Thread: EB Young Star & EB Junior League 2013/2014

IHF Staff

EB Young Star & EB Junior League 2013/2014

EBYSL has been confirmed for next year involving again 14 teams. LA Stars II have withdrawn same goes for HD Mladi Jesenice who will move to the INL. These two teams will be replaced by two Hungarian sides, MAC Budapest and UTE Budapest. Contrary to what was communicated previously EC Dornbirn apparently won't have an EBYSL team this year as well. The format will remain the same as last season just after the first round robin there will be this infamous points division (by 2) EBEL used to have up until some years ago.

The new EB Junior league (U18) is also set to start with no less than 19 teams next September (6 squads from Slovenia, 7 from Austria, 5 from Hungary and 1 from Czech Republic). As in EBYSL teams will be split in two groups, instead of the usual play-offs there will be four final tournaments (2 in AUT, 1 in SLO and HUN each).

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    EBYSL has been confirmed for next year involving again 14 teams. LA Stars II have withdrawn same goes for HD Mladi Jesenice who will move to the INL. These two teams will be replaced by two Hungarian sides, MAC Budapest and UTE Budapest. Contrary to what was communicated previously EC Dornbirn apparently won't have an EBYSL team this year as well. The format will remain the same as last season just after the first round robin there will be this infamous points division (by 2) EBEL used to have up until some years ago.

The new EB Junior league (U18) is also set to start with no less than 19 teams next September (6 squads from Slovenia, 7 from Austria, 5 from Hungary and 1 from Czech Republic). As in EBYSL teams will be split in two groups, instead of the usual play-offs there will be four final tournaments (2 in AUT, 1 in SLO and HUN each).
    Well, Rex... partnership or dictatorship...

It seems that although the EBEL u18 was announced to be quite open, somebody (I dunno who) refused 3 out of the 5 teams from Hungary. So I really hope that the Hungarian Federation will not allow the other two (the two best teams of the past season) to go, since it will deteriorate the Hungarian U18 championships while somebody just picks up the best of the offer for the sake of one-sided benefits.

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by kerusz View Post
    Well, Rex... partnership or dictatorship...

It seems that although the EBEL u18 was announced to be quite open, somebody (I dunno who) refused 3 out of the 5 teams from Hungary. So I really hope that the Hungarian Federation will not allow the other two (the two best teams of the past season) to go, since it will deteriorate the Hungarian U18 championships while somebody just picks up the best of the offer for the sake of one-sided benefits.
    One sided? The 2 Hungarian teams are obviously willing to join as otherwise they would not do it. The league is obviously ok with these two as well. That makes benefits on 2 sides...

IHF Member
    One sided? The 2 Hungarian teams are obviously willing to join as otherwise they would not do it. The league is obviously ok with these two as well. That makes benefits on 2 sides...
    typical austrian view.

why on earth cant be more than two hungarian teams? they cant be worst than those poor jokers from LA stars.
    afraid it would end like u20, foregn finals? too expensive to travel to hungary?

views like this were one of the reason's why medvescak left this joint. for good, i hope. all decisions are opened, its all partnership when decisions are going in austrian favor. when somebody else would like to benefit from a joint league...ugh...nein, no way. never.

thank god no more DOPS's, sofron's and all other crap in most onesided 'mutual' league on planet.

IHF Member
    Given the fact that few Slovenian teams are capable of fielding full three lines of players born in 1996 and 1997 I wonder how was it possible for ÖEHV to accept all Slovenian teams into the EBJL thus effectivelly swallowing the Slovenian U18 championship into the Austrian one.

On the other hand, knowing how Russians are all for "cooperation" and "mutual understanding" that they amply proved to their closer and further neighbours from Finland to Japan throughout the written history, I'd be more reserved about the "equality" between Russians and everybody else in KHL.

EBEL is good league and more appropriate to the level of hockey and the sports culture in Croatia than KHL.

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jokke_wiberg View Post
    typical austrian view..
    Not at all. Typical RexKramer view. Where was your statement on me when argued that OEHV should have let Innsbruck play in Italy (or Hohenemns in Switzerland)?

why on earth cant be more than two hungarian teams? they cant be worst than those poor jokers from LA stars.
    afraid it would end like u20, foregn finals? too expensive to travel to hungary?
    I don't know why these teams are apparently not admitted to the league. I just say it must be the league's right to choose and that the "all or nothing" point of view doesn't make sense.
    Apart from that I don't have the least bit of a problem with whoever wins the final...foreign, Austrian. I don't care. Do you? And if you care to notice I was highly critical of the LA Stars II right from the start.

views like this were one of the reason's why medvescak left this joint. for good, i hope. all decisions are opened, its all partnership when decisions are going in austrian favor. when somebody else would like to benefit from a joint league...ugh...nein, no way. never.

thank god no more DOPS's, sofron's and all other crap in most onesided 'mutual' league on planet.
    Utterly nonsense, sorry.

IHF Member
    I'm just wondering why no one in Croatian federation bothered to mount a U18 team.

Incompetent people in charge of sport's development.

