Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NHL Lockout 2012-2013

Finally first NHL'er in Denmark, against all predictions it wasn't one of the Danes. Aalborg Pirates signed Senators' Colin Greening: http://aalborgpirates.dk/nyheder?id=57 (article in Danish)
    Who seem to have had his NHL breakthrough last season, can you tell us a bit about him maybe Steigs?

He will be on ice just in time for the league-rivals clash against my team on Tuesday, which also happens to be a battle for 1st position in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by WHawks View Post
    Finally first NHL'er in Denmark, against all predictions it wasn't one of the Danes. Aalborg Pirates signed Senators' Colin Greening: http://aalborgpirates.dk/nyheder?id=57 (article in Danish)
    Who seem to have had his NHL breakthrough last season, can you tell us a bit about him maybe Steigs?

He will be on ice just in time for the league-rivals clash against my team on Tuesday, which also happens to be a battle for 1st position in the league.
    That's a pretty nice signing by Aalborg. Calling him the best North American player ever in the Danish League, as Aalborg do in their announcement, is overdoing it though IMHO.

Petri Skriko had better stats in the NHL than Colin Greening and was signed almost directly from the NHL to Herning, allthough he is admitedly not "North American" (as in of American or Canadian citizenship). Todd Bjorkstrand scored an insane amount of points in the Danish League though, and even though he never actually played in the NHL, judging by his IHL stats he probably could have.

Quote Originally Posted by ElQuapo View Post
    allthough he is admitedly not "North American" (as in of American or Canadian citizenship).
    Which is how most people understand term "North American" (well, I suppose you could count in Mexicans as well), so Skriko definitely doesn't count. He was and is a Finn.

You do make a good case with Bjorkstrand though.

If the lockout persists, we shouldn't really be surprised if we see few more players heading to so-called "second rate" leagues. After all, there certainly are more players in the NHL than KHL, Elitserien, SM-liiga, NLA and Extraliga can accommodate. And most of them will probably prefer some kind professional play to plain beer hockey.
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

IHF Prospect
    Here's my two cents on the whole lockout thing. I'm on the side of the players, because the owners were the irresponsible ones. Yes, 50/50 is fair, but if you make a contract, you should honor it. I think that a lot of the player responses have to do with player egos, i.e. "how dare you sign a contract with me and don't honor it, you..."

The salary cap was intended to prevent owners from doing stupid stuff, like signing two players for 196 million, yeah, looking at you, Craig Leopold. If all teams abided by the cap without twisting cap rules with front-loaded contracts, a 50/50 split would have been easily achievable. One of the best statistics websites for North American Hockey is NHL Numbers. I use it quite often.

For instance, Minnesotta Wild: Cap hit: 67.5; Salaries: 71.6. The two bad contracts' difference between cap hit and salary: 9 million.

And this can be done for every team who signed a free agency contract in the past few years. Like New Jersey: Forward cap hit: 29.2 million. Forward salaries: 33.4 million. The one bad salary difference between cap hit and salary: 4.3 million.

This is not the players' fault. If someone comes up to you and says "hey, want an extra million" I'd be an idiot to go: "nah, keep it to yourself, it's cool!"

Now let's take a look at the Washington Caps, who don't play Free Agency: Salary: 60.8 million. Cap hit: 63.6 million

No matter how you spin it, the Caps are fine. Maybe if people like Leopold and Lou Lamoriello listened to guys like Ted Leonsis, who said: "Of all of the tools available, free agency has the most risk, costs the most as you always over pay" - geez, I wonder, an owner saying "always overpay", maybe it's not such a smart thing to do.

And if one simply takes away the inflated Free Agency Salaries, the salary cap no longer becomes a problem, and the rest of the CBA can be worked out. So, dear NHL owners, honor the contracts that you signed, and let's see some hockey!

Sources:

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/MIN?year=2013
    http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/NJD?year=2013
    http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/WAS?year=2013

http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-ca...-george-mcphee

Welcome to IHF!

