Thread: Bandy/Russian Hockey final highlights

IHF Member

Bandy/Russian Hockey final highlights

Here are some highlights from the Russian bandyfinal in Kirov yesterday.

Matchdetails - Russian championship, final

Zorkij - Dynamo Moskva 2-3 (1-2)
    Scorers: 0-1 (7) Mikhail Sveshnikov, 0-2 (14) Mikhail Sveshnikov, 1-2 (26) Alex Dorovskikh, 1-3 (51) Jevgenij Ivanushkin, 2-3 (68) Maxim Ishkeldin
    Penalties: Zorkij: 4x10, Dynamo Moskva 5x10
    Referee: Andrej Filippov, Novosibirsk
    Attendance: 7 000 (The match was played at Rodina Stadion in Kirov)
    Temperature: -10

IHF Member
    Awesome. Thanks for posting this.

How does the Russian league compare to the Swedish league in terms of quality/money/attendences etc? Is it similar or is one league stronger than the other?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shefpie View Post
    How does the Russian league compare to the Swedish league in terms of quality/money/attendences etc? Is it similar or is one league stronger than the other?
    The Russian top teams is usually considered little bit better than the Swedish, especially Dynamo Moscow. But i donīt think the difference is that big.

When it comes to money, the top players earn much more in Russia. They are fully professional there while in Sweden they are only semi-professional. I heard figures for the Swedish players playing in Russia getting more than E100.000 for a season. Thatīs why for example both Dynamo and Zorkij had each 3 Swedish players in their final line-up. And Dynamo also have a Swedish coach. I think some 10 Swedish players played in Russia last season. Some Finnish players also played there.

The attendance is also bigger in Russia. I donīt have any figures though. In Sweden this season the highest attendance was little more than 5.000 in some games in the play-offs, with the average the whole season in the Elitserien somewhere between 1.500 to 2.000. Villa and Hammarby had the highest attendance of the clubs. I think Villa had around 3.500 to 4.000. With a record of over 5.000 in the semifinal against Sandviken in their nice arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabacman View Post
    The Russian top teams is usually considered little bit better than the Swedish, especially Dynamo Moscow. But i donīt think the difference is that big.

When it comes to money, the top players earn much more in Russia. They are fully professional there while in Sweden they are only semi-professional. I heard figures for the Swedish players playing in Russia getting more than E100.000 for a season. Thatīs why for example both Dynamo and Zorkij had each 3 Swedish players in their final line-up. And Dynamo also have a Swedish coach. I think some 10 Swedish players played in Russia last season. Some Finnish players also played there.

The attendance is also bigger in Russia. I donīt have any figures though. In Sweden this season the highest attendance was little more than 5.000 in some games in the play-offs, with the average the whole season in the Elitserien somewhere between 1.500 to 2.000. Villa and Hammarby had the highest attendance of the clubs. I think Villa had around 3.500 to 4.000. With a record of over 5.000 in the semifinal against Sandviken in their nice arena.
    I've seen Sandviken play on TV! I love their name and the attendance was good. Is it really only Semi-pro in Sweden? You could run a pro team on 5,000 fans per game! Either way it's interesting I find. Is there no leagues anywhere else? Switzerland/Kazakhstan?
    Dinamo Riga, Manchester Storm

IHF Member
    I don't think Switzerland has any bandy rinks (pitches?), but I might be incorrect.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
    I've seen Sandviken play on TV! I love their name and the attendance was good. Is it really only Semi-pro in Sweden? You could run a pro team on 5,000 fans per game! Either way it's interesting I find. Is there no leagues anywhere else? Switzerland/Kazakhstan?
    There is leagues in Finland, Norway and USA and i think there is a league going to start in Kazakhstan. Although all this leagues are amateur leagues. The most professional (and only) is in Russia and Sweden.

You must take into consideration that this sport is played mostly outdoors and that the season is quite short in most places. In Sweden the normal season is from late october to late february just 4 months long. And running a pro-team under these conditions with an average of 1500 spectatators is impossible without heavy financial support. Itīs just recently, the last 10 years indoor arenas is constructed in Sweden, which enabled the possibility to extend the season.

Thread Information