Thread: Erste Bank Youngstars League 2012-13

IHF Staff

Erste Bank Youngstars League 2012-13

The Vienna Capitals have published some information on the newly introduced junior EBEL. According to the report on their website 14 teams shall participate. These are the teams from the current EBEL clubs, the LA Stars (St. Pölten) and Tarco Wölfe (Klagenfurt). In the light of the previous season's results of the AUT U20 league I have no idea what Tarco is doing there but apparently they are part of the game.

Age wise EBEL II is an U20 league with 2 players U22 (born 1991) allowed per team. Start of the season is September 1st.

I hope that this league, from CRO point of view, will be used as some kind of preparation for WJC U20 D1B which Croatia will play in Donetsk, instead of giving tons of ice time to players born in '92 in pursuit of result. Team/selection that will play this league should be consist only of players born in '93, '94 and one or two best one's from '95 class.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    The Vienna Capitals have published some information on the newly introduced junior EBEL. According to the report on their website 14 teams shall participate. These are the teams from the current EBEL clubs, the LA Stars (St. Pölten) and Tarco Wölfe (Klagenfurt). In the light of the previous season's results of the AUT U20 league I have no idea what Tarco is doing there but apparently they are part of the game.

Age wise EBEL II is an U20 league with 2 players U22 (born 1991) allowed per team. Start of the season is September 1st.
    Any list of the participant teams?

IHF Member
    12 EBEL teams + Tarco Wolfe + LA Stars.

IHF Member
    What has happened to Jesenice? How come mladi Jesenice doesn't play in EBEL U20?

Presumably they don't have the money to compete.

IHF Member
    Rumours from Slohokej says they don't have money to compete due to HK Acroni not paying them what they owe them.

Besides this EBEL 2, it will remain another U20 league or clubs outside EBEl won't have a league for their juniors?

Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    What has happened to Jesenice? How come mladi Jesenice doesn't play in EBEL U20?
    Isn't Jesenice going to be playing in the new Semi-Pro league just set up to operate underneath the EBEL?
    Dinamo Riga | Manchester Phoenix | Boston Bruins | Lokomotiv 7th September 2011

IHF Member
    HK Jesenice is scheduled to play in the Tier 2 league in Austria, but it was expected that HD mladi Jesenice (farm team) was going to play in EBEL U20. One has to ask what has happened with the promised money from EBEL for the U20 teams and how is possible for non-EBEL junior teams to play in this competition?

IHF Member
    Rebolj (director of HD mladi Jesenice) does not want to back of money HKA owe them still. And apparently thats a lot
    of money. HKA is in process od going from hockey club to HD - hokejsko društvo, in pursuit of having they're depts void.

Why wouldn't St. Polten and Tarco Wolfe be able to compete if they fulfill all the necessary requirements?

IHF Member
    Wasn't the EBEL U20 league created for EBEL teams only? In fact, if I remember correctly, it was required from EBEL teams to apply to EBEL-U20 league. Now it seems that anyone with the money and the players (regardless of how good they are) can play, while competitions like Hungarian and Slovenian U20 got ruined (I'd rather used stronger word) because Austrians wanted for their own U20 competition to look nicer.

IHF Member
    Wasn't the EBEL U20 league created for EBEL teams only? In fact, if I remember correctly, it was required from EBEL teams to apply to EBEL-U20 league. Now it seems that anyone with the money and the players (regardless of how good they are) can play, while competitions like Hungarian and Slovenian U20 got ruined (I'd rather used stronger word) because Austrians wanted for their own U20 competition to look nicer.
    100% agree. Just you know, Junior EBEL also ruined the Austrian U20 championships. That's why LA Stars and Tarco Wölfe decided to join Junior EBEL, otherwise there were not a single championships they could have played.

I wonder how will our neighbours handle the situation if the Junior EBEL will be an U18 series. Then they will have to introduce again their U20 league but it will be much tougher than it would have been to keep it as is.

Junior EBEL is just the social responsiblity bullshit of the namesponsor.

IHF Member
    And EBEL teams are playing in it. While some other teams applied for it as well.
    I'd give it a chance till xmas to see how it works, who knows, maybe it will make wonders.

How did introduction of 1 team resp. from Hungaria and Slovenia ruined domestic u20 champs in their own countries?

