovič

The Congress started todatly at 10 a.m., it's nearing 10 p.m. over here and we are still waiting for election results as we have been for about 4 hours now.

Although the year is 2016, the votes were cast on paper, so they need to be counted manually. Furthermore in the 1st round itvwas necessary to gain a qualified majority of the votes in order to get elected. This is unlikely to happen for positions with more than 2 candidates and there will have to be a 2nd round. The results for all the positions will only be announced after the 2nd round. It looks like the Congress will continue into the night or even that the elections will continue tomorrow.

However it sounds like there is a big chance that Turan won as president, in which case I personally am probably definitely done with Slovak hockey. Clubs who elect someone like him deserve no fans.

Slovak daily SME claims that as per unofficial info Kohut has won.

Votes are still being counted for the 2nd round - 2 positions needed to be counted, so no official word yet.

In the end it was confirmed that Martin Kohut is the new SZLH president as he won 150 of the votes.

New executive committee:
    Extraliga - Frantisek Sucharda
    1.liga - Robert Luptak
    2.liga - Ladislav Gross
    Youth clubs - Peter Oremus, Michal Longauer
    National teams - Robert Svehla
    Players - Jozef Stumpel
    Sports Experts - Ivan Droppa
    Chairman of the commission for economics and marketing: Dusan Mraz
    Chairman of the competition commission: Roman Stambersky

It's a relief that Turan didn't win but it's hard to day whether this is a win for Slovak hockey. For one thing Kohut is by many considered a lesser evil, he was one of Nemecek's people before.

The hope with Lintner and co. supporting Kohut was that they could get into the executive committee positions. However I think not a single one from them actually made it, not even Lintner himself. So from that POV it looks like it was a good decision to support Kohut by them because Lintner would likely stand no chance against Turan.

However the majority of the executive committee are Turan's supporters, so that might create an impasse potentially.

Kohut has said that he will offer the position of national team GM to Miroslav Satan. However the position is currently held by Robert Svehla who also got elected to the EC for the national teams. Satan as GM would need to be approved by the EC, so not sure how that will work.

Also, while a lot can be done by the federation but it all needs to start in the clubs. And if so many of them think that Tibor Turan who is best known for leaving an Extraliga club with a 900 000 Euro debt is the right person to lead all of Slovak hockey...

IHF Prospect
    What are the odds that the two Hungarian teams (MAC and DVTK) are admitted to the Extraliga? There is a lot of tumors going around that if both were to move over they would be accepted.. I've also heard a few teams are trying to sell their Extraliga license, would they need the rest of the leagues approval to buy those and enter the league, or could they just purchase the license and enter without any sort of vote from the rest of the Extraliga?

Quote Originally Posted by RobIzsak View Post
    What are the odds that the two Hungarian teams (MAC and DVTK) are admitted to the Extraliga? There is a lot of tumors going around that if both were to move over they would be accepted.. I've also heard a few teams are trying to sell their Extraliga license, would they need the rest of the leagues approval to buy those and enter the league, or could they just purchase the license and enter without any sort of vote from the rest of the Extraliga?
    To be honest, I have absolutely no idea. Since Lintner has said that the Tipsport Liga teams declined the participation of foreign teams for next season, there has been absolutely no news in Slovak media on this.

Given the context of my last posts, I believe that you can imagine that the interest was completely elsewhere within the Slovak hockey movement in the past few weeks.

Really I don't think this is a good time for these kind of changes to the league.

As for the license, as far as I can remember I believe that in the past it wasn't possible to sell it at all. But perhaps something changed there. I don't think there's any way they can join even if it's possible to buy it without the agreement of both Pro-Hokej and the Tipsport Liga team.

IHF Prospect
    Really? I think it'd be the perfect time for something like this..

If you look at what the EBEL is doing and how they're expanding, the Extraliga is kind of being left behind.. Both Hungarian teams would be financially stable (arguably the MOST stable teams in the league behind Kosice) would bring in money, an international aspect to the league (TV rights being sold to Hungarian channels), and some more high end competition.

It would also give the Extraliga a start towards expanding else where, perhaps Poland, Czech (look at Znojmo in the EBEL) or even western Ukraine. Not to mention stealing away one of the EBEL's most likely expansion cities in Budapest..

It's obvious there isn't enough money available to support all of the teams in the Extraliga, weather that is because most of the money goes to keeping Slovan in the KHL or simply because of a poor economy I don't know, but bringing in foreign teams and charging expansion fee's like the one that was proposed when DVTK wanted to join the league would seem like a good way of bringing in revenue.

Skalica is gone so the league has gotten smaller by one team already, theres rumours Piestany is out as well which would leave you at 8 teams + Team Orange.

For example, charging 2 million Euro per team, and you bring in MAC, DVTK, 2 Polish teams and maybe 1 Ukrainian team would bring in 10 million Euro split between the 8-9(?) Slovak teams.. It would help a lot towards paying salaries.

I meant that the top league is really far from the most important area that the Slovak hockey movement needs to focus on.

While I'm not saying I am against such option, it's a big decision and all of the advantages and disadvantages should be evaluated properly and we are less than 3 months from the start of the season, so I don't think it should be done on such a short notice. If the league should be expanded, it should be well prepared.

Furthermore the expansion of the league is something that is supported by Lintner but as proven by yesterday's elections despite his position within Pro Hokej, he is not so popular with many people within Slovak teams and for those people this is a rather controversial topic, so perhaps for now it might be better for him to humor them in this regard in order not to shake his position even more.