There's a common misperception in your argument, i.e. - 'if you (an owner) make a contract, you should keep it.'

Forget you 'should' - you MUST. American and Canadian courts will enforce the honoring of a contract.

The misperception that you and many people have is this......if you read the NHL standard player contracts, they call for adjustments in salaries as league revenue and costs increase or decrease.........i.e., the salaries that the players signed for are subject to downward adjustment per the terms of the contracts themselves if league revenues or costs fluctuate within certain levels.

IHF Prospect
    Thank you Marc!

You're right, I meant must. I must've been sleepy or something when I wrote that :P

Sorry about that, but I just had to use that pun. People say I'm very punny :P

I see your point, and it brings me to an interesting conclusion: the owners thought that players would read their contracts much like the owners would, with knowledge that the contractual agreements are subject to change to the league's business climate. Thus the owners viewed the contracts as strictly business, whereas to the players, it's personal. Here's Jack Johnson on the issue: http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...nd-disgraceful

The concept that the owners are trying to dismantle existing contracts that they in good faith offered, signed, and committed to is appalling, unprofessional, and disgraceful. I negotiated my own contract, without an agent, with the confidence and belief that the owner offering me that contract operated by the same convictions and principals as I do. During the summer, the players offered to play through negotiations and the owners locked us out. We want to play hockey! Where is the honor? I'm ready to play and uphold my end of the deal!
    Seems that Jack's having the same misconception that I've had, until you explained it. So the question is - what now? The Free Agency should be reformed, most of the other agreements should be kept, and we should go for 50/50. And the owners and players agree on this. What they disagree on, is the viewpoint of the contractual negotiations.

Thus we're at an impasse, as the owners believe that the contract is bound to its words, and thus the salaries could be adjusted, whereas the owners believe that they're set in stone.

Here, I think, the players have the bigger edge. For instance, let's take Russian players and the 65% rule. As a Torpedo fan, I love how advanced the KHL became. The 65% rule wasn't something that Medvedev just pulled out of his hat, it was carefully calculated. In the NHL, the players pay 35% to taxes. At least. In the KHL, they don't. 100-35=65. So NHLers make just as much money in the KHL, as they would playing in the NHL.

And the European Leagues are growing. KHL has potential to expand, especially when my team, which isn't as star-studded as CSKA, Dynamo Moscow, SKA, etc, can afford Semin and Volchenkov at 5.6 mil for the duo, at least according to the rumors. NLA signed 20 NHLers. KHL's at 33. And then we have Voynov and King playing for the Manchester Monarchs of the AHL, so the players can wait.

Can the owners?

IHF Prospect

www.fanstrike.net

Are you sick and tired of the NHL labor dispute? Join the 1200+ fans who are vowing to strike if no agreement is reached by 12/12/12. We can only have a voice by standing together and giving the NHL and NHLPA our own deadlines. Visit www.fanstrike.net & sign the petition!!

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedo_Kings View Post
    This is not the players' fault. If someone comes up to you and says "hey, want an extra million" I'd be an idiot to go: "nah, keep it to yourself, it's cool!"
    That's where I can't agree with you and why I firmly believe that fault lies on both sides. You mention teams not honouring contracts, but that is also true of players. Mid-contract re-negotiations aren't unheard of, for a start. Where was the honour in Alexei Yashin?

I also don't think you can look at the behaviour of players like Drew Doughty holding out before a new contract is signed without accepting that they have some part in forcing the hand of team owners in creating the uncontrollable spiral of player salaries. Doughty wasn't offered an extra million. He negotiated extremely aggressively to get it.

