Thread: Elite Leauge Highlight Show

Elite Leauge Highlight Show

Sky Sports Elite League Highlight show Week 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvpRX...ature=youtu.be

Considering it's Sky Sports it's actually turned into a decent show. Last season was ok too! All they need to do now is show some live games each weekend! Slowly, Slowly ofcourse.
    Dinamo Riga | Manchester Phoenix | Boston Bruins | Lokomotiv 7th September 2011

IHF Member
    Would be good to have a regular timeslot instead of changing each time so I just settle for watching on youtube later on. There seems to be a lack on consistency the camera at Murrayfield is deemed not to be good enough to show yet they allow the highlights from Braehead which look like they are filmed on a phone camera. The league needs to get a sponsor or media partner so that generally all highlights are of good quality and can be shown and reflect well on the league. In terms of live games it is tough to get weekend slots as that is generally the busiest time for live sports. Some of the larger teams were reluctant for live games as it appear to reduce the attendance of those games and they probably are getting little if anything for the coverage. Would like to have seen the challenge cup final go to a one off game and have it live on tv. Live games haven't really had great viewing figures but to be fair Sky never really marketed them and treated them as a schedule gap filler. For live games I would probably try to keep it to the bigger occasions where the arena is going to be full or near full whether or not the game is on tv and this reflects well on the sport and shows it to be a highly attended indoor sport. Sky's coverage in the early days of the superleague was great but so were crowds and atmosphere in arenas. The elite league need to keep a presence with their highlights show live play off finals and league table and results on sky sports news and this builds up credability. It really needs to get to the stage where Sky are approaching the elite league and offering some money (even if not much initially) to show regular live games, otherwise sky will do it where they need time filled, outsource production to someone with less resources and not really market the product and put the game on at an unconvienant time. Basically then it is nearly all existing relatively hardcore ice hockey fans that watch.

In terms of the actual show I think they have made a good improvement this year with the use of gadgets, match stats and players twitter entries. Having a different guest each week should keep it fresh. Would like to see maybe the odd round up of scores and goals on sky sports news.

There seems to be a lack on consistency the camera at Murrayfield is deemed not to be good enough to show yet they allow the highlights from Braehead which look like they are filmed on a phone camera. - Have you seen some of the KHL teams video quality?? But I agree still. It wouldn't be hard to either get a sponsor or make a standard for all teams to use certain equipment for recording. Slightly off-topic but Edinburgh's time must be short is this league now. 700 people at their games and they NEVER win can't be a good mix.

In terms of the actual show I think they have made a good improvement this year with the use of gadgets, match stats and players twitter entries. Having a different guest each week should keep it fresh. Would like to see maybe the odd round up of scores and goals on sky sports news. - I agree the show looks alot more professional. I'm sure the girl presenter from last season was to try and up the views! According to the League it's self doesn't the show get around 400,000 views on average? If so that's not a dreadful number. Sky Sports show Netball and Bowls... It HAS to be doing better then them especially! Good point about Sky News though. I know they show the fixtures and league table but a few minutes to show the goals would be nice of them!

IHF Member
    I'm based in Edinburgh now so have become a Caps fan with them being my local team as Ayr Scottish Eagles were my team but they are no more. I agree 700 people is not an ideal number financially but they have been able to run on that. Scott Neil the owner also owns a share of the rink so I don't imagine paying for ice time is much of a problem. With 3 other Scottish sides in the league there is less to travel and even less now with the new conference system. In terms of always losing two years ago it was dreadful and the 2nd half of last season was dissapointing. Edinburgh have only once finished bottom of the elite league (that terrible season two years ago) and have made the play offs 4 out of 7 seasons. The make it work even if it means players driving the team bus or needing to get a borrow of a kettle from fans. Just last week they beat Braehead who I would expect to probably have a wage budget triple that of the Caps. I think as long as Scott Neil is about then the Caps will have a team at a high level. There is no option really even for semi pro hockey in Scotland it would need at least 3 ideally all 4 of the Scottish elite teams to be part of it and probably also need the likes of Manchester, Hull, Whitley and at a push maybe Solway. To be fair Caps live within their means hence during the terrible weather 2 years ago and crowds dropped they couldn't adequately replace players they lost. Last season they had great first half but lost steam but still finished above Fife and were just 2 points off the final play off slot. I expect Edinburgh to be pretty competitive at home especially against other north conference teams but even south teams visiting will need to work for a result. I think on the road it will be tricky with some players maybe having work commitments during midweek roadtrips and smaller ice pads makes their less physical style less effective.

