Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2013 IIHF World Championship - Ottawa, Canada; 2nd-9th.Apr

I am loving this Russian team, another very good win and they keep rolling. Lets see what facing Yashin shots does against Canada. :) Honestly, I just hope they put up a good fight.

On the other hand, I am disappointed in this Swiss team, they cant build off the success they had last year. Should beat the Germans for 5th.

Quarter-final #2

Switzerland - Russia 1:2 (0:1, 1:0, 0:1)
    0:1 - 12.48 Tatyana Burina (Skiba)
    1:1 - 36.57 Sara Benz (Stanz, Raselli) PP1
    1:2 - 48.38 Yekaterina Smolentseva
    PIM: 5x2 - 7x2 SOG: 19-30 Att: 5839
    Goalkeepers: Florence Schelling 28/30 - Nadezhda Alexandrova 18/19
    Ref: Nicole Hertrich (GER) Linesmen: Stephanie Gagnon (CAN), Ilona Novotna (CZE)
    SUI: Schelling Florence; Marty Julia +C, Williner Karin, Marty Stefanie, Lutz Jessica, Stiefel Anja, Altmann Livia, Zollinger Sabrina, Benz Sara, Raselli Evelina, Waidacher Isabel, Bullo Nicole +A, Forster Sarah, Thalmann Sandra, Nabholz Katrin +A, Stanz Phoebe, Vaucher Meryl, Schranz Andrea, Eggimann Romy, Waidacher Monika, Dale Mariko
    RUS: Alexandrova Nadezhda; Dyubanok Inna, Tkachyova Svetlana, Burina Tatyana +A, Lebedeva Yekaterina, Skiba Galina, Kapustina Alexandra +A, Shibanova Anna, Gavrilova Iya, Smolentseva Yekaterina +C, Sosina Olga, Goncharenko Angelina, Shukina Anna, Pavlova Valeria, Pashkevich Yekaterina, Smolina Yekaterina, Ananina Yekaterina, Solovyova Yekaterina, Vafina Alexandra, Belyakova Lyudmili, Dergachyova Yelena

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkovs View Post
    I am loving this Russian team, another very good win and they keep rolling. Lets see what facing Yashin shots does against Canada. :) Honestly, I just hope they put up a good fight.

On the other hand, I am disappointed in this Swiss team, they cant build off the success they had last year. Should beat the Germans for 5th.
    I saw the Swiss play twice live, against Finland and Saturday against the Russians.
    I thought the score flattered them against the Finns as they were completely outplayed the final 40 minutes.
    Against Russia, though, I thought they had a legitimate chance as the Russians were not that dominant.
    It's too bad they won't be playing for a medal this year but they were competitive against what
    I think are the two best European teams here, Russia and Finland.
    The REAL disappointment is Sweden.
    Seven years ago, the Swedes shocked the hockey world by winning silver at the Turin Olympics,
    the only European country to interrupt the Canada-USA monopoly on gold and silver.
    That was sandwiched between Sweden's only two bronze medals in 2005 and 2007.
    The Swedes also have six 4th place finishes at the worlds, the last in 2009.
    However this year has been a catastrophe, as the Swedes find themselves in a struggle
    just to avoid relegation against the upstart Czech team, which I believe is making their WWHC debut
    Granted, they lost the backbone of the team, Kim Martin, before the tournament and the roster has
    turned over greatly with much of it comprised of players under 22 years of age.
    But it seems that Swedish women's hockey is regressing, which, after nearly a quarter century of
    international competition for women, is really discouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by Heatleysucks View Post
    Granted, they lost the backbone of the team, Kim Martin, before the tournament and the roster has
    turned over greatly with much of it comprised of players under 22 years of age.
    But it seems that Swedish women's hockey is regressing, which, after nearly a quarter century of
    international competition for women, is really discouraging.
    Or is it encouraging that the long-time Scandinavian stranglehold on bronze is ending? It is disappointing to see the Swedes struggle like this. Eleven years ago, the Swedish federation was going to end funding for the women's program due to lack of results so maybe they need to pick things up soon; not least of all because they host the WW in 2015!