IHF Member
    Federation has no interest in getting the clubs under control nor to look for money to finance the participation in the international competitions. Clubs, on the other hand, can't reach an agreement how to divide the costs.

Can you tell me something about F Mario Huber, born 1996, playing for Innsbruck? According to KHL scouts he is no.9 among euro skaters who were born in 1996. http://www.khl.ru/upload/draft/draft_2013_european.pdf
    http://webhokej24.sk/index.php twitter: @vorkywh24

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by vorky View Post
    Can you tell me something about F Mario Huber, born 1996, playing for Innsbruck? According to KHL scouts he is no.9 among euro skaters who were born in 1996. http://www.khl.ru/upload/draft/draft_2013_european.pdf
    Literally a big talent this boy. He's more than 190cm but not of lean build (think he weighs already close to 100kg) and at the YOG last year he was the only AUT player that could keep up with the elite nations. His skating apparently needs to be worked on but he has a very strong shot. I expect him to make his EBEL debut next season, then we will see what he's up to.

Literally a big talent this boy. He's more than 190cm but not of lean build (think he weighs already close to 100kg) and at the YOG last year he was the only AUT player that could keep up with the elite nations. His skating apparently needs to be worked on but he has a very strong shot. I expect him to make his EBEL debut next season, then we will see what he's up to.
    thx, there is another player from Austria in KHL scouting rankings, F Stefan Gaffal from Linz as 18th among euro guys.

IHF Staff
    thx, there is another player from Austria in KHL scouting rankings, F Stefan Gaffal from Linz as 18th among euro guys.
    Gaffal is a different case, better skills than Huber (who has an attitude problem as I have been told) but is more a skinny guy who might not develop the body necessary to take him where his skills could. I just see that Erik Kirchschläger (a teammate of Gaffal) is on the list too...interesting.

Gaffal is a different case, better skills than Huber (who has an attitude problem as I have been told) but is more a skinny guy who might not develop the body necessary to take him where his skills could. I just see that Erik Kirchschläger (a teammate of Gaffal) is on the list too...interesting.
    Yep, it is interesting that KHL scouted austrian clubs, not offense to Austria but I have an opinion that Austria and Slovakia are not best locations for young euro players, Finland/Sweden/MHL and maybe Czech pr are much better. Still, interesting. Also some guy from FRA league is on the list. Who knows how many scouts KHL central scouting has and how serious they take Austria, Slovakia, France.

IHF Staff
    Agree, there must be tons of other players around Europe that could/should end up on this list. But although I am everything else than a KHL expert it seems to me that the entry draft for non-russian resp. non-KHL core market players is nowehere near an important tool to assign players to the clubs. I could imagine that very few of the drafted players are actually going to end up in the KHL. So maybe they just don't care and throw random names on the list.

Agree, there must be tons of other players around Europe that could/should end up on this list. But although I am everything else than a KHL expert it seems to me that the entry draft for non-russian resp. non-KHL core market players is nowehere near an important tool to assign players to the clubs. I could imagine that very few of the drafted players are actually going to end up in the KHL. So maybe they just don't care and throw random names on the list.
    KHL does not have as good scouting as NHL, but they do scout the leagues in Europe and NA. Majority of work is done in Russia, but Europe is also on radar. Just compare KHL and NHL pre-draft rankings, are similar

Medvescak will play U18 instead of U20. Good choice...

Quote Originally Posted by Dex View Post
    and where will U20 play? Accordig to my info, Medvescak will play EBYSL

Btw, website of Energie K.Vary, czech MHL team, wrote that Red Bull Salzburg will play MHL next season... any source? According to my info from February, they did not consider joining this summer .. something changed?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dex View Post
    It's a shortsided choice. One doesn't choose whether to play in the competition or not depending upon one particular generation of players. Where would current U18 generation play in two years if there's no continuity of participation? Or perhaps one man will decide in 2015 that he prefers playing in U20 rather than U18 because players born in 1996. are better than those from 1998.

But, who cares. Zagreb has KHL. There will always be more Canadians on the market and people don't care about Croatian hockey anyway.

Btw, website of Energie K.Vary, czech MHL team, wrote that Red Bull Salzburg will play MHL next season... any source? According to my info from February, they did not consider joining this summer .. something changed?
    yep, true, Red Bull may join http://webhokej24.sk/rusko/mhl-komen...lsieho-rocniku

IHF Member
    What is the system of the competition in EBJL (U18)? I see one large group with twelve Austrian, Hungarian, Czech and Croatian teams and the other, smaller, with six Slovenian teams. The larger group has teams playing each other three times while Slovenians play each other for five times. What happens next? How many teams from each group advance to playoff and how is this playoff going to look like?

IHF Staff
    There are no play-offs planned for EBJL so far. Instead there will be some tournaments (think it is four 4-team tourneys in AUT, HUN and SLO respectively) to conclude the season.

EDIT: see post #1

IHF Member
    Thanks. So, how would Austria get its U18 champion?

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    Thanks. So, how would Austria get its U18 champion?
    I guess the best placed AUT team from EBJL including the final tournaments will be declared U18 champion (analogous to EBYSL last season). If there is no unique team for which this is true I suppose there will be either barrage game(s) or some other tie breaking procedure (head to head from EBJL probably) to decide.

