France - Kazakhstan
    Latvia - United Kingdom

08-02-2013
    France - United Kingdom
    Kazakhstan - Latvia

10-02-2013
    United Kingdom - Kazakhstan
    Latvia - France

A lot of things going on with regards to this tournament, not only with the Latvian team, but Kazakhs as well.

This was Latvian team's preliminary candidates list: http://www.lhf.lv/18012013-nosaukti_...lases_kandidat

In the end, some interesting decisions were made by Ted Nolan, as there is no Guntis Galviņš or Gints Meija, Raitis Ivanāns at the camp, only nine players from Dinamo Riga. Latvia might have to play without Miķelis Rēdlihs, as yesterday he received a hit to the head and didn't finish the game, still there have been no updates on his condition.

The biggest news of today is that Sandis Ozoliņš has decided to return to the national team (could this be an indication that he wants to play in one final tournament, before retiring?), yet, as he wasn't included in the preliminary roster, technically he shouldn't be allowed to play in the OQ anyway.

I like some of the things Nolan is trying to do but I dont see the point in having Ivanāns at camp, he is pointless, you could of invited pretty much anybody and they would of served more of a purpose then Ivanāns. Ignoring that, I look forward to seeing how Nolan wants to shape this roster. Ozoliņš coming back to the National team is great news.

Well if everyone is healthy then we are pretty stacked with players and there would not be a place for guys like Ivanāns or Meija anyways. With guys like Rēdlihs (if everything is ok, though that hit did look pretty bad), Dārziņš, Sprukts, Indrašis, Karsums + a center we already have top 6. Also there are guys like Jekimovs, Ķēniņš, Cipulis, Ņiživijs coming in somewhere there on the wings and Pavlovs, Saulietis realistically fighting for a spot on the 4th line. Centers are a problem as usual though and I would probably pick Bičevskis over Bērziņš on the fourth given that others are taken by Džeriņš and Širokovs. In any case there is a reserve of wingers that would give the team a lot more than Ivanāns though I like how he plays a lot (given his minutes and everything).

And there is even less room on our defense. With Bārtulis, Kulda, Pujacs and Ozoliņš (Lipmans says he can play so let's wait and see) are locks and I think K. Rēdlihs as well. So that leaves just one or two spots to choose from faulty Cibuļskis, uninspiring Sotnieks, somewhat decent Reķis and an unknown Jass. Maybe some other guy can try to fight for a spot but I don't really think so.

As far as Kazakhs go, they are clearly putting a lot of effort and I suppose money into their team this year. Though they don't seem to understand IIHF rules regarding players changing nationality even at the highest levels of federation and things they say about that sometimes are really baffling. But to be fair Latvian federation also has some history with that. Getting Dallman on their team semi-legally of course is a big boost but if their goaly problem isn't solved then it might not be enough. The game against Austria should give us some insight as to what expect from them.

France isn't anything spectacular but they weren't last year in WC as well and we all know hot that turned out. Probably it's not gonna be an easy game, but for some reason Latvian style of hockey has always seemed to work pretty good on them. At least they are actually French and I am glad to see that.

GB is an underdog and I don't think that they will pull any upsets at this level but they are welcome to try and prove me wrong.
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

So, according not only to Lipmans, but now also Latvian GM Māris Baldonieks, preliminary roster serves only an informative purpose for the IIHF, and it is allowed to have other players on roster as well, thus Ozoliņš should be able to play.

Quote Originally Posted by itry View Post
    As far as Kazakhs go, they are clearly putting a lot of effort and I suppose money into their team this year. Though they don't seem to understand IIHF rules regarding players changing nationality even at the highest levels of federation and things they say about that sometimes are really baffling. But to be fair Latvian federation also has some history with that. Getting Dallman on their team semi-legally of course is a big boost but if their goaly problem isn't solved then it might not be enough. The game against Austria should give us some insight as to what expect from them.
    Why semi-legally?