On the same side, it could be a worry that Russia is only doing well in the lead up to their home Olympics and that their progress will falter after 2014. The best of their roster aren't really spring chickens; Pashkevich is 40, Burina 33, Petrovskaya is almost 33, and Smolentseva is closing in on 32. The next tier of players aren't too young either given the typically short careers in women's hockey. Alexandrova, Kapustina, Gavrilova, and Vafina are all over 22.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

5th place match

Switzerland - Germany 3:5 (1:1, 0:3, 2:1)
    1:0 - 09.20 Julia Marty PS
    1:1 - 09.57 Marie Belarbre (Seiler, Spielberger)
    1:2 - 24.05 Franziska Busch (Anwander)
    1:3 - 25.37 Franziska Busch(2) (Gotz, Fellner) PP1
    1:4 - 39.11 Lisa Schuster (Kamenik, Gleissner)
    2:4 - 50.28 Jessica Lutz (Bullo, S.Marty)
    2:5 - 58.55 Manuela Anwander EN
    3:5 - 59.49 Jessica Lutz(2) (Nabholz, Waidacher)
    Goalkeepers: 4x2 - 2x2 SOG: 30-25 Att: 4008
    Ref: Marie Picavet (FRA) Linesmen: Therese Bjorkman (SWE), Johanna Tauriainen (FIN)
    SUI: Schelling Florence; Altmann Livia, Zollinger Sabrina, Benz Sara, Raselli Evelina, Stanz Phoebe, Marty Julia +C, Bullo Nicole +A, Williner Karin, Marty Stefanie, Lutz Jessica, Forster Sarah, Thalmann Sandra, Nabholz Katrin +A, Waidacher Isabel, Stiefel Anja, Vaucher Meryl, Schranz Andrea, Eggimann Romy, Waidacher Monika, Dale Mariko
    GER: Harrer Viona; Fellner Susanne, Gleissner Daria, Kamenik Nina, Gotz Susann +C, Schuster Lisa, Richter Ronja, Anwander Manuela, Evers Bettina, Zorn Julia, Busch Franziska +A, Eisenschmid Tanja, Spielberger Kerstin, Lanzl Andrea, Seiler Sara, Delarbre Marie, Hammerl Jessica, Weisser Anja, Kratzer Sophie, Becker Maritta, Bittner Monika +A

Congrats to Sweden, they sweep the relegation series with the Czechs sending the Czechs back to Division IA. Despite finishing with a record of 1-4, the Czechs never look terrible and they played well, just missing that extra something to help keep them afloat. They should be able to keep improving just is how long it will take them to get out of Division IA since the top half of that Group is full of countries who are coming along nicely.

As for Sweden, I really hope this is just a one off event because they really shouldnt be competing in relegation especially considering where they have been in the past. Reading around (not sure how much truth there is) but this might start becoming the norm for them and one year will end up getting relegated due to more and more women choosing football or handball.

Relegation Round; Game 2

Sweden - Czech Republic 4:0 (0:0, 2:0, 2:0)
    1:0 - 21.45 Linnea Backman (Hedengren, Carlsson)
    2:0 - 29.56 Lina Wester (Borgqvist)
    3:0 - 48.34 Johanna Olofsson (Borgqvist)
    4:0 - 59.35 Elin Holmlov (Winberg) PP1
    PIM: 5x2 - 6x2 SOG: 21-19 Att: 604
    Goalkeepers: Sara Grahn 19/19 - Radka Lhotska 17/21
    Ref: Melanie Bordeleau (CAN) Linesmen: Kate Connolly (USA), Laura Johnson (USA)
    SWE: Grahn Sara; Hedin Linnea, Backman Linnea, Wester Lina, Johansson Lisa, Borgqvist Anna, Fallman Johanna, Olofsson Johanna +A, Asserholt Jenni, Winberg Pernilla, Lowenhielm Michelle, Nevalainen Frida, Andersson Emilia, Eliasson Emma, Grahm Erika +C, Blom Gizela, Backlin Lina, Holmlov Elin +A, Ostberg Cecilia, Hedengren Lisa, Carlsson Olivia
    CZE: Lhotska Radka; Tejralova Aneta, Polenska Alena +C, Krizova Denisa, Povova Lucie, Mrazova Katerina, Herzigova Petra +A, Horalkova Pavlina, Chmelova Klara, Manhartova Lucie, Pribylova Vendule, Flachsova Katerina +A, Laskova Dominika, Studentova Simona, Holesova Eva, Kaplanova Katka, Kolowratova Samantha, Fialova Jana, Ledlova Aneta, Vanisova Tereza, Vopravilova Dominika