Also, your count of the teams is wrong as Skalica's place was taken by Nove Zamky who gained promotion from I.liga in the play out, so there are currently 10 teams + HK Orange 20:

Nitra
    Zvolen
    Trencin
    Kosice
    Zilina
    Poprad
    Banska Bystrica
    Martin
    Piestany
    Nove Zamky
    (HK Orange 20)

As for Piestany, the talk about selling license sounds pretty much like typical tactics of Slovak Tipsport Liga teams that they use in order to scare the cities' government etc. to give them money to survive or something.

Post elections reactions

MARTIN KOHUT AFTER ELECTIONS
    - he will try to convice Turan's supporters in the EC to work with him, and mentions that there are also some of his people in the EC
    - he revealed Martin Filko, a prominent Slovak economist who tragically drowned in the Danube two months ago. His last meeting with Kohut was about sports and Filko told Kohut "to clean up Slovak hockey"
    - as mentioned he plans to call Miroslav Satan today and offer him the job of the GM NT
    - he claims Lintner doesn't have enough support within the clubs to get into the EC, however Kohut intends to help him as much as he can and to change the relationship between the federation and ProHokej.
    - he might involve Igor Nemecek in the organisation committee for IHWC 2019
    - he will not get paid for the job

TIBOR TURAN AFTER THE ELECTIONS

"Of course I am disappointed. The promoses I had from the clubs predicted us as the winner. I gained another experienc ein my life, that you can only rely on yourself. On the other hand, I'm happy that it worked out this way because I don't envy the people who will lead Slovak hockey at all. I congratulate Martin Kohut and wish him well in his efforts to lead hockey out of crisis. I wish that we can finally achieve peace in Slovak hockey and all of us enjoyed good results."

"By no means will I work with Mr. Kohut and I have personal reasons for that."

THE HOCKEY MOVMENT REACTS
    Dárius Rusnák (former member of the EC)
    "Martin Kohut won in democratic elections and I wish him well in his efforts to unite the federation and the whole hockey movement. The new president will have a very tough job because of the people who made it to the Executive Committee. Tought to say whether he is new blood, after all he worked within the EC for a year. His program convinced more people and I wish him many successes in his work."

Miroslav Kováčik (president of HK Nitra)

"I don't expect any miracles from the new president. It will be very hard, but that would be the same for the other candidate. Although new sports law was passed, I don't think it brough anything worldshaking. The support must be completely different. Just look to the Czech republic or Hungary, it's beyond comparison. Until we move closer to the conditions that the mentioned countries can create, we won't be able to compete. And it doesn't matter who is the president of the federation."

Ján Lašák (players' delegate at the Congress)
    "I'm intrigued to see the work of the new president of the federation. He needs to roll up his sleeves and start working. There's no room for celebration. We will see what he does and what he will bring to hockey. I believe he will do better than his opponent would do. We will see whether it will work because the executive committee....If the federation is lead by the right man, who can unite both sides, it can move forward."

Richard Lintner (chief of ProHokej)
    "I think that Martn Kohut has a lot of work ahead of him. I will root for him and I will try to help him the best I can so that we can move hockey forward together. The clubs have chosen and I think that Martin with his management abilities can work effectively in the Executive Committee. I think that Slovak hockey took a huge step forward. It's an interesting platform for us to make more steps into the future."

Róbert Švehla (NT GM and newly elected member of the EC)
    "The clubs have chosen and that's how it is. The new president has declared that he wants to unite the movement, so he gets the room for this. Personally I gave more chances to Tibor Turan, but I accept the results. In the EC elections I was given trust ahead of Visna and I don't want to disappoint people. I'm disappointed that the new president wants Miroslav Šatan as the GM of the NT. He knows very well that my contract is valid for one more year. But it's the new president's decision. Miro got such an offer a year ago and we all know how that worked out. I will accept, what the boss of the federation says."

Michal Handzuš (Leader of boycotting players)

"The clubs finally had a chance to elect their president and they have him. The president and the EC got their mandate and now it§s time to start working. If the processes are set correctly, the results might come in ten or fifteen years. There are two important things, youth and infrastructure. If we improve youth hockey, the results will come in a minimum of ten years. Time will tell how it's all going to work. Mr. Kohut is a manager and he will have to lead the EC. He says he is trying to unite. So that will be his goal to unite everyone to work together."

IHF Prospect
    Is Piestany going to have a team this season? And has the Extraliga teams been confirmed? I've heard there is a lot of movement in the 1.Liga and 2.Liga, but I have not seen much confirmed for the Extraliga..

If the latest IIHF Survey of Players is to be believed, it seems that there continues to be an upwards trend in regards to numbers of registered players in Slovakia:

Total numbers of registered players: 12 769
    Male: 3 139
    Junior: 9 630
    Female: 763
    Indoor rinks: 66
    Outdoor rinks: 28

It has been a few months sinceMartin Kohut was elected as the new president of SZLH. Since then the federation has seen the creation of a new projects and development office, at the moment they have prepared 19 areas in which the federation would like to support a positive improvement in Slovak hockey. As part of this project. Since the start it had also been announced by Martin Kohut that he would like to open up the federation more. Therefore anyone can sign up online here to help in one of the 19 areas (although they will only be contacted in case that they have experience in the given field) or propose new projects that they believe could help Slovak hockey.

"We want to create room for everyone who is interested in working for Slovak hockey. We know where the problem is and we know that there's a lot that needs to be changed. We believe that there is a lot of experienced people in Slovakia who could help Slovak hockey achieve the status that we were once used to. We would like to achieve what the Finns managed a few years ago and thanks to which they are successful at the moment. We would like to join the power and experience of the people from the hockey movement on the road towards a common goal and to create a discussion which will lead people to believe that change is possible if we all can cooperate. We believe that this is a way how we can be successful in the future."
    - Diana Kosova, director of the Projects office
    Sounds nice and all, but for now it's once again just theoretical talk...

