Thread: Castleknock On Ice Thread Resurrection

Castleknock On Ice Thread Resurrection

In December 2011 I started a thread called "Castleknock on Ice". Unfortunately due to sql errors two weeks ago some threads in the International Hockey Forums were lost, this thread being one of them. "Castleknock on Ice" was two pages long and had over 5,500 views and was still receiving posts up until a month or two ago. There were many contributors to the thread and while I can't remember everything that everyone said I will try to reconstruct the thread to the best of my ability, using my memory and bits of notes I had written. I think I put up about 25 posts but those and everyone else's posts are now gone.

Contributors would have been Mick (numerous posts), President@Flyers, RDP, Kevin Mc, Steigs, Carnie, PMC, Stu and possibly Aaron C. Apologies if I left anyone out. It is not my intention to misquote anyone or put words in their mouths so if anyone can recall anything more, please feel free to add information or correct me if I misinterpret anyone.

I suppose Castleknock ice rink generated a bit of excitement with it being the first permanent ice rink in the Republic of Ireland to open after an absence of a rink for over two years. They are generous with their ice time for the public and reasonably priced compared to the Christmas rinks that charge 15 to 20 euros for 45 minutes ice time. Within months a figure skating club, a senior ice hockey team and a junior ice hockey team had been established, all this without a big fuss and song and dance, and it managed to stay open for nine or ten months, although currently it is temporarily closed for a month or so for maintenance.

To avoid confusion my posts are typed in black and summaries are typed in blue.

My first post on this forum

December 11th 2011

"Hi, I'm a first time poster here although I've been reading this forum with some interest for a while. There's a new ice rink in Castleknock just off the Navan road opposite Brady's garage and near the tennis club. They just opened recently and it could be a permanent rink if there's enough interest. It's about the same size as the old Dolphin's Barn ice rink, a bit small for ice hockey but ice is ice. Session prices vary between 10 and 12 euros and I got a good hour and a half on the ice."

What then followed were questions about the size of the rink, so I measured it and the dimensions were 13.5 metres wide and 29.5 metres long. RDP and Carnie then went on to discuss regulation sizes, then the thread was idle for a while and everyone went to the "New Rink" thread.
    Last edited by madeleine; 18-09-2012 at 23:10. Reason: date

January to May 2012

There were discussions about the fact that neither the IIHA or ISAI (ice skating association Ireland) added the Castleknock ice rink to their website rink lists, and still to this date haven't. Eventually in April the IIHA mentioned Castleknock in a "news" feature. There were rumblings from somewhere else about Castleknock not having ice hockey insurance and being too small for regulation size, though none of this was an issue a year before when hockey was being played on a temporary rink in a car park on the roof of a city centre department store.Castleknock is fully compliant with it's insurance.

Santry Opens

26th April 2012

Santry National Ice Sports Arena opens it's doors on the 26th of April 2012. Not to the public but only to members of the IIHA, ISAI and the Irish Curling Association

Posted in May 2012

"This is what i can't understand. Santry is a national ice sports arena, it is there "to provide all the ice governing bodies an opportunity to develop their sports from grassroots to elite levels, much like an ice hockey factory producing young athletes in all the ice sports", quote taken from the ISAI website.

Which is all very well, but to get to an elite level, one would have to be training vigourously five days a week, for example, a figure skater competing on a professional level would need about 20-30 hours of ice time a week, not counting off-ice training. But none of this is an option in Santry given that the seperate ice hockey teams are only allocated a limited amount of ice time a week, different evenings to accommodate the various hockey clubs.

The figure skating sessions have 3 hours on a Tuesday and 4 hours on a Saturday morning which is a total of 7 hours a week, altogether, however this is split into different levels, so the most skating and training anyone could get for a whole week is 3 hours which isn't sufficient training time for anyone to compete on an "elite" level.

Because the Santry rink is only open for a limited amount of hours a week, i would imagine that anyone training in hockey or figure skating would still have to use the Castleknock facility which is open 6 hours a day midweek and about 12 hours a day at the weekend"

Celtic Clovers and Dublin Ducks get some hockey gear

Tuesday 29th May 2012

Eventually hockey teams The Celtic Clovers and Dublin Ducks manage to get some gear from the IIHA. PMC suggested that they were lucky as sports gear is hard to come by in any sport in Ireland at the moment, to which I responded:

"True enough PMC, but I think the Dublin Ducks and Celtic Clovers deserve the gear due to the amount of commitment, hard work and resourcefulness that they have put into establishing their clubs over the past six months"

Olympic torch comes to Dublin

6th June 2012

The Olympic torch came to Dublin today and I enquired if the IIHA could not have put forward to the Irish Sports Council and Olympic Council suggestions that participants involved in the ice sports be given a chance to carry the torch and garner some publicity for hockey in Ireland, instead of those two muppets that are Jedward. Then myself and Kevin Mc had a bit of banter about Jedward and I went on to write a scathing rant about the terrible twosome which I can't remember.