*Sweden wins series 2-0

Semi-final #1

United States - Finland 3:0 (0:0, 0:0, 3:0)
    1:0 - 53.55 Hilary Knight (Marvin, Kessel)
    2:0 - 55.32 Monique Lamoureux (Carpenter, J.Lamoureux) PP1
    3:0 - 59.43 Brianna Decker (Duggan) EN
    PIM: 6x2 - 9x2 SOG: 43-11 Att: 4035
    Goalkeepers: Jessie Vetter 11/11 - Noora Raty 41/43
    Ref: Joy Tottman (GBR) Linesmen: Stephanie Gagnon (CAN), Michaela Kudelova (SVK)
    USA: Vetter Jessie; Marvin Gigi, Bellamy Kacey +A, Decker Brianna, Coyne Kendall, Kessel Amanda, Chesson Lisa, Picard Michelle, Lamoureux Monique, Lamoureux Jocelyne, Carpenter Alex, Bozek Megan, Schlepr Anne, Duggan Meghan +A, Fry Lyndsey, Knight Hilary, Stecklein Lee, Chu Julie +C, Schoullis Jen, Erickson Sarah
    FIN: Raty Noora; Lindstedt Rosa, Hiirikoski Jenni +C, Voutilainen Marjo, Tapani Susanna, Rantamaki Karoliina, Kilponen Anna, Jalosuo Mira, Rajahuhta Annina, Valimaki Linda, Karvinen Michelle, Terho Emma +A, Villila Tea, Tarkki Saija +A, Hovi Venla, Tikkinen Nina, Tarvainen Vilma, Makinen Niina, Tuominen Minnamari, Saarimaki Tiina, Tuomanen Anne

IHF Member
    Canada 8 Russia 1
    Oddly, Canada led only 1-0 after one period, despite being all over
    the Russians, out shooting them 20-4.
    The second period was a lot more even territorially, with Canada holding
    only a 17-12 SOG advantage, but the Russian goaltender, so steady and
    confident in the first period, was shaky at times letting in a few softies
    and Canada buried Russia 5-1 in the period.
    The third period was pretty quiet, as Canada didn't seem especially interested
    in running up the score and the Russians were looking a little tired trying
    to maintain pace with the Canadians.

