Thread: 2013 IIHF World Championship Divison III Qualification

IHF Member

2013 IIHF World Championship Divison III Qualification

Think this deserves its own thread.

Just one week to go.

Hope the IIHF provide 'live' score updates.

Geoff H

IHF Member
    Looks like IIHF site is up http://www.iihf.com/competition/311/statistics.html

Full strength Greek and Mongolian teams, going to be an interesting tournament.

Forza Georgia

IHF Member
    Great news. We get 'live' scores and probably all four teams show up.

I'm still backing UAE to beat Greece and win, based on the two teams' most recent wins over Mongolia, although Greece beat UAE 7-1 in the 2010 IHWC.

I think Mongolia will edge Georgia for third, despite Georgia being the best prepared team after their long training camp in Turkey.

Of the four teams only Greece has ever won a game in the IHWC.

Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffH; 10-10-2012 at 20:51.

The IIHF site merely shows the Greek and Mongolian entry lists......it doesn't mean all of those players will come (though hopefully they will).

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    The IIHF site merely shows the Greek and Mongolian entry lists......it doesn't mean all of those players will come (though hopefully they will).
    It better be the final roster for Mongolia. 15 skaters and 2 goalies is the minimum allowed by the IIHF for senior World Championship tournaments, anything less and they'd be disqualified right?
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Usually at this level when you see an entry roster, it'll also be the final one.
    In the case of Mongolia I'm sure it's the final roster, and they're probably already in transit on their way to the tournament.

IHF Member
    Interesting piece from the IIHF

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=ed37bc8f07

Confirms that Georgia are ambitious and well prepared.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Georgia entry list now posted on the IIHF site

http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/311/IHM3110GEO_32E_2_0.pdf

See Alipov is still the coach. Do they have a father and son on the same team ?

Geoff

IHF Member
    Interesting entry list for Georgia, with more than half of the team guys who played in the 2010 friendlies, still hard to read without any details from their camp in Turkey.

Round one, im going to go for Mongolia getting their first IIHF world championships win, in a close contest. Then Greece to beat UAE again in a close game.

Looks like a father-son combo on the Georgian roster. There's one on the Greek roster too, in case nobody noticed.

Greece should win their first match, and the tournament, based on their prelim roster. UAE probably best bets for second, though Mongolia or Georgia could well throw an upset.
    Mongolia's roster is always filled with question marks, it changes a lot. Though, their top names are still present, would still be great to see Altangerel Ichinnorov make the trek from Luxembourg to suit up for the Mongolian side again. He would give their offense a good lift, and might make the difference in a close game.

IHF Member
    I'm expecting UAE to beat Greece based on ;

UAE playing at home
    Greece squad ageing
    lack of ice time for Greek squad
    UAE beating Mongolia 9-1 at AWG 2011, whereas Greece beat them 4-1 earlier this year in the IHWC Div III

Hoping for good showing from all teams and close games.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by ukfan View Post
    Interesting entry list for Georgia, with more than half of the team guys who played in the 2010 friendlies, still hard to read without any details from their camp in Turkey.

Round one, im going to go for Mongolia getting their first IIHF world championships win, in a close contest. Then Greece to beat UAE again in a close game.

IHF Member
    So Mongolia win 6-0 against Georgia, congratulations for their first world championship win. Georgia have their program off the ground but you have to fear for anyone whos gives up 40+ shots against the Mongolians.

Again Mongolia with the game ending rough stuff, they are developing a reputation which is a shame. Bayarsaikhan Jargalsaikhan is the Division III Sean Avery, a 5ft 9in goal scoring firebrand, one of my favourite players at this level.

Second, for Mongolia. They got a 5-0 victory (by default, but noted as a win nonetheless on the schedule) against Armenia in 2010.

Still, their first earned win, and congratulations to them. Bayarsaikhan has a lot of skill, and is in the history books as scoring the first-ever goal for Mongolia in a world championship game (I remember it clearly still).