@kreusz there is no reason to believe EBYEL will go towards u18 champs! What makes you think that?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyreone Shoelaces View Post
    And EBEL teams are playing in it. While some other teams applied for it as well.
    I'd give it a chance till xmas to see how it works, who knows, maybe it will make wonders.
    I hope you will be right. I still think with Rex that for example Tarco Wölfe in Junior EBEL is a joke. They were dead last in last season's Austrian U20 championships, with an equally balanced home and away performance: They did not got any points at home like they did not get any away.

http://www.eishockey.at/nachwuchs/unter-20/tabelle/

How did introduction of 1 team resp. from Hungaria and Slovenia ruined domestic u20 champs in their own countries?
    It has already shown. Seven years ago when Alba Volán left the Hungarian U20 championships in favor of playing with the young players in the senior league, it killed the U20 championships immediately (with AVS we had 4 teams, without them we had 3 left and the others did not feel to continue to play U20 afterwards). Now we are getting again more U20 players and wanted to introduce again the champioships for that category. Now a club which did not have U20 team in the past 7 years, once starts to play, signing the cream of the other clubs' U20 players. And we can again play an U23 championships, so the introduction of the U20 is delayed again.

How can you count on AVS U20 at home when there is still no info about the modus and everything else? It was planned that EBEL U20 wll be played on Wednesdays and Saturdays, now we have heard about double weekends, but nothing is official yet. Other teams shall wait until termins for AVS will be set or try to find out something different without them.

And of course the federations of the other countries are not informed, although even the IIHF rules request this.

@kerusz there is no reason to believe EBYEL will go towards u18 champs! What makes you think that?
    There are rumours all the time that the age limit will go down to U18 in some years.

IHF Member
    everything is official afaik, just not published yet.

@rumours - there are lots of rumours about EBEL every year, doesn't mean they're true.

HKA is in process od going from hockey club to HD - hokejsko društvo, in pursuit of having they're depts void.
    Slovenian legislature doesnt allow that. So if they are going to make a HD (hokejsko društvo) than this will be a brand new club with 2012 as their founding year and HK Jesenice will officially cease to exist (1948-2012 RIP).

This happened with Olimpija in football. The four times Slovenian champions folded in 2005 and couple of months later a new club was established (then called Bežigrad and later renamed to Olimpija). This club today plays in the first division and is officially considered as a new club, without titles.

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by kerusz View Post
    100% agree. Just you know, Junior EBEL also ruined the Austrian U20 championships. That's why LA Stars and Tarco Wölfe decided to join Junior EBEL, otherwise there were not a single championships they could have played.
    With some delay ;-)

EBYSL as it has to be put is certainly not ruining the AUT U20 championships. EBYSL simply is the AUT U20 championship just in an international framework and hopefully on a better level than the OEHV U20 league previously.

If the players in this league face better and more balanced competition as EBEL provides for the seniors compared to what would be possible in purely domestic solutions it is an advance. Related to that it seems that Tarco has retreated from EBYSL and instead Zell am See will be included (as it seems in some cooperation with RBS).

IHF Member
    With some delay ;-)

EBYSL as it has to be put is certainly not ruining the AUT U20 championships. EBYSL simply is the AUT U20 championship just in an international framework and hopefully on a better level than the OEHV U20 league previously.

If the players in this league face better and more balanced competition as EBEL provides for the seniors compared to what would be possible in purely domestic solutions it is an advance. Related to that it seems that Tarco has retreated from EBYSL and instead Zell am See will be included (as it seems in some cooperation with RBS).
    In a international framework which is certainly not an international framework.

At least what I have learned is that an international framework means that all the affected parties are involved in it, which is certainly not the case with EBYSL. We (HUN) for instance have lost a senior team in our league and a junior team.

Ironically, Fehérvár is also not happy to see that now they got a rival with Patriot Budapest, which project, contrary to EBYSL, was negotiated in advance with the Hungarian Federation.

IHF Staff
    EBYSL is absoltely international. I assume Fehervar was involved in the decision to create the junior league and if they deemed it necessary to involve the Hungarian federation I guess they could have done so. Apparently that hasn't happened. It is the same question all over again: who shall be entitled to choose? The club that bears the risk and the costs of its operations or the federation?
    From the Innsbruck to Serie A case I have learned that involving federations too much is potentially leading to disaster.

If I got it right Jesenice Mladi will be in EBYSL as well.

