Thread: Kuwait Hockey

Kuwait Kuwait Hockey

I just got back from Kuwait and got to see the Kuwait National Team practice. It was quite the ordeal to find out when they practice since they have absolutely no internet presence, but I found a few players on Instagram and made my way down to the rink last saturday and watched about an hour of the practice. After talking with some players it seems they have a "National League" consisting of two teams (Qadsia and Kathma). While there isn't any info on the league on the web, I did find out the league is still in competition. The championship was played on the 6th of October 2012 with Qadsia winning 6-5. Congrats to Qadsia.

The program they have for the NT is great. They practice four days a week for 1.5 hours each day. If anyone in Kuwait wants to check it out they practice Saturday-Tuesday at 8:30 pm. You have to ask the front desk if they will allow you to go in and watch, but they were super friendly when I asked in broken Arabic.

The team is much better than I would have anticipated. If I were to compare to NA I'd say they would be beer league. They had a few guys who were actually pretty decent, but also a few guys who were not so decent.

Let me know if anyone has questions or wants to see pictures!

It would be great to see the pictures. Did they have NT jerseys or just used recreational ones?
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

No NT jerseys except one that didn't look very current. It was kind of a practice jersey with a few sponsor logos and a Kuwait flag patch on the shoulder. It looked like mostly an array of random jerseys. I'm on my phone right now, but I'll try to upload some of the pictures tomorrow when I'm near a computer. Really great to see how organized hockey was here. They even have a kuwait hockey school that meets for training about once a week (maybe more?) for the juniors. Hockey in Kuwait is clearly growing, which is amazing. Hoping to see them compete in div III soon. They have a lot of potential and I think they'd be quite competitive. They have monetary support from the government and I'm told there is a shaikh solely for hockey. Whatever that may mean... A governor of the sport I assume?

Thread Information