What tends to happen with Mongolia is that they are all pretty small guys, so they'll get pushed around throughout a game by the usually-larger opposing teams. In some cases (not all, but definitely in some), the refs won't call some of the additional roughing and the guys will get a little upset... by the end of the game it boils over.
    I remember that from 2007, some other teams would take a few gratuitous shots through the game and the Mongolians would hold back until the very end, then look for a little payback.

We're seeing improvement in that team though, from repeated exposure to the higher competition. It's nice to see, and while i still think Greece and UAE are going to come out of the tournament, a Mongolian upset is not out of the question here.

Is this technically WC? It's only qualification for it, no? First real WC win is still in the stars. ;)

In reality, with one more team playing it could have been a Div3B...so yeah I'd still call it a WC win.

IHF Member
    UAE 2 Greece 0, well this tournament got interesting real quick! Asia 2 Europe 0, nice to see.

The big players stepped up for the UAE, Al Suwaidi with the shutout and the captain Juma Al Dhaheri with a hand in both goals.

Mongolia v Greece just became the key game of the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Oz View Post
    Is this technically WC? It's only qualification for it, no? First real WC win is still in the stars. ;)
    Teams do get world ranking points for their finishing position, so you'd have to call it so, yes.

UAE winning over Greece... this throws things up in the air pretty good. Will be very interesting to see where things go from here. Congrats on UAE for their first-ever world championship victory now as well!

Day 1

Mongolia - Georgia 6:0 (1:0, 2:0, 3:0)
    1:0 - 12.01 Bayarsaikhan Jargalsaikhan (Namjil)
    2:0 - 21.11 Bayarsaikhan Jargalsaikhan(2) (Namjil)
    3:0 - 27.51 Munkhzaya Enkhtur (Ganbold) SH1
    4:0 - 42.48 Munkhzaya Enkhtur(2)
    5:0 - 46.08 Mishigsuren Namjil (Enkhtur) PP1
    6:0 - 57.31 Batbold Munkhbayar (Dorjsuren)
    PIM: 8x2+1x10 - 2x2 SOG: 41-13 Att: 70
    Goalkeepers: Munkhbold Bayarsaikhan 13/13 (Baatarkhuu Bazarvaani 0/0) - Kakha Ambrolava 35/41
    Ref: Djordje Fazekas (SRB) Linesman: Louis Beelen (NED), Alejandro Garcia-Banos (ESP)
    MGL: Bayarsaikhan Munkhbold (03.07 Bazarvaani Baatarkhuu); Sukhbaatar Och, Ganbold Tamir +A, Jargalsaikhan Bayarsaikhan, Enkhjargal Bayarjargal, Baatarkhuu Tserenbaljir, Altansan Erkhbayar, Zorigt Batgerel +A, Bayajikh Boldbayar, Enkhtur Munkhzaya, Namjil Misigsuren +C, Altankhundaga Altanbayar, Dorjsuren Zolboo, Munkhbayar Batbold, Zorigoo Od-Erdene
    GEO: Ambrolava Kakha; Geperidze Amiran, Jeiranshvili Gocha +A, Kavkasidze Paata, Jeiranashvili Giorgi, Archvadze Gurami, Vedyapin Mikheil, Davitashvili Mikheil +C, Gigauri Girogi, Oganeziani Gia, Davidov Ilia +A, Gurgenidze Demuri, Gogoladze Girogi, Bakhtadze Nikoloz, Arushanov Arkady, Natroshvili Irakli