Pavel Zacha mentions on his website that he has been asked by the Slovak federation to become an independent consultant for them. He also mentions that in his talks with SZLH president Martin Kohut, Kohut told him about some of the projects SZLH was planning, but that he is unable to share the details right now as the projects are still only at the preparation stage.

http://www.zacha-hokej.cz/domu/pavel...ledniho-hokeje

The overall impression however is that the ambitions are big. The thing is however that it will take all of this season to prepare these projects, which will leave them with only 2 seasons to implement them as we will have new elections in 3 years due to the shortened period the current leadership has.

Still, I am cautiously somewhat optimistic.

The IIHF website had a short interview with Martin Kohut at the end of last month:

Kohut at the helm

New president wants to revive Slovak hockey

Back

New Slovak Ice Hockey Federation President Martin Kohut. Photo: Jan Sukup

BRATISLAVA – As the new president of the Slovak Ice Hockey Federation, Martin Kohut has big plans for the future, aiming for nothing less than returning Slovak ice hockey back to the glory days it had enjoyed in the past. IIHF.com spoke with the new president starting into his first season.

What have you worked on in your new position since you have been elected as President of the Slovak Ice Hockey Federation?
    I have a strategy to change the federation to better serve its purpose. Over the past few weeks I met with every single employee and discussed about their job, what they want to do, what they want to improve and how they want to progress in their career. On the other side, I tried to explain to them my vision on how the federation should work.

What are you going to do next?
    I would like to adjust the federation into the style of a good functional corporation. Everyone expects rejuvenation, but I have to ensure the smooth run of the federation for the next period.

After that we can start to prepare development projects, which we couldn't start immediately, because of all the things I said before. This is what I am doing at the moment. I just want to make the federation work right.

Before you started working in ice hockey, you were CEO of an international IT corporation. Was the change of field difficult for you?
    I am not sorting out the hockey strategies, training development, etc. I will focus on forming the federation as a utility movement and that‘s a managerial work. This involves working with people, hierarchy, structure of the employees and their work habits.

Just as in a good corporation, a federation should serve its purpose and work as effectively as possible. Today I am in the position when I am learning about the ways how the federation works. We pay 130 employees and I need to know, what they get their money for to make their work more effective if it's possible.

Do you consider a cooperation with the ex-president Igor Nemecek in the future?
    Mr. Nemecek has worked in ice hockey for a long time. He can speak five languages and he has had experience working at the IIHF executive level from his time in Council. We can use these good relationships. We are going to host the IIHF Ice Hockey U18 World Championship next year and in 2019 the IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship. He can be a strategic communicator for us, someone who knows the whole structure and can assist in cooperation with the IIHF.

You were quoted that you would like to see Miroslav Satan as a general manager of Slovak national team. Have you spoken with him yet?
    I didn‘t say that. I made a statement that I want to put right person on the right position and I think for this position the right person is Miroslav Satan. He was busy this year working as the general manager of Team Europe for World Cup of Hockey. His success with the team in that competition means that he might get a job in NHL team. It will be a big challenge for me to sign him for this position. We need to start making a new concept for all national teams. We want him to be a leader of the all national teams, not only just the senior team.

Before you became President of the Slovak Ice Hockey Federation you said that Slovakia should go the Finnish way. Would you like to have foreign coach in the national team, maybe from Finland?
    This is not a question for me. Everything will depend on the new leader of national teams. He will be in charge of all national teams from U16 to first national team of Slovakia. Nowadays everyone says that we don‘t work professionally in youth national teams. If we want to change it, we have to set the goals what we want to achieve in the next few years and we need to make it smoother for the players to jump from one national team to the other. In my opinion Miroslav Satan is the best choice for this position.

What‘s your plan on improving youth development?
    Again, this is question for a particular leader. Another big player from the past, Michal Handzus, is very interested in working on this. We are preparing the concept of promoting the sport. Parents don‘t want to put their kids in ice hockey because they think, it wouldn‘t prepare them for the future. I understand that, because not many players from Slovakia make the NHL or KHL, so they likely send them to study something that gives them more possibilities in the future.

Here we want to show the parents, that the education in hockey academy can give their child more than the one in a state high school. We want to make sure that the kids who would attend these hockey schools would be automatically accepted by sports universities after they are 18 years old. I don‘t think we will start to win World Championships straightaway, but I believe, we can make the best eight teams in the world for good.

JURAJ HUDAK

Deti Na Hokej (SIHF recruitment program)

Last season the Slovak federation (re)started a recruitmen program called Deti Na Hokej (I suppose it could very losely be translated as Kids to (play) hockey).

Technically the campaign first started back during the 2012 IHWC with a TV spot with Miro Satan and Peter Bondra.

So even some of the SZLH articles refer to this season's as the 6th year of the program, while others refer to it as the 2nd one.

But at the end of the last season they published an analysis of the results.

In the 2015/2016 season 2571 children (1824 boys and 747 girs) in 23 different hockey clubs took part in the program, 301 of whom have joined the hockey clubs afterwards.

This season the program is scheduled to take place in 43 different hockey clubs all over the country.

Last edited by jaaa; 04-11-2017 at 16:36.

