Thread: Best IHWC Players Ever by Country

IHF Prospect

Mens IHWC Best IHWC Players Ever by Country

Hey there. I thought this subject would be a good debate (and I LOVE debates)
    Here's the basics:

CANADA - Wayne Gretzky or Dany Heatley
    USA - John Vaniesbrouck
    RUSSIA - Valeri Kharlamov or Vladislav Tretiak
    CZECH REPUBLIC - Jaromir Jagr
    SLOVAKIA - Miroslav Satan or Lubomir Vinovsky

IHF Member
    EWWWW....Please...don't mention Heatley in the same breath with Gretzky.
    I'd rather pick Eberle or Jonathan Toews...or just about anyone else...than THAT guy.
    If Gretzky played in the next three tournaments he was eligible for, he'd have blown
    the record book to smithereens.
    BTW, Peter Forsberg for Sweden.

Denmark:

Jesper Duus (14 IHWC's), Jesper Damgaard (17 IHWC's) or Jens Nielsen (17 IHWC's).

Personally I would probably go with Nielsen. He has been with the team all the way from the C-Group to the Elite-Group, and has performed at all levels.

Umm.... Gretzky only ever played one IHWC, in 80-81. Considering him the best IHWC Canadian is kind of odd, when you look at guys who've played far more games and racked up far more points, have had a far greater impact on Canadian success at the IHWC over teh years. Just saying.

Latvia - Sandish Ozolins :D
    Dinamo Riga, Manchester Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
    Latvia - Sandish Ozolins :D
    If we talk about IHWC then not really. He has only played in 3 championships and retired long before he wasn't needed on our team. It would probably be someone like Leonīds Tambijevs or Rodrigo Laviņš. Tambijevs has the most points for our NT and has 15 WC and 2 OG under his belt. Laviņš maybe less, because even though he has been a strong member of the team, he has never been seen as a major force. Also a strong case could be made regarding late Kārlis Skrastiņš and Artūrs Irbe. Those three would be my picks if we talk about players at each position but I would love to hear what others think.
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

Post 1992 history it´s definitely Miroslav Šatan for Slovakia by far. Czechoslovakia times Slovak players probably Vladimír Dzurilla/Jozef Golonka.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

Easy: Ron Berteling - The Netherlands
    You can be sincere and still be stupid - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Because Tony Hand refused to play for GB for long parts of his career, you can't really select the most obvious candidate.

David Longstaff has just had his 100th cap, only second player in history to cross that threshold and the first since GB returned to international competition in 1989. However, I'd be more tempted to go for Stevie Lyle. Any success that GB have had has generally come from the fact that our netminding has been our strongest position and Lyle has been playing for his national team since the 1996 IHWC. For those two reasons, I'd put him as our best ever IHWC player (Stephen Murphy's first IHWC wasn't until 2001).

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Umm.... Gretzky only ever played one IHWC, in 80-81. Considering him the best IHWC Canadian is kind of odd, when you look at guys who've played far more games and racked up far more points, have had a far greater impact on Canadian success at the IHWC over teh years. Just saying.
    I misread this and thought he meant world junior.
    At the senior level, Rick Nash has played some impactful (is that a word?) hockey for Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by ElQuapo View Post
    Denmark:

Jesper Duus (14 IHWC's), Jesper Damgaard (17 IHWC's) or Jens Nielsen (17 IHWC's).

Personally I would probably go with Nielsen. He has been with the team all the way from the C-Group to the Elite-Group, and has performed at all levels.
    I would definitely not forget about Kim Staal.

Quote Originally Posted by WHawks View Post
    I would definitely not forget about Kim Staal.
    That's true. I actually did not include him because I thought he had'nt participated as much as he actually has. Checking up on it, I can see that he has played in 15 IHWC's, and is our topscorer at the Elite level.

Kim Staal

I still think Jens Nielsen is the top candidate though, as he has been involved in more competitions and at all levels from the C- to the Elite-Group.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Because Tony Hand refused to play for GB for long parts of his career, you can't really select the most obvious candidate.
    Graham.
    I think what was meant here was the best player per country at the Elite (or A Pool) level. Not lower levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Ro Herregraven View Post
    I think what was meant here was the best player per country at the Elite (or A Pool) level. Not lower levels.
    Not if he put Wayne Gretzky down for Canada...

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

For Finland, the pick is relatively easy. It has to be Petteri Nummelin. The world record holder in the number of elite level tournaments played (15) and a clutch member of the defense every time.

A case could be made for Raimo Helminen and Ville Peltonen as well, but IMO Nummelin tops them both in merit.
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Not if he put Wayne Gretzky down for Canada...

Graham.
    He also put down Dany Heatley. That just makes me question his abilities to select the best player, but I still think only Pool A/Elite was meant (which made the choice so easy for me, we've only been there once)

IHF Prospect
    Alright, I'm definitely revising my choices: Heatley and Gretzky are OUT.

Quote Originally Posted by itry View Post
    If we talk about IHWC then not really. He has only played in 3 championships and retired long before he wasn't needed on our team. It would probably be someone like Leonds Tambijevs or Rodrigo Laviš. Tambijevs has the most points for our NT and has 15 WC and 2 OG under his belt. Laviš maybe less, because even though he has been a strong member of the team, he has never been seen as a major force. Also a strong case could be made regarding late Krlis Skrastiš and Artrs Irbe. Those three would be my picks if we talk about players at each position but I would love to hear what others think.

Irbe is the man!

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Tapatalk 2
    Dinamo Riga, Manchester Storm

IHF Prospect
    CANADA - Rick Nash

Roberto Luongo had a long international career and has won a bunch of gold medals. And lets not forget he was goalie for the 2010 Olympics Gold Medal Game against Ryan Miller. He plays amazingly.

IHF Prospect
    DENMARK - Kim Staal, Jens Nielsen or Jesper Duus. Jorgen Hviid could be there to: He was the only Dane inducted to the IIHF Hall of Fame and is called the father of Danish hockey. Oh, yes, and Hviid scored the first Danish international goal in 1949. In case you were wondering, yes, this WAS in the Elite IHWC
    Last edited by BruinsFan; 11-01-2013 at 00:13.

IHF Prospect
    On second thought for Denmark, Jesper Damgaard should be there too. His jersey number, 7, is the only number retired by the Danmark Ishockey Union and the Danish national team and has played more games (256) for the Danish national team than anyone else has and is 6th all-time in points for the Danish national team.

Hard to argue with those choices for Denmark, Bruinsfan. It is also the ones ElQuapo suggested earlier and I can't really add any others to that group of four, but would have a hard time selecting just one.
    As for Jørgen Hviid, I know of him, but has for obvious reasons never seen him play myself, and due to the short stint we had in the Elite IHWC back then I don't think he can compete with the others mentioned still.

Quote Originally Posted by BruinsFan View Post

Roberto Luongo had a long international career and has won a bunch of gold medals. And lets not forget he was goalie for the 2010 Olympics Gold Medal Game against Ryan Miller. He plays amazingly.
    10-0 in elimination games at the senior level

IHF Member
    This is going back a long time but Seth Martin won a world championship for
    Canada (Trail Smoke Eaters) in 1961 and was Father Bauer's National Team
    goalie for much of the rest of the 60's.
    The amateur national squad was usually overmatched against the powerful Soviets
    but Martin's netminding kept the Canadians in most games against the USSR.

Thread Information