Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Qualification Tournament, Group G, Budapest, HUN, 9-11 Nov 2012

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ro Herregraven View Post
    Unfortunately, this is all I could find of the game between Hungary and The Netherlands in Budapest. Seems a bit outdated :-)

I was there, what a good dutch team was that!

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EVH View Post
    Are there possibly a highlight video somewhere of the HUN-NED game? I would have never believed the Dutch to kick Hungary's ass at their home rink. Great achievement!
    You can find the highlights here: http://www.digisport.hu/more/jegkorong/news/7803/

I hope it works from abroad as well

Quote Originally Posted by Boban67 View Post
    Am I wrong but the Dutch team 1978-83 was pretty much the same and relied very much on imports (de Heer and co)? It was really a rollercoaster-era of Dutch hockey by winning the C- and B pools in ´78 and ´79, play the Olympics in ´80 and the A-pool in´81 and the follwing years turn back step by step to the C-pool...
    That's correct.
    Winning the C-Pool in '78,
    Winning the B-Pool in '79,
    Playing in the Olympics in '80 (losing three, but defeating Poland and tying the Japanese),
    Finishing last in the A-Pool in '81,
    Finishing last in the B-Pool in '82,
    and winning the C-Pool again in '83.

The Netherlands have been a B-Pool nation since, save for '89 and '99.

In the late '70's and early '80's, the Dutch relied heavily on Dutch Canadians. Only 6 or 7 players of the Lake Placid team were born and trained in The Netherlands.
    You can be sincere and still be stupid - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Quote Originally Posted by kerusz View Post
    You can find the highlights here: http://www.digisport.hu/more/jegkorong/news/7803/

I hope it works from abroad as well
    I'm afraid not, by the looks of it. There's a picture which cannot be clicked, that's it.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ro Herregraven View Post
    I'm afraid not, by the looks of it. There's a picture which cannot be clicked, that's it.
    Eh. I will ask them tomorrow to do something to make it available from outside Hungary as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kerusz View Post
    Eh. I will ask them tomorrow to do something to make it available from outside Hungary as well.
    That would be awesome, kerusz! Thank you very much!

Wow, HUGE congratulations to the Netherlands. NEVER would have predicted this, especially with Hungary at full strength and at home, and with the Dutch missing many of their best.

Upsets happen, and that's part of the beauty and drama of sports......the game is played on the ice, and not in a computer simulation.

I am thrilled for you, Ron, but I do feel badly for our friend Kerusz though.

IHF Member
    Wow Hup Holland! Feel bad for all the Hungarian fans but what a win for the Netherlands. Marcel Kars and Marco Postma were men possessed this tournament! Great atmosphere of course in the arena. Hungary is a hockey nation on the rise and shouldn't get down on this. Huge win for the Dutch though.

IHF Member
    oh my god, i was at the game.
    first off all congrats to Netherlands. you can be proud of these guys.

Netherlands had luck from time to time (scoring without dominating each time) but this is no excuse.

we defensed poorly, not enough action without puck. There was only 1 thing the Dutch did better; this was the way they fought near the rinks. As if we were thinking its enough to attack well. Because we obviously had brilliant attacks.

I believe we have a much stronger team than then NED but they could beat us with what we surprised the bigger ones (like France) around ten years ago. Defending solidly with soul until the very end, not giving too much space, playing without any will to dominate the games and scoring from relatively few chances. Now that we have more talented players then ten years ago we seem to have forgotten this receipt and were stupid enough to fall into this trap that we used to set up against others.

I hope that we use this experience and learn from it because facing Italy and Kazakhstan with a defense like this would be a nightmare.

Congratulations to the Netherlands!
    I didn't see this coming, but it seems like you have had a great tournament, and not just one lucky game.
    It is going to be a great experience to play Olympic qualification for your team.

Found this on twitter:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information