Sport Inak have visited Martin Kohut and were also present for meetings of two of the teams of the new project office

http://www.sportinak.sk/martin-kohut...ovy-zvaz-zmeny

- when Kohut was asked to describe his tenure he chose the words "change of the system"
    - one of his aims was to open the federation to the public. Previusly when you wanted to visit all you would find were locked doors and zou got inside by ringing a bell. Nowadays visitors are welcome by a receptionist and leads them to a conference room where a SZLH employee meets them
    - although the Congress in June it was agreed that the president would get a salary of 3500 EUR/month, Kohut says that he isn't receiving any money for his SZLH work
    - some of the people who are included n the projects are Michal Handzus, Miro Satan, Peter Bondra or Martin Cibak
    - the selection of national team coaches has changed - the federation publishes the offer, candidates apply and present their projects and then a special committee selects the winner. The coach of the women's u15 team was already chosen this way and once Zdeno Ciger's contract expires at the end of the season, it will be the same for the men's team
    - one of the project groups that they attended was the project group with the topic of building small hockey rinks. The project should be finished by the end of the year and the construction should start next year. The aim is to build 10 small multifunctional arenas primarily used as hockey rinks in the grounds of schools. The surface will be smaller than a reguar rink though
    - also discussed was the re-organisation of the competitions which they want to present to the Congress in June. However they will need 2/3 of the votes to get it through
    - as ProHokej also has its office in the same building Richard Lintner dropped by and said hi to Kohut during the day. Kohut says that what the journaists saw was an expression of the kind of relationship he and Lintner have /compared to the only formal relations Nemecek had with him and ProHokej/
    - "Money is not a problem" Kohut said, which is a very unusual thing to hear from someone involved in Slovak sports. He said in worst case scenario the federation could pay for the construction of 2 of the rinks mentioned earlier from the funds that they receive from the government based on the new Sports law. He also mentioned that whe he asked the people in regions what kind of reconstruction they needed all they said was that they needed money, but nobody had a project of what they would use it for. So in the last 10 years 46 millions were invested into the rinks, but this money was "thrown"out /meaning it was used for ad hoc repairs etc. think/
    The issue with the rinks s that they are owned bt the town and hence should be cared for by the town administrations, but Kohut says he can help them get the money for the reconstructions
    - the federation aso has an aim of creating 8 hockey academies in 8 Slovak cities which would replace the national u20 team programme. The players should not only learn English in the academies, but also be taught subjects n Engish and they should also prepare them to work in off ice position in hockey in case hockey doesn't work out for them. Kohut says that he doesn't want to create the academies artifically, let's say in the 8 biggest towns.He mentions Topolcany, a small town that was the first in Slovakia to have hockey sports classes and is home to players such as Miro Satan or Lubo Visnovsky. Hence they are mapping out the situation and finding out where there are people who are active and want to work for hockey.

Is there still hope for Slovak hockey?

117 cities in Slovakia have shown interest in the project of the small rinks (with 20mx40m ice surface). These should be financed and operated by the federation. They should be used not only for hockey, but also for other sports /tennis, climbing walls, street work out, bike park/.

These should primarily serve children aged 6 to 11 years old.

In the month of May 40 Slovak hockey experts will meet for the first National development seminar which should set the vision of Slovak hockey moving forward. This should be a similar seminar to the ones that took place in Sweden and Finland in 2003 and 2009 respectively.

http://www.hockeyslovakia.sk/sk/clan...e-zjednotit-sa

The Slovak federation and ProHokej have signed a memorandum with the company Kaufland who has become the new general partner of the Slovak federation as well as the main partner of the Tipsport Liga regular season and general partner of the play-offs.

A few updates

- cooperation with the Canadian and Finnish federation: the Slovak U18 NT will prepare in Canada and several coaches and other hockey experts will travel to Canada for education purposes. Slovak coaches and experts will also travel to Finland for this same purpose and former NT player Martin Strbak will study in Finland for 3 years as a hockey expert. Additionaly the various Slovak NTs will take part in traing camps together with the various Finnish NTs in the pre-season

- starting from the 17/18 season the I. liga teams will only be allowed 3 foreign players and will have to have 7 Slovak U23 players on the roster. In exhacnge for this the each of the I.liga clubs have eceved 10 000 Euro to buy hockey sticks

- a new activity at club level: Visegrad Cup with 4 Slovak teams (Poprad, Žilia, Nitra and Nové Zámky)and 4 Hungarian teams (UTE Budapest, Fehervar AV 19, Miskolc Jegesmedvek and MAC Budapest). The preliminary round will be played in August and the play-offs in October, November and December. There are hopes to expand the Cup to Poland as well as Czech republic

- there now appears to be an e-registry of all Slovak clubs and players

Yesterday the annual meeting of the Congress of the Slovak federation took place. So far we only have the news from press releases etc. as it takes a few days or weeks for the official reports to be published, but a few interesting news anyway:

- As I mentioned earlier Robert Svehla gave up his position as a member of the executive committee responsible for the national teams. Originally there were two candidates to replace them, Miro Satan and former u20 NT coach Ernest Bokros. Bokros gave up his candidacy himself yesterday, so Miro Satan was elected to this position. Talks about him becoming the GM of the NT are still ongoing. The same goes for the coach of the NT, they say that some of the talks are also in English, so a foreign coach might be a possibility, the name should be known in the middle of July

- new conditions for sharing money to the clubs for youth development were agreed upon, which should be based on the clubs performance in this regard

- the company Infra s.r.o. was crated with its sole responsibility being the building of those small hockey rinks etc. 9 Slovak cities will take part in this program

- the hockey federation should get a 4 million one time donation from the government

- a new end of the transfer window was decided (31st of January instead of February 15th)

- the budget (7 million Euro) of the federation was agreed upon

- all decisions were accepted with around 90% of the votes wth 50 out of 72 delegates coming to the Congress. I suppose that this means that some of the critical voices that for example had planned to initiate a vote on Kohut's position didn't even bother to show up

Kohut has also shared that the clubs have received 1,5 millon Euro from he federation this season and that it would be 1,1 million Euro more the next season. Coinciding with this SZLH also shared on their facebook profile that they have aother new partner - Nicolaus.

