Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2013 World Junior Hockey Championship in Ufa Discussion Thread

2013 World Junior Hockey Championship in Ufa Discussion Thread

I know it´s still very early, but since we have got less hockey than usual without the NHL, it might be nice to have something to discuss. So who do you think will take the gold/silver/bronze? Who will get relegated? Who will be the cinderella story alá Slovakia 2009 and Switzerland 2010? How do you see the chance of your team? Do you think all junior NHL players will play in case the lockout will continue for so long?
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

Well, I won´t spend too much time talking about the gold medal favorites as we have the usual suspects in this race. In case of lockout still going on Canada becomes a clear favorite on paper, but games are not always won by the best team on paper, so with strong team effort Russia/Sweden/US can still beat them. (Though I kind of expect at least one of the favorites to fail and not to reach the top 4. As always Finland is the dark horse and I would dare to say that under the right constellation the Czechs stand a solid chance to reach the SF. (but more on that later)

As for the relegation race this one might actually be a bit trickier than the medal race. I guess the most common prediction would be that it will be Latvia vs. Germany. However Latvia will probably have a very solid team compared to their usual standards and they might even have more top end talent than Germany. However Germany has proved in the past that they can surprise even without many stars at this level. Slovakia might be another candidate, especially when you remember that this is the generation of Slovak players that got relegated from U18, even though I don´t think that will play much role at this years´ WJC (I will explain this more later on), however that does still not mean that they re out of danger. Whoever is the odd one not make the QF out of Czech republic/Switzerland might also come into play, especially with the disappoitment and all.

As already stated in my first paragraph my candidate for a cinderella run is the Czech republic. I still maintain the opinion that them playing in the relegation round for a bunch of years was partly caused by being in a group of death with 3 out of the top 5 teams. Also why they might not be back to the hey days of their junior hockey, their currently producing more top propects than they used to for a while. Even though they might not have a goalie of the calibre of Mrázek from last year, their goaltending should still be more than solid. Same goes for their defense. Their biggest strength will come in offense. It has been a while since they had as much talent assembled there as they will have with Jaškin, Hertl, Frk, Faksa and maybe even Vrána add a good forwards depth beyond that and you get a very solid team. All said, it might still happen that they will fail especially if the chemistry is not right and bad coaching.

Now to Slovakia: With a group consisting of Canada, US, Russia and Germany, of course the primary objective will be to avoid relegation therefore beat Germany and secure some points before the relegation round. As I previously mentioned the fear of relegation is even higher because of what happened at the 2011 U18 IHWC. But then again the top reasons for that were several factors - horrible goaltending, bad defense, lack of top end talent and incompetent coaching. No matter what one thinks about Bokroš he is nowhere near Fruhauf´s incompetence. Goaltending wise I expect Patrik Romančík, who´s been sharing his time between HK Orange and Skalica to be the starter and I think there´s no way he sucks as badly as Rybár in 2011. Defensewise it still doesn´t look too great and we will be missing a player of Martin Marinčin´s calibre, but the D will still be different than in U18 WC 2011. While Martin Gernát played there he only got small minutes and was still only playing Slovak U18 league then. Now he will be counted on to play big minutes and he´s got the experience of a long WHL season. He missed the beginning of the season, but the latest news AFAIK is that he should return early November, so hopefully he is fit for the WJC. But the biggest change comes on the offense. Top 1993 born Slovak player missed the U18 WC beacause of WHL/injury. Martin Reway who´s currently the top Slovak forward in the CHL was not there either. Neither was Milan Kolena who leads the HK Orange team in scoring wasn´t there either. While Marko Daňo and TomᚠMikúš were there now they will have some KHL experience under their belt. Overally it won´t be a great team, but it looks better than the 2011 U18 team.
    Predictions and expectations:
    Very Negative: Relegation
    Realistic: 7th-8th place
    Very positive 6th place (in a scenario in which they manage to beat both Germany and upset one of the top 3 teams with the goalie standing on his head and the other team performing miserably in preliminary group play)

IHF Member
    To be honest, I agree with your evaluation for the most part. I would personally say that, at this point, Canada doesn't seem as imposing as usual. Their summer tournament with the Russians seemed to show quite clearly that they can be beaten. However, it's hard to say what should really be made of that tournament because over years of watching the summer Lake Placid tournaments, it's clear there are often times that summer hockey just isn't the best indicator of how a team will perform come December.