But the Austrian championship shouldn't really be an issue, imho the performance in the league should be taken as a yardstick of success.

IHF Member
    I am at odds with the way this league is organised. Slovenian teams are all put in one group and play exclusively with each other until the final tournament(s) that I don't know how many teams are going to qualify for. Their group is going to be counted for the purpose of Slovenian championship, but at the moment I could not find any rule for regulating the competitition after the final round scheduled for March 9th.

On the other hand, Croatian team which will play under the name "Medveščak" but will actually be Croatian national team minus some players who play abroad, shall play 11 opponents from Austria, Hungary and Czech Republic, but to what end? I looked at the sites of Austrian federation as well as EBEL but could not find how many teams will go to the final tournaments.

Unlike EBYSL last season, when the motivation of Croatian players significantly fell in the second phase of the competition, it is to be expected for players to play at the highest possible level given that EBJL shall serve as the preparations and qualifications for the national U18 team that plays on March 24th in division IIA.

IHF Staff
    The EBJL format has been made more precise already some time ago, sorry for not posting this earlier. I took this from a posting on eishockeyforum.com and there's still some information missing (number of games in the regular season for the two groups etc.).

The regular season is played within two seperate groups

Blue group:

EC VSV
    EC-KAC
    LLZ Stmk Süd/GRaz 99ers
    Vienna Capitals Silver
    Black Wings Linz
    LA Stars Prep
    LA Stars Jun Prep
    HC Orli Znojmo
    KHL Medvescak Zagreb
    SAPA Fehervar AV19
    Miskolci Jegesmedve
    MAC Budapest

Green group:

Olimpija Ljubljana Junior
    HD Mladi Jesenice
    HKMK Bled
    Triglav Kranj
    HK Maribor
    Salvija Ljubljana

After the regular season there are 4 tournaments:

Tournament A: teams #1 – #3 group blue + team #1 green group
    Tournament B: teams #4 – #6 group blue + team #2 green group
    Tournament C: teams #7 – #9 group blue + team #3 green group
    Tournament D: teams #10 – #12 group blue + team #4 green group

Playoffs:

The winner of tournament A plays the runner up of tournament B in a best of 3 series (and the other way round) to qualify for the finals (best of 3 as well I guess);

The winner of the final is the champion of EBJL, the AUT U18 championship is played out between the two Austrian club teams with the most points after the regular season unless an Austrian club team wins the EBJL final.
    Last edited by RexKramer; 04-09-2013 at 10:37.

Why not like this? In both groups 9 teams, Slovenia and Hungaria are closer?

Green group:

HD Mladi Jesenice
    HKMK Bled
    Triglav Kranj
    HK Maribor
    Salvija Ljubljana
    SAPA Fehervar AV19
    Miskolci Jegesmedve
    MAC Budapest

The EBJL format has been made

The regular season is played within two seperate groups

Blue group:

EC VSV
    EC-KAC
    LLZ Stmk Süd/GRaz 99ers
    Vienna Capitals Silver
    Black Wings Linz
    LA Stars Prep
    LA Stars Jun Prep
    HC Orli Znojmo
    KHL Medvescak Zagreb
    SAPA Fehervar AV19
    Miskolci Jegesmedve
    MAC Budapest

Green group:

HD Mladi Jesenice
    HKMK Bled
    Triglav Kranj
    HK Maribor
    Salvija Ljubljana

After the regular season there are 4 tournaments:

Tournament A: teams #1 – #3 group blue + team #1 green group
    Tournament B: teams #4 – #6 group blue + team #2 green group
    Tournament C: teams #7 – #9 group blue + team #3 green group
    Tournament D: teams #10 – #12 group blue + team #4 green group

Playoffs:

The winner of tournament A plays the runner up of tournament B in a best of 3 series (and the other way round) to qualify for the finals (best of 3 as well I guess);

The winner of the final is the champion of EBJL, the AUT U18 championship is played out between the two Austrian club teams with the most points after the regular season unless an Austrian club team wins the EBJL final.
    A-light-in-the-dark: Sofia Bulgaria, Skopje Macedonia, Sarajevo & Pristina :)

IHF Member
    Playoffs:

Few days ago I posted a question abouzt the EBJL playoff format to the ErsteBank League site and got an answer that there would be no playoffs. The winner of the Tournament A is the winner of the league.

Given that regular championship ends on March 9th and Division IIA U18 World championship begins in late March, there would be little time to finish both semifinals and finals.

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    Few days ago I posted a question abouzt the EBJL playoff format to the ErsteBank League site and got an answer that there would be no playoffs. The winner of the Tournament A is the winner of the league.

Given that regular championship ends on March 9th and Division IIA U18 World championship begins in late March, there would be little time to finish both semifinals and finals.
    Interesting, thx for the information...they obviously didn't care to update the website which still explains the format as above.

Red Bull Salzburg won EBEL U20 for 15/16 season. Congrats

IHF Member
    Is there any information about the formats for the EBYSL and EBJL for the 2016/17 season?

Thread Information