IHF Member
    EBYSL is absoltely international. I assume Fehervar was involved in the decision to create the junior league and if they deemed it necessary to involve the Hungarian federation I guess they could have done so. Apparently that hasn't happened. It is the same question all over again: who shall be entitled to choose? The club that bears the risk and the costs of its operations or the federation?
    From the Innsbruck to Serie A case I have learned that involving federations too much is potentially leading to disaster.

If I got it right Jesenice Mladi will be in EBYSL as well.
    I tried to explain you several times, and you ignore this all the time: Fehérvár does not covers the costs and takes the risks solely on its own. (And I'm afraid it's the same with every other clubs in the EBEL.) I know you are a big friend of the individualist approach with no regard to the others, but believe me, Fehérvár is not an isolated entity without any links to the rest of the Hungarian hockey. And it is not good when the others felt themselves fucked up.

BTW, we all know how the idea of the Young Stars League came as the condition for the new name sponsoring contract. And yes, it belongs to the european way of business that you inform in advance all those who will be affected by a decision.

IHF Staff
    As Fehervar is not an isolated entitiy in Hungarian hockey overall concerning their international activities it is also and imho foremost the club's responsibility to get an agreement with the other Hungarian stakeholders. EBEL is trying for good reasons (experience with OEHV) to act independent and self-governed. I think it is neither the EBEL job of the teams from the other countries nor from the sponsor to get an intra Hungarian consent concerning Fehervars participation in EBEL/EBYSL. Maybe I'm missing something but I can't really see what should keep Fehervar to pass on all information timely to the fellow Hungarian clubs the league and the federation.

Getting back to EBYSL, the league will start to play the upcoming weekend. Meanwhile the participation of Mladi Jesenice is fixed but initially it was announced that OEHV is denying them because HK Acroni Jesenice still owes OEHV some money from fees related to their EBEL participation. As Mladi Jesenice is a separate legal entity this makes very little sense (OEHV as usual) but obviously the issue got resolved. Thus, the following teams will be part of the two EBYSL groups:

GROUP A
    HC TWK Innsbruck "Die Haie"
    SPG Red Bull SBG/EK Zell
    SAPA Fehervar AV19
    Vienna Capitals Silver
    LA Stars Prep Jun.
    EHC LIWEST Black Wings Linz
    HC Orli Znojmo

GROUP B
    LA Stars Prep
    LLZ Stmk. Süd/Graz 99ers
    KHL Medvescak Zagreb
    Olimpija Ljubljana Junior
    EC VSV
    EC-KAC
    HD Mladi Jesenice

Format

First stage: Two home-away round robin series within the own group, one home-away round robin series against the teams of the other group. The last placed teams in each group are eliminated after these games (38).
    Second stage: single home-away round robin (10 games) within the groups of 6 determin final intra group ranking (including points won in stage 1).
    Play-offs: group crossover 1st against 2nd in the semifinal (best of 3), final best of 3;

The furthest advancing Austrian team is awarded the Austrian U20 championship.

Roster rules:

Domestic players born 1993 and younger, per game 3 non-domestic players and 2 domestic overage players (skaters born 1991 or 1992, goalies born 1989 or later) may be iced. Unused spots for non-domestic players may be used for additional overage players.
    The LA Stars (branch of the Okanagan Hockey School) are exempted from the non-domestic player restriction as the program has a strong international focus but may not use overagers (which they afaIk don't have in their program anyway).

In contrast to EBEL the YSL will use the international 3-0 (regular time), 2-1 (OT, SO) points system.

Erste Bank will provide financial support to the clubs in order to cover the traveling costs. There will be some fixed payment and a variable component depending on the distances to cover. This support is tied to several conditions the clubs have to fullfill like a minimum number of practices per week, the employment of top licensed professional (full time) coaches and some minimum level of sportsmedicine support for the players.

Competition started today in Znojmo where home team beat Innsbruck with 4:2. Three goals for Czech team were scored by Croatian forward Robert Cerovečki including the first ever in this league.
    Hokej u Hrvatskoj ima svijetlu budućnost SAMO AKO mjerodavni ljudi rade svoj posao kako treba - Pršljen
    Hockey in Croatia has a bright future ONLY IF relevant people do their job right - Pršljen

IHF Member
    So HD Mladi is playing or not?

According to the IIHF they are...

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=c4f36f608e

IHF Staff
    Linz' goaltender Roman Golovko (Czech-Russian player born 1995, came from Slavia Prague) is suspended for 25 games by "DOPS" (Department of player safety) having received a MP in the game against Zell am See/RBS for throwing his stick after the referee.
    I guess that's a quite tough sentence but at least now the young man should know where the red line is.