Semi-final #2

Canada - Russia 8:1 (1:0, 5:1, 2:0)
    1:0 - 19.13 Haley Irwin (Mikkelson, Szabados)
    2:0 - 22.03 Natalie Spooner (Apps, Vaillancourt)
    3:0 - 22.55 Marie-Philip Poulin (Jenner)
    4:0 - 24.29 Jennifer Wakfield (Ward, Fortino)
    4:1 - 30.56 Svetlana Tkachyova (Burina, Lebedeva)
    5:1 - 32.18 Jayna Hefford (Poulin) SH1
    6:1 - 35.56 Marie-Philip PPoulin(2) (Hefford, Bonhomme)
    7:1 - 42.16 Meghan Agosta-Marciano (Wakfield)
    8:1 - 42.40 Rebecca Johnston (Ward, Mikkelson)
    PIM: 5x2 - 3x2 SOG: 49-18 Att: 7255
    Goalkeepers: Shannon Szabados 17/18 - Anna Prugova 31/37 (Yulia Leskina 10/12)
    Ref: Aina Hove (NOR) Linesmen: Ilona Novotna (CZE), Zuzana Svobodova-Arazimova (CZE)
    CAN: Szabados Shannon; Rougeau Lauriane, Mikkelson Meghan, Hefford Jayna +A, Jenner Brianne, Poulin Marie-Philip, Fortino Laura, Ward Catherine, Agosta-Marciano Meghan, Irwin Haley, Vaillancourt Sarah, Birchard Courtney, Bonhomme Tessa, Johnston Rebecca, Wakefield Jennifer, Spooner Natalie, Larocque Jocelyne, Apps Gillian, Ouellette Caroline +A, Bram Bailey, Wickenheiser Hayley +C
    RUS: Prugova Anna (20.00 Leskina Yulia); Dyubanok Inna, Tkachyova Svetlana, Burina Tatyana +A, Lebedeva Yekaterina, Skibia Galina, Kapustina Alexandra +A, Shibanova Anna, Gavrilova Iya, Smolentseva Yekaterina +C, Sosina Olga, Goncharenko Angelina, Shukina Anna, Pavlova Valeria, Pashkevich Yekaterina, Smolina Yekaterina, Ananina Yekaterina, Solovyova Yekaterina, Vafina Alexandra, Belyakova Lyudmila, Dergachyova Yelena

Funny that Germany's Best Three Players awards were scooped up by a forward, Franziska Busch, and both goaltenders, Viona Harrer and Jennifer Harss. I would wager that's not happened before.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Happy to see Russia leave this tournament with a medal, watched all their matches and they were fun to watch, good to see their hard work earned them a medal. Not that Finland didnt deserve one, just wasnt cheering for them.

Very excited for tonight though, should be amazing. See if the Americans can get revenge for last year.

Bronze medal match

Russia - Finland 2:0 (0:0, 0:0, 2:0)
    1:0 - 44.11 Anna Shibanova (Lebedeva, Kapustina) PP1
    2:0 - 59.44 Alexandra Vafina EN
    PIM: 6x2 - 4x2 SOG: 17-32 Att: 5618
    Goalkeepers: Nadezhda Alexandrova 32/32 - Noora Raty 15/16
    Ref: Joy Tottman (GBR) Linesmen: Denise Caughey (CAN), Laura Johnson (USA)
    RUS: Alexandrova Nadezhda; Dyubanok Inna, Tkachyova Svetlana, Burina Tatyana +A, Lebedeva Yekaterina, Skiba Galina, Kapustina Alexandra +A, Shibanova Anna, Gavrilova Iya, Smolentseva Yekaterina +C, Sosina Olga, Goncharenko Angelina, Shukina Anna, Pavlova Valeria, Pashkevich Yekaterina, Smolina Yekaterina, Ananina Yekaterina, Solovyova Yekaterina, Vafina Alexandra, Belyakova Lyudmila, Dergachyova Yelena
    FIN: Raty Noora; Lindstedt Rosa, Hiirikoski Jenni +C, Voutilainen Marjo, Tapani Susanna, Rantamaki Karoliina, Kilponen Anna, Jalosuo Mira, Rajahuhta Annina, Valimaki Linda, Karvinen Michelle, Tarvainen Vilma, Makinen Niina, Tuominen Minnamari, Saarimaki Tiina, Tuomanen Anne, Terho Emma +A, Villila Tea, Tarkki Saija +A, Hovi Venla, Tikkinen Nina

Congrats to the Americans on the gold medal, they reverse the story from last year and hand Canada their first even Silver medal on home ice.

Was another great match between these two, the speed of the Americans tonight, wow and that goal from Kessel. Canada needed to be more disciplined, the penalties really killed them. I know people want to jump on Wickenheiser and I know so wasnt that impressive when she played but I will give her a break due to injuries. That ending was crazy though, really thought Canada was going to end up tying this match. Overall, this was a great year