Kohut has also mentions what he deems as positives in his annual report: the progress of Tipsport Liga, growing attendance at the rinks,the electronic registry, youth projects, marketing, PR and better communication with the public.

From my personal view I have to agree on the last points, most of the decisions that they make can be found on the website (although I'm not sure how much of it is required to be published because of the Sports law anyway).

Miroslav Šatan has accepted the position of the GM of the Slovak mens NT. He signed a cntract for one year with the federation today.

An interesting bit of information from the latest meeting of teh executive committee. One of the project groups which is working on creating a project that will helo with education of people in Slovak hockey, especially coaches is led by Jukka Tikkaja from Finland.

Also, this month all the junior national teams will meet for a three day training camp, the main purpose of which is learning the playing system which was developed for the national teams by men's NT coach Craig Ramsay.

In less positive news, the U18 NT coach Norbert Javorcik has decided to quit being the u18 NT coach. The officialy cited reason is that his job with the youth teams in Banska Bystrica would leave him no time to follow the u18 NT players. There are some rumours that his decision has to do with the fact that the NT u18 team which played in the junior leagues has been scratched which is something that he disagreed with. The u18 team has now been taken over by u16 NT coach Viliam Cacho. Cacho and both of his assistant are coaches in the u16/18 Slovak league, while the majority of the u18 NT players are in the u20 league, so that is quite strange.

The federation published some interesting lists on their new website earlier this month. Asides from a list of hockey experts registered with the federation, it also includes a list of u23 players registered with the federation (as of October 1st, includes foreign players registered with the Slovak federation). I thought it could be interesting to see the numbers of u20 players per birth year.

The results are as follows

Players by birth year
    2012: 2
    2011: 23
    2010: 177
    2009: 489
    2008: 811
    2007: 770
    2006: 889
    2005: 846
    2004: 761
    2003: 674
    2002: 661
    2001: 632
    2000: 668
    1999: 457
    1998: 410

I'm not sure what the exact rules are but it would seem that with a few exceptions only players aged 6 years and older are registered and looking at the low numbers for years 2010 and 2009 it seems like not all 6-7 players are registered. The number of 9-13 year olds seems pretty stable at around 770-889 players. The first drop off comes with 14-17 year olds which I believe is kinda understandable given that at that age kids might find other interests. The most significant drop however comes between the u18 and u19 categories where there is a drop of 200 players. I suppose the reasons once again include other interests as players start working or go to university and the other issue might be that a lot of the weaker teams don't have junior teams so these players have nowhere to play. Hopefully we will see some improvements in this regard in the coming seasons with the European University Hockey League and the new rules for you ng players to be included in 1.liga rosters.

I thought it would also be interesting to see how many of the players are registered with teams that play on the rinks that have been built over the last 10 years in Slovakia. I have been known to say that the lack of ice rinks wasn't the most major problem in Slovak hockey, but it seems that I was at least partly wrong when looking at the numbers:

HC Bulls Vranov - Vranov nad Toplou
    89 players born 2001-2011

HK Srsne Kosice - Arena Srsnov
    38 players born 2002-2010

HK Spis Indians Levoca - Levoca
    47 players born 2006-2010

HK Titani Nitra - Klokocina, Nitra
    19 players born 2004-2010

HC Petrzalka 2010 Bratislava - Petrzalka, Bratislava
    109 players born 1996 - 2009

HKL Bratislava - Lamac, Bratislava
    6 players born 2002-2008

HO Hamikovo - Hamuliakovo
    88 players born 2000-2011

HC Velky Krtis - Velky Krtis
    20 players born 2002-2009

Liba Academy 11 Kosice - Cana, Kosice
    161 players born 1997-2010

HK Altis Namestovo - Namestovo
    112 players born 1999 - 2010

There are currently 689 players registered with these clubs who might not have become hockey players without new rinks being built in these places, which is a pretty significant number given the total number of registered players. Additionally these might grow as the numbers are higher in places where the rinks have been opened for a longer time and lower for those opened more recently such as Vranov or Levoca.

3rd year of Deti na Hokej

At the end of September the SIHF recruitment project Deti na Hokej started its third season in Nove Mesto nad Vahom and Levoca. Around 40 clubs all over Slovakia will take part in the program (so pretty much almost all clubs). In early 2018 there will be a series of events at outdoor rinks. The program is not aimed just at recruitment of kids to hockey, but to sports in general. However according to project leader Diana Kosova every 8th child who took part in the program in the first couple years later also took part in practices with the clubs, so around 12%. It is however too early to tell how many of them actually became regular players and they will only be able to tell once they start playing games and it will be possible to compare rosters.