Quote Originally Posted by Oz View Post
    Why semi-legally?
    I can only say what I gather from Kazakh forums as I have not looked into their laws or anything. As far as I understand in Kazakhstan there is no dual citizenship so in order to gain citizenship of Kazakhstan you need to give up your previous one as in this case Canadian. Personally I highly doubt Dallman has given up Canadian citizenship and his interviews give subtle hints that it is the case. As far as IIHF is concerned everything is legal as he holds Kazakh passport but weather or not that is accordance to laws of Kazakhstan is arguable. Even though it is supposedly not the first time this has been done and even a lot of Latvian subjects have done similar things (Podziņš case could also be mentioned, but that is somewhat different) that kind of thing isn't quite legal according to their constitution. But do not quote me on that as I don't have any proof whatsoever. Maybe I have a bit stronger opinion on this type of naturalization in this case as it affects Latvian NT in some way but personally I condone this kind of thing, where a player will represent a country where he has basically nothing common with it and does not to plan to have it in future. I suppose the Croatian NT could be named as an example.

I can only say what I gather from Kazakh forums as I have not looked into their laws or anything. As far as I understand in Kazakhstan there is no dual citizenship so in order to gain citizenship of Kazakhstan you need to give up your previous one as in this case Canadian. Personally I highly doubt Dallman has given up Canadian citizenship and his interviews give subtle hints that it is the case. As far as IIHF is concerned everything is legal as he holds Kazakh passport but weather or not that is accordance to laws of Kazakhstan is arguable. Even though it is supposedly not the first time this has been done and even a lot of Latvian subjects have done similar things (Podziņš case could also be mentioned, but that is somewhat different) that kind of thing isn't quite legal according to their constitution. But do not quote me on that as I don't have any proof whatsoever. Maybe I have a bit stronger opinion on this type of naturalization in this case as it affects Latvian NT in some way but personally I condone this kind of thing, where a player will represent a country where he has basically nothing common with it and does not to plan to have it in future. I suppose the Croatian NT could be named as an example.
    Fair enough. At least I hope he bothers to show up in WC B in the spring as well. :D Will see how patriotic he truly is...

As far as I've understood, Kazakh government is currently working on a way, how Dallman could keep his Canadian passport legally.. :D

IHF Prospect

Kazakhstan

Austria vs Kazakhstan - 1:4

Let's go GB!
    Dinamo Riga, Manchester Storm

Test match

Belarus - France 4:0 (1:0, 2:0, 1:0)
    1:0 - 09.18 Andrei Stas (Demagin) PP2
    2:0 - 25.25 Alexei Ugarov (Chernook, Koltsov)
    3:0 - 29.55 Andrei Mikhailov (Kulakov) PP1
    4:0 - 44.36 Vladimir Denisov (Kulakov, Kitarov) PP1
    PIM: 5x2 - 10x2 SOG: 29-17 Att: 14,09

Latvian camp roster:

Goalies:
    Māris Jučers (Dinamo Riga, KHL)
    Edgars Masaļskis (Yugra, KHL)
    Ervīns Muštukovs (Mora IK, Allsvenskan)

Defenders:
    Oskars Bārtulis (Donbass, KHL)
    Oskars Cibuļskis (Dinamo Riga, KHL)
    Māris Jass (Hannover, DEL)
    Artūrs Kulda (Sibir, KHL)
    Sandis Ozoliņš (Atlant, KHL)
    Georgijs Pujacs (Avangard, KHL)
    Krišjānis Rēdlihs (Dinamo Riga, KHL)
    Arvīds Reķis (Dinamo Riga, KHL)
    Kristaps Sotnieks (Dinamo Riga, KHL)

Forwards:
    Armands Bērziņš (Kompanion, UKR)
    Mārtiņš Cipulis (Lev, KHL)
    Lauris Dārziņš (Ak Bars, KHL)
    Andris Džeriņš (Dinamo Riga, KHL)
    Miks Indrašis (Dinamo Riga, KHL)
    Roberts Jekimovs (SaiPa, SM)
    Mārtiņš Karsums (Dinamo Riga, KHL)
    Ronalds Ķēniņš (ZSC, NLA)
    Gints Meija (Dinamo Riga, KHL)
    Aleksandrs Ņiživijs (Lev, KHL)
    Vitālijs Pavlovs (Dinamo Riga, KHL)
    Miķelis Rēdlihs (Lokomotiv, KHL)
    Jānis Sprukts (CSKA, KHL)
    Juris Štāls (Poprad, SVK)

So, Latvia is in almost full strength, I mean, the team even has two players that were retired from the team for years (Ozoliņš since 2006; Ņiživijs since 2011), the only players missing are North Americans - Daugaviņš (Ottawa) as well as Pelšs and Girgensons (both AHL).

