Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pan American Ice Hockey Tournament

IHF Member
    Mexican Federation now promoting the event and stating 3rd to 7th June as dates. The video on youtube shows footage from last year.

https://www.facebook.com/HockeyMexico?fref=ts

Seems to indicate there might be no Argentine team his year.

Geoff

Alas, political infighting remains the major hindrance to many of our countries here. I look forward to hear Noe's response to this. As I commented last year,in some of these events the guidelines of Mexico's relationship with the IIHF, can actually impede what could be an open tourney that showcases our fledgling programs. Once again I lobby that we form an independent allegiance,to grow together at our own rate, which down the road would give us all a stronger position to deal with the IIHF. And again I ask-Where is Jamaica,with their IIHF cred?
    "Ice is civilization" Paul Theroux-Mosquito Coast

https://www.facebook.com/events/338930976302866/

Participants announced:
    Men
    Argentina A, Argentina B, Brazil, Colombia, Mexico U-17, Mexico

Women
    Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Mexico U-18, Mexico

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fan75 View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/events/338930976302866/

Participants announced:
    Men
    Argentina A, Argentina B, Brazil, Colombia, Mexico U-17, Mexico

Women
    Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Mexico U-18, Mexico
    Good to see they are holding this tournament again. Think the absence of any Canadian team is good news. Hopefully they can continue as an annual event and help the emergence of new national teams in the region.

Geoff

Roster for Brazil: http://www.eurohockey.com/club/7601-brazil.html

good news, they have an American coach this season

IHF Prospect
    Colombia beat Argentina A 8-0 from the sounds of it. No scoresheet, no news, nothing else.

Well, hey, it was Argentina's best ever result against Colombia after three games! https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6796591&type=1

Surprising result, Colombia is champion with a 4-3 shootout win over Mexico. Last year they lost 11-2.

This not being a IIHF tournament, have to wonder what the makeup of some of those rosters are. Is Columbia something like Algeria in the Arab Cup (a bunch of Canadians with roots from there)? Or something else.

IHF Member
    I made a little googling and seems that most of them are playing inline or roller hockey. Some of them have represented Colombia national teams as well. Some play in USA college roller hockey leagues.
    Suprise that Argentina were so weak this year. Last year they beat Brazil, but this year Brazil was way better.

PanAmerican Champions

Colombian Ice Hockey Team..jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hundreds of FREE hockey drills at http://www.passthepuck.net

IHF Member
    Some things to consider when evaluating the results here.

All teams are comprised of amateurs who take time off work and pay their own way. They are not National teams in the same sense as professionals playing at the top level.

I suspect the Mexico team is not as strong as the one that plays in the IHWC.

Colombia and Brazil have little or no domestic ice hockey. Their players have learnt to play on ice elsewhere. Doubt they would meet IIHF qualification rules.

The Argentina teams represent a federation which has a predominately inline background. There is another federation which plays mainly on ice and they are not represented.

Still think it is a great event and hope it continues and goes from strength to strength.

Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffH; 14-06-2015 at 02:19.

IHF Member
    A full interview with Brazil's coach reported via NToIH

http://thehockeyhouse.net/internatio...ens-hinderlie/

Seems like they are building some real momentum and they are planning to get some home ice. Good that only one of the squad is not Brazil based.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    Some things to consider when evaluating the results here.

All teams are comprised of amateurs who take time off work and pay their own way. They are not National teams in the same sense as professionals playing at the top level.

I suspect the Mexico team is not as strong as the one that plays in the IHWC.

Colombia and Brazil have little or no domestic ice hockey. Their players have learnt to play on ice elsewhere. Doubt they would meet IIHF qualification rules.

The Argentina teams represent a federation which has a predominately inline background. There is another federation which plays mainly on ice and they are not represented.

Still think it is a great event and hope it continues and goes from strength to strength.

Geoff
    According to the IIHF article posted today, Mexico was led by some of their best regular players from the Worlds, so definitely not a team to sneeze at. Which makes the Colombian victory that much more impressive.