CALENDAR OF EVENTS

September 29th
    Nove Mesto Nad Vahom

September 30th
    Levoca

October 8th
    Ruzinov
    Lamac

October 14th
    Trebisov

October 15th
    Presov

October 19th
    Poprad

October 21st
    Srsne Kosice

October 22nd
    Gelnica

October 28th
    Rimavska Sobota

October 29th
    Velky Krtis

November 3rd
    Vranov nad Toplou

November 4th
    Namestovo

November 5th
    Dolny Kubin

November 11th
    Zvolen

November 12th
    Banska Bystrica

December 2nd
    Spisska Nova Ves

December 3rd
    Bardejov

December 9th
    Senica

December 10th
    Piestany

December 16th
    Prievidza

December 17th
    Brezno

January 3rd
    Stropkov

January 4th
    Svidnik

January 5th
    Revuca

January 6th
    Roznava

January 7th
    Sabinov

January 8th
    Nova Lubovna

January 13th
    Lucenec

January 14th
    Nove Zamky

January 20th
    Banovce nad Bebravou

January 21st
    Skalica

January 27th
    Martin

January 28th
    Kosice

February 4th
    Michalovce

February 25th
    Hamuliakovo

An interview with Jukka Tiikkaja on his job in Slovak hockey

Last edited by jaaa; 15-11-2017 at 09:23.

Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    An interesting bit of information from the latest meeting of teh executive committee. One of the project groups which is working on creating a project that will helo with education of people in Slovak hockey, especially coaches is led by Jukka Tikkaja from Finland.

Also, this month all the junior national teams will meet for a three day training camp, the main purpose of which is learning the playing system which was developed for the national teams by men's NT coach Craig Ramsay.

In less positive news, the U18 NT coach Norbert Javorcik has decided to quit being the u18 NT coach. The officialy cited reason is that his job with the youth teams in Banska Bystrica would leave him no time to follow the u18 NT players. There are some rumours that his decision has to do with the fact that the NT u18 team which played in the junior leagues has been scratched which is something that he disagreed with. The u18 team has now been taken over by u16 NT coach Viliam Cacho. Cacho and both of his assistant are coaches in the u16/18 Slovak league, while the majority of the u18 NT players are in the u20 league, so that is quite strange.
    Looks like this might be something that will actually be actioned, not just pure words. A national coach seminar will take place on the 20th of November 2017 in Zvolen. It is mainly aimed a coaches at u16/u18/u20/senior level , but in case of free places and interest from coaches in other categories they can join as well. The seminar is free of charge for every Slovak hockey coach.

The lectures include:

Playing system of Slovak NT - C. Ramsay
    Support of development of personality and creativity of an individual during practice - J.Filc
    Individual skills of a hockey coach - V. Orszagh
    Player of the 21st century - the needs and the goals of a system of coach development - D.Benicky, J. Tiikkaja
    Panel discussion with M. Satan, M. Handzus and J. Lasak - Requirements for playing at the highest level

SOURCE: https://www.hockeyslovakia.sk/sk/art...jovej-komunity

Slovak daily N released an interview with Jukka Tiikkaja which I think can be an interesting read for every hockey fan, not just Slovaks. Also his presentation from the Slovak national develeopment hockey seminar can be found here.

How did the Slovaks welcome you? Aren’t they complaining why some Finn is telling them what to do?
    I try to explain all the time that I didn’t come here to tell the others what they should do. I’m dedicated to working with local people, whom I’m ready to lend my professional opinions from my experience, not just from Finland. I had the opportunity to see many sport systems in the world. It’s not that I say let’s do something the Finnish way because it’s more effective. No, I want to lead discussions with locals and respect those who have achieved something in the past and involve them into the process.

What is your job?

There are more of them and they aren’t just mine, it’s a group of people whose job is developing Slovak hockey. We need more players and to make hockey accessible for all children. We want to create an environment in which they can try more sports and find out what is fun for them. So that they’re not playing just because of their parents, but because they get joy from playing. If we can get enough players into the system, at the key age of 15-16 we want to start working with them at the fullest.

How do you want to achieve the increase in numbers of players? We already had Deti na hokej. It’s a project that takes place at Slovak ice rinks and kids get hockey equipment.

We will take different routes. When it comes to quick solutions, we are already talking to the clubs about changing the schedules of times that kids spend on the ice. I think that Slovak hockey players have a schedule that is too organized, even at an early age. When a 10 year old is playing hockey, realistically they can’t manage to play any other sport in addition. We need to reduce the schedule and create space for non-organised games such as ball hockey used to be.

Wait. Are you saying that the way for improving hockey and increase the number of hockey players is to play less hockey?

Some will be able to play more, but yes. We want to create opportunities of working outside of a system where parents need to bring kids to practice four times a week. To work with schools, organize the kids’ afternoon schedule. In the afternoon they can choose hockey or other sports so that they will be physically active all day. If they want to play every day, let them play. When it comes to things such as Deti na Hokej, we want the clubs to organize such events every week, not just once per season.

So this is some kind of attempt at returning to the past? Pavol Demitra or other great hockey players had to decide at some point whether they will play football or hockey. These days kids can choose only one sport.

The times were different then, there were no computers or mobile phones. Most kids did sports. It was easy to tell which ones have passion for it. Back then they played without organization, now we need to institutionalize it. But we can’t do it alone as hockey players, we have to do it together with other sports.

Even Finland has a few NHL players, who played a different sport until age 18-19. Legends like Teemu Selanne, Jari Litmanen or Saku Koivu did a second sport until age fifteen or sixteen.

Did you do something similar in Finland recently?
    And we are still working on it. Finland has similar problems. The system also decides too early what will become of a child. When you are 12 years old, you are still a child. It shouldn’t be expected that you will know what you want to do in your adulthood. We want to create a kind of smorgasbord for children from which they will be able to choose a sport. When we learn what is fun for them and for what they have skills we can bring more challenges for them. How much kids practice should depend on children, not on the system.