IHF Member
    Longstaff retired, Murphy and Weaver both out injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
    Let's go GB!

So Širokovs isn't coming after all? Gonna be interesting to see who will be cut from forwards. I would be surprised if it's anyone outside of Štāls, Bērziņš and Pavlovs. Suspected Saulietis to get a call but oh well, we seem to be lining up pretty good without him anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    Longstaff retired, Murphy and Weaver both out injured.
    Indeed. I dont understand Longstaffs timing but whatever. We can't rely on over paid Elite League'ers forever. We have no chance, it's just 1. Nice to see use get to this level and 2. Nice that ESPN will so it live!

So Širokovs isn't coming after all? Gonna be interesting to see who will be cut from forwards. I would be surprised if it's anyone outside of Štāls, Bērziņš and Pavlovs. Suspected Saulietis to get a call but oh well, we seem to be lining up pretty good without him anyways.
    Yeah, he told his club and Swiss papers that he would be turning down the invite because he wanted to help out RED ICE get into the play-offs in their first year.

Great Britain has to make changes in the roster, all due to injuries: Basingstoke Bison netminder Stevie Lyle will replace Stephen Murphy while Nottingham Panthers defenceman Steve Lee will replace team-mate Jonathan Weaver

IHF Member
    Great news for Great Britain, in that ESPN will show all 3 matches. Cant remember the last time GB were on tv live! Hopefully it will draw a good audience and encourage more international hockey coverage over here.

IHF Prospect
    Does ESPN have internet live stream of the matches? As usual host country has arranged comfortable schedule for itself, but I believe I'm not too optimistic to go with: 1.Kazakhstan 2. Latvia 3. France 4.Britain

Quote Originally Posted by Ulan View Post
    Does ESPN have internet live stream of the matches? As usual host country has arranged comfortable schedule for itself, but I believe I'm not too optimistic to go with: 1.Kazakhstan 2. Latvia 3. France 4.Britain
    Not sure about ESPN but I'm sure Sportacentrs or LTV is it will have a stream? Although I can't watch them any more thanks to the geo blocking :D

Not sure about ESPN but I'm sure Sportacentrs or LTV is it will have a stream? Although I can't watch them any more thanks to the geo blocking :D
    You shouldnt have problems with Sportacentrs, you just have to click the link for people outside Latvia but they dont have the matches. LTV does geoblock but somebody always posts a stream online.

IHF Member
    French roster

GK : HARDY Florian (Angers), HUET Cristobal (Lausanne, SUI), LHENRY Fabrice (Rouen)

DEF : AMAR Baptiste (Grenoble), AUVITU Yohann (Jyväskylä, FIN), BACHET Vincent (Amiens), HECQUEFEUILLE Kévin (Karlskrona, SWE), MANAVIAN Antonin (Innsbruck, AT), MOISAND Maxime (Odense, DEN), MORANT Johann (Lugano, SUI).

FW : BELLEMARE Pierre-Edouard (Skelleftea, SWE), BERTRAND Charles (Lukko Rauma, FIN), CLAIREAUX Valentin (Amiens), DESROSIERS Julien (Rouen), FLEURY Damien (Södertälje, SWE), HENDERSON Brian (Angers), LAMPERIER Loïc (Briançon), MEUNIER Laurent (Straubing, GER), RAUX Damien (Mulhouse), RECH Anthony (Rouen), RITZ Nicolas (Dijon), TREILLE Sacha (Prague, CZE), TREILLE Yorick (Chomoutov, CZE).