Santry to close temporarily

7th June 2012

Mick and Stu break the news that after 10 months of planning and six weeks after opening, the National Ice Sports Arena, Santry, will close it's doors temporarily until Sept/ Oct 2012 while essential work inside the rink is carried out

Insurance Issues

June 2012

Then there were questions about insurance issues with Santry, with Steigs making a lengthy contribution to which i replied:

Steigs, here is a quote from the ice skating association of Ireland explaining the temporary closure:
    "Exciting developments continue apace at the national ice sports arena in Santry with the announcement by management that the owners of the building agreed to fund and commence work on upgrading the fire and security systems and other facilities at the rink. This includes the installation of new locker and changing rooms with new showers and toilets. The work will commence immediately. this investment shows that the owners of the building fully support this project and are convinced of its potential"

This is a very heavily edited version of the explanation that I and others read on Friday 8th of June. Infact two full paragraphs have been removed. The original version went into much more detail about health and safety regulations and fire certificates which gave me the impression that the rink shouldn't have been open to anyone.
    But this was hastily removed and re-edited when I read it again, yesterday, Saturday 8th June.

There is something amiss here as regards to the sudden closure of a rink after six weeks.
    Last edited by madeleine; 15-09-2012 at 22:59. Reason: spelling

Excuse me while I go and get some cans before the off license shuts, it's Saturday night after all.

President@ flyers resigns from IIHA

June 2012

It also came to light around this time that the President@Flyers, Will Fitzgerald resigned from his IIHA position as Director of Player Operations. It is now the middle of September and he is still listed as "staff" on the IIHA website.

Madeleine, thank you for the effort you're putting in to resurrect what is, I think, a very important thread for irish hockey.
    I think I speak for everyone when I say this.

I'll be happy to post thoughts on as much of this as I can, though while I do recall some of the issues i don't really remember what it is I might have said in most cases.

June 2012

RDP and President@Flyers then had a bit of a "set-to" about viruses resulting in the President@Flyers calling a truce and offering to resolve issues. The President@Flyers then had some things to say about my negative views on the IIHA to which I replied:

"HI Will, I have been reading this forum for some time before Castleknock opened. But having no knowledge about what was going on in the IIHA, (other than what I read on this forum) I felt I couldn't comment on issues I wasn't familiar with and where there was only one side of the story put forward, apart from Pan's rantings which were a poor show compared to the rest of the posts.

I have no issues with the IIHA except for the ones I've witnessed first hand based on my experience and the experiences of a couple of people I know there which are the IIHA's complete ignorance and indifference towards Castleknock ice rink. You can see by my posts that this is my main gripe. Had I not seen this with my own eyes I may have been a little cynical about some of the more over zealous iiha-bashing posts, but now I see those posts are there for good reason.

Furthermore, I don't want it to appear as if I'm gloating on the failures or shortcomings of what is happening in Santry. I am well aware that a lot of time, money, effort and hard work went into the rink. I just think things have been handled incompetently and that it doesn't inspire much hope in an ice hockey organisation that can't get an ice rink together with proper paperwork and so on."

President@Flyers and RDP resolve their issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Madeleine, thank you for the effort you're putting in to resurrect what is, I think, a very important thread for irish hockey.
    I think I speak for everyone when I say this.

I'll be happy to post thoughts on as much of this as I can, though while I do recall some of the issues i don't really remember what it is I might have said in most cases.
    Thanks Steigs, It has taken me some time to gather facts and dates!
    'There is no authority but yourself' Crass

Electric Ireland

June/July

It emerges that Electric Ireland, formerly ESB, are to be the provider of electricity to the Santry rink when it re-opens and Mick made some comments about the irony of it all, what with unpaid ESB bills from the Ice Dome in Dundalk.

Castleknock Membership Card

June/July

The last post I can remember putting up:

More great value from Castleknock, they now have membership deals:
    50 euro membership card which entitles you to 15 sessions (public times only) and you pay 2 euro per session, resulting in a saving of 80-100 euros or 25 euro membership card which entitles you to 15 sessions where you pay 6 euro per session.