United Arab Emirates - Greece 2:0 (1:0, 1:0, 0:0)
    1:0 - 15.34 Juma Al Dhaheri (Al Mheiri) PP1
    2:0 - 34.07 Mubarak Al Mazrouei (J.Al Dhaheri)
    PIM: 5x2 - 6x2 SOG: 39-25 Att: 357
    Goalkeepers: Khaled Al Suwaidi 25/25 - Ntalimpor Ploutsis 37/39
    Ref: Ladislav Smetana (GER) Linesmen: Benas Jaksys (LTU), Michael Rohrer (SUI)
    UAE: Al Suwaidi Khaled; Al Haddad Ali, El Jachi Mohamad, Al Mheiri Suhail +A, Al Dhaheri Juma +C, Al Mazrouei Mubarak, Du Debs Ebraheem, Al Shamisi Mohammed, Al Darmaki Salem, Al Shamisi Omar +A, Al Muharrami Obaid, Al Dhaheri Mohammed, Al Zaabi Mohamed, Al Dhaheri Rashed, Al Blooshi Faisal, Al Sarour Ali, Al Suwaidi Faisal, AL Jneibi Yahya, Al Nuaimi Saeed
    GRE: Ploutsis Ntalipor; Chatzigiannis Nikolaos, Tilios Orestis +A, Malamas Dimitrios, Kalyvas Georgios +A, Kalyvas Dimitrios +C, Ziakas Ioannis, Papadopoulos Nikolaos, Valsamas-Rallis Alexandros, Adamidis Geirgios, Adamidis Kyriakos, Souras Diogenis, Kanellis Antonios, Efkarpidis Lazaros, Kouleles Gergios, Fournogerakis Eleftherios

IHF Member
    Good first wins for UAE and Mongolia.

I'm disappointed Georgia didn't run Mongolia closer. Their other two games will be very tough.

Can Mongolia surprise Greece for the second qualifying spot ? Probably not but could be close.

Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffH; 15-10-2012 at 09:53.

IHF Member
    Greece demolish Georgia 13-0, not an unexpected scoreline. Georgia only outshot 2-1, with 19 shots themselves. So not a massacre, difficult to judge without watching the game and seeing what sort of shot quality they were and how far the Greek foot was of the gas in the 3rd period.

Mongolia at it again, 43 minutes of penalties through two periods, still a close score, last period looks tasty. The Mongolians need to be careful no one gets suspended for the final game against Greece.

Congrats to the UAE, their win puts them through to Division III, now just a winner take all between Mongolia v Greece tomorrow. Would be nice to see Mongolia go through and Georgia to atleast get on the board.

Day 2

Greece - Georgia 13:0 (4:0, 7:0, 2:0)
    1:0 - 01.47 Dimitrios Malamas
    2:0 - 02.58 Ioannis Koufis (D.Kalyvas, Tilios)
    3:0 - 06.10 Dimitrios Kalyvas (Valsamas-Rallis, Efkarpidis) PP1
    4:0 - 10.26 Georgios Kalyvas (Tilios)
    5:0 - 27.34 Dimitrios Malamas(2) (Efkarpidis)
    6:0 - 28.35 Ioannis Koufis(2) (Tilios, G.Kalyvas)
    7:0 - 33.29 Ioannis Koufis(3) (D.Kalyvas, Papadopoulos)
    8:0 - 34.42 Nikolaos Papadopoulos (G.Adamidis)
    9:0 - 35.47 Dimitrios Kalyvas(2) (Koufis, G.Kalyvas) PP1
    10:0 - 36.22 Ioannis Ziakas (Papadopoulos, K.Adamidis)
    11:0 - 37.12 Alexandros Valsamas-Rallis SH1
    12:0 - 42.05 Georgios Kouleles (Efkarpidis, K.Adamidis) PP1
    13:0 - 46.50 Ioannis Koufis(4)
    PIM: 6x2+1x10 - 6x2 SOG: 41-19 Att: 67
    Goalkeepers: Ntalimpor Ploutsis 19/19 - Kakha Ambrolava 28/41
    Ref: Rasmus Toppel (DEN) Linesmen: Alejandro Garica-Banos (ESP), Todor Krastev (BUL)
    GRE: Ploutsis Ntalimpor; Chatzigiannis Nikolaos, Tilios Orestis +A, Koufis Ioannis, Kalyvas Georgios +A, Kalyvas Dimitrios +C, Ziakas Ioannis, Papadopoulos Nikolaos, Efkarpidis Lazaros, Valsamas-Rallis Alexandros, Malamas Dimitrios, Souras Diogenis, Fournogerakis Eleftherios, Adamidis Georgios, Adamidis Kyriakos, Kanellis Antonios, Kouleles Georgios
    GEO: Ambrolava Kakha; Geperidze Amiran, Jeiranashvili Gocha +A, Oganeziani Gia, Jeiranashvili Girogi, Archvadze Gurami, Bakhtadze Nikoloz, Davitashvili Mikheil +C, Gigauri Girogi, Kavkasidze Paata, Davidov Ilia +A, Gurgenidze Demuri, Gogoladze Giorgi, Arushanov Arkady, Vedyapin Mikheil, Natroshvili Irakli