Injuries for Nicolas Besch, Teddy Da Costa and Anthony Guttig,

IHF Prospect
    Interesting...defender Ben O'Connor (Arlan Kokshetau club, KAZ championship) is seems to be in the list of British roster

IHF Prospect

Kazakhstan

Kazakh advanced roster:

Keepers:
    1. Pavel Poluèktov («Barys»);
    2. Vitalij Kolesnik («Lokomotiv», KHL);
    3. Vitalij Eremeev («Barys»);
    Defenders:
    4. Roman Savchenko («Barys»);
    5. Vitalij Novopashin («Barys»);
    6. Evgenij Blokhin («Neftehimik», KHL);
    7. Maksim Semenov («Atlant», KHL);
    8. Aleksej Bondarev («Metallurg», KHL)
    9. Aleksej Vasilchenko («Traktor», KHL);
    10. Evgenij Fadeev («Barys»);
    11. Kevin Dallman (SKA, KHL);
    12. Aleksej Troshinskij («Vitjaz», KHL);
    13. Aleksej Litvinenko («Barys»);
    14. Roman Tesljuk («Buran», VHL);
    Forwards:
    15. Maksim Spiridonov («Barys»);
    16. Talgat Zhajlauov («Barys»);
    17. Fedor Polischuk («Barys»);
    18. Viktor Aleksandrov («Barys»);
    19. Ilia Solarev («Barys»);
    20. Konstantin Savenkov («Barys»);
    21. Evgenij Bumagin («Barys»);
    22. Andrej Gavrilin («Barys»);
    23. Konstantin Rudenko («Barys»);
    24. Dmitrij Upper («Barys»);
    25. Roman Starčenko («Barys»);
    26. Vadim Krasnoslobodcev («Barys»);
    27. Maksim Beljaev («Jugra», KHL);
    28. Konstantin Pushkarev («Barys»);
    29. Konstantin Romanov («Barys»);
    30. Mihail Rakhmanov («Barys»).

Final GB roster:

Netminders
    Ben Bowns (Hull Stingrays)
    Stevie Lyle (Basingstoke Bison)

Defencemen
    Steve Lee (Nottingham Panthers)
    Danny Meyers (Sheffield Steelers)
    Ben O’Connor (Arlan Kokshetau)
    David Phillips (Belfast Giants)
    Mark Richardson (Cardiff Devils)
    Rod Sarich (Sheffield Steelers)
    Mark Thomas (Sheffield Steelers)

Forwards
    David Clarke (Nottingham Panthers)
    Robert Dowd (Troja-Ljungby)
    Robert Farmer (Braehead Clan)
    Mark Garside (Belfast Giants)
    Jason Hewitt (Sheffield Steelers)
    Phil Hill (Cardiff Devils)
    Robert Lachowicz (Nottingham Panthers)
    Matthew Myers (Nottingham Panthers)
    Greg Owen (Basingstoke Bison)
    Craig Peacock (Belfast Giants)
    Jonathan Phillips (Sheffield Steelers)
    Colin Shields (Belfast Giants)
    Ashley Tait (Sheffield Steelers)

Kazakh advanced roster:

Keepers:
    1. Pavel Poluèktov («Barys»);
    2. Vitalij Kolesnik («Lokomotiv», KHL);
    3. Vitalij Eremeev («Barys»);
    Defenders:
    4. Roman Savchenko («Barys»);
    5. Vitalij Novopashin («Barys»);
    6. Evgenij Blokhin («Neftehimik», KHL);
    7. Maksim Semenov («Atlant», KHL);
    8. Aleksej Bondarev («Metallurg», KHL)
    9. Aleksej Vasilchenko («Traktor», KHL);
    10. Evgenij Fadeev («Barys»);
    11. Kevin Dallman (SKA, KHL);
    12. Aleksej Troshinskij («Vitjaz», KHL);
    13. Aleksej Litvinenko («Barys»);
    14. Roman Tesljuk («Buran», VHL);
    Forwards:
    15. Maksim Spiridonov («Barys»);
    16. Talgat Zhajlauov («Barys»);
    17. Fedor Polischuk («Barys»);
    18. Viktor Aleksandrov («Barys»);
    19. Ilia Solarev («Barys»);
    20. Konstantin Savenkov («Barys»);
    21. Evgenij Bumagin («Barys»);
    22. Andrej Gavrilin («Barys»);
    23. Konstantin Rudenko («Barys»);
    24. Dmitrij Upper («Barys»);
    25. Roman Starčenko («Barys»);
    26. Vadim Krasnoslobodcev («Barys»);
    27. Maksim Beljaev («Jugra», KHL);
    28. Konstantin Pushkarev («Barys»);
    29. Konstantin Romanov («Barys»);
    30. Mihail Rakhmanov («Barys»).
    Bumagin cut, Semyonov injured, Vasilchenko AWOL, Teslyuk and Spiridonov and Rudenko and Bondarev in-eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by Starkovs View Post
    You shouldnt have problems with Sportacentrs, you just have to click the link for people outside Latvia but they dont have the matches. LTV does geoblock but somebody always posts a stream online.
    Ahh didn't know that about Sportacentrs, thanks!