All Done!

And thanks Steigs for allowing me the opportunity to do this, as you can see there were a few important issues.

God bless your memory and your dedication Madeleine !

If I remember correctly Madeleine there was a lot of pleading from some of us to give Castleknock "Parity of Esteem" with Santry and asking that the IIHA resist the temptation to " Put all of it's eggs into one basket" lest Castleknock be squeezed out of existance, leaving a monopoly to Santry which with a somewht patchy track record in the past was quite capable of folding at short notice. "And so it came to pass" as it says in the Bible, and unlike Mark Twain the rumours of it's demise were not overly exagerated. Next weeks lotto numbers to follow shortly

Oh I think there was also some discussion, but without a resolution, about the reasons behind Will's resignation from the Executive but he has stated that all will be revealed at the EGM/AGM whenever that eventually happens. I wonder if that is the reason the AGM cannot take place now until mid November at the earliest and if that is what the consultation with it's "No Win No Fee Nobleman" is all about.

IHF Member
    Holy shit ! Madeline what A memory and I admire your fortitude , I have given up on Irish ice hockey some time ago , but now I am getting a liitle pissed off with the fact that the iiha would do all they could do stop ni players playing in south but now with closure of the rinks in south the iiha now want to utilise our rink in the north for team Ireland and wolves v flyers games etc . I am a Irish nationalist and would support team Ireland to the hilt but seems hard to swallow iiha turning their backs on us and then wanting to use our facilities.
    That being said I welcome all teams and players from the south as long as they renounce Satan (will fay )

And all his works?

And all his empty promises?

V. God, the all-powerful Father of our Lord Jesus Christ has given us a new birth by water and the Holy Spirit, and forgiven all our sins. May he also keep us faithful to our Lord Jesus Christ for ever and ever.
    Last edited by AaronC; 16-09-2012 at 03:35.

IHF Member
    We need to get customs and excise , psni and border control on the case to stop the virus that is willy fay and iiha from getting into northern Ireland or else there destructive force will close the ice bowl and the odyssey lol

IHF Member
    The worst thing is I know for a fact some people and companies in the south are trying to resurrect the Irish rinks and willy fay is trying to ride on there coat tails .

IHF Member
    Those people so supportive of willy in the past are ominous in there silence .
    That in includes the opposite of Salt family that was always catered for by willy .?

IHF Member
    100 posts from me hurrahhhh
    Btw.

For he's a jolly good fellow etc. you silver tongued centenarian

And Madeleine is on 99 in a much shorter time. I've just passed 666 - you'd think Willy would have sent a card or something
    Aaron havn't heard from you in ages and now this verbal deluge, I would imagine the opposite of Salt is sweet ?

Post Numbers

Regarding post numbers Mick, technically this would be my 100th post but because of the missing Castleknock thread when I look up my "forum posts" it only records 72 posts. Now although it says under your avatar that you've posted 670 times unfortunately if you look up your forum posts there's only 471 posts recorded. Which, worryingly, means that 199 of your posts are missing and you wouldn't have put up 199 posts on the Castleknock on ice thread, so that gives me concern that other threads are missing or have gone missing throughout the years.
    As I stated already I saved all the threads on the first page of the Ireland forum and I suggest you do the same and save them on a memory stick.
    Last edited by madeleine; 16-09-2012 at 22:03.

To be honest Madeleine I am not in it for the post count, and only noticed it when Aaron pointed it out. It would be more than enough if people see a glimmer of hope or a germ of truth in what I have written and can identify the current administration for what they really are. We would really have done a great days work for the sport if folks take on board the points we have made and the issues we have highlighted and consign Fianna Fayl to the scrapheap much like their failed political counterparts on the opposition benches in the Dail. The count at the next AGM is all that really matters.

Ok, sorry to be pedantic but I have a borderline OCD tendency to count things!

No absolutely nothing to be sorry about. It is I who is compulsively slapdash and have no backup plan if systems fail.

And not to forget AaronC that you offered to drive to Castleknock on a 6hr round trip to help out the LTP, that post isn't lost, it's on the "New Rink" thread.

Castleknock on Ice will re-open around the 22nd of October, thank God, I miss skating : )

Castleknock on Ice has opened up again from today

That's great news!

Welcome back the 'knockers

Ha Ha - The 'Knockers won't be Knocked!!!!!!!!!!!