In regards to the latter tournament, I'd expect the Finns to show better than they did and there's pretty much no chance the US (or any team) will go into double digits against the Swedes (still shocked by that 10-2 US win, though I attribute it more to particularly poor play from the Swedes than amazing play from the US).

The miserable performance from last year's US team still stings and I'm hoping for some redemption this year. They're certainly in a tougher group this year than last year but I still feel they should make the quarterfinals, though likely as the third seed. That's where being in the tougher group could help them a bit as, unless the Swedes get upset, they'll likely face one of the Finns, Czechs or Swiss. I'd consider the US a favorite going into any of those games, though if the Finns are in good form they could certainly win that match up. The biggest strength for the US is in goal, as John Gibson is an excellent goalie who's been a huge part of the success of US teams he's played for in the past. The defense should be deep and include a number of high end players like Seth Jones and Jacob Trouba. The forwards present more questions but, assuming they can find some chemistry, should have enough talent to work with to compete with the tournament favorites (I'm hoping for a lot from players like Alex Galchenyuk, Rocco Grimaldi and (assuming he's released to the tournament) JT Miller). A big question mark for me is how Phil Housley will handle the head coaching position. Housley was obviously an great player but his coaching experience is very limited, as he only coaches a small high school team in Minnesota. Some feel that this might aid him in a way as the high school season won't start until later this month so he's had plenty of time to devote to evaluation and planning with the U20 team. We'll have to see how much that counts when it comes to crunch time in a tight game against a well-coached opponent though. Overall, my hope for this US team is that they'll be playing for a medal in the end. If they miss the quarterfinals again, I'd hope for some serious reflection on how things are being done from USA Hockey's higher ups.

I would agree that it'll be interesting to see how the Czech's will do. It seems to me that many people are almost expecting them to go on a run here which sort of makes me question the notion of them as a "dark horse." I do think it's selling the Swiss a bit short as I've come to respect them very much in junior tournaments and while they may not have a big name player this year, they should have enough capable players to give the Czechs a run for a quarterfinal spot. It'll certainly be a match I'm looking forward to.

The relegation does seem a bit more obvious now with the changes to previous rules. I would say that I might favor the Latvian's a bit in a game against the Germans, but part of that might be my own bias as I've followed a number of Latvian players who've come through the US development system recently and I'm hoping they do well.

IHF Member
    Usually a strike year would be good for Canada but I'm not optimistic. Three things worry me. First, Canada hasn't been doing particularly well in any international tournaments the last few years. I don't know if this is lack of talent, picking the wrong talent, coaching, prep or some combination but at the U-20s and men's Hockey Canada doesn't seem to have the formula down. 2nd is we (Canada) don't have a dominant U-20 goalie - and haven't for years. 3rd is the CHL (where ~90% of the team will be picked) selection of all star teams just lost the 6 game subway series to the Russians. That wouldn't be any big deal except they usually win and this was on home ice, NHL size rinks.

What would help if some of the 2011 draft guys are made available -- like RNH and Couterier but I'm not sure what the story is there - they've already played a full year in the NHL and they are now playing AHL.

It will be interesting to see if Nathan McKinnon makes the team. He's 17 but expected to be #1 overall this year and had a good game against the Russian selects in the recent series. Hope so....

Ouch...our top two defensemen Jonas Brodin and Oscar Klefbom likely wont play in WJC due to injuries..

Quote Originally Posted by Stolpskott View Post
    Ouch...our top two defensemen Jonas Brodin and Oscar Klefbom likely wont play in WJC due to injuries..
    Ouch. Similarly for Slovakia:
    Marek Tvrdoň 100% out for the season, Martin Gernát 80% that he won´t be able to play at WJC and Martin Reway recently suffered a concussion and therefore is questionable. :(

IHF Member
    Couterier isn't eligible (overage) and #1 D-man Ryan Murray is unavailable due to injury for Canada. Defence still looks strong though. (goalie much more of a concern)

Quote Originally Posted by Stolpskott View Post
    ...and Ottawa wont release Mika Zibanejad for WJC.

