Thread: New coaches named

New coaches named

Could anyone tell me how these appointments affect their respective teams.

http://www.iihf.com/news/iihfpr7305.htm

IHF Member

Walt Kyle

I can offer a little bit of personal insight and thoughts into the choice of Kyle for the US., but maybe not what you are looking for.

He is highly regarded in the college coaching community despite the fact that he was with pro organizations for a number of years in is still young career. He is no stranger to IIHF events either, having served on the coaching staff at two WJCs and two WC events for the US.

I wonder how he will balance his intellectual time leading up to the WJCs. His college team will just have begun in ernest its league schedule and he will either have to miss a few games with them or leave Team USA in a hurry at the end of the event to get back in time. I wonder if that will affect the way he coaches Team USA? Not to infer that he'd give any less than his all - but it is hard to balance things sometimes, we all know that.

As a college coach he is knowing as a great recuiter and evaluator of talent, and for recruiting kids from Western Canada - too bad for him he can't do that for this team! :002: He was named the head coach at Northern Michigan University in 2002 and has brought a defensive style to a team that had formerly subscribed to the "offense is the best defense" theory.

However, as a college coach he can recruit a certain type of team and mold them into the style he wants. For the WJC, he still gets to pick the team but he will likely have to coach to the strengths of the group rather than meld them into what he wants due to the fact that he has less time and the fact that there is not as much choice regarding who will make the team. The best players, with a few exceptions, are the best players and they will represent the country for that reason... So, that is why I say that my comments may not be what you were looking for as it all may be irrelevant.

Bearly, you did a masterful job. That is exactly the answer I was looking for :023: . Do you feel, with his background you described, he can coach, with any success, a diverse a team as he is likely to field for the U20's?

IHF Member

I have my doubts. I do think highly of Coach Kyle and hope I am wrong but I don't see his strengths as a coach fitting the needs of an event like this with a diverse team, as you put it. He has had some success before, but with the rescent success of the US at this event and others, I think expectations are higher than they were ten years ago!

I do think Assistant Coach John Hynes is an improvement over David Quinn, however. And I do think it helped that USA Hockey named Kyle coach early on, giving him some time to prepare himself and address whatever he sees as his weaknesses.

I wonder if the 87s who just won gold will carry the load for the US at the WJC.

What are your thoughts? Do you agree with some of what I have read that the US and Finland are likely to be stronger than Canada this year (just based on sheer talent and looking at potential rosters)?

I can't speak for the Finns, so hopefully they will be able to answer our questions regarding their youngsters.

I think that the retaining of Brent Sutter as coach is a step in the right direction. He will be able to bring players into the fold who will buy into his coaching scheme that brought them success last year. He had a great deal of input into the selection of the team, will Kyle have the same freedom?

I agree with you that the U-18 of the US is stronger but I think some of the returning players, and some who didn't make the cut (Brule is one), should put Canada slightly ahead of the Americans.

You mention, however, that expectations are higher than ever before. Do you feel the NHL situation, coupled with the tournament overseas, will take the pressure of the Americans?

IHF Member
    You make a good point about the tournament being overseas and the NHL issues. Plus the looming Olympics. I just get the impression that so few people inside the US care about the tournament that those factors won't help. I have to wonder if those whose interest or expectations may be affected by the other factors even have expectations for the US at the WJC in the first place. Any true fans of the international game will still know that the event is happening, and will expect a good finish. Plus there is so much internal debate here about the usefulness of the NTDP program and it seems that poor results just magnify the negative feelings.

I can't say I have a feel for how much autonomy Kyle will have in picking the team. You'd have to think that since he's been in that role before, the powers that be will trust his choices, but who knows!

And yet I don't understand the criticism of the NTDP. Herb Brooks (who I idolized) was dead set against it. I think that the program has really helped USA Hockey identify good young talent. Certainly since it's beginning our international results at the junior level have improved dramatically. I guess I can't figure out where the problem lies for some people.

I'm sure (as with any organization) there probably needs to be some administrative tweaking, but again (with the early returns at least) the program seems to be having the desired effect.

I personally hope it's going nowhere. Just my .02 worth.

Mats Naslund

Mats Naslund recently named the GM of Tre Kronor. I always liked him as a player. Good luck, Mats!
    :drinker-g
    Nothing to declare.

Thread Information