DOPS headed by EBEL referee supervisor Lyle Seitz is also in charge of the EBYSL disciplinary affairs.

IHF Staff
    First round:

HC Orli Znojmo - HC TWK Innsbruck 4:2 (1:0, 1:2, 2:0)
    Cerovecki 3, Pelikan resp. Schramm 2

EC KAC - Vienna Capitals Silver 6:4 (1:2, 2:0, 3:2)
    Titze 2, Mörtl, Paul, Rassl, Schumnig resp. Hollendonner, Peter, Nador, Gigler

SPG Red Bull/Zell am See - EHC Black Wings Linz 5:6 n.V. (1:3, 2:1, 2:1)
    Grabmayr, Großlercher J., Hummer, Konradsheim, Feix C. resp. Pichler 2, Lindner, Nachbaur, Winkler, Macierzynski

Wednesday 5.9.2012

HC Orli Znojmo - LA Stars II 7:3 (2:0, 1:2, 4:1)
    Telesz 3, Hobza, Fusek, Nahodil, Kastner resp. Kuznetsov, Irhuesogie, Kastner

EHC Liwest Linz - LA Stars 1:3 (1:0, 0:3, 0:0)
    Frieske resp. Evangelista, Wagner, Baltram

HC TWK Innsbruck - SPG Red Bull/Zell 3:2 n.V. (0:1, 2:1, 0:0)
    Simperl, Kuchinka, Schramm resp. Konradsheim 2

KHL Medvescak Zagreb - Olimpija Ljubljana 5:4 (3:2, 2:1, 0:1)
    Lazic 4, Blagus resp. Humar, Sotlar, Snoj, Zdesar

SAPA Fehervar AV19 - UPC Vienna Capitals 8:2 (3:1, 3:1, 2:0)
    Kocsis 3, Nemeth 2, Pillok, Sofron, Hamvai resp. Kaschnigg, Hollendonner

LLZ Stmk/Graz 99ers - EC VSV 2:1 (1:1, 1:0, 0:0)
    Strohmeier, Laritz resp. Ban

IHF Member
    Acording to several eyevitnesses Lazic scored 3 and Blagus 2 but nevertheless was highly entertaining game with good pace last night. More then 300 people came to see it, me included and was impressed by the quality of the youngsters. First period dominated by Ljubljana but they didn't capitalize, second period Medvescak was better of the two, third period less pace and less quality chances with Medvescak happy to see final whistle come as soon as possible :)

IHF Member
    Herr Treichl's dream come true: we have a competitive junior league............

Fehérvár-Silver Caps 8-2
    Fehérvár-Znojmo 7-0
    LA Stars 2-Fehérvár 1-13

good job!

Quote Originally Posted by kerusz View Post
    Herr Treichl's dream come true: we have a competitive junior league............

Fehérvár-Silver Caps 8-2
    Fehérvár-Znojmo 7-0
    LA Stars 2-Fehérvár 1-13

good job!
    Fehérvár aside, the rest of the scores look fairly competitive. Interesting to see the Hungarian club dominating so strongly, especially when you consider the respective positions of Austria and Hungary in the U20 world rankings.

It would be better that Alba play in the group with OLP and JES (both from Slovenia), its just my opinion.
    Serbian hockey
    Senior 2A - U20 2B - U18 2B

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Fehérvár aside, the rest of the scores look fairly competitive. Interesting to see the Hungarian club dominating so strongly, especially when you consider the respective positions of Austria and Hungary in the U20 world rankings.
    Villach-Salzburg 10-2, SOG: 37-15...

IHF Staff
    Fehervar is doing excellent, maybe the went a little too far with signing the cream of the Hungarian U20 players as @Kerusz has put it above? But somebody must be to blame - obviously.

Otherwise the league is seems well under way in general. LA Stars II was expected not to be on par with the rest and Salzburg puts more emphasis on the U18 and U20 rookies cups in the Czech system which makes them send many younger players to EBYSL games.

IHF Member
    Salzburg puts more emphasis on the U18 and U20 rookies cups in the Czech system which makes them send many younger players to EBYSL games.
    What's the point of establishing the league if one of the prominent members is free to ignore it? Is there anyone who actually runs the things in Austrian hockey or there is none?