I haven't seen the viewing figures for the show, though that sounds a good number but doesn't really stack up for a show shoved into the late hours on sky sports 4. Though maybe they also add the youtube viewings. It is probably a believable number for the live play off final. Figures can be subjective I guess as plenty of pubs have sky sports on but if its not a big football match how many are actually watching the screen. I do think the NHL have poorly marketed themselves through UK media. Channel 5 at least used to show a game a week and every stanley cup final game, since then it went on subscription based channels so generally it is existing fans of the NHL that watch and it doesn't attract new fans. If it had at least been on sky sports then it would have a massive customer base and would be on pub screens perhaps if no other big sport was on. With Sky people can get the best and the local leagues of their sports in football e.g. you live in Scotland you get the SPL but also get the Spanish league and English leagues which are viewed as the best in the world. Maybe if the NHL was on the same platform as the elite league and scheduled close together people would watch without meaning to.

It is important to make the league as competitve from top to bottom as possible, the new conference system I think should help this though like I said Edinburgh away to a Nottingham or Sheffield in a midweek match will probably not be seen as that competitive but blow out scores do happen now and then with any league just hopefully not too often but playing less of these away games will maybe mean they can better prepare and raise their game in rare occasions. If Edinburgh, Dundee, Fife and Hull left it wouldn't help the league, someone has to finish bottom, these teams can be competitve but have business plans than can work even if they ain't that successful, the arena club have much bigger fixed overheads so if their standing drops and their crowds drop they would struggle to function and would possibly just try and spend money they don't have digging themselves back up.

Great thread guys. Thanks for the link....I enjoyed watching the show.

Week 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JlKu...ature=youtu.be

Thanks Marc good to hear!

So many people, IHF members and non-members alike, read the threads here at the forums, and most of the time people don't post in reply, or simply say 'thanks.' I think it is important to let people know from time to time that we appreciate those who take the time to post and share things here at the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    So many people, IHF members and non-members alike, read the threads here at the forums, and most of the time people don't post in reply, or simply say 'thanks.' I think it is important to let people know from time to time that we appreciate those who take the time to post and share things here at the forums.
    I agree. I do it also just so people know that somebody out here cares what they're sharing. Like Starkovs with all his league updates. Must take him ages to post it all!

Week 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOgXb...ature=youtu.be

Theres alot of facebook talk about more NHLers signing in the ELITE League. Sheffield and Coventry have supposedly got some people. Along with Drew Miller who's moved to Braehead already so next weeks/weeks after show might be quite interesting to see.

Apologies for being a few weeks behind. Had some PC troubles! Buy now with a new shiny one.
    Dinamo Riga, Manchester Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
    Apologies for being a few weeks behind. Had some PC troubles! Buy now with a new shiny one.
    Was wondering what happened to you and saw other day you had name change, nice to see you back again! :) Cheers for posting the show, never really followed the league before but starting to check up on it. Keep them coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Starkovs View Post
    Was wondering what happened to you and saw other day you had name change, nice to see you back again! :) Cheers for posting the show, never really followed the league before but starting to check up on it. Keep them coming.
    I'm in that same boat. Thanks Gareth for keeping us updated on the show as the EIHL posts them to YouTube.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Hey guys. Yeah everything went wrong with the old laptop. New PC had to have windows 8 - didn't want it but it's not so bad I guess. I preferred me to have a Hotmail/live account so I made a new email for everything! I tried to just change what I needed on the site here but couldn't figure it out :P

Im starting to get bored of the show.. They need a new editor. They only show half of the goals, fights etc.. and spend so much time with pointless interviews, or Simmsy blabbering on about something none hockey related.

Quote Originally Posted by Viperdan View Post
    Im starting to get bored of the show.. They need a new editor. They only show half of the goals, fights etc.. and spend so much time with pointless interviews, or Simmsy blabbering on about something none hockey related.
    I haven't watched it for awhile either. It's pretty stale! Why also is there only ever Simms that is involved with anything hockey related? Yeah he's been around UK hockey forever and he claims to know his stuff but, he's crap and REALLY biased!

Week 21 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Bv-693BMfKI

Ok so I did update this and my English Premier League thread - then the website being down seem to have wiped all that I did.. so here is week 21!

Thread Information