Is hockey an expensive sport in Finland as well?
    It’s one of the biggest challenges that our federation is facing at the moment. Hockey is expensive also because it’s so organized, the system of competitions is changing, but kids are still traveling a lot which creates a lot of costs. If hockey become too expensive we might face a situation where only kids of rich parents will play. Then we would lose a lot of potential. We can for example lose kids who are motivated by seeing sport as a means of improving on their weak social standing.

Do you know the solutions?
    There are several of them. To make sports less organized and decrease the costs. To change the system of the competitions, limit travel. To work with the cities so that they would appreciate the value of sports and financially support ice rinks, what already happens in Trencin, but not everywhere. It’s better to invest into sports than into health care. To work preemptively not reactively. The costs in Finland are also increasing because we have more and more professional coaches even at youth levels. But thanks to that the quality of coaching has also increased.

Peter Brull is a Slovak who works for the Finnish Olympic Committee. He told us that Finnish kids also have a problem with phones and iPads. Only hockey can interest them in his opinion. Are phones just an excuse for coaches?
    Yes, at least a bit. But it’s something that we can change. We can’t just say that phones are bad and children shouldn’t use them. After all they use them to connect with friends, the world has changed. Phones support their basic psychological needs, for example they are more independent. When we only control them in sports, we tell them exactly what they should be doing and we don’t allow them freedom there comes a conflict. Sports has however a great advantage, we can get more than from computer games from it – it also has a physical element. I believe that sports will always be attractive.

Parents want to have NHL stars from their kids, they shout at them. How should they behave?
    We are already working on this here. I have already discussed with a few Slovak teams about this. If you want to become good in something, the wish has to come from your side. It’s not good when parents put too much of their own wishes into the kids. You can easily get into a situation where kids are playing because they want to make their parents happy. In such cases the kid doesn’t usually become an NHL star and usually doesn’t have a happy childhood either.

A sports psychologist told us that there are cases like Andre Agassi or Rafael Nadal, who became the best following pressure from their family, but we don’t see the thousands of kids who started to hate sports because of their parents acting in that way.
    I know Agassi’s story and I say that he hates tennis. Do we want it as well? These two cases are very specific. If someone becomes good in adulthood, he shows interest already in a young age in what he needs to do to improve. He is realistic. I wouldn’t copy these two examples. Usually you destroy more than gain with this approach. In Spanish football they select the best at age 11-12 and create special programs for them. The Spanish have 60 thousand of football players in every age group. They consider it a success when 3 or 4 play for the senior team. And there is a lot of examples of the 59 997 players, who didn’t fare that well. We must always put things into perspective.

How did Finnish hockey become successful? Can we apply everything in Slovakia?

When we start changing things that are routed deeply in the culture of the nation it’s a slow journey. Finnish culture was based on terrorist practice culture. Kids started the day at 8a.m., finished at 4p.m. and did just what someone told them to do. Be humble, be obedient, do these things and you will be successful. They did relatively easy mechanic things. And it was good that they didn’t think a lot, because if they started thinking the whole system would fall. A lot of people still work like that and sports copy that as well. Now we are coming into an age where these things are done by robots. And companies need people who are interested in their work and who want to improve.

And you brought this into hockey as well?
    Not just hockey but into other sports and there are changes within the school system as well. It's easier to implement changes when they're happening at all levels. For example when parents get the same message at school and at hockey practice. The school system is however still conservative. The change will take some time.

In Finland you changed authoritative coaching style to a more liberal one. Did all coaches agree with it? I can't imagine that happening.
    It's a very sensitive question, the answer has a lot to do with the character and ego of the coach. Teachers usually teach in the same way as they were taught. Coaches usually also start coaching the same way as they were coached. Changes are therefore never easy. In Finland it helped a lot that the authoritative style was replaced by a more liberal one in business and at school as well. And in sports coaches who applied new methods started to be more successfull. Basketball or voleyball teams were successful as well, we even have a Finnish NBA player. All this success came from systems that differed from the original one.

So once someone becomes successful, others start learning from him?

There are young coaches who are open and want to work in a new way. But when a big change should happen, it's good to have people who can influence people's opinions.

So when Miro Satan says that something should be done this way, it can work?
    Yes, I have understood this principle from Slovak society. When this person says something, I believe him without knowing the arguments. I had a very good talk with coach Vlado Orszagh yesterday. He told me about his development.

Did he change?
    That's what I understood from what he said. But I don't know to what extent he wants to speak about it publically. He changed his philosophy, he wants to understand players more and to improve the relationship between coach and player. That's what we should concentrate with kids as well. The player will always ask - can I trust this coach? For this we need trust.

Have you already seen practices of Slovak kids? What are they like?
    Yes, I even attended one of the Deti na Hokej events. I see good things as well as bad ones.

What is the difference between 12 year olds here and in Finland?
    The biggest differences come with the player base as there are seven times as many young hockey players in Finland as in Slovakia. That has influence on everything. Competition, the number of meaningful games, Here we have situations that a team shows up with too few players, so they lose 0:15 or 0:10. The lack of players also has influence on practices. When you have enough players, you can create meaningful on ice practice activities.

There is also a difference in philosophy that you have in development of players. Finnish coaches have more courage to let kids try new things, to get out of their comfort zone. So that they are not afraid to make a mistake. It can have something to do with the culture of society. Will you try yo push your limits, when you are constantly told not to make a mistake?

Our school system works like that...
    You can see that at a practice. If the whole society tries to avoid mistakes and doesn't have enough courage, hockey players will do the same. Can you learn something like that? I don't think so. In this regard, us Finns are the same as you.

