Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2013 World Junior Hockey Championship in Ufa Discussion Thread

Well that was an amazing match, Sweden dominates, Russia dominates. Was really hoping Russia would win but now I hope Sweden wins Gold, would love to see them go home with two-time titles and see how the handle the pressure going for three on home ice.

Stupid Russian penalties, the speed is the key in penalties,, 3 Russian slow penalties no goal, 2 Swedish slow penalties no goal.. one fast Swedish penalty GOOOAAALLL...

Congrats to the U.S. team, 100% deserved victory over Canada. To me, it looked like U.S. was skating on ice, and Canada trying to skate in mud. Subban's body language after the 2nd goal clearly showed he was fighting the puck, but you can't blame him - the defence and forwards showed little if any support. The U.S. looked to be the more motivated team and they are peaking at just the right time. Sometimes, losing 1 game in the preliminary isn't a bad thing. The lesson is learned and you improve. If you learn your lesson in the knock out stage - too late! By the way, TSN is reporting that starting next year, the 1st place team in each pool will no longer get a bye to the semi-finals. 4 teams from each pool will play QF, SF, etc.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ref72 View Post
    By the way, TSN is reporting that starting next year, the 1st place team in each pool will no longer get a bye to the semi-finals. 4 teams from each pool will play QF, SF, etc.
    Considering results in recent years, perhaps just as well.
    The benefit of receiving a QF bye has proven to be rather dubious, to say the least.
    I'd rather have 8 teams make the playoffs (so too, I suspect the Finns and Slovaks).
    Sitting out the QF round I believe was a momentum killer for Canada.
    Their game was rounding nicely into form after the big win over Russia but sitting
    around for three days just seemed to take the edge off their performance.
    The Americans, on the other hand, took the momentum gained from their QF win
    over the Czechs and ramped their game up to the next level.
    Besides, the fewer relegation/placement games there are, the better.

Yes, both the WJC and U18 WC are going to the 8 teams in QF format , the U18s already this year. For Slovakia it is of course an advantage, but overally I think it has both its pluses and minuses, i.e. you can have a perfect record in preliminary round and than just one upset in QF and you can´t finish better than 5th place, but that of course happens in all the short term tournaments.

Though, does this mean that now we won´t only have the 5th place game, but also the 7th place game or will final standings be decided according to prelimnary round as WC/Olympics?
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    Though, does this mean that now we won´t only have the 5th place game, but also the 7th place game or will final standings be decided according to prelimnary round as WC/Olympics?
    The U-18 dosnt have anymore placement matches, and according to the article from IIHF, it says the losers will just be ranked off preliminary records.

This also means that the 5-6 placing game (between the losers of the old-system quarter-finals) will be eliminated. The losers of the quarter-finals will be ranked according to their preliminary-round placement and records.
    Edit: If you want to view the full article, go to the 2014 U-20 Championship wikipedia article, its the second link, I cant figure out how to link it without it going to todays Sweden shoot-out victory article.

proud of the swedes! But yeah, we always lose against USA. (in junior)

and by the way, I can't understand how the officials allowed Canada's goal to count. The whistle clearly was heard before the puck was even shot in the net and you can see the U.S. goalie rightfully stopped playing. Was the whistle a mistake? Yes, but that tough luck is sometimes part of the game. And there is no rule I am aware of in any league that allows the officials to declare a goal when it entered the net after play was stopped.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ref72 View Post
    and by the way, I can't understand how the officials allowed Canada's goal to count. The whistle clearly was heard before the puck was even shot in the net and you can see the U.S. goalie rightfully stopped playing. Was the whistle a mistake? Yes, but that tough luck is sometimes part of the game. And there is no rule I am aware of in any league that allows the officials to declare a goal when it entered the net after play was stopped.
    That was the ONLY thing that went Canada's way today...a small mercy to avoid the indignity of a goose egg.

Quote Originally Posted by Heatleysucks View Post
    That was the ONLY thing that went Canada's way today...a small mercy to avoid the indignity of a goose egg.
    Looking at the highlights, it could have been a lot worse, yeah
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

IHF Member

Russia

That we Russia can lose against Sweden I knew. Also if Sweden won not quite without luck the result is acceptable. But that USA will defeat Canada with 5:1 without any efforts, it was realy a big surprise.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkovs View Post
    Well that was an amazing match, Sweden dominates, Russia dominates. Was really hoping Russia would win but now I hope Sweden wins Gold, would love to see them go home with two-time titles and see how the handle the pressure going for three on home ice.
    I hope that US boys win gold, because Sweden is reigning champion and for the better progress of ice hockey worldwide were better if USA win.
    But if seriously I hope, that the game should decide who is stronger, and hopefully without dirty play and mistakes from referees.