The reason we are in our current situation is due to a talent pool that is too shallow for the number of teams in the NHL exaggerating the problems of weak management and unrealistic expectations of players. To lay the blame on only one party will ensure that we repeatedly go through this cycle. They all need to change their approach to contract negotiations.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

IHF Prospect
    You're right about Yashin and Tkachuk: http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...character.html

Mid-contract renegotiations are bad for hockey, in part because they mess with the team's morale. In terms of Doughty's, first I should say that Dean Lombardi's no pushover, and that having an 8 year, 56 million dollar contract, when the 8 years are of Doughty in his prime, that's not that bad a deal. Additionally, if the cap was set at 60 million this season, all the Kings would have to do is to let Simon Gagne go, and they'd meet the cap. With the cap at 70 mil, the Kings don't have to do anything. Next season should be interesting, because the cap is rumored to be at 60 mil, and Quick's salary goes from 1.7 mil to 7 mil.

Doughty...is not a training camp holdout. Holding out is what guys like Keith Tkachuk and Alexei Yashin used to do. There’s a huge difference because those players had valid contracts and chose not to honor them, opting instead to withhold their services until their existing contract was renegotiated. Doughty does not have a contract, so how could he be holding out on the Kings? He’s a restricted free agent without a contract, not a holdout.
    Also, about Doughty:

At the ripe old age of 22, Doughty has been on the Canadian Olympic gold medal winning team, won a Stanley Cup, made the NHL's all-rookie team in 2008-09 and been a second-team all-star in 2009-10.

Those achievements have earned a spot for him on the list of the NHL's elite defensemen. The retirement of Detroit's Nicklas Lidstrom combined with his role on a Stanley Cup winning team just may give him the impetus he needs to become the lead name on a group of defensemen that includes Zdeno Chara, Shea Weber, Ryan Suter and Erik Karlsson.
    Weber's contract is 14 million, Chara's is similar to Doughty's, Suter's 12 million, and Karlsson's is one mil lower than Doughty's. 5-8 mil is reasonable for these guys, so the ones who are being paid unreasonable, are being paid that because of the owners' competitiveness, not the players' actions. In Weber's case, the team had to match a contract, and in Suter's - he was offered a deal by Leopold.

So yes, you're right, players, like Yashin & Tkachuk, should also behave, but most of the burden in the ridiculous contracts is still on the owners.

I agree that the approach to contract negotiations needs to change, but I wouldn't say that the talent pool is too shallow. Certain we no longer have 10 super stars on one team, but the level of competition is fairly high. And when fourth lines go against a superstar or two in the first line, they learn quick, or get a puck in the net, which promotes hockey player growth.

Weber's contract is 14 million, Chara's is similar to Doughty's, Suter's 12 million, and Karlsson's is one mil lower than Doughty's. 5-8 mil is reasonable for these guys, so the ones who are being paid unreasonable, are being paid that because of the owners' competitiveness, not the players' actions.
    You see, I really can't agree with such a one-sided view. It typically starts with players holding out looking for bigger contracts than the market really wants to give them. Fans then start getting difficult because their star player hasn't been re-signed yet. Collectively, the player and the fans are putting a gun to the owner's head and the owner eventually feels they have to give in if they aren't to start losing their fan base. It now means that you have a player who is getting paid what their ego thinks they are worth, not what the market thinks they are worth.

The problem is that other contract negotiations don't look at what other players are worth, only what other players are paid. So, they don't look at the guy on $6M and think "he's only really worth $4M, so I'll ask for $4.5M". They look at him and think, "I'm better than him, I want $6.5M". As a result, every single contract going forward is, in essence, a bad contract because it based upon a flawed marker.

As a result, bad contracts don't sit in isolation. Bad contracts only serve to drive the cost of everyone up. And bad contracts are the fault of both the owner and the player with the unrealistic view of himself.