Not relevant to these championships, but yesterday I bought 4 tickets for the final game in the 2014 U20 Championships in Malmö...
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

Sweden's preliminary roster

# PPNameClubCountryBornPlace of BirthHtWtL/R
    1 GKLassinantti JoelLuleå HFSWE08.01.93Luleå17682L
    30GKLundström NiklasAIKSWE10.01.93Värmdö18885L
    35GKDansk OscarErie OttersCAN28.02.94Stockholm18986L
    2 DDjuse EmilSödertälje SKSWE27.10.93Östersund18284L
    3 DPettersson JesperLinköpings HCSWE16.07.94Stockholm17583R
    4 DDjoos ChristianBrynäs IFSWE06.08.94Göteborg18170L
    5 DBengtsson RasmusMuskegon LumberjacksUSA14.05.93Landskrona18989L
    7 DNilsson TomMora IKSWE19.08.93Stockholm18483R
    8 DArnesson LinusDjurgårdens IFSWE21.09.94Stockholm18785L
    9 DVikstrand MikaelMora IKSWE05.11.93Karlstad18889L
    12DLindholm HampusNorfolk AdmiralsUSA20.01.94Helsingborg18984L
    10FWennberg AlexanderDjurgårdens IFSWE22.09.94Stockholm18683L
    11FBoyce Rotevall JeremyTimrå IKSWE28.08.93Stockholm18380L
    13FArvidsson ViktorSkellefteå AIKSWE08.04.93Skellefteå17678R
    15FCollberg SebastianFrölunda HCSWE23.02.94Mariestad18082R
    16FForsberg FilipLeksands IFSWE13.08.94Östervåla18782R
    17FKarlsson WilliamHV 71SWE08.01.93Stockholm18481L
    19FLindholm EliasBrynäs IFSWE02.12.94Boden18487R
    21FGörtz MaxFärjestads BKSWE28.01.93Höör18991R
    22FFröberg LinusFärjestads BKSWE16.06.93Karlstad18284L
    23FRask VictorCalgary HitmenCAN01.03.93Leksand18788L
    24FRakell RickardPlymouth WhalersCAN05.05.93Stockholm18590R
    25Fde la Rose JacobLeksands IFSWE20.05.95Arvika18886L
    26FSörensen NickQuebec RempartsCAN23.10.94Holbak, DEN18679R
    29FMolin EmilBrynäs IFSWE03.02.93Gävle18480L

IHF Member
    The US preliminary roster will be released tomorrow.

The big issue for the US right now is the health of goalie John Gibson. He suffered a hip flexor injury last week and it's not clear yet just how severe it is. He's a very important piece for this US team as he would likely be one of the top goalies in the tournament and there's a very large drop off between him and the next best goalies the US has.

It appears the Rangers will release JT Miller from the AHL for the tournament. Miller should be one of the top forwards on the team so it's certainly good news.

The Swedish federation is protesting against Ottawa not releasing Mika Zibanejad from his AHL team. They are not very hopeful that Ottawa will change their mind though.

Canada invited 37 players today to try-out for the final roster spots. You can view it at;

http://hockeycanada.ca/index.php/ci_.../ss_id/190000/

Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    The Swedish federation is protesting against Ottawa not releasing Mika Zibanejad from his AHL team. They are not very hopeful that Ottawa will change their mind though.
    From the coach's comments as they were published here, it sounded like he was ready to take it to the IIHF (almost as if he didn't realize the AHL doesn't fall under the IIHF's jurisdiction). i'm assuming that's just another journalistic failure on the part of NA media.

Tim Murray (Senators Assistant GM) said he talked it over with Zibanejad and his agent, and all parties agreed it's better for Z-Bad's development to continue playing in North America. According to Murray, it was actually suggested by Zibanejad's agent that this would be the best course. All parties agree that Z-Bad has been making some great progress in getting used to the more north-south AHL game after a difficult start to the season, and the Sens don't want to jeopardize that progress by taking a month off.

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    From the coach's comments as they were published here, it sounded like he was ready to take it to the IIHF (almost as if he didn't realize the AHL doesn't fall under the IIHF's jurisdiction). i'm assuming that's just another journalistic failure on the part of NA media.
    Perhaps, the article I saw just stated that the federation would fight the decision, not where they would take it up. But the general feeling, also expressed in the article, is that this is a Canadian decision that stops the Swedish player that scored the deciding goal last tournament. While Canadian WJC players are released from their AHL teams.

Quotes from Swedish coach Roger Rönnberg in this article in Aftonbladet:

"Men det är tråkigt att vi i Europa ska ligga på rygg för dem där borta."
    It is sad that we in Europe just lies on our back for them over there.