Mongolia - United Arab Emirates 2:3 (0:1, 1:2, 1:0)
    0:1 - 18.44 Juma Al Dhaheri (Al Mazrouei)
    1:1 - 24.01 Mishigsuren Namjil
    1:2 - 25.51 Mubarak Al Mazrouei SH1
    1:3 - 28.47 Mohammed Al Shamisi (O.Al Shamisi) PP1
    2:3 - 59.52 Tserenbaljir Baatarkhuu (Zorigt)
    PIM: 14x2+1x10+1x25 - 11x2+1x10 SOG: 14-55 Att: 246
    Goalkeepers: Munkhbold Bayarsaikhan 52/55 (Baatarkhuu Bazarvaani 0/0) - Khaled Al Suwaidi 12/14
    Ref: Djordje Fazekas (SRB) Linesmen: Louis Beelen (NED), Benas Jaksys (LTU)
    MGL: Bayarsaikhan Munkhbold (11.13 Bazarvaani Baatarkhuu); Sukhbaatar Och, Ganbold Tamir +A, Enkhtur Munkhzaya, Jargalsaikhan Bayarsaikhan, Namjil Mishigsuren +C, Altansan Erkhbayar, Zorigt Batgerel +A, Enkhjargal Bayarjargal, Purevdorj Batzaya, Baatarkhuu Tserenbaljir, Bayajikh Boldbayar, Altankhundaga Altanbayar, Dorjsuren Zolboo, Munkhbayar Batbold, Zorigoo Od-Erdene
    UAE: Al Suwaidi Khaled; Al Haddad Ali, El Jachi Mohamad, Al Mheiri Suhail +A, Al Dhaheri Juma +C, Al Mazrouei Mubarak, Bu Debs Ebraheem, Al Shamisi Mohammed, Al Shamisi Omar +A, Al Sarour Ali, Al Muharrami Obaid, Al Dhaheri Mohammed, Al Zaabi Mohamed, Al Ahaheri Rashed, Al Darmaki Salem, Al Blooshi Faisal, Al Suwaidi Faisal, Al Jneibi Yahya

IHF Member
    3-2 to the UAE final score, another 20 mins of Mongolian penalties and so nearly a heroic comeback.

It was funny, i looked at the live score half way through the last period, tonnes of penatlies a Mongolian goal and no sign of my boy Bayarsaikhan!
    So i checked the entry list thinking he may be suspended or injured, okay hes on there so hes playing. Went back to the live score to see 55:49 Bayarsaikhan Jargalsaikhan 2 Mins for Slashing.

The Mongolians changed goalies after the third UAE goal, then Munkbold came back at the start of the 3rd period, the replacement faced no shots (rather surprisingly), so i wonder if there was some rough stuff during the goal and he took a knock. Hence some of the Mongolian rough stuff in return in the third period?

The Mongolians changed goalies after the third UAE goal, then Munkbold came back at the start of the 3rd period, the replacement faced no shots (rather surprisingly), so i wonder if there was some rough stuff during the goal and he took a knock. Hence some of the Mongolian rough stuff in return in the third period?
    I find their changes of goalie to be interesting. They also brought Baatarkhuu in late against Georgia - seeingly without reason and without a shot against.

