Thread: NHL ATTITUDE and SOTCHI 2014

NHL ATTITUDE and SOTCHI 2014

So, now we will have a NHL season. But there is one point not touched yet and left behind in
    negotiation: its THE AVAILABILITY OF NHLER for SOTCHI 2014.

That's the different positions now.

NHL: Wants to get more direct benefits for closing its doors every four years for two weeks.

- the NHL has provided the player while IOC reaped the financial benefits.According to
    BETTMAN

wants the IOC to loosen up guidelines on images, videos, media.

- with participation of NHLER the TV rights are higher and NHL team must be
    compensated.BETTMAN SAYS.

wants to negotiate on number of tickets, hotel rooms and better hospitality for... team
    owners.?

IIFH: NHL is welcome but WE WILL NOT knee down. The tournament can very well be organised
    without NHL and it will not influence on assistance number. FASEL DIXIT.

- Like before, in the future we will not give one $ to the NHL

- Billionaire club owners used to go to games in limousine and assist behind
    giant glass windows in their luxury loges will not be treated differently as in last
    Olympics. (2 tickets per owner with commoners and no free hotel rooms.)

NHLPA: in a survey by NHLPA 90 % of player voted for the Olympic participation.

http://www.20min.ch/sport/eishockey/...-NHL--17671233
    http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/story/?id=413081

I think that is the last time BETTMAN AND FASEL met: extract from pres conf in VANCOUVER: I copy
    paste from TSN.

Back at that memorable press conference with Bettman and Fasel in Vancouver -- which the NHL was
    unable to show on the NHL Network, for example -- the commissioner offered a quick retort WHEN
    FASEL suggested BETTMAN'S primary interest in the Olympics was business.

"I will respectfully disagree with my GOOD FRIEND," said Bettman. "This costs us money, this
    disrupts our season, we don't make any money off it. We are here because we believe it's good
    for the game. ..
    "We have turned over for two weeks control of the most important assets in our game -- and
    that's our players. Nobody should underestimate for a second the fact that we do that, and the
    players want us to do that, because we think this is important for the game."

IMHO just go on doing exactly that, LOVE THE GAME Mr.BETTMAN. But show it this time!.
    the myth OLIMPIA is so much bigger than any league including NHL. Their cannot be comparison
    even for American businessman.

IF Russian player participate in any case it would lead to a severe clash between NHL and IIFH
    which could lead to the NHL refusing to give player to WCs.

Of course the above position is a starting point. We will follow what happens but I think the
    negotiation will start soon as SOTCHI is only 13 months away.

MY GOD! I don't like that BETTMAN.

Not that I like FASEL much.

OVESHKIN will be one of the OLYMPIC FLAME BEARER according to this:

http://www.eurohockey.com/article/22...chbearers.html

http://swisshabs.blogspot.com.es/201...mme.html#links.

CAPITALS probably will have something to say about it.

Giving the NHL, and for that matter any team owner who's player is participating at the Olympics, an hotel room isn't such a big deal. Just give it to them? Why the NHL thinks IT should make money from the Olympics? They Olympics doesn't need NHL players to go on, but obviously the players will want to represent their country. Especially us Europeans!

There should be an Olympic participation clause in NHL contracts maybe? So the player decides.
    Dinamo Riga, Manchester Storm

Interesting article from NEW YORK TIMES J.Z. KLEIN on NHL/IIFH/IOC negotiations.

Good resume of situation now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/04/sp...f=hockey&_r=1&

Many owner and manager don't like the break in the league for OLYMPICS What is your position.

To the question of a BERNER ZEITUNG journalist ON 21.2.13, DAVID POILE(GM Predators) answered:

We have to look at it on a long term basis and consider it globally What is good for Ice hockey.
    Maybe we will soon have a plane so fast that in three hours you are in Switzerland from NY. Then
    it could be thinkable to integrate European teams to NHL.
    The situation is not ideal for us but the OL games are the biggest stage imaginable because not
    only hockey fans follow the games. In the interest of hockey and its long term development I am
    in favour of our participation.

Some positive and imo intelligent position. I do think they are a majority thinking like him in
    NHL otherwise there would not be any talking of participation.

http://www.bernerzeitung.ch/sport/ho...story/21352171

According to NHL.com

BILL DALY will be one the participant to visit SOCCHI to conduct a site visit and participate in
    meetings regarding potential participation of NHL in OG.

"I would hope to be in a position where this is resolved one way or the other by the end of this
    month," Daly told NHL.com.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

According to 20MINUTES. IIHF,IOC,NHL are on the brink of reaching agreement for NHLer
    participation to SOCCHI 2014.

