Thread: Bandy Final Highlights

IHF Member

Bandy Final Highlights

I know this isnt Ice Hockey related but I thought someone might to like to have a look at these highlights from last weekends Bandy final in Sweden. Hammarby beat Sandvikens 9-4 in front of 38 000+ spectators in the Friends Arena (the new national football stadium) in Stockholm.

http://www.tv4play.se/program/sporten?video_id=2304898

Amazing sport I had heard of it but actually never saw anything till todays highlights. Thanks for posting.
    38000 is a crazy crowd number even if its a final. Is that game more/equal popular than icehockey overthere?
    To me its a cocktal of icehockey/Rollerhockey/streethockey played on on a soccersize pitch. Wooah those goals are huge.
    Maybe I am wrong but I don't think this discipline exists in Switzerland. I would not know where they play it as imo there is no such icerink.

IHF Member
    Cool, people from England and Spain ( or Switzerland) enjoying Bandy.

I will give you some more info about the final. I was there! And it was great and something special. It was the first time the Swedish Bandyfinal was played indoor. The spectator record was crushed as we were 38.474 peopele watching it. Iīm not sure but i think itīs the biggest indoor event on ice ever. The ice used was a mobile ice from 4 hockeyrinks! The preparation started right after the Swedish ESC-final last saturday and the ice was ready for use on thursday. The finals was played saturday and sunday and this friday a new grasspit will house the soccergame Sweden-Ireland.

I will hopefully post some pictures later. There is also some photos from the ice preparation on the Swedish bandyfederation www.svenskbandy.se. You can also watch the american final here: http://www.ctv15.org/index.php/programs/local/skatetheovalarchive/172-us-championship-bandy-03-02-13.html.
    And you probably already know about the FIB webpage www.worldbandy.com

Unfortunately bandy is not more popular than icehockey in Sweden. But i would say itīs number 2 or 3 of the team wintersports in Sweden together with Handball or maybe Floorball. But Bandy is the oldest sport and the predecessor of icehockey. As the first bandyfinal in Sweden was played in 1907.

The other new big stadium constructed i Stockholm, Stockholmsarenan or as it is called now Tele2-arena who will be a 30.000 seater with remowable roof as Friends arena will have a artificial ice system under the syntetic grass. It will be ready for use in june and Hammarby wants to play their boxing day homegame there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabacman View Post
    The spectator record was crushed as we were 38.474 peopele watching it. Iīm not sure but i think itīs the biggest indoor event on ice ever.
    Wouldn't that record be the 77 183 at Veltins-Arena during the 2010 World Championships?

Bandy's a fantastic sport. Being an American, I never had a chance to play it; its only played in Rosemont, Minnesota. I had a chance to watch some games online and its a thrill. Tabacman, its awesome that you were there.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trim View Post
    Wouldn't that record be the 77 183 at Veltins-Arena during the 2010 World Championships?

Bandy's a fantastic sport. Being an American, I never had a chance to play it; its only played in Rosemont, Minnesota. I had a chance to watch some games online and its a thrill. Tabacman, its awesome that you were there.
    You may be right! But i wasnīt sure whether the roof was retracted or not. But 77.000 we cannot compete with, thatīs for sure! But the 38.474 is definately a indoor world record for bandy attendance. And probably the biggest attendance at a bandy-game ever, and itīs good so.

Yes, youré right the only place in the US where Bandy is played is St Paul, Minnesota. Where there is the only artifical bandy field in North America. But i think they try to expand it to other places, at least in Minnesota. And i think the ABA is doing very well. They qualified for the A-group next year in Irkutsk, Russia. In the games i saw this year they impressed on me, considering almost the whole team is pure amateurs. Except one player who is playing in the Swedish Elitserien for Vetlanda.

Thatīs one of the biggest problem for the bandysport. The big difference between the nations. As you have the Russian, Swedish and most Finnish and Kazakhi team to be more or less professionals, and the rest pure amateurs and newcomers. Not even able to practise on a big bandyfield for most of the time. Lacking a lot of infrastructure. But hopefully the bandyfamily can get a boost if they can get olympic status. Why not in China? They can start with rinkbandy as most countries play. But of course itīs another game.

IHF Member
    Yeah, its great that you were there. Would have loved to have been there. I went to see a Hammarby play off game against Villa Lidkoping at Zinkensdamms a few years ago and I've been interested in the sport ever since. I think Hammarby has a great fan culture so I'm always pleased to see them doing well.

If anyone is ever in Stockholm when a Hammarby game is on then I would definitely recommend going. They tend to get 3-4,000 (I think the average attendence in the league is about 1500) for regular season games at Zinkens which is an classic outdoor venue where there is a great atmosphere.

IHF Member
    Here is some links to some photos from the game http://http://iof1.idrottonline.se/SvenskaBandyforbundet/Bandynyheter/Senastenytt/BildspecialfranBandyfinalen/.

If youīre interested of how they where able to prepare the ice some pictures is here: http://http://iof1.idrottonline.se/SvenskaBandyforbundet/Bandynyheter/Senastenytt/FriendsArenaforvandlastillBandytempel/ and some more http://iof1.idrottonline.se/SvenskaB...iFriendsArena/.

Shefpie i wish you and all other bandylovers around the world will be able to watch a Swedish bandyfinal. Just book a ticket to Stockholm the 3rd sunday in march the next 4 years as the final will be played at Friends 4 more years. But thereīs is still chance to watch the Russian final. It will be held in Kirov on sunday the 24th. But it doesnīt stop there. Believe it or not but it will be shown on Swedish TV, on TV4 at 09.55 CET

Youīre right itīs usually great atmosphere at Hammarbys games. And thatīs more like the real thing, outdoor whatever weather it is. Even though this seasons performance weīre fantastic by Hammarby, iīm not too optimistic about the future. And itīs because of their training conditions without a indoor arena in Stockholm. All other top-teams in the league like Sandviken, VIlla and Edsbyn nowadays have great indoor arenas.

IHF Member
    The Russian final will be shown on TV4 SPORT on sunday 24th of march 09.55 CET, nothing else, at least in Sweden, my mistake. Check out streams iīm sure it will be shown on some russian channel as well.

IHF Member
    Will they hold the World Championships in this stadium some day?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Helix- View Post
    Will they hold the World Championships in this stadium some day?
    I donīt think so. International games except Sweden vs Russia or Finland doesnīt attract that much crowd. So playing in a 50.000 seater for just a few hundred spectators in a game between for example Norway and Kazakhstan is not a good idea. A World championship as it is played now takes one week and the cost wíll be to big.

Maybe they can play some WC-games in the future in the Tele2-arena when itīs finished, where they already have the infrastructure laid out.

If someone want to see more bandyclips from the final and other bandyrelated things look here http://www.tv4play.se/program/bandy
    Last edited by Tabacman; 25-03-2013 at 12:53.

Actually was curious to know more about Bandi and googled around.To my surprise Goalkeeper has
    no stick, didn't notice on the highlights. Some rules are like football.
    Sweden,Russia,Finland and Norway are utterly dominating. I saw there were quiet a lot of
    federations. Kazak,Afgan,India...

According to Bandi Fed. website there is a bandy federation in Switzerland since 2006.
    I saw on wikipedia that the game was played in Davos and St.Moritz end of 19th century. But
    there is almost no infos except that Swiss organised European Bandi Championship in 1913 and
    that was the peak of it, like disappeared after.

Maybe somebody knows more about. I am curious because imo Bandi is a precursor to hockey at least in Europe.
    I can imagine long winters with frozen pounds and lakes were entire villages played each other probably from the middle age already.

Thread Information