I'd also love to see the Georgians get their first WC goal but that comes down to how much UAE take their foot off the throttle; they did that with the Mongolians so maybe they're being extra gracious hosts? It would be fun to see from a global development point of view for Mongolia to beat Greece but I just don't see it happening. There are several of members here who want Greece to go through, namely those on the squad!

IHF Member
    Maybe the shot stats against are wrong for the Mongolian netminders, oh to be able to see the actual game sheets!

Agree with you on the Greeks, their dedication and efforts to keep a program going with all their issues over the last 3 years should be an inspiration to any 'smaller' hockey nation wondering how they can afford/are able to compete at the world championship level.

I will be pleased for them if they do progress, but there is something magical about cheering for the little guy and they dont come any littler than the Mongolians in the sporting context of hockey. So in this instance i will be cheering for Mr Jargalsaikhan and his compatriots to pull of one of the bigger shocks in hockey history and qualify for the Division III world championships in South Africa.

I am wondering though, with earlier year's late withdrawals from tournaments. Will the two teams that do qualify for WC D3, be able to afford another trip for that tournament?

Seems to me that the stats guys didn't note goalies on their sheets, just kept counting the shots for the teams. So, no individual goalie stats, and the guy with the most minutes gets the team's full shotcount for the game.

WHawks makes a very good point. I don't think the UAE will have any problems getting to the DivIII, but the other nations will have a more difficult time of it for sure. Mongolia especially... we'll have to see. Then again, they at least have a big enough player pool that they could probably send an almost-entirely different squad if money is an issue for some players...

I can't cheer for either of Greece or Mongolia. I was hoping the two of them would be moving on...
    I only met the Mongolians once, in their first competition, but their enthusiasm was absolutely enchanting. They were just so proud to be there, and no matter how bad the scoreline looked they played 100% all game long. Their trip to get to Ireland that year included a long train ride into China and then flights along the way to Dublin, almost a weeklong endeavour for them. It was great to see the effort and pride they carried with them both on and off the ice, and I can't help but wish them all the best.
    The Greeks are incredibly persistent, with all the trials and tribulations they've endured to keep their program alive. I got to hang out with them a bit in 2009, and they are all really great guys. I also had the pleasure of chatting with our forum member Jimmy Kalyvas for a bit, and I learned a lot about the heart and soul that the national team members put into their trips to the Worlds. The work they've put into just keeping the sport alive in Greece is truly incredible.
    To put it in plain english, both groups truly live up to the motto "for the love of the game". The time, pride, effort and personal wealth they invest in competing, not just for themselves but their nations as well, is so far beyond what we in Canada could truly understand, I have the utmost respect for all of them. Hence... no cheering for me, I just wish both teams a clean and hard-fought game, so that everybody can leave the Qual tournament with their heads held high no matter what the final results are.

Well congrats to the Greeks, a strong 3rd give them the edge over Mongolia and they advance with the UAE to South Africa. As well, very good effort from the Mongolians.