"Det är synd att NHL även ska få styra över juniorlandslaget i Sverige. Det smakar lite surt när det är idel kanadensare i deras ledning."
    It is a pity that the NHL gets to rule over the Swedish Junior National Team too. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth when it is all Canadians in their (Ottawa's; my remark) management.

Latvia camp roster

Goalkeepers
    Elvis Merzļikins (HC Lugano)
    Ivars Punnenovs (Kloten)
    Rihards Cimermanis (HK Rīga)
    Vadims Miščuks (Liepājas Meatlurgs)

Defenders
    Patriks Škuratovs (HK Rīga)
    Edmunds Augstkalns (HK Rīga)
    Krišs Lipsbergs (HK Rīga)
    Pauls Zvirbulis (HK Rīga)
    Jānis Jaks (HK Rīga)
    Kristaps Nīmanis (Red Duck)
    Matīss Gelažis (Graz 99ers)
    Edgars Siksna (Liepājas Metalurgs)
    Roberts Mamčics (Liepājas Metalurgs)
    Rinalds Rosinskis (Prince George)

Forwards
    Rustams Begovs (HK Rīga)
    Andris Siksnis (HK Rīga)
    Rihards Bukarts (HK Rīga)
    Nikolajs Jeļisejevs (HK Rīga)
    Artūrs Kuzmenkovs (Liepājas Metalurgs)
    Kārlis Ozoliņš (Liepājas Metalurgs)
    Toms Andersons (SC Bern)
    Teodors Bļugers (Minnesota State)
    Roberts Lipsbergs (Seattle Thunderbirds)
    Ņikita Jevpalovs (Blainville-Boisbrand)
    Edgars Kulda (Edmonton Oil Kings)
    Zemgus Girgensons (Rochester Americans)
    Edgars Kurmis (HK Rīga)
    Atjoms Dašutins (HK MVD)
    Georgs Golovkovs (HK Rīga)
    Martins Lavrovs (HK Rīga)
    Deivids Sarkanis (HK Rīga)
    Lauris Rancevs (HK Rīga)

All of our players in foreign leagues will make the trip besides Girgensons, he still dosnt have permission from Buffalo or Rochester, whoever is making the call. Wish to know why the hell Tambijevs didnt bring Kļaviņš to camp, from all reports, he is playing well in AIK even getting top line minutes in SEL, he certainly has much better chance at making roster then some of these Rīga kids.

IHF Member
    US camp roster...

GOALIES (3)

Name Ht (cm) Wt (kg) Birthdate S/C Hometown 2012-13 Team (League) NHL Rights
    John Gibson* 6-3 (191) 222 (100) 7/14/93 L Pittsburgh, Pa. Kitchener Rangers (OHL) ANA (’11, 2nd rd., 39th overall)
    Jon Gillies 6-5 (196) 230 (104) 1/22/94 L Concord, N.H. Providence College (HEA) CGY (’12, 3rd rd., 75th overall)
    Garret Sparks 6-2 (188) 211 (95) 6/28/93 L Elmhurst, Ill. Guelph Storm (OHL) TOR (’11, 7th rd., 190th overall)

DEFENSEMEN (9)

Shayne Gostisbehere 5-11 (180) 167 (75) 4/20/93 L Margate, Fla. Union College (ECACH) PHI (’12, 3rd rd., 78th overall)
    Matt Grzelcyk 5-9 (175) 168 (76) 1/5/94 L Charlestown, Mass. Boston Univ. (HEA) BOS (’12, 3rd rd., 85th overall)
    Seth Jones 6-4 (194) 205 (93) 10/3/94 R Plano, Texas Portland Winterhawks (WHL) 2013 Draft Eligible
    Jake McCabe 6-1 (185) 207 (93) 10/12/93 L Eau Claire, Wis. Univ. of Wisconsin (WCHA) BUF (’12, 2nd rd., 44th overall)
    Connor Murphy 6-4 (194) 205 (93) 3/26/93 R Dublin, Ohio Sarnia Sting (OHL) PHX (’11, 1st rd., 20th overall)
    Mike Reilly 6-1 (185) 167 (75) 7/13/93 L Chanhassen, Minn. Univ. of Minnesota (WCHA) CBJ (’11, 4th rd., 98th overall)
    Patrick Sieloff 6-1 (185) 199 (91) 5/15/94 L Ann Arbor, Mich. Windsor Spitfires (OHL) CGY (’12, 2nd rd., 42nd overall)
    Brady Skjei 6-3 (191) 200 (91) 3/26/94 L Lakeville, Minn. Univ. of Minnesota (WCHA) NYR (’12, 1st rd., 28th overall)
    Jacob Trouba* 6-2 (188) 198 (89) 2/26/94 R Rochester, Mich. Univ. of Michigan (CCHA) WPG (’12, 1st rd., 9th overall)