Great to be back skating again and the quality of the ice surface was excellent today.

Unfortunately "Castleknock on Ice" is closing on the 20th January. The proprieter is looking for a new premises, see more on Will Fitzgerald's thread : http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...th-to-strength

I have faith in them that they will find one and will continue to do as successful a job as they have done for the past 14 months by accommodating ice hockey practice, learn to play and figure skating classes, and may I take this opportunity to say thank you for providing us all with a rink and for the enjoyment it brought everyone.
    'There is no authority but yourself' Crass

Hi "Truth Hurts", your post has been lost due to the site going down, this happens sometimes. Do you want to post your message again, you were talking about ice rinks and a figure skating coach.

I responded but my post has also been lost so if you want to repost your original message.

In the last paragraph of your post, "Truth hurts", you said you brought your two children to skating lessons in Castleknock but realised the skating coach, Donna, wasn't operating under the "official" National Governing Body of ice skating and you were therefore questioning the credentials of Donna herself and her club's accreditations.

I trust that the official NGB of ice skating you refer to is the ISAI (Ice Skating Association Ireland) who, as far as I can see, has done little in recent years to promote, foster or develop the sport in Ireland.

I know Donna because I skated at Castleknock myself. She is independent of the ISAI and has set up her own club. She is a fantastic coach with many years of experience and has been successfully running skating classes for well over a year at Castleknock as well as teaching at other ice rinks over the years.

At least Donna is actually providing lessons for children and adults who are willing to learn, some of whom aren't neccessarily intending to skate on a competitive level, like myself, but who just want to learn for the fun of it.

For the figure skaters of a more competitive level she organises regular shows and competitions, ran a skating camp during the summer and arranged off-ice training and choreography classes. Infact, Donna's club featured on RTE television helping to promote ice skating here in Ireland.

So the way I see it is that Donna and her coaches are doing plenty to provide a service that no-one else has done as well as developing and maintaining an interest in the sport. She is professional and dedicated to her work.

I don't see the National Governing Body, ISAI, doing anything on the scale of the work that I've mentioned above except for two weeks skating lessons in Santry and weekly lessons spread out over two months at the temporary Christmas rink in Dundrum. The ISAI never once mentioned Castleknock on ice on it's website for the 15 months it was open.

I don't think the parents of the children being coached, that you mentioned in your original post, are worried about credentials and certificate "accreditations", to be honest, I think they're just happy that their children are doing something they enjoy and that there is someone willing to teach them.

We have a situation here where the NGB aren't running lessons and doing little to nurture the sport versus an independent club that has been successfully running affordable lessons for 12-14 months, Now I'm not a member of the ISAI or Donna's club, but given the choice I know who I'd rather join, that's enough credentials for me.
    Last edited by madeleine; 12-02-2013 at 10:05.

I have known Donna for years and have always thought her to be a great teacher and a super person. She has a lot to pass on and unless your kids are up to competition standard I fail to see what worries you have about the credentials of their teacher, it's not as if we are spoiled for choice in this country, with either rinks or skating teachers.
    While I have not read your post I cant help but wonder why you would come here and undermine a well respected member of the skating community who provides a great service to enthousiasts.
    Even the name you have chosen seems suspect I have to say.

I regret that post being lost - the poster did say he/she wanted co-operation between the skating community and NGB's, but then went on to purposely name Donna and there was also questions raised about the viability of the Castleknock rink itself with the poster denouncing it as being a temporary rink in a shed. I felt I had to respond because, even though the post has gone, it did have several viewings, and when I responded about six hours later my post was lost too. Taking pot-shots at the rink, then Donna, can only leave me reason to believe it's someone associated with the ISAI as it seemed to be more directed towards figure skating.

I'll tell you the truth, "Truth Hurts":
    There was no mention of the Castleknock ice rink on the ISAI website because the ISAI, like the IIHA, were holding out for the BIG one in Santry. When that never came to fruition then the ISAI may have possibly found themselves sidelined and may have been unable to book themselves ice time at Castleknock because after already being open eight months their schedule was full with public skating, ice hockey training and pick-up every week night, learn to play and figure skating lessons at the weekend, thus leaving the ISAI without ice time* through their own fault and inveterate snobbery.

*I only know this because there is a gripe on Boards.ie about the ISAI not being able to secure ice time at Castleknock.
    Last edited by madeleine; 12-02-2013 at 13:58. Reason: spelling

Thread Information