Interesting...defender Ben O'Connor (Arlan Kokshetau club, KAZ championship) is seems to be in the list of British roster
    Yes. You can see on here http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=20906 he did ok last year in Kaz too. He's a good prospect of ours, also you'll see he played junior in Canada

IHF Member
    Good looking final team from GB, minus Weaver and Murphy thats as strong as we have. Time for Ben Bowns to translate the promise he showed during the World Junior campaigns into great performances for the Senior team. O'Connor was imense during the D1 silver medal two years ago, im looking forward to see if Robert Dowd has improved during his time in Sweden.

For GB its all about getting an early lead, then battling the rest of the way, without giving away the silly penalties that hurt us in D1 last year.

Quote Originally Posted by ukfan View Post
    Good looking final team from GB
    Only 2 Canadians too :D

http://www.britishicehockey.co.uk/ne...nsen-6502.html

Watch out Latvians! Our Canadian Assistant coach knows!

Only 2 Canadians too :D
    One, Sarich. Everyone else is as or more British as I am.

Quote Originally Posted by mattski93 View Post
    One, Sarich. Everyone else is as or more British as I am.
    Well Tait being born in Toronto - but no need to debate over it he's playing for us. English/Canadian not much difference anyway

Here is an article from the IIHF dealing with the British team as it prepares for this tournament. A lot of quotes from legendary player Tony Hand, now 45 years old, who currently serves as the coach of the national team. He should suit up!

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=c066a26e71

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Here is an article from the IIHF dealing with the British team as it prepares for this tournament. A lot of quotes from legendary player Tony Hand, now 45 years old, who currently serves as the coach of the national team. He should suit up!

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=c066a26e71
    Thanks Marc, nice read! Hand definantly should suit up. He's still the best player we have! http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=20964 Look at the state of his points!

Yesterday Oskars Cibuļskis as well as Māris Jass (injury) and Andris Džeriņš were cut from the Latvian team.

In the meantime, the obvious has happened, and Sandis Ozoliņš has officially been announced the captain of the team.

IHF Member
    But learnt his hockey in UK. Can't blame him for where he was born !!!

Well Tait being born in Toronto - but no need to debate over it he's playing for us. English/Canadian not much difference anyway

Kazakhstan

France - Kazakhstan 2:3 (0:2, 1:1, 1:0)

Goals:
    0:1 - 07:00 Starchenko (Upper).
    0:2 - 11:31 Romanov (Dallman).
    1:2 - 32:17 Trey (Bellemare).
    1:3 - 34:40 Zhaylauov (Polishchuk). PP
    2:3 - 57:42 Baptist.

Goalkeepers: Yue - Kolesnik
    penalties: 6:6 (2:2, 4:2, 0:2).

France - Kazakhstan 2-3
    http://eurohockey.com/game/detail/54...azakhstan.html

France dominated 3rd period but they played very bad in the first.
    Great game by KAZ goalie Vitali Kolesnik

Really disappointing result for the French and hopefully they can bounce back against the Brits. Nice start for the Kazakhs though.