IHF Member
    Another article from Hockey House, linked on NToIH,

http://thehockeyhouse.net/internatio...e-hockey-team/

Says that Colombia hopes to join the IIHF and enter the IHWC. Great news.

Geoff

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    Thanks for posting those, I wish that the Mexican federation provided score sheets throughout :)

Surprising to see Echeverri struggle to put up outstanding numbers despite having such a strong tournament the year before. The opposing coaches were raving about him the entire time.

SE) Finally, after the victory, do you think we’ll see Colombia in the Division III World Championships in the near future?

SU) Yes, I hope that we can take this momentum and work toward a IIHF World Championship.

CF) That’s definitely part of our plans and we’ll see how soon that’ll be.
    Hope someone explains to them what the requirements are before they get too high on THAT idea..... a rink, for starters.

IHF Member
    even the IIHF did not get game sheets from MEX..... I've asked Martin Merk, but his answer was negative...
    Cheers, Franco

The third edition of Pan-American tournament will be played, as the previous ones, at Icedome Arena in Mexico City from 06 to 12 June 2016 with a men and women tournament, organized by Mexican Federation.
    Chile, Brazil, Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela, Panamá, Jamaica, USA, Canada, Argentina and México are the countries invited. At moment only Argentina, beside host Mexico, confirmed partecipation.
    Last year Colombia surprisingly won the tournament beating Mexico 4-3SO in the final

IHF Member
    That's good , do you have a public source for this news ?

Panama is an interesting one, I thought their neighbours Costa Rica had more capability.

Geoff
    The third edition of Pan-American tournament will be played, as the previous ones, at Icedome Arena in Mexico City from 06 to 12 June 2016 with a men and women tournament, organized by Mexican Federation.
    Chile, Brazil, Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela, Panamá, Jamaica, USA, Canada, Argentina and México are the countries invited. At moment only Argentina, beside host Mexico, confirmed partecipation.
    Last year Colombia surprisingly won the tournament beating Mexico 4-3SO in the final

I love this tournament, I'd love them all to take part. Other than anything north african related, this is my favourite part of the developing hockey world.

Pan-American tournament teams announced

The Brazilian Federation reported that Brasil, Colômbia, México A and B, Argentina A and B are the teams partecipating in third edition of Pan-American tournament, held in Mexico City from 6 to 12 June.
    "I'm very exited about the Pan-American and the future of icehockey in Brazil - said Brazilian national team American coach Jens Hinderlie - We have a lot of skilled athletes here who can play hockey at good level, we need more icetime"
    Brazil, bronze medal last year, announced the roster for the tournament

IHF Member
    Pan-American tournament teams announced

The Brazilian Federation reported that Brasil, Colômbia, México A and B, Argentina A and B are the teams partecipating in third edition of Pan-American tournament, held in Mexico City from 6 to 12 June.
    "I'm very exited about the Pan-American and the future of icehockey in Brazil - said Brazilian national team American coach Jens Hinderlie - We have a lot of skilled athletes here who can play hockey at good level, we need more icetime"
    Brazil, bronze medal last year, announced the roster for the tournament
    Basically the same 6 as last year. Good to see it becoming an annual event but I had hoped for some new countries and better representation from Argentina ( I assume these teams are again from Buenos Aires and not Ushaia )

Geoff

Just some passing thoughts.
    Last edited by hockeypuertorico; 08-06-2016 at 12:16. Reason: Beer
    "Ice is civilization" Paul Theroux-Mosquito Coast