I agree that the approach to contract negotiations needs to change, but I wouldn't say that the talent pool is too shallow. Certain we no longer have 10 super stars on one team, but the level of competition is fairly high. And when fourth lines go against a superstar or two in the first line, they learn quick, or get a puck in the net, which promotes hockey player growth.
    I don't think that's the point. If we take Doughty again, what were Kings going to do if they couldn't re-sign him? There really was no one else of Doughty's calibre available to directly replace him. You can only put one player out on the ice to replace him, so you can't say "let's have two $3M players rather than one $6M player". So, Kings have to either get Doughty to sign quickly or accept that they aren't going to be as strong a team which will likely cause them problems in attendance.

There aren't a lot of marquee players out there. Because teams can't have 10 superstars any more, those players are now worth even more as teams are fighting just to get one or two that give themselves some credibility amongst their fans. As an example, would Columbus still be in the league had it not been for Rick Nash?

But, as soon as you push the price up for the superstars, everyone else's gradually increases, too.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

Hockeysverige.se has an article about Chicago Blackhawks' defender Johnny Oduya who has taken the road less travelled in the lockout.

He went on holiday to Thailand and ended up playing with Bangkok local team Flying Farangs in a tournament, Land of Smiles Ice Hockey Classic.

He says that he was impressed by the level of play and the quality of the ice rinks.

"- Att spelarna kan nå den nivån av skicklighet som de har gjort är väldigt imponerande. Jag föreställer mig att de kan bli riktigt bra med lite mer coachning och istid"
    Translation: "That the players' can reach the skill level they have is very impressing. I imagine that they can get really good with some more coaching and ice time."
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

Banned
    Interesting mentions on revenue sharing... apparently 4.5% of revenue is shared... compared to some 31% in say baseball.

The NHLPA isn’t asking for a baseball model, exactly, as in their last offer, they had roughly $260-million in sharing on the table, which is more than a 70 per cent increase from where it is currently. The league, meanwhile, has been willing to go as far as $200-million (a 33 per cent increase) and wipe out restrictions such as teams in large markets (Anaheim, the Islanders, Dallas, etc.) being ineligible.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle5103058/

According to the CHL Player's Association, they of the sketchy background, have announced via Twitter that they have submitted an application to the Stanley Cup Trustees to compete for it should the lockout continue. I have this to say about it: what the fuck?
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Banned

Halak didn't end up going to Spartak......he ended up in the German Bundesliga with Lausziter Fusche.

Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    According to the CHL Player's Association, they of the sketchy background, have announced via Twitter that they have submitted an application to the Stanley Cup Trustees to compete for it should the lockout continue. I have this to say about it: what the fuck?
    According to Wikipedia, the Cup trustees agreed after the last lockout in 2004/5, that should the league not operate for an entire season again, the Cup could be awarded to non-NHL teams. They have since run away from this promise during the current lock-out though.

Anyway, if any non-NHL teams were to battle it out for the Cup, I think it should be the KHL as it is (quoted from the agreement signed by the trustees) "the world's leading professional hockey league" while the NHL is not running.

Still no progress in the NHL negotiations, but I find it interesting that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has said “To expect our best economic proposal to get better as the damage continues to increase isn’t particularly realistic,”.

Does he really mean that the NHL is not prepared to move in the players' direction at all? That the owners are only going to propose worse deals as time moves on? That does not sound like negotiations to me, but a series of ultimatums. The owners got away with that behaviour last time after a cancelled season, it looks like we're going down that road again.

Perhaps it is time to ditch the NHL entirely and move on with other hockey leagues as NHL owners clearly have no love of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    Perhaps it is time to ditch the NHL entirely and move on with other hockey leagues as NHL owners clearly have no love of the game.
    What i am thinking is this: There seems to be a big disagreement between the owners, where the rich teams just want to get going. Couldn't they just break out of the NHL, and create their own league? I'm getting sick of all these lockouts, it doesn't belong to professional sports. Think about the fans, the sponsors, the television stations. It's our money that they are fighting over, and in doing so, they are providing a worse and worse product.