Day 3

Greece - Mongolia 5:2 (1:1, 1:1, 3:0)
    1:0 - 07.24 Alexandros Valsamas-Rallis
    1:1 - 17.58 Boldbayar Bayajikh (Altansan)
    2:1 - 21.07 Dimitrios Kalyvas (Papadopoulos) PP1
    2:2 - 39.36 Mishigsuren Namjil (Zorigoo) SH1
    3:2 - 41.05 Ioannis Koufis
    4:2 - 49.24 Alexandros Valsamas-Rallis(2) (Malamas)
    5:2 - 59.35 Ioannis Koufis(2) (D.Kalyvas)
    PIM: 4x2 - 10x2+1x10 SOG: 44-25 Att: 175
    Goalkeepers: Ntalimpor Ploutsis 23/25 - Munkhbold Bayarsaikhan 39/44
    Ref: Ladislav Smetana (GER) Linesmen: Benas Jaksys (LTU), Todor Krastev (BUL)
    GRE: Ploutsis Ntalimpor; Chatzigiannis Nikolaos, Efkarpidis Lazaros, Koufis Ioannis, Kalyvas Georgios +A, Kalyvas Dimitrios +C, Ziakas Ioannis, Papadopoulos Nikolaso, Valsamas-Rallis Alexandros, Malamas Dimitrios, Adamidis Kyriakos, Souras Diogenis, Kouleles Georgios, Fournogerakis Eleftherios, Adamidis Georgios, Kanellis Antonios
    MGL: Bayarsaikhan Munkhbold; Altansan Erkhbayar, Zorigt Batgerel +A, Enkhtur Minkhzaya, Jargalsaikhan Bayarsaikhan, Namjil Mishigsuren +C, Sukhbaatar Och, Zoriggo Od-Erdene, Enkhjargal Bayarjargal, Purevdorj Batzaya, Baatarkhuu Tserenbaljir, Bayajikh Boldbayar, Altankhundaga Altanbayar, Dorjsuren Zolboo, Munkhbayar Batbold

Georgia - United Arab Emirates 1:9 (1:1, 0:4, 0:4)
    0:1 - 06.33 Ali Al Haddad (Al Blooshi)
    1:1 - 14.54 Gocha Jeiranashvili (Geperidze)
    1:2 - 21.10 Juma Al Dhaheri (Al Mheiri, Al Mazrouei)
    1:3 - 29.57 Mibarak Al Mazrouei (J.Al Dhaheri, M.Al Shamisi)
    1:4 - 30.38 Ali Al Sarour (Al Haddah, M.Al Shamisi)
    1:5 - 38.57 Omar Al Shamisi (Al Jneibi)
    1:6 - 44.18 Suhail Al Mheiri (Al Zaabi, M.Al Dhaheri)
    1:7 - 51.03 Ebraheem Bu Debs (Al. Haddad, Al Miharrami)
    1:8 - 54.27 Suhail Al Mheiri(2) (J.Al Dhaheri, Al Mazrouei)
    1:9 - 59.30 Ali Al Haddad(2)
    PIM: 2x2 - 3x2 SOG: 12-44 Att: 247
    Goalkeepers: Kakha Ambrolava 35/43 (Alexanxder Vashakidze 0/1) - Ahmed Al Dhaheri 11/12
    Ref: Rasmus Toppel (DEN) Linesmen: Louis Beelen (NED), Michael Rohrer (SUI)
    GEO: Ambrolava Kakha (01.35 Vashakidze Alexander); Gogoladze Giorgi, Davitashvili Mikheil +C, Geperidze Amiran, Jeiranashvili Gocha +A, Jeiranashvili Giorgi, Bakhtadze Nikoloz, Vedyapin Mikheil, Gigauri Girogi, Kavkasidze Paata, Archvadze Gurami, Gurgenidze Demuri, Arushanov Arkady, Oganeziani Gia, Natroshvili Irakli, Davidov Ilia +A
    UAE: Al Dhaheri Ahmed; Al Haddad Ali, El Jachi Mohamad, Al Mheiri Suhail +A, Al Dhaheri Juma +C, Al Mazrouei Mibarak, Du Bebs Ebraheem, Al Shamisi Mohammed, Al Shamisi Omar +A, Al Sarour Ali, Al Miharrami Obaid, Al Dhaheri Mohammed, Al Zaabi Mohamed, Al Dhaheri Rashed, Al Darmaki Salem, Al Blooshi Faisal, Al Jneibi Yahya, Al Nuaimi Saeed

Table and rankings

Final Standings

RkCountryGPWOTWOTLLGF:GATP
    1 United Arab Emirates 3 3 0 0 0 14:3 9
    2 Greece 3 2 0 0 1 18:4 6
    3 Mongolia 3 1 0 0 2 10:8 3
    4 Georgia 3 0 0 0 3 1:28 0