In Slovakia, we know that we need to change our hockey. But we haven't agreed on how - go the Finnish way, our own or a combination of both?
    I don't believe that we can be successful when we take just the Finnish system. We are trying to discuss what we actually want from the system. What kind of player, what kind of qualities. We are trying to listen to opinions of experts that already exist. A lot of people do good things now. I think that we agree on how a player of the 21st century should be. It's also connected to how he should be on the character side of things.

We are talking about things that can change our hockey in the long run. Are you also working on things that can work short time?
    We are already talking to a few clubs about reorganisation of their activities, for example of how to use the ice surface, the changes will start taking place already next season. Of course for better access to sports we need new sporting grounds, the federation is working on that now. There will be a big coaching seminar in Zvolen on the 20th November where we will work with young coaches who coach players aged 14-20 years old. In January we are starting the next big program. We are trying to get people to understand what we want to do.

What do you think about the Slovak u20 national team?
    I haven't had the chance to get to know it properly yet. However if we want to exclude someone, we need to be very careful. The NHL draft is trying to move the age of players who can be drafted upwards. We don't know what will become of a 18-19 year old hockey players when he turns 27. It's okay to offer something to a small group if you also offer something else to the others.

In 2007 the team was created as a short term solution for not getting eliminated from the elite Worlds. Ten years have passed since then.
    We need to start from the basics. We need to have more players and once we have them we will have those who will want to improve from their own will not from the will of their parents or others. It's a long journey. In Finland there are about 3000 players in one age group while Finland has a similar number of citizens. In the u20 league there are 18 teams and the second league with 18 teams is also good. We are choosing from 500 or 600 players.

Should we keep the team in the next few years?

I don't want to comment on that. With a limited number of players you have to have something that can help you. But it shouldn't be just one thing. There are also plans for regional academies.
    SOURCE

Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    Slovak daily N released an interview with Jukka Tiikkaja which I think can be an interesting read for every hockey fan, not just Slovaks. Also his presentation from the Slovak national develeopment hockey seminar can be found here.

SOURCE
    That was a great read. Thanks for posting it. It is surprising to me just how few players are in a given age group for Slovakia. I would have thought those numbers would have been higher but, as interviewer suggests, the high cost is certainly involved.

It is not lost on me that they practice four times a week. Where I was in the US, teams practiced no more than twice a week in one-hour sessions.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Quote Originally Posted by Trim View Post
    That was a great read. Thanks for posting it. It is surprising to me just how few players are in a given age group for Slovakia. I would have thought those numbers would have been higher but, as interviewer suggests, the high cost is certainly involved.

It is not lost on me that they practice four times a week. Where I was in the US, teams practiced no more than twice a week in one-hour sessions.
    The high cost is of course a factor,but there are others as well.

For example ice rinks - it wasn't that long ago that Slovakia only had around 40 ice rinks and thee were a lot of areas where the parents would have to drive to the next city (as some do) in order for their child to play. It might not seem much from an US or China perspective but in a small country like Slovakia people are more likely not to choose what are long commutes for them. It's gotten a bit better in recent years, but there are still areas where this is an issue. And with existing rinks you often get a situation where the youngest kids start practice at 6 a.m. or so.

You also have to consider that when compared to Finland with similar population, there are more sports that hockey has to compete with that Slovakia has to compete with, the major one being football. Slovakia has a lot of great football history, while in ice hockey you rarely saw more than a handfulof Slovaks on the NT during Czechoslovakia days, in football it was a mostly Slovak squad that won the Euro championship. These days Slovakia is still more competitive than Finland in football. And while floorball is drawing kids away from hockey all over the world, Slovakia is also a powerhouse in ball hockey collecting medals at all levels pretty much every championship. Around 2010 or so Slovakia also had a not so bad handball team and there is also voleyball.

As for the practice thing, I believe this is a difference beween North American and European systems. I believe there was a discussion on this somewhere on the board. The NA system has fewer practices with more games while the European one has more practices with fewer games.

I think that perhaps it's not the number of pactices but rather the content of the practices. I remember that one of the biggest changes in Sweden when they werre doing an overhaul was that the kids were allowed to play more in practices as well. In Slovak practices you get very young kids doing drills without getting any play.

A lotof the best Slovak players of the 1999 age group (Fehervary, Ruzicka, Liska, Krivosik etc.) grew up in a club that played in a league in neighbouring Czech republic because their parents got fed up of the system where there was just drills and no play and actually founded this club.

The federation will start a pilot project of a hockey region in the Trencin region.

The Hockey regions will be a new level in the organisation structure of hockey whose task will be to connect the federation with the clubs in the region as well as looking after a united development strategy for all the clubs within the region.

The idea for the hockey regions comes from former player Richard Pavlikovsky.

SZLH president Martin Kohut: "The idea comes from Richard Pavlikovsky who gained widespread support for this idea, whether that of professional players or businessmen and later people from the federation. It's the first one of several projects of development of hockey regions, which should bring benefits not just for hockey but for the whole society.

All around Slovakia we have around 50 000 kids in the system at the youngest level. We need to build a system of how to get these children on skate, on the ice and raise them to be future sportsmen. Today, sadly, we are not able to compete with the world elite."

Richard Pavlikovsky: "We want to create an example that could also be used bz oother communities. It would concern mainly children and their physical education. We want to start working on improving. To make the space in the hockey community interesting for parents, the private sector and the public sector. We asked for support at the regional government body of the Trencin region and we found a lot of common ground."

https://www.hockeyslovakia.sk/sk/art...veho-regionu-1

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information