FORWARDS (15)

Cole Bardreau 5-10 (178) 181 (82) 7/22/93 R Fairport, N.Y. Cornell Univ. (ECACH) Free Agent
    Riley Barber 5-11 (180) 194 (87) 2/7/94 R Livonia, Mich. Miami Univ. (CCHA) WSH (’12, 6th rd., 167th overall)
    Tyler Biggs 6-2 (188) 223 (101) 4/30/93 R Binghamton, N.Y. Oshawa Generals (OHL) TOR (’11, 1st rd., 22nd overall)
    Alex Galchenyuk 6-1 (185) 197 (90) 2/12/94 L Milwaukee, Wis. Sarnia Sting (OHL) MTL (’12, 1st rd., 3rd overall)
    John Gaudreau 5-9 (175) 150 (68) 8/13/93 L Carneys Point, N.J. Boston College (HEA) CGY (’11, 4th rd., 104th overall)
    Rocco Grimaldi 5-6 (170) 165 (75) 2/8/93 R Rossmoor, Calif. Univ. of North Dakota (WCHA) FLA (’12, 2nd rd., 33rd overall)
    Ryan Hartman 6-0 (183) 187 (84) 9/20/94 R West Dundee, Ill. Plymouth Whalers (OHL) 2013 Draft Eligible
    Sean Kuraly 6-2 (188) 199 (91) 1/20/93 L Dublin, Ohio Miami Univ. (CCHA) SJS (’11, 5th rd., 133rd overall)
    Mario Lucia 6-2 (188) 193 (87) 8/25/93 L Plymouth, Minn. Univ. of Notre Dame (CCHA) MIN (‚11, 2nd rd., 60th overall)
    Stefan Matteau 6-2 (188) 217 (98) 2/23/94 L Chicago, Ill. Blainville-Boisbriand Armada (QMJHL) NJD (’12, 1st rd., 29th overall)
    J.T. Miller* 6-2 (188) 212 (96) 3/14/93 L East Palestine, Ohio Connecticut Whale (AHL) NYR (’11, 1st rd., 15th overall)
    Stefan Noesen 6-1 (185) 206 (93) 2/12/93 R Plano, Texas Plymouth Whalers (OHL) OTT (’11, 1st rd., 21st overall)
    Blake Pietila 6-0 (183) 195 (88) 2/20/93 L Brighton, Mich. Michigan Tech Univ. (WCHA) NJD (’11, 5th rd., 129th overall)
    Vince Trocheck 5-10 (178) 186 (84) 7/11/93 R Pittsburgh, Pa. Saginaw Spirit (OHL) FLA (’11, 3rd rd., 64th overall)
    Jim Vesey 6-2 (188) 200 (91) 5/26/93 L North Reading, Mass. Harvard Univ. (ECACH) NSH (’12, 3rd rd., 66th overall)

Quote Originally Posted by Starkovs View Post
    Wish to know why the hell Tambijevs didnt bring Kļaviņš to camp, from all reports, he is playing well in AIK even getting top line minutes in SEL, he certainly has much better chance at making roster then some of these Rīga kids.
    I've heard that Tambijevs doesn't consider Kļaviņš a "perspective" player. :D But, well, there are some more rather notable players that aren't on the list - Bazevičs (why invite 1995-born MHL defenders, who have barely played this season (Jaks), if you have one doing quite well in NAHL), Zuševics (unlike Gelažis, is playing decent time in EBEL) and also Zandovskis, who played that one single game for Fribourg-Gotteron.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    Perhaps, the article I saw just stated that the federation would fight the decision, not where they would take it up. But the general feeling, also expressed in the article, is that this is a Canadian decision that stops the Swedish player that scored the deciding goal last tournament. While Canadian WJC players are released from their AHL teams.