Final Rankings

RK Country
    1 United Arab Emirates
    2 Greece
    3 Mongolia
    4 Georgia

*United Arab Emirates and Greece advance to Division III

Stats and Awards

Scoring leaders

PlayerGPGAPTS
    1Ioannis Koufis2617
    T2Juma Al Dhaheri3336
    -Mubarak Al Mazrouei3336
    -Dimitrios Kalyvas3336
    5Mishigsuren Namjil3325
    T6Alexandros Valsamas-Rallis3314
    -Ali Al Haddad3224
    -Suhail Al Mheiri3224
    -Nikolaos Papadopoulos3134
    10Munkhzaya Enkhtur3213

Goalkeeping leaders

PlayerGPGAASV%SO
    1Ntalimpor Ploutsis31,3395,11
    2Khaled Al Suwaidi21,0094,81
    3Munkhbold Bayarsaikhan32,9092,80
    4Kakha Ambrolava39,0878,40

IHF Member
    Congratulations to Greece and the UAE for qualifying for the world championships division III in South Africa.

For two periods it was on for Mongolia, but still a good tournament for them, hopefully they will continue to build from the last two much more competitive showings.

Congratulations to Georgia on finishing their first IIHF tournament, hopefully the first of many. Any one know whether it was father or son that grabbed their first international goal?

Ref the Goalie stats, Munkbold doesnt get a shutout, is that right if the duties were shared during a shutout? No one gets credit or should both goalies get credited with a shutout, how does that work at IIHF tournaments?

Congratulations to Georgia on finishing their first IIHF tournament, hopefully the first of many. Any one know whether it was father or son that grabbed their first international goal?

Ref the Goalie stats, Munkbold doesnt get a shutout, is that right if the duties were shared during a shutout? No one gets credit or should both goalies get credited with a shutout, how does that work at IIHF tournaments?
    It was the father that got the goal and yes its correct, in order to get a shutout you have to play the full match +/- the minutes you are pulled for the extra attacker (delayed penalties.) The shutout is just credited to the team while neither of the individual goalies get the credit.

IHF Member
    Thanks Starkovs for the clarification :-)

IIHF tournament report up on the IIHF website.

So Mongoila had a camp in China before hand, explains the better performance.

IHF Member
    Good show by all four teams. I'm impressed by the effort put in by these guys who give their own time and money to their countries' national programs.
    I wonder where these results and the decisions from the IIHF Congress leave the future plans for these national teams. Several established teams ( eg Ireland and Greece ) may not meet the entry criteria for IHWC 2013/14. Any qualification tournament held in 2013/4 will be for participation in 2014/5.

So the overall size and structure of Division III in future is impossible to predict however here's where the four teams may go in future.

UAE - have the best funding of any team at this level. Will compete in South Africa ( and the CCoA in Thailand ) with hopes of again beating Greece and possibly Ireland and Luxembourg. Main future problem is what happens if they come up against Israel. Presumably government pressure will force them to withdraw and suffer ( voluntary ? ) suspension.

Greece - will they be able to get the team to South Africa ? Will they meet entry criteria for 2013/14. Need to rebuild at domestic level and hopefully get regional competion in the Balkans.

Mongolia - making progress but did not qualify. Hopefully will be able to go to the CCoA in 2013. Could re-enter Division IIIQ in 2013/4.

Georgia - need to get local competition but opportunities are limited. Hope they can keep their program going and improve.

Cheers

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    Greece - will they be able to get the team to South Africa ? Will they meet entry criteria for 2013/14. Need to rebuild at domestic level and hopefully get regional competion in the Balkans.
    If a Greek club team entered a recoginised league outside of the country (ex. EBEL), would that qualify them as a club affiliated with its NGB and in a 'domestic' league or does it have to be a proper Greek league - not just Greek clubs in a foreign league?

IHF Member
    The IIHF needs to start up a Challenge Cup of Europe tournament with all these smaller European countries appearing

Trim, the IIHF requirements are for a domestic league, with four teams or more. In the case of Bulgaria for example there are only three teams, but the BAHL brings the total above 4.