As the lockout drags on with no end in sight, there is now more noise coming out of Pittsburgh that Sidney Crosby is taking more seriously, the possibility to play somewhere in Europe. Big issue is insurance coverage on such a big money contract.

Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs is the primary reason we still have an NHL lockout.

He is THE most hardline of the NHL team owners, and he has a personal vendetta against the NHLPA.

Details here:

http://www.csnne.com/hockey-boston-b...91&feedID=3352

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs is the primary reason we still have an NHL lockout.

He is THE most hardline of the NHL team owners, and he has a personal vendetta against the NHLPA.

Details here:

I think it was you who posted some article before about the guy from Boston... but this article has a mistake. It portrays him as spending up to the limit. In fact the limit was brought down, as you posted before, so hence, this bozo owner didn't do anything good... :/

Some hopeful news, Senators Capitan Daniel Alfredsson is looking at coming over during lock-out but not looking at SEL or KHL but Ligue Magnus or Serie A. Ligue Magnus seems to be front runner however the problem with coming to France is the transfer window is closed but Im sure the FFHG could be a little forgiving should he wish to play in France.

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-droit/spor...3_section_POS1
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8qSGdOL8IU...onn-Europe.gif

Details here:

A story making the rounds about Jacobs adds fuel to the notion his management style has much to be desired. When the Bruins front office staff received their Stanley Cup rings a couple of years ago, Jacoba refused to pay the tax on them which amounted to about $7,000 per ring. Many of the staff could not afford the tax bill, so the story goes that the players got together and pitched in and paid the tax for the staff. Jacobs clearly lacks in the class department

Giants of NHL in Europe

Hi Guys

if anyone interested, I have got some fotos of Jo Thornton, Jason Spezza, Del Zotto, Dustin Brown, and brutal Mike Crawford from recent games in Swiss National Ligue A, here is the link

http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/staysane71/album/286181/
    NHL clubs do not want to send players to Sochi Olympics 2011,

Just sixteen, a pickup truck,

out of money, out of luck.
    I've got nowhere to call my own,

hit the gas, and here I go.

I'm running free yeah, I'm running free.

Here is a good article that does several things:

1. Gives the background on the two prior lockouts, as well as this lockout;
    2. Summarizes the state of the current lockout;
    3. Talks about the damage that the league and the players have done, and continue to do, to the NHL brand;
    4. Gives some valid criticisms of both the owners' and players' bargaining positions; and
    5. Suggests that if the entire season is lost that up to six teams might fold!

I recommend giving it a read.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...087/story.html

Here is another article that gives a good overview of the current state of the lockout, and suggests that if the entire season is lost, certain teams might fold!

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/87...o-lockout-mess

Here is a good article showing that a major marketing study has found that the NHL is suffering a tremendous dilution of, and damage to, its brand.........including among the Canadian public, and in stunning percentage numbers. It suggests that the NHL will have a VERY hard time winning back fans.....even in Canada, and that it will have a near impossible hill to climb amongst corporate sponsors.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle6500907/

In short, the players' and owners' mutual shortsightedness and stubbornness has done a giant amount of damage to a proud league and tradition that precedes all of them, and has severely reduced the value of the NHL as a business......meaning that the owners and the players will ultimately come out as losers when the lockout ends.
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 19-12-2012 at 03:26.

Sidney Crosby played goal.....incognito......for his friend's dek hockey team in a Pittsburgh area suburb the other night.

He got a shutout in a 4-0 win, and then deflected praise to his teammates.

His team could have been forfeited as he is not on the roster, but that apparently didn't happen.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...he-dek-666815/

http://deadspin.com/5969363/sidney-c...he-other-night

http://www.thepensblog.com/2012-arch...yers-suck.html

The name of the team that Crosby defeated? 'Flyers Suck'. LOL

IHF Prospect
    Here's my "SAY NO FOR LOCKOUT" video.
    I made it fastly, and I'm bad at those videos, but yeah.
    I hope that makes some feelings on you guys, and if you just could drop a like, do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGlaovGBVH8

Here are statistics for locked out NHL players in the various leagues they are playing in, all in one big list. Offensemen, defensemen and goalies.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/lockout_scoring.php

The NHL has given a very detailed new counterproposal to the NHLPA.