IHF Staff
    What's the point of establishing the league if one of the prominent members is free to ignore it? Is there anyone who actually runs the things in Austrian hockey or there is none?
    Alas, do we have to get a some commission that makes sure that all teams behave as forseen by the great plan?

The teams in EBYSL are there on their own will, Dornbirn for instance isn't due to the fact their youth teams play in the Swiss system, and Red Bull has established the Rookie Cup system to give their players the chance to compete in the CZE system (which is arguably stronger than the EBEL environment) so now they send plenty of 95 and 96 born guys to EBYSL when there is a collision in the schedule. In terms of development there's defnitely worse things that could be done. And this league is by now not even a month old, so probably it is justified to wait and see some more.

IHF Member
    No, but national hockey federations do exist for a reason, or not? After all, we still have governments, laws, restrictions about what we can and what we can't do.

Otherwise, we have anarchy or tyranny.

IHF Staff
    There is nothing "unlawful" in what RBS is doing, they are just putting a higher priority on the Rookies Cup which they have started long before EBYSL was even in planning, that's it. I guess they have committed to also participate in EBYSL and as far as I can see they do it. Furthermore, I suppose they have not deceived their partners on how they plan to handle the parallel competitions. Then everybody agreed to start the league and now it is on the way and as long as everyone sticks to what has been agreed there is imho absolutely no need for a national federation (which by the way?) to mess around with this construction. If RBS is spoiling EBYSL the other clubs should tell them and kick them out for nex year, simple story. The national federations (at lest OEHV) should go and do their task right, there's enough to do in that respect. Imho federations which are nothing but state sanctioned private monopolies should act as to assist the clubs in organizing hockey activities and not as supreme rulers that tell everyone what to do.

IHF Member
    Fehérvár went with six players born in 1996 to the tour in Innsbruck and Zell am See, and they suffered a surprising loss in Innsbruck in the last two minutes. But Innsbruck already outshot the guests in the 2nd and 3rd periods so I think their win was deserved. Looks like this is the team composition that shall be used by the Fehérvár side in the EBYSL to develop their young players.

I did not want to create new thread. So. Dmitry Efimov, head of MHL, said that he visited Austia last month. Clubs Red Bull Salzburg and Wien Capitals want to join MHL next season (or in near future). MHL is russian based jr league, including clubs from Latvia, Belarus, Hungary and Czech rep this season.
    http://webhokej24.sk/index.php twitter: @vorkywh24

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by vorky View Post
    I did not want to create new thread. So. Dmitry Efimov, head of MHL, said that he visited Austia last month. Clubs Red Bull Salzburg and Wien Capitals want to join MHL next season (or in near future). MHL is russian based jr league, including clubs from Latvia, Belarus, Hungary and Czech rep this season.
    Thanks for the info, is there some written source for it?
    This is very interesting and somehow puzzling given that the Erste Bank U20 league (EBYSL) was just started this season and Red Bull has built up the Rookie Cup as a primary competition for its U20 team. Also, there is a good relationship between the Vienna Capitals and Erste Bank which got actively involved in reforming the Austrian juinor hockey system via supporting EBYSL and having a representative in the "Austrian hockey board" (a committee made up of EBEL clubs, OEHV and Erste Bank...no idea however what this committee is doing exactly).
    A switch to MHL would somehow counteract EBYSL of which it was recently reported that an U18 competition shall be introduced as well. From a development point of view MHL would be very interesting however.

To be honest, it is a big suprise for me to hear about Red Bull Salzburg and Wien Capitals desire to join MHL. There was rumour about some new club in Tyrol (IIRC) to join MHL, but failed due to lack of arena. This was summer 2012. Red Bull and Capitals are another story, both are established clubs. Why this move? Dont know. Maybe european divison of MHL has been creating??? Look, Energie Karlovy Vary (Czech rep), Patriot Budapest (Hungary, czech-slovak ownership), rumours about clubs from Austria, Donbass Donetsk (UKR), Slovan Bratislava (SVK), even Poland, Estonia. Latvia has one MHL A team, Belarus has two teams. That is cca 10-12 clubs. Nice to create division. Model like CHL, you know...

Clubs from Slovakia are not interested, as I know. Sad, because I am sure, Salzburg/Capitals would sign some Slovaks (not so many good enough Austrians, right?). The same did Patriot (2/3 of roster are Slovaks). So another exodus of talent for us :/.