From this American's point of view, the USA-Canada game was a thing of beauty.

The US Juniors literally ran Canada out of the building, dominating in every aspect of the game. All the more impressive considering that this is a maximum strength Canadian team stocked with U20 NHL talent due to the lockout. The US kids' skating skill is amazing. Great passing, great shotmaking, great defense, and incredible goaltending from Anaheim draft pick John Gibson. They didn't back down when things got chippy, either. Gaudreau has been a revelation, as has Trouba and Gibson. McCabe has been excellent. JT Miller is finally waking up.

I hope my young countrymen can take the gold, but I am proud of them either way.

As a sportsman, I wish Sweden and our Swedish friends here at IHF good luck, but am obviously hoping for an American win.

Sweden is outstanding in all aspects of the game, and to my mind remains the favorite to win.

And so Tambijevs becomes state enemy Nr.1
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

What a **** joke Tambjievs, hope to never see you behind the national bench again, **** idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by itry View Post
    And so Tambijevs becomes state enemy Nr.1
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkovs View Post
    What a **** joke Tambjievs, hope to never see you behind the national bench again, **** idiot.
    Was it just general poor coaching throughout the tournament, or did something happen today specifically?

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Was it just general poor coaching throughout the tournament, or did something happen today specifically?
    Mostly poor coaching not only throughout the tournament but with HK Rīga as well. I don't think there are many spectators that likes his style of play and the type of players he chooses. Being shortish but skilled hockey player back in the day it seems that that is exactly what kind of players he is gathering around him. Usually it comes with no grit or grinding efforts. Many feel that it is not the hockey we should play nowadays so he gets criticized a lot. Also being ahead 5 - 1 vs Atlanti in the game and 3 -1 (if I am not mistaken) in the series where if they won they would have clenched them in play-offs and then managing to lose that game and also whole series put a lot of people against him and this is just continuation of that more or less. Can't say I got to see any of the games so I don't know how our guys looked on the ice but the line-ups made me scratch my head at best. Well the result isn't there, but the roster we had should have stayed in the elite. There is a s**tstorm coming Mr. Tambijevs.
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

Defenceman Griffin Reinhart of Canada has been suspended 4 games by the IIHF and will miss the bronze medal game against Russia. His suspension does not apply to the WHL games once he returns to Canada but will apply to any future IIHF events in which he participates. He is eligable to play for Canada in next year's U20 in Sweden, so would miss Canada's first 3 preliminary games. Canada is appealing the suspension as the officials only assessed a minor penalty for high sticking. Reinhart claims his actions were accidental and claims the referee's agreed with him, but the IIHF has a different view. You can get details on that at;

http://www.worldjunior2013.com/en/ch...rt-suspension/

Wow.... after seeing the video I have to say, that hardly looked accidental to me. 4 games is fair.
    An accident while falling is a stick out of control. This was a twist of the torso with the stick coming up on a direct line to make contact with Troschek's face. Looked pretty controlled to me.

IHF Member

A stacked Canadian roster in a lockout year fails to even medal at the World Juniors...........that is honestly a shocker.

It does, however, speak to the depth of the world U20 field, which is honestly a very good thing.

Congrats to the Russians on at least salvaging a bronze at home.

Sweden up 1-0 in the second period on the USA. I hope my boys can come back.

Poor sportsmanship.........extremely classless.......on the part of the Russians, taunting the Canadian bench in the immediate aftermath of the Russian overtime goal.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Poor sportsmanship.........extremely classless.......on the part of the Russians, taunting the Canadian bench in the immediate aftermath of the Russian overtime goal.
    With the way they played throughout the tournament,the Russians shouldn't taunt anyone.
    They were supposed to be gold medal favourites but were lucky just to get past the
    Swiss to make the medal round.
    Shaky Canadian goaltending...6 goals on 25 shots...was once again Canada's undoing.

Congrats to the USA on winning the U20 WC. Gibson was a wall in goal and could not be denied. It shows the preliminary round doesn't tell the whole story, with the U.S. losing 2 games and finishing 3rd in the group. They battled through it and are deserving champions

Great game by USA, a well deserved win. USA dominated the first half of the game, with Sweden looking anxious and battling the puck. Sweden looked better in the second half of the game and could have scored on a couple of occasions.