It is, in essence, a complete proposed new CBA.

ALL of the details can be seen here: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412383

I think that the NHLPA can propose a couple of small changes, but if they try to ask for major changes to this latest (and by far most detailed) offer, the league will cancel the 2012-2013 season.

Frankly, I think that would be a big mistake by the NHLPA.

Looks like NHL has moved in several key issues, let's hope that the PA sees this and we can get a deal in place.

Canada should start up their own league. But include the US based teams that would need to be included, Boston, New York, Detroit and such. But once all this has ended and the league starts again, whenever that will be, everybody will flood back. If they don't where else will they watch hockey?
    Dinamo Riga, Manchester Storm

NHL

Predictions are running that the conference realingnment proposal from 2011 that was shot down by the NHLPA will be realized for the 2013/14 season. See: http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...-for-2012-2013

Why wait?

Why could they not adopt the Realignment plan now?
    I'd tweak one thing from the linked thread above, that is put Columbus in the East, so each side (East and West) as 1x7 Team "Conference" and 1x8 Team "Conference"

Even with a 48 game schedule, then:
    • within the 7-Team-Conference: 4x each opponent + 2x each opponent in 8-Team Conference = 24+16+40 games, then 8 games left as "WildCards" against whoever.
    • within the 8-Team-Conference: 4x each opponent + 2x each opponent in 7-Team Conference = 28+14+42 games, then 6 games left as "WildCards" against whoever.
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

Aftonbladet reports that the lockout is over and all NHL players in Sweden are on their way home.

Ufortunately, top star Anze Kopitar was injured in his last game with Mora yesterday. He will be out 2-3 weeks with a "Lower body injury", according to Eurosport.se.

The lockout ends with the announcement of a new, ten year collective bargaining agreement.

The number of games to be played this season, and how many games will be played against which teams, remains to be determined. However, there will not be inter-conference play this season, except for the Stanley Cup Finals.

Olympic participation in Sochi and into the future also has not been determined.

Preliminary details of the agreement can be seen here:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412844

IHF Member
    I guess this means the KHL all-star game will be without the lockout player? Too bad...

IHF Member
    The lockout ends with the announcement of a new, ten year collective bargaining agreement.

The number of games to be played this season, and how many games will be played against which teams, remains to be determined. However, there will not be inter-conference play this season, except for the Stanley Cup Finals.

Olympic participation in Sochi and into the future also has not been determined.

Preliminary details of the agreement can be seen here:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412844
    I am very relieved the lockout is over but extremely annoyed the process took to the 59th minute
    of the 11th hour to get a deal done...better very late than never.
    IMO, the NHL could not afford to have another cancelled season and I suspect that was the driving force behind the deal.

When the NHL lockout passed Christmas I had made a personal decision that when the league would resume play I'd "lock them out" for a full season. i'm going to stick to that, the NHL won't have me this year, not viewing on tv, and not in their rinks. Ridiculous that it took so long.

I feel bad to European fans who suddenly will lose all those locked out players from their teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    When the NHL lockout passed Christmas I had made a personal decision that when the league would resume play I'd "lock them out" for a full season. i'm going to stick to that, the NHL won't have me this year, not viewing on tv, and not in their rinks. Ridiculous that it took so long.
    Good for you, I know people said they would do this but I have a feeling if I look up attendance for opening night, all arenas will be above 90% capacity and the cycle will continue. I still want to see fans pull off some of their ideas such as having the players play infront of empty arenas or throwing monopoly money at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post

I feel bad to European fans who suddenly will lose all those locked out players from their teams.