Quotes from Swedish coach Roger Rönnberg in this article in Aftonbladet:

"Men det är tråkigt att vi i Europa ska ligga på rygg för dem där borta."
    It is sad that we in Europe just lies on our back for them over there.

"Det är synd att NHL även ska få styra över juniorlandslaget i Sverige. Det smakar lite surt när det är idel kanadensare i deras ledning."
    It is a pity that the NHL gets to rule over the Swedish Junior National Team too. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth when it is all Canadians in their (Ottawa's; my remark) management.
    Let's be clear, this is an Ottawa Senators decision more than anything. The thinking among media people is that Z-Bad has only really shown true progress in adapting to the North American game in the past month or so, and that a month back on big ice could well undo that progress if he falls back into an international-ice style of play. To be completely honest, I see the merit to that argument from a Senators point of view.
    Secondly, the player is under contract to the Ottawa Senators, and not the Swedish Federation, and not to the NHL itself... NHL vice-president Bill Daly made that clear when the management of the Swedish Federation contacted him yesterday afternoon to get him to overturn the Sens' decision.
    Also: NHL teams normally hold back far more players from the Canadian national team than any other at the WJC (in many years, than all other teams combined), so that point from Ronnberg is a bit weak. Even this year, the only player currently in the AHL to be released is Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, who unlike Z-Bad, already has a full NHL season under his belt and is a known quantity at the NHL level.

Some people are trying to compare Z-Bad with RNH, and I don't think that's reasonable. RNH, we've seen him play at the NHL level for a full year and we know what he's capable of in the NHL. Z-Bad has 9 games, and spent the rest of last year not on NA ice, but on the larger ice in Elitserien. Now the team is getting a chance to see exactly what kind of potential their first-round pick has in NA, and they're not willing to risk slowing his transition and acclimitization by sending him away for a full month when he's starting to show progress. At the end of the day, the NHL is not party to the IIHF requirement that teams release players to their national teams, and it never has been. In Ottawa this case is seen as desperation and sour grapes by Ronnberg more because he's already lost two top defenseman, than because of Z-Bad's case specifically.

IHF Member
    Heres a couple of my thoughts if you all care.

The Americans will be better this year, I guarantee it. Gibson is an absolute beast, as has been pointed out, but Galchenyuk and Trochek have been ripping a very good OHL (thanks lockout) to shreds. Trouba and Skjei have chemistry, and with Seth Jones the US d-core is fantastic.

Lipsbergs, Blugers, and Girgensons would be a sweet line for Lativa if put together while Jevlapovs plays a pretty big role on a solid Blainville squad (with my buddy Marcus Hinds!).

I'm stoked to see Elias Lindholm and Jacob de le Rose for Sweden...people will know their name by the end I feel! Should be a great tourney!

IHF Member
    Also I agree with everything Steigs said, as usual...except for his poor choice of nhl team ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Neugs View Post
    Also I agree with everything Steigs said, as usual...except for his poor choice of nhl team ;)
    It's December 4th, and the Leafs still suck ;)

IHF Member
    But how about RNH with Scheifele on his right and Huberdeau on his left...filthy

Scary for sure, if you're a fan of another country.

In Ottawa this case is seen as desperation and sour grapes by Ronnberg more because he's already lost two top defenseman, than because of Z-Bad's case specifically.
    I completely agree that it is a bad case of sour grapes. That top young talent is not available for WJC has been the rule the last couple of seasons (Victor Hedman for instance). I think the difference this year is that there is no NHL, and the players are still not available. AHL is not a priority league in most Swedes eyes.

Personally I'm not convinced that Zibanejad will make or break the team, the forwards we will bring look like a strong team to me. Zibanejad has the potential to be a very good player, but I have not seen him as a new star like Hedman or Bäckström.

More than anything, Zibanejad is a name that they could have sold to promote the tournament (broadcasts, etc) in Sweden. Because he scored THE goal last year.

IHF Member
    More than anything, Zibanejad is a name that they could have sold to promote the tournament (broadcasts, etc) in Sweden. Because he scored THE goal last year.
    What goal? The tournament ended after we lost to Russia...