FASEL: I am confident we will reach agreement before next WC in May (starts on the 3rd of May).
    However agreement is only for SOCCHI 2014 and doenst include SEOUL/KOREA 2018.

In an another subject of negociation with NHL. IIFH will arrange a global transfert agreement
    allowing clubs to receive compensation from NHL when a player is contracted. Today only few
    countries have this kind of agreement with NHL. Swiss clubs for instance do not have it. Amounts
    up to 250K SFR. per player.

FASEL: We are on the right way to reach something. ALSO NHL has interests in a global agreement.

The third paragraph talks about FASEL wanting to bring NHL to China and his good contact to
    Chinese sport minister who favoures the idea.

FASEL: there is strong interest there and very positive response for season starts games like we had
    in Europe and Japan.

http://www.20min.ch/sport/eishockey/...dabei-29365599

Quote Originally Posted by Ibizajp View Post
    According to 20MINUTES. IIHF,IOC,NHL are on the brink of reaching agreement for NHLer
    participation to SOCCHI 2014.
    The third paragraph talks about FASEL wanting to bring NHL to China and his good contact to
    Chinese sport minister who favoures the idea.

FASEL: there is strong interest there and very positive response for season starts games like we had
    in Europe and Japan.

http://www.20min.ch/sport/eishockey/...dabei-29365599
    I'm a bit lost by that one. The NHL operates outside of IIHF influences. The "strong interest" and "very positive response" from China has to exclusively be from the Chinese sport minister. Those great attendances of China Dragon of around 100 show how much interest there is. Another failed financial event if it comes off.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Quote Originally Posted by Trim View Post
    I'm a bit lost by that one. The NHL operates outside of IIHF influences. The "strong interest" and "very positive response" from China has to exclusively be from the Chinese sport minister. Those great attendances of China Dragon of around 100 show how much interest there is. Another failed financial event if it comes off.
    yes me too! I first thought what the hell has Fasel to do with NHL business anyway?
    Except great contact with that minister I would not know what he (IIFH) could bring to NHL.
    On the other hand negociations take often strange byways and turns.
    Now interest in China as a huge potential market can never be dismissed. Somehow have to start
    somewhere.
    If they really want to fill an arena for a starting game the Chinese can certainly do it. Even
    if today few people even know about NHL.
    Good or not for hockey over there I would not know.

Optimisme for Socchi according to IIHF website

http://www.iihf.com/competition/352/...html?tx_ttnews[backPid]=7123&cHash=62e534b5db

Looks like negotiations for NHL participation in Sotchi takes longer than anticipated but hopes to conclude soon
    are still there according to NHL representatives Bill Daly:

As for the OL games negociations they are a bit more complicated as they are in Sotchi. The CIO is more actively
    implicated as in the past. The NHLPA is also more implicated regarding logistic for players, family, guests. We
    are still working. Both parts have been in close contact during the last days and we hope that we can conclude
    in the near future

http://www.planetehockey.com/news-jo...cio,40073.html

Its now official NHL and IIHF reach agreement for Sochi. The NHL will break from the 2013-14 regular season schedule on February 9 and return to play February 26 to allow for participation in the Games.

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...html?tx_ttnews[backPid]=955&cHash=806c00b62b

Great news. Best on best games.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibizajp View Post
    Its now official NHL and IIHF reach agreement for Sochi. The NHL will break from the 2013-14 regular season schedule on February 9 and return to play February 26 to allow for participation in the Games.

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...html?tx_ttnews[backPid]=955&cHash=806c00b62b

Great news. Best on best games.
    Good.
    I would hate to think of the consequences if a deal wasn't reached.
    That would have been bad for the NHL, bad for the IIHF....bad for hockey fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Heatleysucks View Post
    That would have been bad for the NHL, bad for the IIHF....bad for hockey fans.
    It was pretty much a foregone conclusion. Of course the NHL strung things along to squeeze as many perks out of it as they could, but would not have afforded to not reach a deal in the end.

Simply put, it would have been yet another carrot to hand over to the KHL to lure players. I don't know what's the current general attitude towards international play in North America, but it is a big deal for us Europeans. Many players - and not just the Russians - could have elected to stay closer to home had the NHL shut them a chance to play in the olympics. Especially when it's no longer a choice of not playing in a league that offers good salaries and reasonably high level of play.
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Laho View Post
    I don't know what's the current general attitude towards international play in North America, but it is a big deal for us Europeans.
    In the States, there isn't an attitude at all. Barring the folks here, its largely just a temporary awareness of the Olympics and then everybody forgets about international competiton.

Mind you, in central China, seemingly nobody's aware of what sport is!
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Thread Information