In the case of Luxembourg, there is at least infrastructure and attempts to grow and support the game, and the small local hockey population still makes efforts to compete. In Ireland and Greece, the biggest issues are not only the league system, but the infrastructure (or lack thereof) and the effect that has on the ability to grow participation, form a league, or even have a team find ice time. And that's what's going to block anyone from competing in the end.

A Challenge Cup system for Europe would be great, as it would allow a number of low-level nations to compete without having to worry as much about fulfilling all IIHF requrements. That would be the perfect opportunity for Andorra, Liechtenstein, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Moldova, Georgia and Macedonia to find some international competition, but I think that you might see Luxembourg move its competition to that level as well.
    I recall speaking with some of the Luxembourg players on a couple occasions. While they truly enjoy the opportunity to suit up for their country, the international competition is growing stronger and even the Division III level is difficult for some of the older guys who form the core of that team. I truly think they'd welcome a chance to still represent their country but in a little bit less intense environment.

IHF Member
    Well put Steigs, hopefully the IIHF will realise the need to support such an event now they are going to make entry to the IHWC harder. Georgia's recent results show the need for a lower entry point into international competition for newer hockey nations.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs
    A Challenge Cup system for Europe would be great, as it would allow a number of low-level nations to compete without having to worry as much about fulfilling all IIHF requrements. That would be the perfect opportunity for Andorra, Liechtenstein, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Moldova, Georgia and Macedonia to find some international competition, but I think that you might see Luxembourg move its competition to that level as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    Well put Steigs, hopefully the IIHF will realise the need to support such an event now they are going to make entry to the IHWC harder. Georgia's recent results show the need for a lower entry point into international competition for newer hockey nations.

Geoff
    I second that. A European Challenge Cup would also serve both the NGBs and IIHF well. The NGBs would have to opportunity to compete in a fair, regulated environment with the IIHF benefitting from getting smaller nations together in a structured tournament to evaluate relative strengths without compromising the stricter new standards. That would also serve as a forum to allow the NGBs to share data and programs on how they are promoting the game in their countries, allowing the NGBs to pool together new ideas and grow the sport as best they can for their specific needs.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Trim, the IIHF requirements are for a domestic league, with four teams or more. In the case of Bulgaria for example there are only three teams, but the BAHL brings the total above 4.

In the case of Luxembourg, there is at least infrastructure and attempts to grow and support the game, and the small local hockey population still makes efforts to compete. In Ireland and Greece, the biggest issues are not only the league system, but the infrastructure (or lack thereof) and the effect that has on the ability to grow participation, form a league, or even have a team find ice time. And that's what's going to block anyone from competing in the end.

I recall speaking with some of the Luxembourg players on a couple occasions. While they truly enjoy the opportunity to suit up for their country, the international competition is growing stronger and even the Division III level is difficult for some of the older guys who form the core of that team. I truly think they'd welcome a chance to still represent their country but in a little bit less intense environment.
    Do you think that BAHL can make it? I had the impression that BAHL is not under the umbrella of the Federation - I thought that the Federation has to control the league which is required by the IIHF.

You could be right, I'm not 100% sure.

The IIHF should give rankings points to nations for competing in the various Challenge Cups and Division 3 qualifications.

The points awarded would be less than for competing in Division 3, but they would give nations that actually ice teams in these events a sense of accomplishment and belonging in the true sense as IIHF members.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    The IIHF should give rankings points to nations for competing in the various Challenge Cups and Division 3 qualifications.

The points awarded would be less than for competing in Division 3, but they would give nations that actually ice teams in these events a sense of accomplishment and belonging in the true sense as IIHF members.
    I like that idea, maybe half-points compared to DivIII competition? It would certainly look good on the rankings to see a number of Asian nations added, increasing the number of teams in the world rankings, but giving a boost to the teams themselves as well.

Thread Information