Kidding :D

Finland's camp roster

Goaltenders:
    Janne Juvonen, Peliitat Heinola/Pelicans Lahti
    Joonas Korpisalo, Kiekko-Vantaa/Jokerit Helsinki
    Eetu Laurikainen, Swift Current Broncos (WHL)

Defensemen:
    Henri Auvinen, JYP Jyväskylä
    Petteri Lindbohm, Jokerit Helsinki
    Esa Lindell, Jokerit Helsinki
    Olli Määttä, London Knights (OHL)
    Ville Pokka, Kärpät Oulu
    Juuso Riikola, KalPa Kuopio
    Rasmus Ristolainen, TPS Turku
    Juuso Vainio, HPK Hämeenlinna
    Mikko Vainonen, Kingston Frontenacs (OHL)
    Joonas Valkonen, KooKoo Kouvola/Espoo Blues

Forwards:
    Miro Aaltonen, Espoo Blues
    Joel Armia, Ässät Pori
    Aleksander Barkov, Tappara Tampere
    Markus Granlund, HIFK Helsinki
    Henrik Haapala, Tappara Tampere
    Markus Hännikäinen, Jokerit Helsinki
    Henri Ikonen, Kingston Frontenacs (OHL)
    Juuso Ikonen, Espoo Blues
    Ville Järveläinen, Peliitat Heinola
    Matti Lamberg, Jokerit Helsinki
    Artturi Lehkonen, KalPa Kuopio
    Robert Leino, HPK Hämeenlinna
    Thomas Nykopp, HIFK Helsinki
    Saku Salminen, Jokerit Helsinki
    Miikka Salomäki, Kärpät Oulu
    Teuvo Teräväinen, Jokerit Helsinki

All in all, I'd say this is forming out to be one of the strongest U20 squads Finland has iced in a while. A thing of note that apart from a handful of exceptions is that most players on the list are already regulars within their senior club teams, and far from fringe roles either.

Overall, I'd call it better, more complete squad than the one iced last year. The ineligible players can mostly be replaced with ones that can be considered to be on the same level and the returning ones have been making their own strides. The forwards seem to have a good mix of skill and grit, but the defensive corps are this team's true backbone. I hate speaking in superlatives, but it might just be the most promising unit ever.

Thus it's kinda ironic that netminding, which is usually the Finns' strong suit, is this teams biggest question mark. The whole trio is somewhat inexperienced, doesn't possess much experience from the elite level (in fact, you can count the total of SM-liiga games all three have played with digits of a single hand). They do have decent showings from junior and lower tier games plus preliminary tournaments, but it remains to be seen how ready they are to take the next step.
    Last edited by Laho; 07-12-2012 at 00:52.
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

Aftonbladet reports that Ottawa has said definitely that Zibanejad will not be relased. The Swedish federation had been in contact with both Ottawa management and NHL's Bill Daly to try and sway the decision. Federation president Christer Englund said earlier that he thought it was a 75-80% chance that Zibanejad would be released.

IHF Member
    Teräväinen, Armia, Barkov, Granlund, Lehkonen...that's an awesome group.

IHF Member
    Finns do look decent this year. RNH will play for Canada - or at least attend the tryout camp. Like everybody else, actual roster contingent on the clowns negotiating the NHL deal.

IHF Member
    There won't be an NHL deal, RNH will centre our first line...so enjoy watching RNH with Huberdeau and Scheifele...good luck :D

IHF Member
    Watching Canada's first inter-squad game...Nuge looking good with Scheifele. Huberdeau scored a nasty goal on a penalty shot.

IHF Member
    I guess Subban looked shaky in Canada's game against CIS opponent U of A. I'm not sold on the guy....maybe partly because I can't stand his brother.
    For some reason he seems to be considered the obvious #1. Goaltending is still my biggest worry.

It was a few years ago, but I officiated in the U17 AAA Provincial Championships when Subban was the goalie for the winning team in that tourney. At the time, I didn't think he was anything special and I have not changed my mind. We'll know later today when Canada makes its final cuts.

Canada fairing better in their 2nd preparation game leading a mixed CIS team 2-0 after period 1 in Calgary. Most of the players who are locks on the team are not playing for Canada. Within a couple of hours of the game, Canada needs to cut 1 goalie, 3 defencemen, and 4 forwards to get down to the roster limit.

IHF Member
    Hockey Canada rarely selects underage players, especially in a lock-out year, but this year they have two 17 year olds, MacKinnon and Drouin.

I'm not a huge fan of Subban as #1 tender but his OHL team does play on International ice, so I suppose that's something.

