Thread: Ihf migration to new host, 2-18-2013

Ihf migration to new host, 2-18-2013

International Hockey Forums is delighted to announce that, at long last, we will be migrating the site to a new, UK-based hosting service on Monday, February 18, 2013.

As you know all too well, we have suffered many random episodes of downtime over the past 3 years or so. That will be ending as we move to a hosting company that can accomodate our site's technical and bandwidth needs.

We will finally be able to stop worrying about our host and can now start the business of rebuilding our audience and exposing the site to more and more people who love the greatest sport in the world, as it is played all over the world.

To accomplish our migration, the site will be brought down at 0600 GMT on Monday, February 18, 2013. We anticipate that the migration will take about one week. We will be back online after that, better than ever at the same website address!

We look forward to seeing you all after the migration to talk worldwide hockey, and share video and photos and stats.

This is fantastic news, hopefully it does not take longer then week with play-offs starting or having started already, do not want to miss too much action. :) But would much rather miss a week then have to go through anymore of this stuff we deal with now.

It would appear that our host continues to have problems with their disks. This latest one has, once again, corrupted the user table. The problem when that table gets corrupted is that no one, not even the admins, can log in to fix it. All we can do is roll back to our last good daily backup. Which, unfortunately, is what I've just had to do, losing all of our posts from today.

This is the last time I'll do this. If I have to roll back again, I'll simply bring forward next week's migration. There is no point in having discussions on the Olympic qualifiers (our only reason for not doing the migration this week) if we keep on losing the entries.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

Graham:

I saw the emails from the new host that it sent me directly, and that you copied me on. I will work on my end of it tonight after work.

My feeling is that people get upset when their posts are lost.....they spend time and effort on the posts, and to have them disappear is aggravating. I know I hate it when my posts are lost.

My opinion is that we should move up the migration - I would propose 48 hours from today (i.e., do it February 13th).

If you agree, I will post a new announcement.

Let's get this done and be rid of Midphase/VPS forever.

The sooner the better.

Just so everybody knows, if we do advance the migration, I will announce it here and on Facebook.

Definitely like "International Hockey Forums" on Facebook, as that is where news will be posted during the migration and subsequent downtime.

OK, here is the deal.

The migration will take place February 18th. We anticipate that the forums will be down for a week while everything gets set up, tested, etc.

However, the forums may go offline earlier than that. If it happens, don't be alarmed.....we would bring them offline until after the migration if our current, inept host's database causes further corruption. We don't want anyone spending the time and effort to post, only to see their hard work lost.

Thread Information