Gold medal match

Canada - United States 2:3 (1:0, 1:2, 0:1)
    1:0 - 09.50 Courtney Birchard (Ouellette, Poulin)
    1:1 - 22.43 Brianna Decker (Coyne)
    1:2 - 34.26 Megan Bozek (Schleper, Coyne) PP2
    2:2 - 37.50 Caroline Ouellette (Ward, Poulin)
    2:3 - 43.09 Amanda Kessel (Marvin, Vetter)
    PIM: 6x2 - 3x2 SOG: 16-30 Att: 13,776
    Goalkeepers: Shannon Szabados 27/30 - Jessie Vetter 14/16
    Ref: Nicole Hertrich (GER) Linesmen: Ilona Novotna (CZE), Zuzana Svobodova-Arazimova (CZE)
    CAN: Szabados Shannon; Fortino Laura, Ward Catherine, Bram Bailey, Wickenheiser Hayley +C, Spooner Natalie, Rougeu Lauriane, Bonhomme Tessa, Agosta-Marciano Meghan, Irwin Haley, Vaillancourt Sarah, Larocque Jocelyne, Mikkelson Meaghan, Johnston Rebecca, Wakefield Jennifer, Jenner Brianne, Birchard Courtney, Apps Gillian, Ouellette Caroline +A, Hefford Jayna +A, Poulin Marie-Philip
    USA: Vetter Jessie; Marvin Gigi, Bellamy Kacey +A, Decker Brianna, Coyne Kendall, Kessel Amanda, Bozek Megan, Picard Michelle, Lamoureux Monique, Lamoureux Jocelyne, Carpenter Alex, Chesson Lisa, Schleper Anne, Duggan Meghan +A, Fry Lyndsey, Knight Hilary, Chu Julie +C, Erickson Sarah, Steadman Kelley

IHF Member
    Wickenheiser probably should not have even played, but I was disappointed
    with her younger team mates.
    The Americans really took the play to Canada and the 16 SOG that Canada
    could only muster was telling.
    I didn't think Canada played with enough desperation and only in the last
    few minutes of the game did they take the play to the Americans.
    That's five out of the last seven for the States...the tide certainly seems to be turning.
    Last edited by Heatleysucks; 10-04-2013 at 06:07.

Table and rankings

Relegation Series
    GM1: Czech Republic v. Sweden 1:2/SO
    GM2: Sweden v. Czech Republic 4:0
    GM3: Not Played
    *Sweden wins 2-0

RK Country
    1 United States
    2 Canada
    3 Russia
    4 Finland
    5 Germany
    6 Switzerland
    7 Sweden
    8 Czech Republic
    *Czech Republic is relegated to Division I Group A

Stats and Awards

PlayerGPGAPTS
    1Marie-Philip Poulin56612
    T2Brianna Decker5628
    -Jennifer Wakefield5448
    -Amanda Kessel5268
    T5Sarah Vaillancourt5257
    -Catherine Ward5167
    T7Meghan Agosta-Marciano5426
    -Brianne Jenner5426
    -Jayna Hefford5246
    -Haley Irwin5246

PlayerGPGAASV%SO
    1Nadezhda Alexandrova40,2998,62
    2Sara Grahn40,8595,51
    3Jennifer Harss21,9994,70
    4Shannon Szabados41,4893,51
    5Florence Schelling43,2891,80

Best players selected by Directorate
    GK: Nadezhda Alexandrova (RUS)
    DF: Jenni Hiirikoski (FIN)
    FW: Marie-Philip Poulin (CAN)

Media All-stars
    GK: Noora Raty (FIN)
    DF: Meaghan Mikkelson (CAN)
    DF: Catherine Ward (CAN)
    FW: Brianna Decker (USA)
    FW: Marie-Philip Poulin (CAN)
    FW: Jennifer Wakefield (CAN)
    MVP: Marie-Phili Poulin (CAN)

Banned
    Starkovs, check your inbox. I have sent you a private link regarding the photos... so you can pick which ones I will show here.

Record crowd for the Final, an average audience of 795,000 and overall, 3,6 million people watched some part of the match.

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/story/?id=420420

I wonder if these stats include the people on fasthockey or just from the television. Either way, a bunch of people watched a great match.

Once again woppa, thanks very much for not only taking the photos but sharing them with me. Its very much appreciated. :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information