4 straight J18 wins and now WJC champions, USA has produced some really strong age groups and is dominating the juniors at the moment.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barmaley View Post
    I hope that US boys win gold, because Sweden is reigning champion and for the better progress of ice hockey worldwide were better if USA win.
    But if seriously I hope, that the game should decide who is stronger, and hopefully without dirty play and mistakes from referees.
    Odd to see a European root for the US to win.
    Be careful for what you wish for.
    Although the Americans have only won this tournament 3 times in its history, they've won it twice in the last
    four years and if the U18 results are any indication, more will be coming.
    The US has won four U18's in a row and have finished first or second in that tournament 9 times in the last 11 years.
    That's pretty scary for the rest of the world.
    Considering the US is the third largest country in the world and has an enormous pool of athletes to draw from
    and the fact that players are now coming from non traditional hockey markets like Texas and California, the
    potential for the US to dominate at the world level for both men and women is huge.
    In fact, it is inevitable, I'm afraid.

I compared Sweden's and USA's rosters from the W18 championship 2011 to the rosters this year and both teams have just 10 players (out of 23) that played both tournaments. From that I conclude that the talent pool is deep for both contries.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

Always this USA,,,,,,,........

IHF Member

Russia

This US-Team played not typical North American and this style of play was only one right way to win gold on the big ice rinks.
    I think Canadiens were very surprised to play against such team.
    More competition in the ice hockey will make global ice hockey better like champions league in football (In european football). Hopefully someday USA will win IIHF World Championships.
    The 2nd play Russia-Canada was more typical North American.
    Here is the goal from Nichushkin, who is first 17 years old and will play world championship U18 in this Aprill and hopefully WJHC U20 in 2014 and 2015.

IHF Member
    Although the Americans have only won this tournament 3 times in its history, they've won it twice in the last
    four years and if the U18 results are any indication, more will be coming.
    The US has won four U18's in a row and have finished first or second in that tournament 9 times in the last 11 years.
    That's pretty scary for the rest of the world.
    Considering the US is the third largest country in the world and has an enormous pool of athletes to draw from
    and the fact that players are now coming from non traditional hockey markets like Texas and California, the
    potential for the US to dominate at the world level for both men and women is huge.
    I don't know if I'd say "inevitable". Remember last year... the US finished 7th at the U-20s. Regarding the U-18s they enter the US National Development Team, a team that has been training and playing together for a year - that is a huge advantage. Also despite the population, hockey is a distant 4th in popularity behind football, baseball and basketball. (maybe even 5th behind soccer). Of course they are a power, but I don't expect domination by the US or anybody.

IHF Member
    Congratulations to the US for the Gold and Russians on the Bronze. Amazing that the Russia-Canada score was again 6-5, as so many other battles in that rivalry. I saw one of the writers mention that the thrashing Canada took from the US was their worst beating since losing to Kazakhistan 6-3 back in 1997. Could be. RNH had a decent tournament and will probably be top scorer with 15pts but I wonder if sometimes having if a stud like that can be detrimental. When the going gets tough everybody (including the coaches) is looking to one guy to win the game instead of everybody cranking it up a notch. While getting crushed by the US, the only apparent response by the Canadian coaches was putting RNH out for more and longer shifts - one even over 3 minutes. That kind of craziness doesn't help anybody.

IHF Member
    Very nice win for the US. I certainly had my doubts there for a while but I knew if the offense got going a bit the defense was solid enough to go far. After that Canada game I have to admit my faith in the team soared and I had a lot of confidence in them going into the gold medal game. The Swedes played them very well and the game might have gone differently had they not lost so many key players before the tournament but I felt the US team deserved the win here. The US success against the Swedes at the junior level is remarkable but it won't last forever.

On the tangent of US domination in the future, I certainly wouldn't use the word "inevitable". The potential exists due to the vast resources available but there's more to it than that. My hope is that the US can earn universal respect as a top hockey nation and hopefully win a gold at the Olympics in my life time.

Very pleased with the USA's gold medal victory.

They stepped up and played their best from the quarterfinals on.....actually from when they faced relegation (amazing to think they could have been dumped into the relegation round).

They played, in my opinion, a mix of the European and North American style of hockey that was both effective and a pleasure to watch.

Beating both the vaunted Canadian team filled with young, locked out NHL talent (and again, SHOCKED that the Canadians didn't win the tournament, or at least medal), and a smooth, technically brilliant Swedish team filled with young pros was impressive. Would have loved a second chance to beat Russia but will have to settle for gold. :)

As for the IIHF Worlds, I don't think the Americans will ever win a gold medal absent an NHL lockout......the USA always sends a C or D grade roster to that event. I too hope to see another USA Olympic ice hockey gold medal in my lifetime.

IHF Member

Russia

Quote Originally Posted by cagney View Post
    My hope is that the US can earn universal respect as a top hockey nation and hopefully win a gold at the Olympics in my life time.
    The Olimpic gold in 2014 is reserved for Russia..
    It's a joke.
    For the beginning were not bad to win a championship IIHF for example in Sweden/Finland or next year in Belorussia.
    Hopefully I will see live both
    Here is our way for the bronze medal with all 25 goals.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information