Canada names Ryan Nugent Hopkins as Captain ( No surprise there). Assistant captains are Jonathan Hueberdeau and Scott Harrington

IHF Member
    The Oilers said they would pull the Nuge if the lockout ended during the tourney (not likely though). Everybody watch Charles Hudon...love the kid.

With the NHLPA talking about dissolving, and the NHL going to court in New York to get legal backing for the lockout, Canada doesn't have anything to worry about.

IHF Member
    Any news about Girgensons?

IIHF has ruled that USA player Stefan Noesen is not eligible for WJC because he has 7 games remaining in his 10 game suspension in the OHL.

EHC Visp - Switzerland U-20 6:4 (2:2, 2:0, 2:2)
    1:0 - 05.56 Fabian Brem (Heldstab, Forget)
    2:0 - 10.50 Beat Helstab (Brem, Furrer)
    2:1 - 11.37 Jan Neuenschwander (Frick, Sieber)
    2:2 - 12.00 Alessio Bertaggia
    3:2 - 31.43 Pascal Marolf (Dolana)
    4:2 - 38.29 Niki Altorfer (Forget, Kuonen) PP1
    5:2 - 46.49 Fabian Brem(2) (Furrer, Forget)
    5:3 - 51.37 Jan Neuenschwander(2) (Frick, Sieber)
    6:3 - 57.17 Fabian Brem(3) (Anthamatten, Forget)
    6:4 - 59.58 Vincent Parplan (Richard, Kukan)
    PIM: 5x2+1x4 - 6x2+1x4+1x10 SOG: x-x Att: 1000

There was some talk about the difference between Noesen and Jonathan Huberdeau (CAN), who was given a 4-game suspension to be served after the WJC.

According to a reply Pierre McGuire received from the IIHF, the reason is as follows:

-Noesen's suspension was 10 games. From the date that the suspension was issued, he would not be eligible to return to OHL play until January 16th, that is to say after the end of the WJC. Since he may not play any IIHF tournament matches while suspended, he is thus unable to play in the WJC this year.
    -Huberdeau's suspension of 4 games would, if he had begun to serve games as of the date that the suspension was issued, keep him out of QMJHL play until December 23rd. In other words, his team will have played 4 games without him by the 23rd.

In both cases, the IIHF started counting games for the players' respective clubs from the date that the suspension was issued by the respective leagues, and not from the time the suspension is served. This is why Huberdeau, despite the fact that he will miss 4 club matches AFTER the WJC is over, is considered by the IIHF to have served his suspension by the 23rd December.

IHF Member
    Noesen isn't that good anyways...

He was going to be on Team USA in an NHL lockout year. Take from that what you will, Leaf fan.

IHF Member
    The IIHF can enforce their rules but I don't like the rule and I hope they re-evaluate it in the future. If the OHL decides to enforce the full penalty within their league now then Noesen's being punished above and beyond what the league had originally deemed necessary.

For the US team Noesen is a loss but I prefer to lose him than most of the others projected to be in the top 6 amongst forwards on the team.

IHF Member
    I agree with every word you said.

Latvia U-20 - SKA 1946 5:3 (1:0, 1:2, 3:1)
    1:0 - 07.40 Andris Siksnis (Škuratovs, Bukarts) PP1
    2:0 - 21.49 Edgars Siksna(2) (Kuzmenkovs, Jeļisejevs) PP2
    2:1 - 23.41 Alexander Barabnaov SH1
    2:2 - 35.46 Bogdan Gaidash (Avtomov, Kondratyev) PP2
    3:2 - 48.39 Martins Lavrovs (Ševčenko)
    4:2 - 52.56 Lauris Rancevs (Ševčenko, Lavrovs)
    5:2 - 55.24 Martins Lavrovs(2) (Andersons)
    5:3 - 59.17 Ivan Barabanov (Moskalev)
    PIM: 10x2 - 10x2+1x20 SOG: x-x Att: -

IHF Member
    So my brother says to me "hey you need to pick me up at 9:30 downtown Toronto on Thursday morning", so I says "....during the Canada game?!" and he says "It's only pre-tournament...don't be crazy." and I says "Only pre-tournament! ONLY pre-tournament!" anyways after some argument I have to pvr the Canada-Finland game, but I'm not happy.

Thought I'd share that story with you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information