Don't feel bad because this had been expected and if many, like me, would have liked a full
    season reality never was out of sight. WE SAW THEM, ENJOYED THEM and they left their marks. How
    do young and older players feel when they can practice and play with stars and learn from some of them.

We also saw that they are just humans and at the end we will miss, or not, the man not the player.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibizajp View Post
    Don't feel bad because this had been expected and if many, like me, would have liked a full
    season reality never was out of sight. WE SAW THEM, ENJOYED THEM and they left their marks. How
    do young and older players feel when they can practice and play with stars and learn from some of them.

We also saw that they are just humans and at the end we will miss, or not, the man not the player.
    well said!

Quote Originally Posted by Starkovs View Post
    Good for you, I know people said they would do this but I have a feeling if I look up attendance for opening night, all arenas will be above 90% capacity and the cycle will continue. I still want to see fans pull off some of their ideas such as having the players play infront of empty arenas or throwing monopoly money at them.
    I agree with you here. It'll be as if nothing as even happened. Which is a shame. Because it'll no doubt happen again!
    Dinamo Riga, Manchester Storm

I'm disappointed that they got a deal done. Like Steigs, once it gets this late, its not even a real season. Granted I'm not in a position to watch games in my locale anyway, but it also affects the World Championships and we shouldn't forget that the highly developed nations outside of the Big 7 (and those in, obviously) will be missing key players now. The NHL couldn't afford to miss another season but considering the market I was living in (only Philadelphia and New Jersey games), it wouldn't have been a loss for me. That league is dead to me.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member
    I don't see how it's any less of a real season. The regular season is really just a glorified qualification for the playoffs anyway, so it doesn't really matter how long it is. The only reason it's as long as it is in the first place anyway is so the owners can make more money. I wish the NHL season was always this short, start it at the regular time and the playoffs would be over in time for the World Championships.

Quote Originally Posted by -Helix- View Post
    I wish the NHL season was always this short, start it at the regular time and the playoffs would be over in time for the World Championships.
    That I could get on board with because it would at least fall in line with most northern hemisphere leagues. I'd prefer a 50-65 game season just because, with the exception of NLA, most of the big leagues have over 50. Even the NCAA champion this year will play something around 40 games and those players are 'amateur.'
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trim View Post
    That I could get on board with because it would at least fall in line with most northern hemisphere leagues. I'd prefer a 50-65 game season just because, with the exception of NLA, most of the big leagues have over 50. Even the NCAA champion this year will play something around 40 games and those players are 'amateur.'
    By 'northern hemisphere' you mean European, don't you?
    At any rate, I think there will be a price to pay for cramming in an abbreviated season, and I'm not talking about fan backlash.
    Without a regular training camp and with some players playing during the lockout and some not, there will be varying degrees of conditioning issues among the returning players.
    I predict there will be a higher incidence of injuries that can be directly attributed to playing too much hockey in too little time by players who might not be in peak shape to begin with.
    I hope I am wrong but it seems to me that was a problem from the last lockout/strike shortened season.

Banned
    But wait, this is just a preliminary deal... not the real deal itself, right? So it might be over?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woppa View Post
    But wait, this is just a preliminary deal... not the real deal itself, right? So it might be over?
    No, the I's haven't been dotted and the T's haven't been crossed, but from every source I have heard from
    ratification of this agreement by the NHLPA is just a formality...everybody just wants to get it over with.

Any thoughts on the Višňovský situation?
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

According to Aftonbladet Ilya Kovalchuk is also considering staying in SKA St Petersburg despite having a 15-year contract with New Jersey Devils.

A new conflict NHL/KHL is on the rise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    According to Aftonbladet Ilya Kovalchuk is also considering staying in SKA St Petersburg despite having a 15-year contract with New Jersey Devils.

A new conflict NHL/KHL is on the rise.
    Višňovský medntioned that several other players including one big name where considering staying in the KHL. Probably meant Kovalchuk with the big name...
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information