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeypuertorico View Post
    As much as I admire Mexico and their new building,the Ice Dome, for making this happen,I reiterate for the third year,The IIHF sanctions have handcuffed our Developing countries once again-Where is Jamaica?-They are sanctioned. Costa Rica-Chile -The Falklands-The Caymans and Puerto Rico are left out-The abomination of Argentina I covered in the HHOF this year-We are developing, and do not need sanctions-We need growth. Do you not see that no S.A. Countries contribute here? It's a huge waste of time. We need to grow,NOT have sanctions? I'll step up and have a Puerto Rican open-even if it is on our Jr. rink (3 on 3)-You must realize 30 -players without Gov't funding CAN'T travel Expenses paid? Chile, as absurd as they are have it right. 3 on 3, have fun- minimal overhead(I've done it) -Where are the contributors on this site? NOWHERE-they quit because there is no input to contribute. Do you want to grow the sport? Or do you want to make us all part of the system? The answer is more than apparent here .And to the IIHF
    Sorry, this makes little sense to me. What IIHF sanctions are you referring to ? This is not an IIHF event anyway. I admire people who give their time and money to play in such events. Pity you can't raise a team.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Colombia isn´t part of IIHF and still they can play on this tournament. I see no sactions and restrictions here from IIHF.
    Mexico is at full national roster here as I compared two rosters from this tournament and this years WC Mexico roster. Only few names aren´t here at the Pan-American tournament. So other countries are quite good level comparing to WC DIV III, of course it´s theoretical, because they don´t meet the IIHF minimum standards (eligible player rule etc). Overall it is great tournament to follow.

IHF Prospect
    In case anybody is interested, you can see live streams of the matches on several Facebook pages, like "Hockey Arena" (from Argentina), "Ice Hockey - Colombia," and "Federacion Deportiva de Mexico de Hockey Sobre Hielo."

As far as "the abomination of Argentina,"...the women defeated Mexico B 3-0 this morning and will most likely come in second or third. Our mens A team lost 4-1 against Mexico U23 and 3-1 against last years champions Colombia (who last year beat us 8-0). Tomorrow is the must win game against Brazil.

There are lots of tournament pictures here:
    http://www.imagendeportiva.net/galle...ELO/607/page1/

IHF Member
    All results shown over on NToIH.

Another win for Colombia over Mexico in the men's final after a shoot-out.

Geoff

IHF Member
    And now on IIHF.com

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...iew/?tx_ttnews[tt_news]=10908&cHash=ec0eff433d16d2f6effa1f4816e74360

All results shown over on NToIH.

Another win for Colombia over Mexico in the men's final after a shoot-out.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Sorry I can't post the full link but you find the news item on IIHF.com, easily.

And now on IIHF.com

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...iew/?tx_ttnews[tt_news]=10908&cHash=ec0eff433d16d2f6effa1f4816e74360

IHF Member
    Sorry I can't post the full link but you find the news item on IIHF.com, easily.
    Replace the brackets before and after tt_news by %5B and %5D

IHF Member
    2017 edition of the tournament to take place in Mexico City from 5 June to 11 June according to National Teams of Ice Hockey. Participating teams not known yet.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salavat View Post
    2017 edition of the tournament to take place in Mexico City from 5 June to 11 June according to National Teams of Ice Hockey. Participating teams not known yet.
    And the source .....

https://www.facebook.com/HockeyMexico/

https://www.facebook.com/HockeyMexic...type=3&theater

IHF Member
    Good to see further expansion of this event being reported on NToIH.

Chile playing for first time plus second teams from Colombia and Brazil making 9 in total.

Geoff

IHF Member
    NToIH shows the full schedule for the forthcoming event. There are 3 groups of 3 for the preliminary round ;

ARG B
    BRA B
    COL A

ARG A
    CHI
    MEX A

BRA A
    COL B
    MEX B

The three group winners plus best second place team then playoff for top 4 places and the others for 5 to 9.

Geoff

IHF Member
    This event is now underway. Results are available on the Mexican Federation website and National Teams of Ice Hockey. Both have links on their Facebook pages.

Brutal start for Chile in their first appearance losing 26-0 to Argentina and 17-0 to Mexico.

Looks like the teams for the top 4 playoffs will be Mexico, Colombia, Argentina and Mexico B. Brazil were edged out 2-1 by Mexico B.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Hosts Mexico won the Men's event for the first time at the fourth attempt defeating Colombia 1-0 in the final.

Seems like the event is progressing well with five South and Central American countries now competing.

Nice summary by Martin Merk on IIHF.com.

Geoff

Final stats of the tournament are avaiable on eurohockey: http://www.eurohockey.com/league/132...ournament.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information