Quote Originally Posted by IbragimKZ View Post
    France - Kazakhstan 2:3 (0:2, 1:1, 1:0)

Goals:
    0:1 - 07:00 Starchenko (Upper).
    0:2 - 11:31 Romanov (Dallman).
    1:2 - 32:17 Trey (Bellemare).
    1:3 - 34:40 Zhaylauov (Polishchuk). PP
    2:3 - 57:42 Baptist.

Goalkeepers: Yue - Kolesnik
    penalties: 6:6 (2:2, 4:2, 0:2).
    And now with correctly spelled names :-) (although Yue is an instant classic)

France (14) - Kazachstan (17) 2 - 3 (0-2, 1-1, 1-0)
    Shots on goal: 38-19
    Christobal HUET: 16 saves, 84,21%
    Vitali KOLESNIK: 36 saves, 94,74%
    07:00 0-1 EQ Roman STARCHENKO (Dmitri UPPER)
    11:31 0-2 EQ Konstantin ROMANOV (Kevin DALLMAN)
    32:17 1-2 EQ Sacha TREILLE (Pierre Edouard BELLEMARE)
    34:40 1-3 PP Talgat ZHAILAUOV (Fyodor POLISHUK)
    57:42 2-3 EQ Baptiste AMAR

I'm surprised by this Kazach victory, as France is 14th on the World Ranking and Kazachstan is only 17th.
    You can be sincere and still be stupid - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Quote Originally Posted by Ro Herregraven View Post
    And now with correctly spelled names :-) (although Yue is an instant classic)

France (14) - Kazachstan (17) 2 - 3 (0-2, 1-1, 1-0)
    Shots on goal: 38-19
    Christobal HUET: 16 saves, 84,21%
    Vitali KOLESNIK: 36 saves, 94,74%
    07:00 0-1 EQ Roman STARCHENKO (Dmitri UPPER)
    11:31 0-2 EQ Konstantin ROMANOV (Kevin DALLMAN)
    32:17 1-2 EQ Sacha TREILLE (Pierre Edouard BELLEMARE)
    34:40 1-3 PP Talgat ZHAILAUOV (Fyodor POLISHUK)
    57:42 2-3 EQ Baptiste AMAR

I'm surprised by this Kazach victory, as France is 14th on the World Ranking and Kazachstan is only 17th.
    sorry, don't know how to write on french

Quote Originally Posted by IbragimKZ View Post
    sorry, don't know how to write on french
    No worries man, I didn't want to make fun of you at all. The same would happen to me if I had to write down Kazach names. Congrats on the win!
    You can be sincere and still be stupid - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

No worries man, I didn't want to make fun of you at all. The same would happen to me if I had to write down Kazach names. Congrats on the win!

Robert Dowd equalized now for GB after the early goal by Meija... 1-1

IHF Prospect

there is no surprise if one to look to team rosters, Kazakh players this time have got much more experince from KHL, though France has been showing very good performance as a team in the last several years.

Lets see tomorrow - Latvians are very dangerous for us (to KAZ)

That was not the greatest of periods but towards the end it got better. I wasnt the biggest fan of Štāls being here but he and that entire line had a good period, really need to finish those 2-on-1s, nice period from Lyle but time to start giving up some more goals. ;)

Fair enough result I would say for the Brits, they did a good job hanging around for as long as they could but you could tell they lost their legs and just couldnt keep up with us anymore. Lyle made some outstanding saves, big kudos to him. For us, after the little sloppy start, everything really started to click so really happy with the result.

As well, anybody who coaches Latvia on the lower levels, please watch Nolan powerplay and learn from it!!!

IHF Member
    Reality strikes for Team GB, disappointed. But we battled hard and a four goal reverse to Latvia in Riga isnt a terrible result. Just couldnt get the puck to the players who would have made a difference in the offensive zone. Being honest Latvia were a different class, but they didnt frighten me. The French and Kazakhs could have a chance againt them.

Fair result for me, punished for taking too many bad penalties by a team whose PP is several levels above anything we have domestically. Ironic that our worst player was the only one that isn't British, a rare bad game from Sarich. Based on that performance, we have a chance against France and Kazakhstan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information