If you have any details, let me know. Thx

IHF Staff
    I totally agree, with EBYSL just being started and Red Bull focusing on the Rookies Cup (RBS U20 play against the CZE U20 Extraliga) the rumours of Vienna and Salzburg wanting to join MHL comes absolutely surprising. EBEL for instance has decided that all clubs have to have a team in EBYSL. I can't really see how the Capitals could manage to have an EBYSL and a MHL team let alone that having both these teams is worth the costs. I posted the info also on eishockeyforum.com (Austria's biggest hockey forum) and no one there knew about Red Bulls and Caps' MHL plans.
    Red Bull already runs a very international program so in case of a MHL participation not they wouldn't have to change a lot in order to be competitive. For Vienna this is quite different their program is based on local players and as they are not even among the best teams in EBYSL they certainly would have to sign plenty of players from abroad to be reasonably competitive in MHL.
    Interesting development however, let's keep an eye on it. Thanks for sharing!

We will see ... I have confirmation of Red Bull´s plans to join MHL, of course nothing is official yet. Energie Karlovy Vary, czech MHL team, played pre-games with Red Bull a few days ago. Captain of Energie said: these games were not as good as MHL. Article at webhokej24.sk

as I know solid budget is 30 milions rubles (750 000 euro), most expensive part is travelling IMO. I can imagine 3 separate divisions (like CHL) - central european+baltics, Central Russia, Siberia+far east. So travelling dont have to be a problem, if austrian club plays only in central europe, baltic countries, maybe moscow (one a season). Cost of play-off are paid by league.

There is MHL A (33 team in two divisions, no games among team from other division in regular season) and MHL B (3 separate divisions)
    Last edited by vorky; 19-12-2012 at 22:56.

Any news about Red Bull and Wien to join MHL? I heard about czech new team based in Jindrichuv Hradec.

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...ed=0CD8Q8gEwAQ

Any news about Red Bull and Wien to join MHL?
    news

IHF Staff
    Thanks for the update! Actually from Austrian sources there was never anything reported about the topic, the clubs involved have kept their interest in joining MHL pretty much a secret.

Thanks for the update! Actually from Austrian sources there was never anything reported about the topic, the clubs involved have kept their interest in joining MHL pretty much a secret.
    yeah, according to club they will not join in 13/14 season. Have no idea about far future... I am sure they considered joining.

IHF Staff
    The EBYSL regular season has finished here's the final standings of the two groups (excluding the two LA Stars teams that were eliminated already before):

1. 106 Pt- SAPA Fehervar AV19
    2. 088 Pt- HC Orli Znojmo
    3. 069 Pt- Vienna Capitals Silver
    4. 063 Pt- Black Wings Linz
    5. 058 Pt - SPG Red Bull / Zell am See
    6. 053 Pt - HC TWK Innsbruck

1. 099 Pt - Olimpija Ljubljana
    2. 098 Pt - HD Mladi Jesenice
    3. 087 Pt - LLZ Stmk Süd / Graz 99ers
    4. 085 Pt - EC KAC
    5. 078 Pt - EC VSV
    6. 052 Pt - Medvescak Zagreb

In the playoff semifinal Fehervar faces Jesenice and Ljubljana is up against Znojmo.
    Fehervar won two games so far (4:2 and 5:2), Ljubljana ditto (6:3 and 8:4).

As no AUT team qualified for the play-offs the Austrian U20 championship is played between the two best regular season teams (measured in points), that's Graz and Klagenfurt.

For next season the introduction of an U18 league is planned that shall involve at least 30 games and 4 tournaments. Participation in this league shall not be mandatory for EBEL clubs but as it is reported a majority of the current EBEL clubs intends to participate in the U18 league and several other non-EBEL clubs from different countries are interested as well. The application deadline for the new league is set for March 29 and once it has passed and the set of participating teams is clear the format will be decided.

As usual I am all for the internationalisation of the junior leagues which will be beneficial for all teams involved. As participation in the U18 league is not tied to participation in EBEL we will directly see what the clubs think about it as well. I suppose that Red Bull will not be part of it as they do have their U18s in the Rookies Cup with the Czech teams. Furthermore, I expect that LA Stars will retreat their 2nd team from EBYSL and make it an U18 side in the junior league.
    I'm also curious which non-EBEL teams are interested to join in...

IHF Staff
    SAPA Fevervar has won the first season of the EBYSL by defeating HC Orli Znojmo with 2 games to 1. Final game in Fehervar was attended by 2000 spectators - not bad.

Thread Information